PDA

View Full Version : A lot of baseball left

DaveIsHere
07-28-2004, 06:54 PM
Since everyone has had some time to digest todays game, are we really out of IT??? Of course not, we are only 3.5 games out of the division and around 2-3 out of the wild card. Ok so we are not leading the standings At this moment and we could have played better, but that is something to get excited about. We are in contention when you look at the overall picture and that means something. We can do this, don't jump off the bandwagon, don't give up!!!! Lets get to the playoff, there is still a lot of baseball to be played. While we can dissect our schedule to the Twins, the point is there is something to cheer about for the rest of the season. So get behind the guys and keep cheering them on to the end of what I think will be an exciting and successful season.

Dice
07-28-2004, 07:00 PM
Since everyone has had some time to digest todays game, are we really out of IT??? Of course not, we are only 3.5 games out of the division and around 2-3 out of the wild card. Ok so we are not leading the standings At this moment and we could have played better, but that is something to get excited about. We are in contention when you look at the overall picture and that means something. We can do this, don't jump off the bandwagon, don't give up!!!! Lets get to the playoff, there is still a lot of baseball to be played. While we can dissect our schedule to the Twins, the point is there is something to cheer about for the rest of the season. So get behind the guys and keep cheering them on to the end of what I think will be an exciting and successful season.
Amen to that. We swept them at Minnesota and they swept us here so we're even.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-28-2004, 07:02 PM
:Rocker: :Rocker: :Rocker:

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-28-2004, 07:03 PM
:threadrules:

DickAllen72
07-28-2004, 07:04 PM
We may or may not win this division, but we'll be in contention all the way to the end of the season. Ozzie is now experiencing first hand what has been wrong with this team for the past few years, and I'm confident he will take the right steps to solve it, with a little help from KW.

CPditka
07-28-2004, 07:05 PM
Its not time to start hanging our heads about this season. It was three game series, important yes, but not the end of the world. Minny has a horrible schedule and we can make up these games. If we can get towards the end of the season w/ a timely addition by KW by the end of the week we can make it to the season and Frank and "possibly" Maggs will be back. We must believe.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-28-2004, 07:11 PM
Amen to that. We swept them at Minnesota and they swept us here so we're even.
:rolleyes:
I was wondering how long it would take before somebody finally noted this fact.

pudge
07-28-2004, 07:15 PM
I'm just wondering how many seasons in a row are we going to be saying the same exact things? The broken record of the Sox since '00 is really getting annoying, that's my biggest gripe. I don't think we're out of it, I just wish we'd be in first for a while for a change.

WinTwins
07-28-2004, 07:23 PM
No way are the Sox out of this race. I'm a new poster to this site, and it seems everyone is WAY TOO DOWN on the Sox. I'm a Twins fan, but I know this Twins team is very beatable. I think you caught Radke and Santana at the wrong time, and the Sox kinda bumbled today's game down the stretch, but the Twins have flaws. And several posters have mentioned the brutal schedule for Minnesota--kind of a reversal of last year's schedule. Part of me hopes that Thomas and Maggs are done for the season, but I'd also like to see both teams show what they've got at full strength. Twins-Sox have six huge games in September and I hope they are interesting and intense for everyone!

itsnotrequired
07-28-2004, 07:29 PM
No way are the Sox out of this race. I'm a new poster to this site, and it seems everyone is WAY TOO DOWN on the Sox. I'm a Twins fan, but I know this Twins team is very beatable. I think you caught Radke and Santana at the wrong time, and the Sox kinda bumbled today's game down the stretch, but the Twins have flaws. And several posters have mentioned the brutal schedule for Minnesota--kind of a reversal of last year's schedule. Part of me hopes that Thomas and Maggs are done for the season, but I'd also like to see both teams show what they've got at full strength. Twins-Sox have six huge games in September and I hope they are interesting and intense for everyone! Welcome aboard!!!:smile:

I was at 2 of the 3 games of this last series. The Twins were on fire and the Sox were not exicuting, simple as that. I saw many hit-and-runs, sacrifice bunts and steals that the Twins put down in textbook fashion. Sox couldn't get it going at all. The Twins have flaws but it was hard to find many during this series. Still, I think the Sox will bring it around. They have been pretty streaky all year so hopefully today was the end of the slump!

JB98
07-28-2004, 07:37 PM
Welcome aboard!!!:smile:

I was at 2 of the 3 games of this last series. The Twins were on fire and the Sox were not exicuting, simple as that. I saw many hit-and-runs, sacrifice bunts and steals that the Twins put down in textbook fashion. Sox couldn't get it going at all. The Twins have flaws but it was hard to find many during this series. Still, I think the Sox will bring it around. They have been pretty streaky all year so hopefully today was the end of the slump!
The Twins are on a run where they've won 9 out of 10 right now. We caught them at a bad time, and they will cool off. It could be different in September, but the Sox have got to pick it up in the meantime. They can't afford to rely on the schedule to get them back in it. Today's performance was one of the worst of the season for the Sox. Don't let the fact that it was a one-run game fool you. Poor defense and bad situational hitting continue to plague us, just as has been the case the last three years.

LASOXFAN
07-28-2004, 07:39 PM
Two games out in the loss column. By this time next week the Sox will be tied in the loss column with the Twins. After Radke and Santana their pitching blows.

WinTwins
07-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Welcome aboard!!!:smile:

I saw many hit-and-runs, sacrifice bunts and steals that the Twins put down in textbook fashion. Sox couldn't get it going at all.

This is exactly the way the Twins like to play, and it seems like Ozzie wanted to "out-Twins" the Twins today, and it backfired with the caught-stealing and a few missed opportunities. The first two games netted them a big batch of solo HRs, but what can the Sox do with their current personnel? I don't think long-term smallball is the answer. They need another big bat, but then, who doesn't?

WinTwins
07-28-2004, 07:45 PM
Two games out in the loss column. By this time next week the Sox will be tied in the loss column with the Twins. After Radke and Santana their pitching blows.

Exactly right. As much depth and minor-league talent as the Twins show for position players, they are VERY vulnerable on the mound. Silva makes me nervous, and Lohse has been serving up batting practice all season. Although Benson is no ace, he could help the Twins matchup with the Sox (and others) in mid-rotation. Sort of a poor man's Freddy Garcia.

JB98
07-28-2004, 07:45 PM
This is exactly the way the Twins like to play, and it seems like Ozzie wanted to "out-Twins" the Twins today, and it backfired with the caught-stealing and a few missed opportunities. The first two games netted them a big batch of solo HRs, but what can the Sox do with their current personnel? I don't think long-term smallball is the answer. They need another big bat, but then, who doesn't?
Uh, oh. Now you're treading on thin ice, arguing that long-term smallball is not the answer for the Sox. Of course, you are exactly right, but a good number of posters on this board think more bunting is the cure for all the Sox ills.:cool:

WinTwins
07-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Uh, oh. Now you're treading on thin ice, arguing that long-term smallball is not the answer for the Sox. Of course, you are exactly right, but a good number of posters on this board think more bunting is the cure for all the Sox ills.:cool:

I don't know the Sox nearly as well as any of the long-timers on this board, but it all depends on your personnel. With Thomas and Maggs (and Valentin, Crede, Lee, etc.) the Sox look like a team of longballers. It wouldn't be right to have them play smallball. Now that the lineup is in, shall we say, transition, it might be time to try some things with Harris, Uribe, and a few others. But smallball for smallball's sake is worthless. We Twins fans would LOVE to have a Carlos Lee or Magglio to hit 30-40 HRs, but Gardenhire plays the cards he's dealt. What should the Sox do with their current lineup? I'm just not sure...you guys know the team far better than I do, but I fear Sox sluggers far more than Sox hit-and-runners.

Lip Man 1
07-28-2004, 08:14 PM
Yea those two or three solo home runs will win a bunch of games.

Lip

ode to veeck
07-28-2004, 08:17 PM

There were no solo HRs today and we shoulda won that game three times over ...

DaveIsHere
07-28-2004, 08:19 PM
WOW, my first thread to get a "this thread rules" guy on it...THANKS. It is quite amazing to see how different teams are built when you look at the Twins and the Sox. We still have plenty in the tank, hang in there and at the very least Frank will be back whick would be a huge boost. Lets deal with what we have, which Ozzie will take a few games to get used to, and move on and take a playoff spot

JB98
07-28-2004, 08:20 PM

Lip
That's why my argument has always been we struggle because of lack of men on base. We can't bunt, but that's not the reason we are losing. Radke retired 16 in a row Monday night. Santana retired 12 in a row Tuesday night. Everybody talks about advancing runners, but there have been very few runners to advance the last month or so.

Daver
07-28-2004, 08:25 PM
There were no solo HRs today and we shoulda won that game three times over ...
Where is the credit for Ben Davis getting his first homer of the year?

greenpeach
07-28-2004, 09:47 PM
Uh, oh. Now you're treading on thin ice, arguing that long-term smallball is not the answer for the Sox. Of course, you are exactly right, but a good number of posters on this board think more bunting is the cure for all the Sox ills.:cool:The only thing that will cure what ails this team are the early returns of both Maggs & Frank. However, I do feel that playing some "money ball" would help compensate for their losses. We have to rely less on the long ball with our two all-star calibre sluggers sidelined. Let's not make this situation more complicated than it actually is.

itsnotrequired
07-28-2004, 10:16 PM
Agreed on the "out-Twining". Small-ball has its place but not with this team and two on / no outs. Crede should have been swinging away and not trying to bunt, IMO. It was so heartbreaking to go from two on and no outs to two out and no one one!

Watching the Sox bunt "attempts" today was brutal. Timo's worked but could have easily been an out. The Twins laid down bunts like they practice them all the time.

itsnotrequired
07-28-2004, 10:16 PM
Where is the credit for Ben Davis getting his first homer of the year?
That HR was awesome and totally fired the crowd up. Congrats to Davis!

WSox8404
07-28-2004, 10:17 PM
Agreed on the "out-Twining". Small-ball has its place but not with this team and two on / no outs. Crede should have been swinging away and not trying to bunt, IMO. It was so heartbreaking to go from two on and no outs to two out and no one one!

Watching the Sox bunt "attempts" today was brutal. Timo's worked but could have easily been an out. The Twins laid down bunts like they practice them all the time.
Ha you are 0-4. I am 4-0. Maybe you should stop going altogether and I should start going more.

itsnotrequired
07-28-2004, 10:29 PM
Ha you are 0-4. I am 4-0. Maybe you should stop going altogether and I should start going more.
I wonder how long it would take after I added my signature before someone would point that out...:rolleyes: