PDA

View Full Version : Levine - Sox Inquire About Preston Wilson

BeerHandle
07-28-2004, 01:42 PM
Bruce Levine reported that the Sox have inquired about Preston Wilson. KW is looking for a leadoff hitter. I checked out Preston's stats this year and they are not that good.

SoxxoS
07-28-2004, 01:43 PM
And he costs a small fortune. Whatever, we need a hitter.

samram
07-28-2004, 01:47 PM
Bruce Levine reported that the Sox have inquired about Preston Wilson. KW is looking for a leadoff hitter. I checked out Preston's stats this year and they are not that good.
He would not be a good answer for the leadoff spot because of his strikeouts. Didn't he either challenge or break the single season record 2 or 3 years ago when he was with Florida?

Kogs35
07-28-2004, 01:51 PM
hes was injured and came off the dl in june.

LauraJ14
07-28-2004, 01:52 PM
He's only played 38 games this year so his numbers don't look great. He had a good year last season, hit 21 homers at Coors and 15 away from Coors. Had a good batting average against Clev, Minn and Detroit last year.

BeerHandle
07-28-2004, 02:15 PM
And he costs a small fortune. Whatever, we need a hitter.
$9 million for this year. Is he a free agent after this year?

samram
07-28-2004, 02:18 PM
$9 million for this year. Is he a free agent after this year?
No. He is owed $12M for 2005. The Rockies would have to pay some salary if they want to trade him.

princek
07-28-2004, 02:20 PM
YUCK!!! would be one of the worst aquisitions possibly ever with that albatross contract.

BeerHandle
07-28-2004, 02:20 PM
No. He is owed $12M for 2005. The Rockies would have to pay some salary if they want to trade him.
Yep, his stats do not show he is even worth 1/2 of that. We need a slap hitter, that can steal and take walks.

fledgedrallycap
07-28-2004, 02:21 PM
Nope. At this point the only thing the Sox could do is take on the whole thing, because we have no chips to offer people to eat contracts (i.e. Extra Prospects).

Preston has been hurt and is a solid player. I'll take him to play in our outfield.

samram
07-28-2004, 02:25 PM
Nope. At this point the only thing the Sox could do is take on the whole thing, because we have no chips to offer people to eat contracts (i.e. Extra Prospects).

Preston has been hurt and is a solid player. I'll take him to play in our outfield.
Not for $12M. That's money that could be spent on Beltran or Maggs (or several other players), who are both better than Wilson. We don't need 150 extra Ks in the lineup.

fledgedrallycap
07-28-2004, 02:28 PM
Not for $12M. That's money that could be spent on Beltran or Maggs (or several other players), who are both better than Wilson. We don't need 150 extra Ks in the lineup.
Agreed. I would take him, but there are other options. I was just stating that the Sox cannot play games anymore with giving teams additional prospects to keep paying off the contract of the traded player. It's not that Kenny won't do it, just that nobody is left of any value that we would be willing to part with.

JohnBasedowYoda
07-28-2004, 02:37 PM
what about preston lacey

SoxxoS
07-28-2004, 02:40 PM
It's possilble that Colorade just wants to get the majority of the 16.5 million owed to him off the books...and get desperate, similar to what they did with Mike Hampton.

Mickster
07-28-2004, 02:50 PM
Don't do it, Kenny!!!!

Soxfest
07-28-2004, 02:55 PM
PW no way C.Crawford would be good and cheap JR favorite word.

fledgedrallycap
07-28-2004, 02:57 PM
PW no way C.Crawford would be good and cheap JR favorite word.How do you plan to pry him away from TB???

JDP
07-28-2004, 03:15 PM
It's possilble that Colorade just wants to get the majority of the 16.5 million owed to him off the books...and get desperate, similar to what they did with Mike Hampton.The Rockies got off lightly; it's the Fish that got gang raped. Florida is paying $30.0 for last year, 2004 and 2005 of Hampton's contract -- and he's a friggin Brave! The Rockies are only paying his massive signing bonus from 2003-2005 (@ $1.9M/year), and of course, his contract when he was stinking up a Rockies uniform -- they have nothing else 'on the books.'

Frater Perdurabo
07-28-2004, 03:49 PM
If Kenny wants someone with a large contract but who can hit, why not Jason Kendall?

Kendall's career = .305 career AVG, .386 OBP, .805 OPS
Wilson's career = .266 AVG, .334 OBP, .815 OPS

They both make around $9 million this year and have "generous" contracts. Both are 30. Kendall plays a more significant defensive position (catcher), while Wilson plays outfield, where the Sox already have Borchard, Lee, Rowand and Everett all under contract for beyond this year and producing at a high level or capable or producing at a high level in the short-term future.

Kendall can catch and lead off or bat #2 and get on base for the Lee, Everett, Crede and Konerko to have more RBI opportunities. He also could DH twice per week while Everett played right field and Burke catches. Alomar can continue to call games from the bench like he does now for Davis and Burke.

Pittsburgh would be willing to give up Kendall for a bucket of balls, just to rid themselves of his contract. If we threw in a minor league pitching prospect, they might actually pick up part of his contract.

The only reason I can see to NOT pursue Kendall would be his unwillingness to agree to a deal to come to the Sox.

The Sox already have outfielders who are producing better right now than Wilson, at a lower cost.

fledgedrallycap
07-28-2004, 03:56 PM
If Kenny wants someone with a large contract but who can hit, why not Jason Kendall?

Kendall's career = .305 career AVG, .386 OBP, .805 OPS
Wilson's career = .266 AVG, .334 OBP, .815 OPS

They both make around $9 million this year and have "generous" contracts. Both are 30. Kendall plays a more significant defensive position (catcher), while Wilson plays outfield, where the Sox already have Borchard, Lee, Rowand and Everett all under contract for beyond this year and producing at a high level or capable or producing at a high level in the short-term future.

Kendall can catch and lead off or bat #2 and get on base for the Lee, Everett, Crede and Konerko to have more RBI opportunities. He also could DH twice per week while Everett played right field and Burke catches. Alomar can continue to call games from the bench like he does now for Davis and Burke.

Pittsburgh would be willing to give up Kendall for a bucket of balls, just to rid themselves of his contract. If we threw in a minor league pitching prospect, they might actually pick up part of his contract.

The only reason I can see to NOT pursue Kendall would be his unwillingness to agree to a deal to come to the Sox.

The Sox already have outfielders who are producing better right now than Wilson, at a lower cost.
The only problem is our catchers are doing well, at a lesser cost (it seems Davis has found a swing...).

Anyway, our biggest weakness has to be second base right now. With Uribe and Harris not playing well; but we few options available RF becomes the next logical place to look.

Frater Perdurabo
07-28-2004, 04:16 PM
The only problem is our catchers are doing well, at a lesser cost (it seems Davis has found a swing...).

Anyway, our biggest weakness has to be second base right now. With Uribe and Harris not playing well; but we few options available RF becomes the next logical place to look.Then DH Kendall. He still can get on base. Move Everett to right. Problem solved.

When Burke and Davis cool off, Kendall can catch.

Harris/Uribe may make a decent 2B platoon which bats ninth.

Kendall (DH) - Rowand (CF) - Everett (RF) - Lee (LF) - Konerko (1B) - Valentin (SS) - Crede (3B) - Burke/Davis (C) - Uribe/Harris (2B)

Win1ForMe
07-28-2004, 04:20 PM
Kendall (DH) - Rowand (CF) - Everett (RF) - Lee (LF) - Konerko (1B) - Valentin (SS) - Crede (3B) - Burke/Davis (C) - Uribe/Harris (2B)
Man, that lineup still looks like it would suck.

RKMeibalane
07-28-2004, 04:32 PM
Yes, it does.

TomParrish79
07-28-2004, 04:36 PM
it would and the people bitching about wanting kendall would be saying why are we paying for this bum.

Hell get preston wilson, he can join the rest of these guys in swinging for the fences at every at bat.

chisoxfan79
07-28-2004, 04:39 PM
We need a slap hitter, that can steal and take walks.
Jason Kendall or trade Carlos Lee for Carl Crawford The D-rays need some thunder and the sox need speed

Win1ForMe
07-28-2004, 05:00 PM
I will say that a simple move like acquiring Graff from KC would make that lineup look much better, at least against lefties.

LHP: Kendall (C) - Graff (2B) - Lee (LF) - Everett (DH) - Konerko (1B) - Rowand (CF) - Valentin/Uribe (SS) - Crede (3B) - Perez (RF)

RHP: Kendall (C) - Perez (RF) - Lee (LF) - Everett (DH) - Konerko (1B) - Valentin (SS) - Rowand (CF) - Crede (3B) - Harris (2B)

:unsure: ...........On second thought, that still doesn't look good at all.

Frater Perdurabo
07-28-2004, 05:04 PM
Better than it is now, or with Preston Wilson leading off.

Win1ForMe
07-28-2004, 05:17 PM
Better than it is now, or with Preston Wilson leading off.
Don't get me wrong, I like the Kendall idea and don't want to see Preston Wilson anywhere near our lineup, it's just that even with Kendall the lineup still has holes.

ma-gaga
07-28-2004, 05:45 PM
The Rockies got off lightly; it's the Fish that got gang raped. Florida is paying $30.0 for last year, 2004 and 2005 of Hampton's contract -- and he's a friggin Brave! The Rockies are only paying his massive signing bonus from 2003-2005 (@ $1.9M/year), and of course, his contract when he was stinking up a Rockies uniform -- they have nothing else 'on the books.'I'm pretty sure that you are very wrong. The Fish dumped C.Johnson (26.0MM) and P.Wilson (28.1MM), and paid for 23.5MM of Hampton's salary which is a significant overall savings.

As I figure;
the Fish SAVED $25.3MM
the Rockies SAVED $22.9MM
the Braves SPENT $48.2MM

Basically the Fish/Rockies got the Braves to pick up some of their massive contracts. I put together a summary spreadsheet last year. To me, it's pretty clear that the Marlins were indeed the big winner in this deal.

habibharu
07-28-2004, 05:50 PM
Anyway, our biggest weakness has to be second base right now. With Uribe and Harris not playing well; but we few options available RF becomes the next logical place to look. he could get the job done:http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/kent_jeff.jpg

ma-gaga
07-28-2004, 05:54 PM
Here you go, check it out for yourself. This is unofficial and I spent way too much time at work on this, but it was a lot of fun.

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~dunca016/Marlins-Braves-Rockies%202003%20Deal.jpg

DickAllen72
07-28-2004, 06:19 PM
After the game, I heard Bruce Levine say the Sox and Rockies talked about Preston but the Sox were not interested. FWIW

We'd be better off getting Robbie Alomar to lead off.

OurBitchinMinny
07-28-2004, 06:20 PM
It would be better than doing nothing. The only two guys in our lineup who are better hitters are PK and Carlos. Everyone else pretty much sucks

Jjav829
07-28-2004, 06:27 PM
No thanks. I have no interest in Preston Wilson. He makes way too much money for a guy that is all or nothing. He had one big year last year which I don't think surprised anyone since he was playing in Colorado. I'd rather go after Jason Kendall who makes a little less and is a MUCH better fit for this team.

habibharu
07-28-2004, 06:52 PM
No thanks. I have no interest in Preston Wilson. He makes way too much money for a guy that is all or nothing. He had one big year last year which I don't think surprised anyone since he was playing in Colorado. I'd rather go after Jason Kendall who makes a little less and is a MUCH better fit for this team. definately. this team is deep at OF, and we got nothin at C

CPditka
07-28-2004, 07:02 PM
I still dont get why Kendall's name is not being persued further by KW, he is such a good fit for this team. We need a long term answer at Catcher. We have nothing there. I'd rather overpay for a huge gaping need than another "run of the mill" outfielder. Outfielders are a dime a dozen for the most part (not saying we dont need a good one). But do we have any idea of what Pittsburgh would want, now that Benson is all but locked up to go to the Twinkies?

duke of dorwood
07-28-2004, 07:56 PM
Kendall solves several problems-can bat second, hits left handed, catches-it just makes too much sense for it to happen

OEO Magglio
07-28-2004, 08:07 PM
Kendall solves several problems-can bat second, hits left handed, catches-it just makes too much sense for it to happen
He's right handed but yes he'd be a perfect top of the order guy and would be a perfect fit here, if only he didn't make so much money.

Lip Man 1
07-28-2004, 08:12 PM
OEO says: "if only he didn't make so much money."

A cynic would say, 'now we come to the REAL reason...'

Lip

BeerHandle
07-28-2004, 08:27 PM
After the game, I heard Bruce Levine say the Sox and Rockies talked about Preston but the Sox were not interested. FWIW

We'd be better off getting Robbie Alomar to lead off.
No thanks on ALomar. He did nothing for us last year. He had the same average as he did in NY. He is old and has been on the DL all year. Didn't he say he wanted to be on a contender and the D-Backs had a better chance then the Sox?

Mohoney
07-28-2004, 09:44 PM

That's why I say we should get PITCHING!

ANY PITCHING!

Bullpen, a starter, anything!

WSox8404
07-28-2004, 10:05 PM
Kendal would end the problem of solo shots. I would guarentee that.

Iguana775
07-29-2004, 07:38 AM
Don't do it, Kenny!!!!
So what are you true feelings??? lol

gosox41
07-29-2004, 07:43 AM
KW things Preston is a lead off hitter????:(:

Do I need to any further on this?

Bob

Jjav829
07-29-2004, 09:12 AM
KW things Preston is a lead off hitter????:(:

Do I need to any further on this?

BobI don't think Kenny thinks of Wilson as a leadoff hitter. I think that was Levine's own commentary because of Ozzie's recent comments about wanting some on base guys for the top of the order. Besides, someone already posted saying that it was the Rockies that initiated the conversation and that the Sox backed down.