PDA

View Full Version : Paging Robbie Alomar

DickAllen72
07-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Two things the Sox lack are a leadoff hitter and smart ballplayers. Robbie Alomar would be an improvement as our leadoff man and would bring smarts and baseball instincts on the basepaths and in the field.

He would make a good mentor for Willie and Juan, both of whom I am not ready to give up on. I think they both have good futures, providing they learn how to play smarter baseball which they can learn from Robbie.

If Robbie can be acquired without giving up too much, he should be here before the trading deadline Saturday.

Baby Fisk
07-28-2004, 04:55 PM
OMG! Has it come to this?! :o:

RKMeibalane
07-28-2004, 04:56 PM
Uhhh... no.

Paulwny
07-28-2004, 04:59 PM
If Robbie can be acquired without giving up too much, he should be here before the trading deadline Saturday.
Why trade for him? He maybe released by the yankmees if this deal goes through.
From Newsday:
Arizona, which declared $60 million in losses last year, would love to rid of itself of injured reliever Matt Mantei (right shoulder tendinitis), who hasn't pitched since May 8 and makes $7 million, and second baseman Roberto Alomar, the former Met, who barely plays and makes about $925,000. The Yankees could accept these players along with Johnson and simply release them.

DickAllen72
07-28-2004, 04:59 PM
Robbie would stabilize the lineup by giving us an everyday leadoff hitter. He would bring better instincts on the basepaths and in the field. He knows how to bunt and when to bunt. Willie and Juan could learn a lot from this guy.

Otherwise, I hope you're enjoying the ever changing lineup, the bad bunting, baserunning follies and solo home runs, becuase it's not going to change without bringing a smart player in here.

Deadguy
07-28-2004, 05:00 PM
The only reason Robbie is hanging on is to reach 3,000 hits. He already has two WS rings, and will offer next to nothing for this team. Let him end up in Tampa Bay. The place where washed up veterans chasing 3,000 hits go to die.

Foulke29
07-28-2004, 05:12 PM
You know what? At least Alomar is hitting about .290 this year? I'll say that much. His glove is still good too. I'll bet he doesn't drop pop flies in foul territory.

DickAllen72
07-28-2004, 05:27 PM
You know what? At least Alomar is hitting about .290 this year? I'll say that much. His glove is still good too. I'll bet he doesn't drop pop flies in foul territory.

Amen Bro.

benjamin
07-28-2004, 05:28 PM
Robbie would stabilize the lineup by giving us an everyday leadoff hitter. He would bring better instincts on the basepaths and in the field. He knows how to bunt and when to bunt. Willie and Juan could learn a lot from this guy.

Otherwise, I hope you're enjoying the ever changing lineup, the bad bunting, baserunning follies and solo home runs, becuase it's not going to change without bringing a smart player in here.
I'm smart.

Doesn't mean I'd be any good on a Major League Baseball team.

I'd rather have a moron with a .400 OBP.

PS - If it were the Robbie Alomar of 8 years ago, I would welcome him. His current 82-year-old version does nothing for me.

DickAllen72
07-28-2004, 05:58 PM
I'm smart.

Doesn't mean I'd be any good on a Major League Baseball team.

I'd rather have a moron with a .400 OBP.

PS - If it were the Robbie Alomar of 8 years ago, I would welcome him. His current 82-year-old version does nothing for me.

I thought it was obvious that I meant "baseball smarts" or baseball instincts.

Currently, we are playing stupid baseball. We don't run the bases well. We don't steal when we should. Our 2B and SS don't hold runners at 2B, allowing them to get a good jump to steal third.

We can't bunt. We swing for the fences instead of just trying to put the ball in play. We don't have a leadoff man.

Robbie Alomar, while being way past his prime, is still a big improvement in all these areas. He's currently hitting around .290. He's not a long term solution, but based on what's currently available on the market, he's one of the best options out there. He can really help Ozzie out implementing "smart" baseball instead of solo-home run corpseball.

Blob
07-28-2004, 06:00 PM
His glove is still good too. I'll bet he doesn't drop pop flies in foul territory.Is he going to cover the whole field then?

inta
07-28-2004, 06:02 PM
ummm. does anyone remember the nonsense that went on with robbie last fall?
i cannot see robbie wanting to come here ever again, nor KW bringing him back.

DickAllen72
07-28-2004, 06:05 PM
OMG! Has it come to this?! :o:

Yes. Yes it has.

DickAllen72
07-28-2004, 06:09 PM
ummm. does anyone remember the nonsense that went on with robbie last fall?
i cannot see robbie wanting to come here ever again, nor KW bringing him back.

From what I recall, KW wanted him back, made him an offer, his agent didn't accept it, KW pulled the offer off the table and made other plans, then Robbie's agent accepted the offer which no longer was valid and KW made a lower counter-offer. Robbie was insulted and thought the Sox were disrespecting him. He wound up signing for less than the Sox were giving him.

I bet he'd be glad to come back to the Sox now.

CPditka
07-28-2004, 07:09 PM
Yeah, Ive got an Idea... now that we have Crazy Carl.

Lets get Robbie Alomar, flash Gordon (i wish), Brian Daubach, and any other scrubs we can get back from last years team.

A. Cavatica
07-28-2004, 08:08 PM
:threadsucks

ode to veeck
07-28-2004, 08:12 PM
Yeah, Ive got an Idea... now that we have Crazy Carl.

Lets get Robbie Alomar, flash Gordon (i wish), Brian Daubach, and any other scrubs we can get back from last years team
Let' snot forget Colon. Barto's still throwin heat with guts. He pitched well for the Sox against Twinks last sept. The last year's gang wouldn't be the same without him.

BeerHandle
07-28-2004, 08:30 PM
Two things the Sox lack are a leadoff hitter and smart ballplayers. Robbie Alomar would be an improvement as our leadoff man and would bring smarts and baseball instincts on the basepaths and in the field.

He would make a good mentor for Willie and Juan, both of whom I am not ready to give up on. I think they both have good futures, providing they learn how to play smarter baseball which they can learn from Robbie.

OLD, Did nothing for us last year, batted the same as he did in NYM and has been hurt for most of the year. Let me throw in that he wanted to play for a contender and that the D-backs had a better chance then the Sox.

Tell him to take a walk!:dtroll:

DickAllen72
07-28-2004, 09:10 PM
Yeah, right people. If you think getting Robbie back is such a bad idea, what would you suggest? Iknow, lets get Beltran, Unit, Pavano and Carl Crawford! Yeah, that's realistic.

KW already told Ozzie this morning that "there's not much out there." Robbie is out there. Do any of you wise guys think he wouldn't do better than what we've been getting out of Harris/Uribe lately? (BTW I still like both of them but they're not ready for prime time yet)

Do any of you guys think Robbie couldn't run the bases better than what we've been seeing? He's hitting around .290 now. Even at .265 he's an improvement over the .190 we've been getting from our 2B position.

Do any of you guys think he would be a liability in the field?

I doubt he would cost much in players to acquire (I wouldn't give too much for him either). If getting Robbie sucks so much, tell me whom you would get that would be better, who is available, and wouldn't cost too much!

skobabe8
07-28-2004, 09:18 PM
I'll jump on the alomar bandwagon, dickallen. I trust him more than uribe (at this point), and he knows how to bunt. Plus, how is chasing 3,000 hits a bad thing? I'll take a guy who's actually trying to get base hits instead of home runs. Thats what we need on this team. Plus, joining a contending team alongside your brother can only help his play.

DickAllen72
07-28-2004, 09:28 PM
I'll jump on the alomar bandwagon, dickallen. I trust him more than uribe (at this point), and he knows how to bunt. Plus, how is chasing 3,000 hits a bad thing? I'll take a guy who's actually trying to get base hits instead of home runs. Thats what we need on this team. Plus, joining a contending team alongside your brother can only help his play.

Thank you!

As you point out, getting a guy who's trying to get base hits will certainly be a welcome addition on a team that has been playing "long ball or nothing."

Getting Robbie is not going to make the impact a Beltran or a Johnson would make, but he certainly would improve our team.

Bucktown
07-28-2004, 10:02 PM
Last year I whacked myself in the head with a 2 x 4 and it really hurt. But, I am going to try it again and hope I get a different outcome.

WSox8404
07-28-2004, 10:19 PM
Paging Robbie Alomar. Paging Robbie Alomar. Stay where you are!!! I repeat, stay where you are!!!

DickAllen72
07-28-2004, 10:21 PM
Last year I whacked myself in the head with a 2 x 4 and it really hurt. But, I am going to try it again and hope I get a different outcome.
That's your problem.

Last year the White Sox picked up Robbie Alomar and he solidified the infield defense, made a better shortstop out of Valentin and along with the acquisition of Carl Everett sparked the Sox to a big second half comeback, actually taking over first place until September when all of our big bats (except for Everett) choked.

I'd like to bring Robbie back again because he's still better than what we've been producing from the 2B and leadoff positions.

Bucktown
07-29-2004, 12:46 AM
Don't forget Paniaqua. He is probably available.

DickAllen72
08-05-2004, 05:12 PM
I told you so, I told you so, I told you so!!!!

PS. I was also told Loaiza was "untradeable"!
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:
:)