PDA

View Full Version : Stark on Kenny trying to trade/farm system

Jjav829
07-28-2004, 01:02 AM
There was an interesting little blurb in Jayson Stark's latest column.

A bunch of teams report that White Sox GM Kenny Williams has inquired about nearly every right-handed-hitting outfielder who might be available. But an official of one team Williams contacted says that, after trading five prospects for Freddy Garcia (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6168) and Carl Everett (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5073), the Sox don't have much left.

"Their system has slipped," the official said. "They've traded away a lot of players. They've got some speed-gun arms at the lower levels. But there's no impact-type pitching down there. They have some outfielders (Joe Borchard (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6849), Ryan Sweeney). But they'd have a hard time finding enough to make a major deal, in our view."Not surprised about the prospect thing, but it's interesting to see that Kenny is inquiring into nearly every right handed OF available.

WSox8404
07-28-2004, 01:07 AM
There was an interesting little blurb in Jayson Stark's latest column.

Not surprised about the prospect thing, but it's interesting to see that Kenny is inquiring into nearly every right handed OF available.
Who are some that are out there? I am drawing blanks.

Jjav829
07-28-2004, 01:15 AM
Who are some that are out there? I am drawing blanks.
Right Handed outfielders? Obviously I don't know for sure what players are available, but I'm sure Danny Bautista is one he's looked into. Preston Wilson's contract is likely too big. Maybe taking a chance on Juan Gonzalez? Most other OF that seem to be available are lefties (Burnitz, Walker).

Bisco Stu
07-28-2004, 01:27 AM
KW's biggest mistake was wasting Rauch etc on that guy who doesn't believe in Barney. Nice to see he four-bagged it tonight, hope I'm proven wrong. Damn I wish we could have gotten Kendall or Finley.

HomeFish
07-28-2004, 02:03 AM
KW's biggest mistake was wasting Rauch etc on that guy who doesn't believe in Barney. Nice to see he four-bagged it tonight, hope I'm proven wrong. Damn I wish we could have gotten Kendall or Finley.

The homerun was off the Twins' "mop-up" guy, according to a Twins fan sitting near me.

Dadawg_77
07-28-2004, 09:42 AM
A bunch of teams report that White Sox GM Kenny Williams has inquired about nearly every right-handed-hitting outfielder who might be available. But an official of one team Williams contacted says that, after trading five prospects for Freddy Garcia (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6168) and Carl Everett (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5073), the Sox don't have much left.

"Their system has slipped," the official said. "They've traded away a lot of players. They've got some speed-gun arms at the lower levels. But there's no impact-type pitching down there. They have some outfielders (Joe Borchard (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6849), Ryan Sweeney). But they'd have a hard time finding enough to make a major deal, in our view."
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1847650

CPditka
07-28-2004, 11:29 AM
I knew our farm system was/is slipping, but having nothing of value to trade is a scary thought. I think the organization needs to focus on creating a Twins/A's - esque farm system. They need to rethink how their prospects are brought up. Creating a good system will make your team the envy of the league like the afore mentioned teams. I think this should be a priority in the offseason.

Tekijawa
07-28-2004, 11:36 AM
I knew our farm system was/is slipping, but having nothing of value to trade is a scary thought. I think the organization needs to focus on creating a Twins/A's - esque farm system. They need to rethink how their prospects are brought up. Creating a good system will make your team the envy of the league like the afore mentioned teams. I think this should be a priority in the offseason.
I think that the priority in the offseason should be to build a MAJOR LEAGE TEAM that is the envy of the league, screw the minors... I want a winner here in Chicago!

idseer
07-28-2004, 12:15 PM
I think that the priority in the offseason should be to build a MAJOR LEAGE TEAM that is the envy of the league, screw the minors... I want a winner here in Chicago!
screw the minors?

isn't that what one of our illustrious gm's said before he became our announcer?

the minors are a teams foundation. without a good one you better have a LOT of cash. do the sox strike you as having a lot of cash?

a lot of you wanted to "go for it" this year and stripping the minors is the result of that. my concern all along was that, if we didn't make it this year anyway we'd be in bad shape for the next 10 years!
now i don't think we've 'stripped' our system yet, but i also don't think there's much more room for those kinds of deals.
it's ROTTEN luck that magglio and frank will both have lost about a half season or more, but it happens. i don't want to see our system 'screwed' just to "go for broke" this year. more often than not people who go for broke end up ....... well ... BROKE!

Lip Man 1
07-28-2004, 12:47 PM
Once again...

Steve Finley has said he will only play for a WEST COAST team.

It is very difficult to have faith in the Sox minor league system when they have produced so few impact pitchers (they've done a decent job in position players though...)

That's not totally their fault...the Sox never are able to get a top ten draft pick and like Dave Wills said in his interview there aren't a lot of impact pitchers drafted after the first round.

Like with most things the Sox are stuck in the middle... an 83-79 average record the last six years, they never have (get) the income to be a major market club so they can't act like one (which would negate the minor league question entirely) but they are never bad enough to get the high draft picks that turn into guys like recently Mauer or Prior.

The treadmill to nowhere continues. (But I do wish I had an answer to solve it!)

Lip

mrzerofan
07-28-2004, 12:59 PM
I would be overjoyed if they traded borchard. He has shown me nothing.

Flight #24
07-28-2004, 01:10 PM
Once again...

Steve Finley has said he will only play for a WEST COAST team.

It is very difficult to have faith in the Sox minor league system when they have produced so few impact pitchers (they've done a decent job in position players though...)

That's not totally their fault...the Sox never are able to get a top ten draft pick and like Dave Wills said in his interview there aren't a lot of impact pitchers drafted after the first round.

Like with most things the Sox are stuck in the middle... an 83-79 average record the last six years, they never have (get) the income to be a major market club so they can't act like one (which would negate the minor league question entirely) but they are never bad enough to get the high draft picks that turn into guys like recently Mauer or Prior.

The treadmill to nowhere continues. (But I do wish I had an answer to solve it!)

Lip
FWIW - I wouldn't be surprised if KW & co recognize that and figure that making a strong attempt this year and if it fails, dropping lower than we normally would have in rebuilding but getting a high pick or 2 is better than the status quo.

Just our & his luck that after doing those deals, 2 of our top 4 key guys go out (the other 2 being Buehrle & Garcia).

samram
07-28-2004, 01:19 PM
Right Handed outfielders? Obviously I don't know for sure what players are available, but I'm sure Danny Bautista is one he's looked into. Preston Wilson's contract is likely too big. Maybe taking a chance on Juan Gonzalez? Most other OF that seem to be available are lefties (Burnitz, Walker).
I think Conine may also be available. Is JuanGone even healthy yet? Also, the righties mentioned are not exactly top players- I don't see how anyone would have to give up a ton to get Danny Bautista or Gonzalez.