PDA

View Full Version : Forget Johnson - what about Benson?

illiniwhitesox
07-27-2004, 07:54 AM
Everyone is in love with Johnson - granted he is a lock-down HOF on his first time ballot. But the D-backs want to extract a fortune for him and I doubt he has eyes for anyone but the Evil Empire.

Why no talk about Benson? The Flubs have been able to acquire the Buc's talent over the past two years without paying a king's ransome.

I believe that when you lose a good bat (insert either Frank or Mags here), you go out and get an arm.

We have a solid 1 (Garcia)
We have a sold 2 (Beurhle)

After that what do we have? Loiza is no where near where he was LY. Garland was a .500 pitcher LY, will be a .500 pitcher TY, will be a .500 pitcher next year and forever will be a .500 pitcher till death do us part.

Schoenny lost me when he was on the DL and told the world that he would not go back to the pen after Diaz pitched a beautiful game. Since then, he has been rung up every start.

We need Benson and should go after him hard. Pitching wins games!

Mickster
07-27-2004, 09:18 AM
Everyone is in love with Johnson - granted he is a lock-down HOF on his first time ballot. But the D-backs want to extract a fortune for him and I doubt he has eyes for anyone but the Evil Empire.

Why no talk about Benson? The Flubs have been able to acquire the Buc's talent over the past two years without paying a king's ransome.

I believe that when you lose a good bat (insert either Frank or Mags here), you go out and get an arm.

We have a solid 1 (Garcia)
We have a sold 2 (Beurhle)

After that what do we have? Loiza is no where near where he was LY. Garland was a .500 pitcher LY, will be a .500 pitcher TY, will be a .500 pitcher next year and forever will be a .500 pitcher till death do us part.

Schoenny lost me when he was on the DL and told the world that he would not go back to the pen after Diaz pitched a beautiful game. Since then, he has been rung up every start.

We need Benson and should go after him hard. Pitching wins games!
Benson is, at best, a 4th starter. We don't need Benson.

doublem23
07-27-2004, 09:32 AM
Let the Twins overpay for him.

CPditka
07-27-2004, 10:40 AM
True Benson will cost alot, but they will package him w/ Kendall who is exactly who we need, a catcher for the longterm. We just need to open up our pockets, which is something we can do w/ increased revenue.

CPditka
07-27-2004, 10:47 AM
Also I wanted to acknowledge that currently Benson is about on par or a tad better than Garland, I dont have an inflated impression of him. However getting him moves Shoeny in the Pen.

Good move.

Mickster
07-27-2004, 10:51 AM
Also I wanted to acknowledge that currently Benson is about on par or a tad better than Garland, I dont have an inflated impression of him. However getting him moves Shoeny in the Pen.

Good move.
I would agree that he is a tad bit better than Garland. Get him at what cost though? The Pirates have repeatedly said that they will not get fleeced like they did last year with the Cubs....

CPditka
07-27-2004, 10:56 AM
If we pick up Kendall's contract they would give him to us for very little, because they need to get out from under that horrible contract. However since we really need a long term contract, its a good move for us. Its like we are trading for Kendall, and they are throwing in Benson to offset the bad contract. I think he could be had for like Cotts/Diaz & Davis.

hold2dibber
07-27-2004, 12:52 PM
If we pick up Kendall's contract they would give him to us for very little, because they need to get out from under that horrible contract. However since we really need a long term contract, its a good move for us. Its like we are trading for Kendall, and they are throwing in Benson to offset the bad contract. I think he could be had for like Cotts/Diaz & Davis.
I agree with you in principle; I think trading for Benson and Kendall would solve the Sox' biggest needs (another starter, a catcher and a high OBP guy) all in one fell swoop. But I don't like the idea of picking up all of Kendall's contract (and I'm not sure what you mean by "we really need a long term contract"), because it in all likelihood would hamper the team's flexibility next year (and as much as I like Kendall, he's not worth what he's getting under that contract). Give 'em more/better prospects but make them pay at least 1/2 of Kendall's contract, and I'm on board.

Mohoney
07-27-2004, 04:32 PM
Let the Twins overpay for him.

They're not going to overpay, they're going to GROSSLY UNDERPAY. That's the problem. They're getting him for Doug Meintkiewicz and Michael Restovich.

We surely can come up with a better package than that, can't we?