PDA

View Full Version : Twins close in on Kris Benson

JDP
07-27-2004, 07:27 AM
Twin close to acquiring SP Kris Benson from the Pirates.... (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep27.html)

The Twins are expected to announce shortly, the completion of a deal that will bring Pittsburgh Pirates SP Kris Benson to Minnesota in exchange for 1B Doug Mientkiewicz (and probably a prospect) -- substantially boosting the Twins' starting rotation. The Twins would then sport a starting rotation of Radke, Santana, Benson and Silva.

Egads.

PorkChopExpress
07-27-2004, 07:37 AM
Twin close to acquiring SP Kris Benson from the Pirates.... (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep27.html)

The Twins are expected to announce shortly, the completion of a deal that will bring Pittsburgh Pirates SP Kris Benson to Minnesota in exchange for 1B Doug Mientkiewicz (and probably a prospect) -- substantially boosting the Twins' starting rotation. The Twins would then sport a starting rotation of Radke, Santana, Benson and Silva.

Egads.
There is not a guy in that rotation that we can not get to when playing smart. And frankly, I think Benson is overrated and will not do well.

hold2dibber
07-27-2004, 07:38 AM
While I don't think Benson is as good as some people out there, he has been pretty solid for the last few months and will improve the Twins rotation substantially. I was thinking last night that the Sox 2 biggest needs, in my opinion, are another solid starter, a high OBP guy and a catcher. How's about KW pulls the plug on the Twins plan to acquire Benson and fill the Sox' biggest holes by trading Borchard, Cotts, Munoz and Davis for Benson, Kendall and at least 1/2 of the $ still owed to Kendall. The Sox have a lineup of:

Kendall C
Harris/Uribe 2B
Lee LF
Everett DH
Konerko 1B
Valentin SS
Rowand CF
Crede 3B
Perez/Gload RF

Rotation is:

Garcia
Buehrle
Benson
Loaiza
Garland

Call up Wunsch to take Cotts place in the bullpen.

seventytwo
07-27-2004, 07:45 AM
Jeff Suppan v.2004:cool:

PorkChopExpress
07-27-2004, 08:41 AM
While I don't think Benson is as good as some people out there, he has been pretty solid for the last few months and will improve the Twins rotation substantially. I was thinking last night that the Sox 2 biggest needs, in my opinion, are another solid starter, a high OBP guy and a catcher. How's about KW pulls the plug on the Twins plan to acquire Benson and fill the Sox' biggest holes by trading Borchard, Cotts, Munoz and Davis for Benson, Kendall and at least 1/2 of the $ still owed to Kendall. The Sox have a lineup of:

Kendall C
Harris/Uribe 2B
Lee LF
Everett DH
Konerko 1B
Valentin SS
Rowand CF
Crede 3B
Perez/Gload RF

Rotation is:

Garcia
Buehrle
Benson
Loaiza
Garland

Call up Wunsch to take Cotts place in the bullpen.
I agree, it's a great plan. A flock of birds with one stone (or four). Fill three of our holes, and take away the Twins' steam and their ability to improve. I don't mind seeing it happen, but I really think Benson is not the answer to our rotation. Is he an improvement - yes. Will it make our rotation playoff worthy - I do not know about that. If everyone pitches at the top of their game, maybe, but if everyone we have right now pitches at the top of their game, we are looking pretty decent too.

I guess I just really wanted RJ. :whiner: