PDA

View Full Version : Sox need to focus on the game...

Kilroy
07-27-2004, 09:02 AM
If the Sox are thinking about revenge and Torii Hunter tonight, they'll get just what they got last night.

Ass whippin.

They need to win tonight, and tomorrow, and they can't afford to be screwing around getting payback.

They'd be much better served to let Hunter stand in there for 2 days wondering when its coming than to just deliver the payback now. And then, when they come back in September, and we have a nice lead in the division, push a pitch right up Hunter's ****ing nose. Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Instead of focusing on that cheap shot, they need to focus on how poorly they played last night. Couldn't get runners in from 3rd w/ less than 2 outs, couldn't get a bunt down to save their lives... they looked ****ing pathetic.

Fungo
07-27-2004, 09:06 AM
Agreed. Letting Torii wonder when it's coming takes him out of his game. We need to focus on the game and win the next 2.

soxrme
07-27-2004, 09:15 AM
I agree with you 100%. We need to concentrate on the game, and what was up with that lineup last night? Valentine should not bat second and if Willie Harris is in again I will throw up:redface:

jackbrohamer
07-27-2004, 09:15 AM
*** is with people here saying we should ignore the cheap shot from Hunter and be polite to the poor Twinkie players? Paying Torii Hunter back and beating the Twinkies are not mutually exclusive. The Sox should show some stones and use the event to motivate themselves.

Fungo
07-27-2004, 09:22 AM
*** is with people here saying we should ignore the cheap shot from Hunter and be polite to the poor Twinkie players? Paying Torii Hunter back and beating the Twinkies are not mutually exclusive. The Sox should show some stones and use the event to motivate themselves.I agree, but his time will come. Right now, winning these next 2 games is more important that "getting even" with some punk. Focus on winning the game. Getting even with Hunter is a sidenote, not the other way around.

Kilroy
07-27-2004, 09:29 AM
*** is with people here saying we should ignore the cheap shot from Hunter and be polite to the poor Twinkie players? Paying Torii Hunter back and beating the Twinkies are not mutually exclusive. The Sox should show some stones and use the event to motivate themselves.No one said ignore it. Just don't let that be the focus. If the Sox do that, then the Twins and Hunter will have taken them out of their game, and they'll get their asses handed to them again. Would you feel good if Hunter took one in the ear but the Sox lost 8-3 after Garcia was ejected?

Your head. It's not just there to put your hat on. Use it.

eurotrash35
07-27-2004, 09:36 AM
How the Sox react tonight and tomorrow is going to determine my interest level for the rest of the season. Right now it seems like we just don't have any heart out there. The Twins are playing quality baseball and doing it right while we're up there hacking, trying to improve the individual stats. If the Sox let that first shot by Hunter slide without doing anything I'm not going to devote much more time to the team this year. We need to play some solid ball to close out the series, hopefully Freddy will get us on the right track.

jackbrohamer
07-27-2004, 09:41 AM
Would you feel good if Hunter took one in the ear but the Sox lost 8-3 after Garcia was ejected?
Um...no, which is why I never even remotely suggested that; I can explain what "not mutually exclusive" means if you would like. What I object to are people commenting that the team should do nothing and fans should not boo Hunter because he may get mad and play better.

gosox41
07-27-2004, 09:57 AM
*** is with people here saying we should ignore the cheap shot from Hunter and be polite to the poor Twinkie players? Paying Torii Hunter back and beating the Twinkies are not mutually exclusive. The Sox should show some stones and use the event to motivate themselves.
The Sox need to let their bats do the talking. They'll get Hunter eventually...but now's not the time. No need to pull a Zambrano.

Bob

MrRoboto83
07-27-2004, 10:03 AM
You know what will happen if Garcia hits Hunter, Ozzie will bring in Mike Jackson, then the game is over before it began

Mickster
07-27-2004, 10:05 AM
I agree, but his time will come. Right now, winning these next 2 games is more important that "getting even" with some punk. Focus on winning the game. Getting even with Hunter is a sidenote, not the other way around.
Do both. Win the game and drill Hunter. How difficult is that???

Fungo
07-27-2004, 10:09 AM
Do both. Win the game and drill Hunter. How difficult is that???Absolutely! But in that order. Winning the game is first and foremost.

iwcup
07-27-2004, 10:20 AM
Absolutely! But in that order. Winning the game is first and foremost.
I side with Kilroy, revenge IS a dish best served cold...focus on winning the next two...a getting back the division lead....

SoxOnTop
07-27-2004, 10:48 AM
The Sox need to let their bats do the talking. They'll get Hunter eventually...but now's not the time. No need to pull a Zambrano.

Bob
Zambrano is a wacko and hypocrite. This is a completely different situation.

If the pitching staff does not retaliate in some fashion to protect the hitters, then this team has not heart and you may as well pack it in for the rest of the season. If we are, in fact, a "Team" then we need to stick up for each other.

doublem23
07-27-2004, 10:51 AM
I don't know how much the pitching staff needs to retaliate (that's pretty much asking for an ejection and possible suspension, not to mention inciting a brawl which will lead to either more injuries or suspensions), however, if I'm on the Sox, first chance I get, I'm running over their catcher for pretty much no reason.

idseer
07-27-2004, 10:54 AM

If the pitching staff does not retaliate in some fashion to protect the hitters, then this team has not heart and you may as well pack it in for the rest of the season. If we are, in fact, a "Team" then we need to stick up for each other.
problem is ... there was no 'hitter' in this instance.
he wouldn't be protecting a thing. he'd be escalating a stupid childish war not unlike some countries i could mention.

i cannot believe how many bloodthirsty sox fans we have. you think if we hit hunter then all will be well and the twins will just say ... oh, ok. we're even?

you're all a pack of cards.

Kilroy
07-27-2004, 11:02 AM
i cannot believe how many bloodthirsty sox fans we have. you think if we hit hunter then all will be well and the twins will just say ... oh, ok. we're even?
Well I think that Hunter definitely has something coming from the Sox. Be it from the pitching staff, or a nice DP relay into his throat. But the time has to be right.

If that makes me bloodthirsty, so be it.

SoxOnTop
07-27-2004, 11:15 AM

BobZambrano is a wacko and hypocrite. This is a completely different situation.

MushMouth
07-27-2004, 11:18 AM
*** is with people here saying we should ignore the cheap shot from Hunter and be polite to the poor Twinkie players? Paying Torii Hunter back and beating the Twinkies are not mutually exclusive. The Sox should show some stones and use the event to motivate themselves.The Yanks do this every year, ALL winning teams do it. It is a simple baseball rule and if we don't enforce instead taking this baseball high road we might as hire Manuel back and put patches on our jerseys that say "Hey, second place and humiliation is okay with us!"

Sorry, a beaning is absolutely necessary tonight. :angry:

Going by Paulie's postgame comments, I think one is coming.

SoxOnTop
07-27-2004, 11:24 AM
problem is ... there was no 'hitter' in this instance.
he wouldn't be protecting a thing. he'd be escalating a stupid childish war not unlike some countries i could mention.

you're all a pack of cards.
You obviously don't understand the concept of retribution. You can't wait around for a similar situation to occur to get your point accross. Retribution needs to be quick so that it is obvious why it is occuring. Hunter's actions in effect said "This is what I'm willing to do to win, whether it's a cheap shot or not I don't care". We need to send the message that we won't be pushed around and that we are willing to get dirty if that's what it takes to win.

cubhater
07-27-2004, 11:26 AM
Getting back at Hunter doesn't have to happen tonight or the next game. Let him wonder when it will happen and hopefully it will distract him from the game. Did anyone notice how pathetic Sosa looked after Edmonds got hit the second time in their game? He was a scared wimp and wanted to get his AB over with as soon as possible. It would be nice if we could mess with Hunter's head the same way.

What the Sox need to do the rest of this series is send a message. Go in hard at their players on the bases and if we have a chance to plow into their catcher, go for it.

Kilroy
07-27-2004, 11:33 AM
We need to send the message that we won't be pushed around and that we are willing to get dirty if that's what it takes to win.
You do that by winning the next two games, not by head hunting, getting your pitcher ejected and possibly having a bench clearing dust-up.

idseer
07-27-2004, 11:33 AM
You obviously don't understand the concept of retribution. You can't wait around for a similar situation to occur to get your point accross. Retribution needs to be quick so that it is obvious why it is occuring. Hunter's actions in effect said "This is what I'm willing to do to win, whether it's a cheap shot or not I don't care". We need to send the message that we won't be pushed around and that we are willing to get dirty if that's what it takes to win.
but i DO understand retribution ... and let's face it .... you really mean revenge.

first, i say it was a perfectly good play by hunter. i'f you've read my posts on the play then you know that. so, i see no NEED for 'retribution'.
if the sox want to compete then they need to play the game hard. THAT should be their answer ... to the point that when the roles are reversed the sox play hard too. remember what durocher said!

i want the team to play hard and focused, not playing childish oneupsmanship with the twins. all they need to do is win.

Foulke29
07-27-2004, 11:47 AM
Revenge is a dish best served cold.
An old Klingon proverb - I'm told...

3Peater
07-27-2004, 12:12 PM
but i DO understand retribution ... and let's face it .... you really mean revenge.

first, i say it was a perfectly good play by hunter. i'f you've read my posts on the play then you know that. so, i see no NEED for 'retribution'.
if the sox want to compete then they need to play the game hard. THAT should be their answer ... to the point that when the roles are reversed the sox play hard too. remember what durocher said!

i want the team to play hard and focused, not playing childish oneupsmanship with the twins. all they need to do is win.If there is bad blood, and it's been "stated" by anyone in the organization, you can bet MLB will tell the umpiring crew to issue warnings before the game even starts.

Isn't ejection automatic if the pitch is thrown intentionally above the shoulder?

Would be a shame to see Garcia, who has been pitching well, be tossed over "retaliation" for a crash into the plate. And a suspension to boot.

gosox41
07-27-2004, 12:22 PM

Like I said there is a time and place for getting revenge. I'm all for sending a message. But we're in the middle of a pennant race. The last thing the Sox need is:

1. Suspensions to key players
2. Players injured in a brawl.
3. The most likely scenario, putting an extra guy on base.

If the Sox are up 7-2 in the late innings, go after Hunter. But if it's a close game, then the Sox damn well better be focusing on a win and not putting a guy on base to get revenge.

But I would hardly pack it up for the season if the Sox don't get revenge this week.

Bob

gosox41
07-27-2004, 12:24 PM
I don't know how much the pitching staff needs to retaliate (that's pretty much asking for an ejection and possible suspension, not to mention inciting a brawl which will lead to either more injuries or suspensions), however, if I'm on the Sox, first chance I get, I'm running over their catcher for pretty much no reason.

Me too. But if you're going to run over their catcher, let's make sure it's Mauer that we're running over. If they're willing to have contact on a play where contact (and serious injury) could be avoided, then the least we can do is give them the same risk to their star player instead of LeCroix or whatever the name of that fat oaf is behind the plate.

Bob

gosox41
07-27-2004, 12:25 PM
The Yanks do this every year, ALL winning teams do it. It is a simple baseball rule and if we don't enforce instead taking this baseball high road we might as hire Manuel back and put patches on our jerseys that say "Hey, second place and humiliation is okay with us!"

Sorry, a beaning is absolutely necessary tonight. :angry:

Going by Paulie's postgame comments, I think one is coming.
I'm all for revenge. But there is a time and place for it. And that's not in the middle of a pennant race if the game is tight.

If the game is lopsided, go for it. If they Sox/Twins meet up again and the division is decided then go for it then. If not wait until next season and then do it.

Bob

3Peater
07-27-2004, 12:26 PM
Me too. But if you're going to run over their catcher, let's make sure it's Mauer that we're running over. If they're willing to have contact on a play where contact (and serious injury) could be avoided, then the least we can do is give them the same risk to their star player instead of LeCroix or whatever the name of that fat oaf is behind the plate.

Bob
Mauer is on the DL. Sox would have to wait until September, unless someone wants to fly to the Twin Cities on an off day and try to run him over in workouts.:tongue:

gosox41
07-27-2004, 12:28 PM
Mauer is on the DL. Sox would have to wait until September, unless someone wants to fly to the Twin Cities on an off day and try to run him over in workouts.:tongue:

I know. Wait until he's healthy. If you're going to take revenge or retribution or whatever you want to call it and risk injury to a player you might as well make it a good one.

Bob

ma-gaga
07-27-2004, 01:23 PM
Yeah, because Jamie Burke is the next young superstar catcher in the league. Belt Blanco or LeCroy, but watch out, Matty isn't a tiny person...

gosox41
07-27-2004, 02:57 PM
Yeah, because Jamie Burke is the next young superstar catcher in the league. Belt Blanco or LeCroy, but watch out, Matty isn't a tiny person...
Actually because if you're not going to throw at Hunter then you might as well make the move worthwhile. There's a risk of injury here. If people are going to use words like revenge or retribution and are going to try to take a player out it might as well be the best. No sense taking out a back up catcher when you can get the potential All Star.

Don't get me wrong, I'd hate to see a player get injured. But if the goal is to send amessage out that your team isn't going to be pushed around either 1) Nail Hunter or 2) If you're going to take out the catcher better to take out the best they have.

Bob

AnkleSox
07-27-2004, 03:08 PM
Garcia needs to pitch some strikes on the inside corner, Torii may lay off and/or jump away from the plate thinking that the ball is coming at him only to get a called strike. If the sox have a large lead late in the game, have politte and his 97 mph fastball drill hunter in the head. Otherwise, win the game and hit hunter hard later in the season when the twins have been mathematically eliminated.