PDA

View Full Version : CHicago NewsMedia Watch 7.28.04

Hangar18
07-28-2004, 12:11 PM
Nice to see the Media (though NOT nearly heavy enough) chastising
the CUbs for Hiding the Concrete thing from their own fans, risking serious
injuries, all so they could continue to get Huge Crowds at their games.
Terrible. The Score today actually gave the sox about 45 mins of talk
before reverting to cubtalk/allthetime again. It was VERY STRANGE to hear
Murph bring up some good points about the SOX. He seems to be more knowledgable about the SOX than his STOOGE Huebner. Not sure I should be giving Murph Kudos for talkking SOX 30/70, but I will anyway.

Also, one of the RARE times this year, where the SOX outdid the cubs in
stories. Can you believe it?
Cubune:
4 cub stories
7 sox stories
Cub-Times:
2 cub stories
5 sox stories

CUBS 1205
SOX 872

DaveIsHere
07-28-2004, 12:33 PM
Well thats only because everyone including the people here are jumping ship with 2 months to go and a 2.5 game deficit, pretty pathetic if you ask me. What happened to that SOX Pride everyone has been screaming, oh we lost 3 in a row big deal. I will remember everyone that is talking white flag BS today when we win the division, I have the list, it is onmy desk, I will call all of them out when the time arrives. At least I believe in my team:angry: :angry:

daveeym
07-28-2004, 12:47 PM
Well I guess this is as good a thread as any for this so here goes, drove by ranalli's on montrose just east of ashland last night, caught a glimpse on their chalkboard out in front of the restaurant and I swear it had in cubbie red and blue "Wait until next year." Almost turned the car around to go back and verify.

WSox8404
07-28-2004, 12:55 PM
Ha. How many times have we honestly heard that phrase over the last 20 years?

Uncle_Patrick
07-28-2004, 01:09 PM
Hey Hangar,
Thought you might be interested to hear that on Fox New in the Morning, as they went into sports, either Patrick Elwood or Bruce Wolf (I can't remember which now) reported that the News Desk received a complaint that they talk too much White Sox on that show, so they decided to lead with the Cubs scores first (which, I think, they do 90% of the time anyway). Anyway, I thought that was pretty amazing complaint for anyone to make since the sports segment is only a couple minutes long in the first place.

hsnterprize
07-28-2004, 06:40 PM
Hey Hangar,
Thought you might be interested to hear that on Fox New in the Morning, as they went into sports, either Patrick Elwood or Bruce Wolf (I can't remember which now) reported that the News Desk received a complaint that they talk too much White Sox on that show, so they decided to lead with the Cubs scores first (which, I think, they do 90% of the time anyway). Anyway, I thought that was pretty amazing complaint for anyone to make since the sports segment is only a couple minutes long in the first place. I'll tell you this Uncle_Patrick...

One day when I was reporting sports on my radio station, the Sox had won a game the night before while the Cubs were off. Most of my sports casts led with Sox news with the occasional leading preview of a Cubs/Cardinals game. After so many reports, I was talking with the host of the show, and he and the station manager jokingly told me I was "biased" towards the White Sox. I didn't know whether I should've laughed or fumed.

I think with the Cubs falling as far as they have, the attention tide has turned south. Now, if only the Sox could take advantage of that and WIN a few games here and there against teams like...uh...I don't know...Minnesota.

hsnterprize
07-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Nice to see the Media (though NOT nearly heavy enough) chastising
the CUbs for Hiding the Concrete thing from their own fans, risking serious
injuries, all so they could continue to get Huge Crowds at their games.
Terrible. The Score today actually gave the sox about 45 mins of talk
before reverting to cubtalk/allthetime again. It was VERY STRANGE to hear
Murph bring up some good points about the SOX. He seems to be more knowledgable about the SOX than his STOOGE Huebner. Not sure I should be giving Murph Kudos for talkking SOX 30/70, but I will anyway.

Also, one of the RARE times this year, where the SOX outdid the cubs in
stories. Can you believe it?
Cubune:
4 cub stories
7 sox stories
Cub-Times:
2 cub stories
5 sox stories

CUBS 1205
SOX 872 Hey Hangar...

Dude...as a reporter, I appreciate your efforts to keep bringing to life the "Cubbie love" in the press. Let me share this with you...I think you've been noticing this, but the "attention tide" has been turning south lately. Now, let me warn you ahead of time that most of the attention over the weekend will go north because not only will Wrigley Field be full, but Greg Maddux will be going for his 300th career win. Now, I won't have a problem with the attention Maddux gets...a 300th win is big no matter what uniform the pitcher wears. And think about it like this...if the Cubs don't make the post season at all, this will be one of the "highlights" of an otherwise "disappointing" season for the nort' siders.

Members of the media are saying (this past series none-withstanding) that the Sox are the more "fun" team to watch over the Cubs since the Cubs are making tons of excuses about why they're losing. However, isn't it funny how momentum changes after a week? After the Cubs' fans writing off their team's season as all but dead, now they're playing like world-beaters. And after our team had been playing well, now the Sox are not only 3 1/2 games out of the division race, but too many Sox fans are ready to throw in the towel. 7 days...so little time, but so much going on.