PDA

View Full Version : what do we need?

idseer
07-27-2004, 01:51 PM
i think with this team as it stands we can take the division.

if we can only make one more big move it has to be pitching.
while it would be nice to fill every hole we have i now firmly believe we need pitching more than anything else if we want to go someplace in the playoffs.

for one thing, i think that either thomas or magglio, and perhaps both, will be back before the playoffs begin. that will help a great deal right there.
and while we need strong middle relief, i've come to phg's way of thinking in that getting a relief pitcher (unless it's a closer, which we don't need) is a waste of time because getting another good starter does both things .... gives us stronger starters AND relief. kinda like 2 for the price of one.

don't dispair sox fans! even if we somehow lost all 3 of these to the twins i think the odds are still on our side.

Dadawg_77
07-27-2004, 01:54 PM
I don't think we have the bats to take the division unless they wake up. The Sox need to make a big move to acquire a big time hitter, or it won't matter when Mags or Thomas show as we will be also rans.

Palehose13
07-27-2004, 01:54 PM
I think a hitter is imperative. Starting pitching should be before relief pitching cause Sho can be thrown in the pen.

idseer
07-27-2004, 01:59 PM
I don't think we have the bats to take the division unless they wake up. The Sox need to make a big move to acquire a big time hitter, or it won't matter when Mags or Thomas show as we will be also rans.
not sure why you think they don't have the bats.
lee, konerko, rowand, valentin (when he's hot), uribe. this team can put a lot of runs on the board even without thomas or magglio.

i think our pitching is better and i KNOW our schedule is better. i think we're in.

habibharu
07-27-2004, 02:03 PM
this team is in big trouble! we gotta PK carrying us now, but would anyone be surprised if he hit under .200 in August? valentin cant hit anything right now. crede has been terrible the whole year. uribe had a good game in the detroit series, but has been terrble since june. harris doesnt do jack. everett has come down to earth, and is probably gonna hit .250, .260 the rest of the way.

fquaye149
07-27-2004, 02:06 PM
lee, konerko, rowand, valentin (when he's hot), uribe. this team can put a lot of runs on the board even without thomas or magglio.

i think our pitching is better and i KNOW our schedule is better. i think we're in.
great. you just set him up to tell us how much better jermaine dye, marcus scutaro, mark kotsay and erubiel durazo are.

habibharu
07-27-2004, 02:07 PM
great. you just set him up to tell us how much better jermaine dye, marcus scutaro, mark kotsay and erubiel durazo are. dont forget about crosby! and its marco scutaro!

idseer
07-27-2004, 02:08 PM
this team is in big trouble! we gotta PK carrying us now, but would anyone be surprised if he hit under .200 in August? valentin cant hit anything right now. crede has been terrible the whole year. uribe had a good game in the detroit series, but has been terrble since june. harris doesnt do jack. everett has come down to earth, and is probably gonna hit .250, .260 the rest of the way.
but look at our competition.

ford and guzman are the only guys hitting decent for the twins. we aren't alone in the hitting woe dept. as a team we're hitting ten points higher than they are.

Dadawg_77
07-27-2004, 02:08 PM

Lee, Konerko are good, but are streaky. With Thomas and Mags, Lee and Konerko are perfect compliments to them. Without them, I am not sure they can carry the team.

I am not completely sold on Rowand, as not sure if he is just hot, facing the right type of pitcher for him so far. Valentin is a power guy but for him to be effective, we need OBP guys to get on in front of him. Uribe, well I think while July is aberration (hopefully) so was April. He is a replacement level player and not someone who I want to rely on. Harris can get OBP but has no power. There is second half Crede so he might be able to turn it up but not enough to replace a Thomas or Mags. Catcher well they are the team's ninth batter. The bench is weak, Timo Perez is the best player coming off of it.

habibharu
07-27-2004, 02:09 PM

ford and guzman are the only guys hitting decent for the twins. we aren't alone in the hitting woe dept. as a team we're hitting ten points higher than they are. yes, but they are probably gonna get benson, who, yes is not as good as he is pitching right now, but is much better than scho. and the way he is pitching, maybe even better than loaiza

Dadawg_77
07-27-2004, 02:10 PM
great. you just set him up to tell us how much better jermaine dye, marcus scutaro, mark kotsay and erubiel durazo are.
For the record I would like to note who brought out the Oakland reference first as is the usual.

habibharu
07-27-2004, 02:11 PM
Lee, Konerko are good, but are streaky. With Thomas and Mags, Lee and Konerko are perfect compliments to them. Without them, I am not sure they can carry the team.

I am not completely sold on Rowand, as not sure if he is just hot, facing the right type of pitcher for him so far. Valentin is a power guy but for him to be effective, we need OBP guys to get on in front of him. Uribe, well I think while July is aberration (hopefully) so was April. He is a replacement level player and not someone who I want to rely on. Harris can get OBP but has no power. There is second half Crede so he might be able to turn it up but not enough to replace a Thomas or Mags. Catcher well they are the team's ninth batter. The bench is weak, Timo Perez is the best player coming off of it. very good point. guys with OBP are very important, especially now, with big frank gone.

idseer
07-27-2004, 02:13 PM

I am not completely sold on Rowand, as not sure if he is just hot, facing the right type of pitcher for him so far. Valentin is a power guy but for him to be effective, we need OBP guys to get on in front of him. Uribe, well I think while July is aberration (hopefully) so was April. He is a replacement level player and not someone who I want to rely on. Harris can get OBP but has no power. There is second half Crede so he might be able to turn it up but not enough to replace a Thomas or Mags. Catcher well they are the team's ninth batter. The bench is weak, Timo Perez is the best player coming off of it.
i DO agree they don't look great, but again, i was talking within the context of our division. and if everett picks it up a little, and if we have another good starter thrown in i just don't think minnesota has the horses to keep up.

plus we'll be looking better for the playoffs, especially if we can get at least 1 of our 2 big bats back.

habibharu
07-27-2004, 02:14 PM
i DO agree they don't look great, but again, i was talking within the context of our division. and if everett picks it up a little, and if we have another good starter thrown in i just don't think minnesota has the horses to keep up.

plus we'll be looking better for the playoffs, especially if we can get at least 1 of our 2 big bats back. what good starter are we gonna get? Perennial allstar Cory Lidle?

idseer
07-27-2004, 02:15 PM
yes, but they are probably gonna get benson, who, yes is not as good as he is pitching right now, but is much better than scho. and the way he is pitching, maybe even better than loaiza
benson is really an unknown here. he'd be a nl'er coming to the american for the first time.

PLUS they don't have him yet. besides he'd be offset with OUR pitching acquisition (if THAT happens :smile: ).

Dadawg_77
07-27-2004, 02:16 PM

ford and guzman are the only guys hitting decent for the twins. we aren't alone in the hitting woe dept. as a team we're hitting ten points higher than they are.
Mornuea is a major improvement over Minasdsafdasdfslddlfkasdhicz, so the Twins will add good amount of pop there. If Mauer comes back in time to help the Twins, it will hurt us. While the Sox have better premium hitters, the Twins have better middle of the road players. I would take Stewart, Koskie, LeCoy, Jones over Rowland, Crede, Burke, Everett.

fquaye149
07-27-2004, 02:31 PM
For the record I would like to note who brought out the Oakland reference first as is the usual.
gmab. It's just as if I said, "oh man here comes bush with that victory in Iraq talk."

The point is our lineup now should be enough to beat the twins' lineup as long as our pitching stays better than theirs, which is can with the addition of another good SP and a righty out of the pen.

wdelaney72
07-27-2004, 02:59 PM
gmab. It's just as if I said, "oh man here comes bush with that victory in Iraq talk."

The point is our lineup now should be enough to beat the twins' lineup as long as our pitching stays better than theirs, which is can with the addition of another good SP and a righty out of the pen.
Our lineup without Magglio is not better than the Twins. See last night's game as an example.

fquaye149
07-27-2004, 05:22 PM
Our lineup without Magglio is not better than the Twins. See last night's game as an example.

thanks for the news flash. but it is as good as the twins, and i will bank on that. what will win or lose the division for us is pitching. the twins will not outscore us. if you think they will, i would suggest thinking again.

he_gone_89
07-27-2004, 05:34 PM
i dont think that we need to trade for a pitcher,I think we can solve that problem by looking around in charlotte. What we really need is a Power hitting Catcher. And the only names that come to my mind are,Jason Kendall,javy Lopez,doug mirabelli,and mike lieberthal [and the last 2 are already on playoff contenders]

Lip Man 1
07-27-2004, 06:36 PM
I agree with what Dave Wills said in his interview:

“I firmly believe that you can win or lose games in the 6th or 7th innings as well as in the 9th inning. I think the Sox need another quality arm out of the bullpen. I also think they need some balance in the lineup and by that I don’t automatically mean a left handed hitter. They need a different type of player for the lineup. Like Kenny Williams said, a ‘grinder,’ a Chuck Knoblach type. Someone who can get on base, run, steal, hit the ball the other way, drive pitchers crazy.”
Lip

Paulwny
07-28-2004, 09:35 AM
I have to agree.
Against above ave pitching the line-up as it stands will not score many runs.
Frank and Maggs are too big a lose.