PDA

View Full Version : Uribe Checkswing

gosox3072
07-28-2004, 01:06 AM
I was at the game toniteso i didnt see it well, but i just saw the highlight of the seventh inning when Juan Uribe struck out on a 3-2 check swing. The highlight was real quick, but it looked to me that juan wasnt even close to going around. For those of you who watched the game was that a terrible call or am i wrong?

ndgt10
07-28-2004, 01:11 AM
It was close, but he didn't go around IMO.

AnkleSox
07-28-2004, 01:13 AM
Yeah plus stewart got called safe on an infield hit which to me looked like he was completely out. Maybe row 20 in the upper deck doesn't really give me a good view though.

gosox3072
07-28-2004, 01:19 AM
That check swing was a HUGE call. It all points to my final conclusion that i have been saying for about a year now.....the twins are the luckiest team in sports. They beat us fair and square tonite but over the season this team gets almost EVERY bounce and EVERY call possible, what is up with this?

:gulp: i might need to drink this one off

OEO Magglio
07-28-2004, 01:25 AM
That check swing was a HUGE call. It all points to my final conclusion that i have been saying for about a year now.....the twins are the luckiest team in sports. They beat us fair and square tonite but over the season this team gets almost EVERY bounce and EVERY call possible, what is up with this?

:gulp: i might need to drink this one offGood teams get "lucky" breaks, that's just what happens.

manuelsucks
07-28-2004, 01:47 AM
Good teams get "lucky" breaks, that's just what happens.
Haha like the 2001 Bears....if they got any more breaks they would have borke the whole darn thing! (that doesn't make much sense). They weren't really that good, just lucky.

guillen4life13
07-28-2004, 01:50 AM
that was not the only call tonight that I didn't agree with.

Granted, I didn't see any slow-mo replays, but (IIRC) when Koskie stole second, I thought Ben Davis had gunned him down for sure. Then there was a pickoff of him at second which I also thought was pretty sure fire. Couple other things I can't remember offhand.

owensmouth
07-28-2004, 02:27 AM
About Uribe... guys hitting .125 don't get many breaks. Nor do they deserve them.

mealfred13
07-28-2004, 04:13 AM
I was at the game tonight, and here's what I could see from upper deck row 3 on the first base line.

Uribe Check Swing - From that vantage point, it was OBVIOUS he didn't go around. My dad was watching the game at home and he mentioned that Uribe didn't go around on the replay and it wasn't even close. Bad call.

Stewart Infield Hit - IIRC, it wasn't Stewart, it was Guzman, and Stewart was already on base. It was a close play, but from where we were sitting, it seemed like it was a tie going to the runner. He's pretty fast and no one in my section seemed to think he was out. Good call.

Koskie stealing second - You may have been sitting on the third base side, because from the first base side you could see Uribe dropped the ball and it was in the dirt by his leg. Davis definately beat him with the throw, but Uribe didn't catch it. Good call. I didn't see the pickoff attempt though.

Hunter's Infield Ground-rule Double - I have NO CLUE what that was all about. Ball hit Crede's glove and popped straight into the stands. I would THINK that would be a dead ball and a single, or a fielder's choice E6. Somehow they gave Hunter second which started a big inning. I don't know the offical rule on that so maybe somone can enlighten me.

Overall, there's weren't many BAD calls, but some calls were off, like the Uribe swing. However, Uribe's at-bat was the 3rd out, and we had 2 outs before that to bring the 2 runners home and we didn't get the job done. No sense blaming the umps for that.

Vsahajpal
07-28-2004, 06:24 AM
Hunter's Infield Ground-rule Double - I have NO CLUE what that was all about. Ball hit Crede's glove and popped straight into the stands. I would THINK that would be a dead ball and a single, or a fielder's choice E6. Somehow they gave Hunter second which started a big inning. I don't know the offical rule on that so maybe somone can enlighten me.

The batter becomes a runner when_ (a) He hits a fair ball; (b) The third strike called by the umpire is not caught, providing (1) first base is unoccupied, or (2) first base is occupied with two out; When a batter becomes a base runner on a third strike not caught by the catcher and starts for the dugout, or his position, and then realizes his situation and attempts then to reach first base, he is not out unless he or first base is tagged before he reaches first base. If, however, he actually reaches the dugout or dugout steps, he may not then attempt to go to first base and shall be out. (c) A fair ball, after having passed a fielder other than the pitcher, or after having been touched by a fielder, including the pitcher, shall touch an umpire or runner on fair territory; (d) A fair ball passes over a fence or into the stands at a distance from home base of 250 feet or more. Such hit entitles the batter to a home run when he shall have touched all bases legally. A fair fly ball that passes out of the playing field at a point less than 250 feet from home base shall entitle the batter to advance to second base only; (e) A fair ball, after touching the ground, bounds into the stands, or passes through, over or under a fence, or through or under a scoreboard, or through or under shrubbery, or vines on the fence, in which case the batter and the runners shall be entitled to advance two bases; (f) Any fair ball which, either before or after touching the ground, passes through or under a fence, or through or under a scoreboard, or through any opening in the fence or scoreboard, or through or under shrubbery, or vines on the fence, or which sticks in a fence or scoreboard, in which case the batter and the runners shall be entitled to two bases; (g) Any bounding fair ball is deflected by the fielder into the stands, or over or under a fence on fair or foul territory, in which case the batter and all runners shall be entitled to advance two bases; (h) Any fair fly ball is deflected by the fielder into the stands, or over the fence into foul territory, in which case the batter shall be entitled to advance to second base; but if deflected into the stands or over the fence in fair territory, the batter shall be entitled to a home run. However, should such a fair fly be deflected at a point less than 250 feet from home plate, the batter shall be entitled to two bases only.

ND_Sox_Fan
07-28-2004, 08:01 AM
that was not the only call tonight that I didn't agree with.

Granted, I didn't see any slow-mo replays, but (IIRC) when Koskie stole second, I thought Ben Davis had gunned him down for sure. Then there was a pickoff of him at second which I also thought was pretty sure fire. Couple other things I can't remember offhand.
On the steal, Uribe dropped the ball - it was sitting behind the base when he made the tag - otherwise Koskie was out by a mile.

Brian26
07-28-2004, 09:43 AM
The most annoying thing about the check-swing call was the umpire's totally animated and delayed ring-up. Seemed like he took forever to make the call.

nlentz88
07-28-2004, 09:50 AM
The ump missed the call on the check swing. Uribe definitely didn't go around. The bat never broke the plane. It was a bad called, but hey, bad calls happen. Let's just get those Twinkies tonight and avoid the sweep. If we can come out of this series only 1.5 games back, I'll take it.

mealfred13
07-28-2004, 02:00 PM
(g) Any bounding fair ball is deflected by the fielder into the stands, or over or under a fence on fair or foul territory, in which case the batter and all runners shall be entitled to advance two bases; (h) Any fair fly ball is deflected by the fielder into the stands, or over the fence into foul territory, in which case the batter shall be entitled to advance to second base;
Thank you! That's that then.

oeo
07-28-2004, 02:10 PM
That umpire was obviously not paying attention at all because a couple of pitches before that specific one where Uribe was called out, the Twins appealed. Why didn't he do anything? Then he waited about 3-5 seconds after the appeal and just called him out. That pisses me off when the umpire delays like that...like they don't know what is going on. Also, maybe my seat wasn't the greatest, but it seemed like the home plate umpire made a lot of bad calls.

jfo go go sox
07-28-2004, 05:06 PM
I was at the game and sitting in Sec. 101. Was it me or did the strike zone look like it was from middle thigh to 4 inches below the knees. Like, shoe boxes are bigger than that?

Blob
07-28-2004, 06:03 PM
I saw the replay he did not go. But what are you going to do? Sit and whine about it???

gosox3072
07-29-2004, 12:57 AM
I saw the replay he did not go. But what are you going to do? Sit and whine about it???Yes:redneck