PDA

View Full Version : Sox fans- who's optimistic?

soxwon
07-28-2004, 07:49 PM
i know its not the end of the world, we did play better today.
whos optomistic here? and why?
convert the pessimists.

DaveIsHere
07-28-2004, 07:57 PM
see my thread "a lot of baseball left" I am staying positive, ew are still there!!

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-28-2004, 07:58 PM
Sox Pride. You dont go just because we lost. Heck..did all the yankees fans leave when they got swept by the mets in interleague play? I love the sox no matter what. And i vow to always hate the cubs under any circumstance

DickAllen72
07-28-2004, 07:59 PM
convert the pessimists.

I'm still optimistic because I believe Ozzie is identifying the problems with this team and I believe he, along with a little help from KW, will solve them before too long.

We mayor may not win it, but I think we'll be in it all season.

jcirish85
07-28-2004, 08:16 PM
I'm still optimistic. Just look at the 2 schedules for the remaining of the year. The Sox have been taking care of buissness against bad teams this year too, so they should start getting hot again.

Foulke You
07-28-2004, 08:22 PM
I'm trying to keep an upbeat outlook for this team. This series hurt, no doubt about it. I think they have the starting pitching to stay in the hunt but I believe another veteran bat is needed and a middle reliever. I think KW isn't done dealing yet so if the Sox put this series behind them as Minnesota did when we swept them in their park, I think we'll be in this thing to the end. It could very well come down to those 6 games in September against the Twins, plus a healthy dose of KC and Detroit is still in our future.

Here is something positive, the Sox have 4 in Detroit starting tomorrow and the Twins have 3 against Boston starting Friday. We can gain a half game tomorrow with a win since the Twins are idle. If we take 3 of four against the Kitties and Boston takes 2 of 3, then we will have shaved 1.5 games off the division lead in one series. We have to take care of business against the Tigers and Royals. Simple as that. How this team rebounds in this upcoming 4 game set I believe will set the tone for how they finish this season. Hopefully, the team will be ready to play.

Lip Man 1
07-28-2004, 08:24 PM
Point of information:

The last time the Twins faced Boston they won 2 of 3...in Boston.

Lip

MrRoboto83
07-28-2004, 08:26 PM
We all thought we were doomed during the last Angels series, we still have a shot at this division, hopefully we can get the 10 game winning streak going.

Foulke You
07-28-2004, 08:29 PM
Point of information:

Lip
We're trying to stay POSITIVE here Lip. :rolleyes:

I'm predicting EMOTIONAL LETDOWN in Minneapolis after the Twins return home to play the Red Sox.:cool:

JB98
07-28-2004, 08:30 PM
convert the pessimists.
We played better today? That's news to me. The first two games we just got beat. Today, we gave this game away with foolish mistakes.

inta
07-28-2004, 08:32 PM
we have a shot at the division and maybe the wildcard... but who cares?
this team just doesn't get it done in the big games.

we can make the playoffs every year and it wouldnt mean a thing unless we go deep and win it all.

i can't see this sox team winning one playoff game.

ode to veeck
07-28-2004, 09:09 PM
This series sucked, but there's a lot of season left.

OEO Magglio
07-28-2004, 09:11 PM
I'm very optimistic. This series was brutal but the sox will be in the thick of things right down until the end of the year. I have confidence they'll be back in first in no time, within two weeks in fact. :D:

whitesoxwilkes
07-28-2004, 09:18 PM
Still here. Still optimistic. It's morning again in the AL Central.

gobears1987
07-28-2004, 09:22 PM
I'm positive, if we get a good guy this week we will be fine, look at the Twins schedule

OzzieBall2004
07-28-2004, 09:54 PM
Agreed. We're 3.5 back with roughly 60 games to go. Anyone who says its over is a quitter. This team matched its low these past three days (right up there with the Wrigley sweep). We cant fall back much further though, ketchup sucks.

LongLiveFisk
07-28-2004, 10:06 PM
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little down right now, but I'm definitely not out. I'm never out until the team is mathematically eliminated. You have to keep in mind the emotional roller coaster that makes up a long season. If you can learn to stay realistic and not make World Series plans with each win or become borderline suicidal with each loss, you'll be much better off. :smile:

skobabe8
07-28-2004, 10:10 PM
Still doin OK. Even though I want to punch LTP in the face for not doing what he always does....fly out. He does that in the 9th and we win. Anyone else excited to play KC 14 more times WITHOUT CARLOS BELTRAN?? :D:

SoxFanSince67
07-28-2004, 10:12 PM
If the Sox lost this series strictly due to the loss of Frank andMagds, then it is one thing, but if they lost (and I didn't see any of the games) due to lack of intensity, then I'm truely concerned.

Cellview22
07-28-2004, 10:18 PM
I'm staying optimistic. I think we'll see some changes in the lineup come Sunday, and after the deadline maybe certain players won't be on pins and needles..they can all breath a sigh of relief.

Reality check: Last year at this time, the Twins were 6.5 games out of first and still won the division.

We have the easiest schedule from now on; we'll be fine. Go Sox!

DickAllen72
07-28-2004, 10:22 PM
If the Sox lost this series strictly due to the loss of Frank andMagds, then it is one thing, but if they lost (and I didn't see any of the games) due to lack of intensity, then I'm truely concerned.

They didn't lose because of the loss of Frank and Maggs. They hit six home runs during the series. They lost because their top of the order guys didn't get on base, and they lost due to bad baserunning. They need to pick up a leadoff man who plays smart, knows how to bunt, and runs the bases well (Robbie?).

That said, I'm confident Ozzie will get this team playing better baseball and they'll be in it right down to the end of the season. They still have a shot.

MikeW
07-28-2004, 10:25 PM
I can't give up now. I haven't given up in 42 seasons so why start now. Remember, we haven't had that hot streak yet where we win 18 of 21. It's just around the corner. And to quote the late John Belushi, "Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" Absolutely not!!!!!!:cool:

DannyCaterFan
07-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Things may look bleak right now, but remember, it was just a few weeks ago when we swept the Twins in Minnesota. We had all the momentum then and proceeded to get swept by the Cubs enabling the Twins to gain some quick ground in the division. Things can change quickly, however I am concerned about how we are playing. The lineup is weak and our bench is non-existant. We have gotten away from playing "Ozzie ball", and seem to be swinging only for the fences. Let's see what happens over the next 10 games before panicking. There is plenty of ti,e to turn this thing around.

Dan H
07-28-2004, 10:50 PM
To me it is not pessimism or optimism. It is realism. Realistically, they are only 3 1/2 back and that margin can be made up in a week or two. Also on the realistic side, the Sox still haven't hit any kind of stride 100 games into the season.

This series was brutal as was with the A's, the Cubs, and the Angels. In those series, the Sox went 2-11. They can't afford too many more stretches like that. It is time for consistency.

bluestar
07-28-2004, 11:03 PM
To me it is not pessimism or optimism. It is realism. Realistically, they are only 3 1/2 back and that margin can be made up in a week or two. Also on the realistic side, the Sox still haven't hit any kind of stride 100 games into the season.

This series was brutal as was with the A's, the Cubs, and the Angels. In those series, the Sox went 2-11. They can't afford too many more stretches like that. It is time for consistency.
Amen to that.

Look at it this way, after the Sox swept the Twins in Minnesota, some of their fans probably felt like we do today. They played horribly in that series, and they were still facing the toughest part of their schedule.

The thing that bothers me the most is the apparent lack of any "Sox Pride" in this series. The Twins beat the Sox in every possible way in those first two games and then more or less tried to give us a game today, and we apparently didn't want it.

RKMeibalane
07-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Point of information:

Lip
Since when does something that took place in 2003 have any bearing on what's happening now?

WSox8404
07-28-2004, 11:16 PM
Since when does something that took place in 2003 have any bearing on what's happening now?
I don't think he means it is all important that they won last year. I think that he means they play good against good competition. Even though the Twins schedule is harder, they usually play up to it. They can't beat Detroit but I bet they do well against Boston.

Skorch
07-28-2004, 11:24 PM

It was earlier this season, actually. 6/22-6/24.

Whitesox029
07-29-2004, 12:12 AM
convert the pessimists.I've been optimistic all season. Today I was converted. This team cannot play like this and win anything, thomas or no thomas, maggs or no maggs. I will become an optimist again when I see Ozzie wearing a black and white world series ring. Until then, I'm sorry to say I am finished with optimism, because it only gets us down. That's not to say I won't watch Sox games, because I'm hopelessly addicted to the Sox. However, from now on I will expect to lose any given game until the final out is recorded. Any stupid freak boneheaded play is possible, no lead is big enough. I'm sorry, but I'm done.

Rudy Law
07-29-2004, 12:16 AM
I am still optimistic......They are in the race for the wild card also...and Boston doesn't look to good. Oakland has a pretty rough divison schedule. Make a move for a bat and aan arm. I won't give up till Math says its impossible!

DrCrawdad
07-29-2004, 12:19 AM
convert the pessimists.

I didn't watch the game, caught much of the game on radio at work. I don't think I could say the Sox played better today.

The Sox bullpen sucks. The Sox starters are unreliable. The Sox offensive relies on the 3 run HR. The Sox can't play baseball very well.

All that said, I have hope, as baseless as it maybe.

South Side
07-29-2004, 12:21 AM
I've been optimistic all season. Today I was converted. This team cannot play like this and win anything, thomas or no thomas, maggs or no maggs. I will become an optimist again when I see Ozzie wearing a black and white world series ring. Until then, I'm sorry to say I am finished with optimism, because it only gets us down. That's not to say I won't watch Sox games, because I'm hopelessly addicted to the Sox. However, from now on I will expect to lose any given game until the final out is recorded. Any stupid freak boneheaded play is possible, no lead is big enough. I'm sorry, but I'm done.
Yeah, it's the optimism that is bringing us all down. :rolleyes:

ode to veeck
07-29-2004, 12:54 AM
Yeah, it's the optimism that is bringing us all down.

LOL! post of the week material

Nellie_Fox
07-29-2004, 01:14 AM
Point of information:

LipPoint of information:

The last time the Sox faced the Twins they swept them....in Minneapolis.

So what?

I'm sick to death right now (it's even more miserable for a visible Sox fan living in Minnesota.) I'm not at all confident about the rest of the season with Frank and Maggs out. But I'll hang in there and hope for the schedule to be our friend.

ClaudelSleptHere
07-29-2004, 01:17 AM
I didn't watch the game, caught much of the game on radio at work. I don't think I could say the Sox played better today.

The Sox bullpen sucks. The Sox starters are unreliable. The Sox offensive relies on the 3 run HR. The Sox can't play baseball very well.

All that said, I have hope, as baseless as it maybe.

Actually, I would take a 3-run HR. When was the last time we hit one of those? Anyone??? We actually rely on the solo HR. Oops....this is an optimistic thread. My bad.

doublem23
07-29-2004, 01:20 AM
3 1/2 games out with 64 left... Yeah, that's insurmountable.

gosox3072
07-29-2004, 01:52 AM
I wouldnt say im very positive right now but im not giving up.

Tommarow we need to win, too bad we have our worst pitcher pitching, and we are playing in one of the biggest pitcher friendly parks in the leauge. THat means we will not score many runs without the luxury of short HRs.

mcfish
07-29-2004, 02:52 AM
I'm still optimistic. Just look at the 2 schedules for the remaining of the year. The Sox have been taking care of buissness against bad teams this year too, so they should start getting hot again.
Sorry, this will sound pessimistic, but if this is true and we make it to the playoffs mostly because we prey on bad teams - won't we just get swept in the playoffs again?

mealfred13
07-29-2004, 03:47 AM
I'm still optimistic because I believe Ozzie is identifying the problems with this team and I believe he, along with a little help from KW, will solve them before too long.

We [may or] may not win it, but I think we'll be in it all season.I gotta agree with this. I've been a fan ever since I could watch TV with my dad, and no matter how crappy the Sox play, I've watched every game religiously. I can't say that I'm optimistic about our chances this year, the way we've been playing, and with all the injuries and declining pitching, but if this means Ozzie will be working during the offseason to put together a team that can play hard and "Go Go", I'm exstatic. Frankly, I'm tired of the homerun show our team has become.

In the meantime, I'll be watching all the games, rooting them on, and if these guys can get their acts together, there's plenty of time to right the ship.

Nard
07-29-2004, 03:57 AM
The "the sky is not falling" threads are almost as annoying as the "the sky is falling" threads.

Jesus. There are over 60 games yet and we haven't dug ourself into that big of a hole yet.

When things are clicking, we're unbeatable. When things are ugly, we can't salvage a single game.

Look at the streaks the past 30 days. 5 game winner, 5 game loser. 4 game winner, now a 4 game loser.

It all depends if things are clicking at the right time. Will things be clicking in late September, and more importantly, in the playoffs.

That's the only thing that matters.

If we get 6-7 games below the Twins, then you can start panicking already. But that's not gonna happen anytime soon, 'cause we're due for a 5-game win streak starting tomorrow. And, by the way, the Twinks dropped 3 games to KC just like a week ago, wasn't it?

idseer
07-29-2004, 07:44 AM
tho their problems are many i still believe they will take the division.

Flight #24
07-29-2004, 11:29 AM
Reasons for optimism:

1) Despite the bonehead errors today, the Sox have generally been a godo defensive team this year. Crede especially. So while it's not an excuse, I wouldn't expect us to be giving away many more games this year because of our D.

2) We actually played a lot better "small ball" yesterday. In the 8th we had some high quality ABs from Crede, Burke, Borchard. Timo laid down one of the best bunts I've ever seen to score the run. We play more like that and we'll be fine.

3) The pitching, while not great, has not been the major problem. Shingo & Damaso continue to be awesome. I have faith that Buehrle & Garcia will pitch better than they did in this series.

4) We're done with the Twins for a while. For whatever reason, the Twins & A's are teams that IMO the Sox have mental problems against. We don't have that against any other team.

5) The schedule is way in our favor.

Overall, I think this can actually be a positive for the Sox. We're playing more small ball than 2003 (or before), but not enough - this proved it. It also showed them what they can do if they do play it: Win close games even without Frank & Maggs. It takes time to develop those skills, and the Twins ahve been doing it for years. But not many other teams can do it anywhere close to the way that they can.

Hopefully by the time we see the Twins again, we'll even have some good news on Frank & Maggs, and be in first.

OurBitchinMinny
07-29-2004, 12:10 PM
I still love the sox and always will, but I really think, trying to be objective, that this current team the sox have will finish second at best and possibly third. They could sweep detroit (probably not) and the twins could get swept by boston and things will change. But as of right now, the sox are only 2 games ahead of cleveland.

vegyrex
07-29-2004, 12:24 PM
It ain't over until the fat lady sings, and right now she's got a gig at Wrigley:smile:

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
07-29-2004, 12:47 PM
It ain't over until the fat lady sings, and right now she's got a gig at Wrigley:smile:

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Thats great!

there is still plenty of time left in the season. last year around this time the sox had a losing record and made a huge surge and were in 1st place at one point. we have those surges every second half and if we do again this year, with the record we have we can definitely take the division.

our pitching likes to give up runs in clumps at a time. if the pitchers can avoid that more we will be much better. the top of our lineup also did not show up the last series. if those 2 things improve, a long with some other littler things, we will be fine and the division will be ours.

whatever happens i still dont see us not winning this division. it is definitely ours for the taking. all the sox have to do is want it, if they do, they got it

South Side
07-29-2004, 12:56 PM
I still love the sox and always will, but I really think, trying to be objective, that this current team the sox have will finish second at best and possibly third. They could sweep detroit (probably not) and the twins could get swept by boston and things will change. But as of right now, the sox are only 2 games ahead of cleveland.
This is getting obnoxious... This is an optimism thread. I just finished reading a post from Flight that really made me happy... You've told us your doom day thoughts a million times as has every other pessamist here. Can you guys just give it a rest?

Whitesox029
07-29-2004, 10:54 PM
Yeah, it's the optimism that is bringing us all down. :rolleyes:I suspect that you meant to use teal. However, as your post stands, you didn't, and you are correct. Don't you think this whole thing would be a lot easier on you if you expected the worst? If you expect the worst, you'll never be disappointed, but you will very likely be pleasantly surprised. Expect the best, and you will be disappointed, because in my 16 years so far, the Sox have but once played as good as or better than their talent allowed (2000) and that didn't even extend into October. Good luck with your "optimism."

South Side
07-29-2004, 11:10 PM
I suspect that you meant to use teal. However, as your post stands, you didn't, and you are correct. Don't you think this whole thing would be a lot easier on you if you expected the worst? If you expect the worst, you'll never be disappointed, but you will very likely be pleasantly surprised. Expect the best, and you will be disappointed, because in my 16 years so far, the Sox have but once played as good as or better than their talent allowed (2000) and that didn't even extend into October. Good luck with your "optimism."
Teal was so not neccesary. I'm sorry, I didn't know there were rules to handling your emotions when your team goes on a 5 game losing streak. And no, the optimism is not bringing me down... it's your's and many other's constant reiteration that the season is over... if you are correct, than I am wasting my time in following them and that is bringing me down b/c I have better things to do. I went to the game at home when they played the Angels and lost 12-0. Biggest waste of time and most dissapointing game I've ever gone to... a week or 2 later they went on a winning streak and were 10 games over .500. Bottom line, you have no idea what is going to happen in the next week. Why? B/c you're not the one going out there and playing... Your negativity is offensive to me and I don't think I should be punished b/c I am not a manic depressive who predicts the worst...

Parrothead
07-30-2004, 12:16 AM
Got to tell ya..... I have not been with this team since the season started. Sure I still go to the games but I don't think they will win. That is why I have dropped my partial season tickets and have attended less games this year.

mealfred13
07-30-2004, 12:23 AM
Got to tell ya..... I have not been with this team since the season started. Sure I still go to the games but I don't think they will win. That is why I have dropped my partial season tickets and have attended less games this year.
Let me be the first to say it: "You are a crappy fan."

WikdChiSoxFan
07-30-2004, 12:31 AM
I want to vomit....and it's not just cause of you or fans like you...it is just the way things are going...let me tell you, I'm really depressed about the sweep from the twins, ...and the contined loss against the tigers...but let's face it...we're hurting... I don't think we're gonna lose and I don't guarantee that we're going to win, but as a sox fan through thick and thin, through 1 or 8 beers, i must support our ability to make things happen. I do not support trading everything away or giving up, although I can't see much long term (2-4,5 years potential), I do support the sox, and I guarantee you I will be there on "Fan Appreciation Day" if we are way out of the race. (If we are in the race, I hope I can't get tickets.) Although, we've lost our ONLY consistency, I think the sox need to focus game to game and pull through. It won't be easy, but as a fan, I can't give up...as I know my player counterpart better not do!

If Paulie or A-R decides to flop, confront me personally and I will buy you a drink. I'm the one cheering, "Give me a C!", "Give me an 'arl Everett!'" "What's that spell!?" (I may be sweaty and loud, but I am completely harmless, unless you're a Twins fan.)

StrTrkker
07-30-2004, 12:49 AM
I am a Sox fan in and out and yes those losses to Minnesota hurt and the 1st game loss to Detroit to put us 4 games back is not a good sign, but...

As long as the Sox have a chance I am with them 100%. My White Sox flag is flying high in the front of my house and will be there until the season is over. I will be there next Friday nite and wether they are still 4 games back or more I will cheer for them as I have before.

milrtyme28
07-30-2004, 02:34 AM
I hate to give up now but the top of the order is a real weakness at this point - watching the twins play this weekend gave me a new found respect for that team as they seem to get the job done when it counts.

that said, **** the twins, this isnt over yet, we have a lot of time left, and I will be at every sunday home game for the rest of the season because i hope, think, pray, wish, etc that we can pull it out.

July 31st deadline is a whole 36 hours away after all. :cool: Kenny get it done!!