PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie-- Too Soft?

kjhanson
07-28-2004, 12:12 PM
Although a lot of my opinion may stem from Ozzie's reaction to the Torii Hunter hit, I believe Ozzie has been too soft in running this ballclub. I've only heard of one instance where he actually held a closed door meeting with players to fire them up. Not only that, but in last nite's game he had a chance to make a statement. I'm specifically talking about the Uribe check-swing that was appealed to first and he was called out on. Ozzie immediately came out of the dugout to talk to the home plate umpire; apparently to question why he even appealed to first on that play. Ozzie was calm and professional, but in a crucial situation like that you have to make a statement. He should've jarred a little bit, got the crowd going some. To that point we had only 2 hits and were down 4-1. The crowd needed some firing up and the players needed to know they had someone who had their back.
Other problems with Ozzie:

Handling a pitching staff- He never sends Don Cooper out at the right time. It's always one batter too late
I would liked to have seen a response to the Torii Hunter situation similar to that of Kenny Williams (""Evidently I had more of a problem with it than anyone in our dugout," Williams said.")
For a rookie manager, I'd say he's doing pretty well, and I still have confidence that this team will make the playoffs and succeed, even with his flaws.

Any other thoughts or concerns with Ozzie?

Baby Fisk
07-28-2004, 12:23 PM
Although a lot of my opinion may stem from Ozzie's reaction to the Torii Hunter hit, I believe Ozzie has been too soft in running this ballclub.

I would liked to have seen a response to the Torii Hunter situation similar to that of Kenny Williams (""Evidently I had more of a problem with it than anyone in our dugout," Williams said.")
The Torii Hunter thing is stickin' in my craw. It's like we just let it go. I never thought I would make this comparison, but Tony LaRussa would have ORDERED Hunter be plunked the very next game. Period. No excuses, no letting it go. This bugs me. :angry:

BTW -- bullet points! Nice formatting kjhanson!

misty60481
07-28-2004, 12:26 PM
I think a couple of years managing in the minors might have helped I think he is over his head sometimes. I thought that situation with Hunter Mon. nite would fire up this team but they just rolled over and played dead, that is Ozzies job to motivate, I just wonder what say someone like Fisk would have to say to the team if he was in charge I bet this team would know we dont stand for it, instead we seemed like everything was just OK, Ozzie missed a good chance to prove he really has fire. Ozzie seems to make more noise in fron t
of a microphone (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=309,22577937,whitesoxinteractiv e.com,0) or Tv camera.

Fungo
07-28-2004, 12:43 PM
I would liked to have seen a response to the Torii Hunter situation similar to that of Kenny Williams (""Evidently I had more of a problem with it than anyone in our dugout," Williams said.")I can think of a handful of pitchers who would have taken matters into their own hands and plunked the next twins batter. Clemens, Wood, Morris to name a few.