PDA

View Full Version : I believe Torii Hunter

DoggPhood
07-27-2004, 03:38 AM
I was FURIOUS when I saw it happen, and I was furious when I saw the replays on Baseball Tonight and Sportscenter. But you know what? After reading and hearing what Hunter had to say about it, I hate to say it, but I believe him. The ball wasn't THAT far away from Burke. And if so, Hunter was focusing on getting to homeplate, not where Burke was. Beaning someone in a game you were losing is childish. I agree with Ozzie. Let's come out tomorrow and Wednesday and stick it to them by WINNING.

doublem23
07-27-2004, 04:11 AM
Oh, bull****. If he was concerned with home plate, he'd have taken the path of least resistance and not plowed through a catcher, who wasn't really blocking his way.

Hunter also said some bull**** like, "I'm not the bad guy, I'm just trying to play and have fun." Go suck an egg, Torii, you overrated, wanna-be-tough guy. There was nothing unintentional about what he did. Compare this hit to the one Gary Matthews, Jr. laid on Sandy Alomar, Jr. a few years ago at the Cell in a Cubs-Sox game (I want to say in 2002 :?: )... Anyways, that was a clean hit because Sandy was blocking the plate and had the ball. Alomar gave Matthews no choice but to be tagged out meekly or dare him to jar that ball out of there. Burke was doing nothing of that sort. While I'm sure scoring that run was first and foremost on Mr. Hunter's mind, that hit was far from innocent and accidental.

I hope Sox fans greet this prick with a two-day series from hell, because as far as I'm concerned, he's a rotten, worthless piece of **** who deserves every bit of ridicule and taunting he's going to get tomorrow. Get in his head, Sox fans. :angry:

Aidan
07-27-2004, 04:15 AM
He definately could have simply slid around to the right of the plate and tagged it with his hand. Hell, with where Burke was setup, he could have tip-toed over home plate.

medlaker24
07-27-2004, 04:19 AM
As much as Sox fans want to go out and ridicule Hunter the rest of the series, I would advise against it. Hunter seems to be one of those guys who will just feed off it. The last thing we need to do is give him more reason to try and beat us. Baseball players are used to being taunted and whatnot. It is hard to get into their heads. Catchers try to do it all the time, remember A.J.? He always tried to get into hitters heads. Did it work? Not usually.

doublem23
07-27-2004, 04:20 AM
Catchers try to do it all the time, remember A.J.? He always tried to get into hitters heads. Did it work? Not usually.
Did you watch the games when A.J. caught against the Sox? They looked absolutely pathetic pretty much every time. I don't know if he just called a good game against us consistently or what, but there was something going on. I know we have the "corpseball" conspiracy, but man did the Sox look bad again at Minnesota the last few years.

Aidan
07-27-2004, 04:43 AM
As much as Sox fans want to go out and ridicule Hunter the rest of the series, I would advise against it. Hunter seems to be one of those guys who will just feed off it. The last thing we need to do is give him more reason to try and beat us. Baseball players are used to being taunted and whatnot. It is hard to get into their heads. Catchers try to do it all the time, remember A.J.? He always tried to get into hitters heads. Did it work? Not usually.:worship::worship::worship::dtroll: http://espn.starwave.com/i/mlb/clubhouse/min.gif:dtroll:

ClaudelSleptHere
07-27-2004, 04:55 AM
As much as Sox fans want to go out and ridicule Hunter the rest of the series, I would advise against it. Hunter seems to be one of those guys who will just feed off it. The last thing we need to do is give him more reason to try and beat us. Baseball players are used to being taunted and whatnot. It is hard to get into their heads. Catchers try to do it all the time, remember A.J.? He always tried to get into hitters heads. Did it work? Not usually.
How about if the fans just sit quietly when he comes to bat, and if he should happen to make an out, they could applaud politely? That way he won't get mad and have more reason than last night to play hard and try and beat the Sox.

ihatethecubs
07-27-2004, 06:34 AM
i heard torii on the score talking about the fans who were screaming at him while he was on deck. he said that they were "threatening his life" and he said, to paraphrase, that if they wanted to kill him then come out there and kill him and see what happens. he then added "i'm from the hood, playa." first, i doubt anybody seriously threatened to kill him. and second, as if it even matters to begin with, youre not allowed to brag how youre "from the hood" when you grew up in Arkansas!

ChiSoxBobette
07-27-2004, 07:12 AM
I was FURIOUS when I saw it happen, and I was furious when I saw the replays on Baseball Tonight and Sportscenter. But you know what? After reading and hearing what Hunter had to say about it, I hate to say it, but I believe him. The ball wasn't THAT far away from Burke. And if so, Hunter was focusing on getting to homeplate, not where Burke was. Beaning someone in a game you were losing is childish. I agree with Ozzie. Let's come out tomorrow and Wednesday and stick it to them by WINNING.
Ya Know Whay not only can tori hunter kiss my butt , but so can you what I saw should stick in the White Sox minds today and if I'm playing and I get a chance to hurt one of them then TOO F'n BAD! The only problem I see with Ozzie is he's way to nice a guy. The message I saw last night is the twins are going to do anything to win this division and today Freddie should come out when tori comes up 1st pitch should be knocking that a$$hole on his a$$ period end of story!

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Aidan
07-27-2004, 07:30 AM
"Hunter becomes the hunted"
http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluca/cst-spt-deluca271.htm

bigdommer
07-27-2004, 08:06 AM
I see both sides of it. As a former catcher, I know that if I go up the line, especially without the ball, I am going to get drilled. I should get drilled. If I have the ball and time to turn, I feel bad for the other guy, because I am going to drive my shoulder and plastic covered knee through his face. So, in that regards, Torii was playing the game straight up.

On the other hand, it looked to me like Torii brought his hands up to the head level of Burke. I have never had that happen to me, one of two things would happen. If I was conscious and aware of the situation, I would start beating the crap out of the runner. Or, if I was banged up, my pitcher would know to plunk someone.

I know that Torii was trying to score the all important 3rd insurance run, but risking a neck injury and a career to someone else is dirty.

Irishsox1
07-27-2004, 08:11 AM
Everything that Hunter said is a lie. Burke was set up for a sweep take. Hunter led the hit with his forearm and aimed towards Burke's head. Then he said that some fan said he was going to kill him, that I also believe is a lie. Hunter didn't like being yelled at, so he went after a fan. When confronted by the press, he makes up the "murder" aspect. What he did was not part of good baseball, it was a cheap shot. Hunter should get drilled for that. Anyways, Burke had to go to the hospital after the game. For that alone, Hunter should get hit.

minastirith67
07-27-2004, 08:18 AM
"Hunter becomes the hunted"
http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluca/cst-spt-deluca271.htm

What sort of mother ****in propaganda is this piece?!?! Twin loving on a grand scale and huge Sox bashing to boot! This 'reporter' is spreading lies about the Sox and I am gonna write his ass back.

On a semi-different note, I hope the Sox retaliate by beating them the next two games and making Hunter feel the most unwelcome...

illiniwhitesox
07-27-2004, 08:27 AM
What bothers me more than the Hunter incident is that the White Sox did not have an effective response. We did not raise our level of intensity to match the Twin's. Even Ozzie commented on it and brought up Aarow's unwillingness to go in hard at second after the Hunter collision.

I want the the Sox to show up tonight and bring it. I would like to see someonen other than Carlos or Crazy Carl go into second hard. I want to see some chin music (not bean-ball). We need to let the Twins know that we're not the same team as last year under listless Jerry.

For the past three years we have had more individiual talent that the Twins, yet they have played better as a team. I believe we are now at a crossroads. We need to show that our "team" is better than their "team".

BeerHandle
07-27-2004, 09:07 AM
Oh, bull****. If he was concerned with home plate, he'd have taken the path of least resistance and not plowed through a catcher, who wasn't really blocking his way.

Hunter also said some bull**** like, "I'm not the bad guy, I'm just trying to play and have fun." Go suck an egg, Torii, you overrated, wanna-be-tough guy. There was nothing unintentional about what he did. Compare this hit to the one Gary Matthews, Jr. laid on Sandy Alomar, Jr. a few years ago at the Cell in a Cubs-Sox game (I want to say in 2002 :?: )... Anyways, that was a clean hit because Sandy was blocking the plate and had the ball. Alomar gave Matthews no choice but to be tagged out meekly or dare him to jar that ball out of there. Burke was doing nothing of that sort. While I'm sure scoring that run was first and foremost on Mr. Hunter's mind, that hit was far from innocent and accidental.

I hope Sox fans greet this prick with a two-day series from hell, because as far as I'm concerned, he's a rotten, worthless piece of **** who deserves every bit of ridicule and taunting he's going to get tomorrow. Get in his head, Sox fans. :angry:
The fact is that it is a legal play. There will not be any fines or suspensions. Hunter sent a message that the Twins are here to play and play hard.

Maybe we could do the same tonight. We were so flat last night. We took the crowd out of the game early.

jackbrohamer
07-27-2004, 09:13 AM
The articles in the Cubune and Cub Times are both steaming piles of crap.

Hunter put the cheap shot ahead of scoring, because in order to take it he missed home. It was a BS play, and a cheap shot, nothing more and nothing less.

duke of dorwood
07-27-2004, 09:18 AM
This isnt this bum's debut at this sort of thing. Anyone that does something uncalled for with intent to injure should be suapended just as a pitcher who drills a batter could be. A batter has a better chance of ducking a ball than a catcher who stands clear and gets run over. I used to catch and anytime some clown did that to me, either me or someone on my team took the other player down next time around.

Our inaction, in a game that was likely lost when he came to bat in the ninth was heartless and wimpish.

hawkjt
07-27-2004, 09:23 AM
Hunter took a left turn as he approached the plate with Jamie 3 ft inside the fricking line. He was seeking the catcher with a good lead already. The plate was an afterthought as he finally got up and went over and touched the plate after the unneeded collision. Chris Deluca of the Suntimes is a mariotti worshiper and has been his eyes and ears in the clubhouse since the David Wells blowup. this little rat rights that story without even seeing the replay. You cannot look at that replay without seeing the bastard hunter headhunting with elbow up and plate no where close.

I say it right now,our announcer has more fire than our manager. If this was manuel the howling on this board and up in the booth would be loud and long. Where is the fire that Ozzie is supposed to bring? Maybe he is playing it cool and waiting for tonite. If you are going to lose- win the gdam brawl.

34rancher
07-27-2004, 09:31 AM
The fact is that it is a legal play. There will not be any fines or suspensions. Hunter sent a message that the Twins are here to play and play hard.

Maybe we could do the same tonight. We were so flat last night. We took the crowd out of the game early.

Actually, it is not a legal play. He went for the head. Watch again. His arms are in an attack position to the head, not in a defense play. I think he will get a 1 game suspension, which the cubs have proved that if you appeal, you never have to serve.

MikeKreevich
07-27-2004, 09:37 AM

Maybe we could do the same tonight. We were so flat last night. We took the crowd out of the game early.So, you are ok with that kind of baseball?
The facts are that it was a dirty play and potentially dangerous! It may have been out of character for Hunter and he may have done it because he plays hard; but he went to the head unneccessarily. Throwing at a batter intentionally is against the rules, only when the umpire sees it as intentional. Physical contact in the basepaths is part of the game. You can still cross the line into dirty play. Hunter crossed that line last night.

MrRoboto83
07-27-2004, 09:47 AM
Winning is the only way to get back at Hunter. This guy is a complete gamer and I don't think by hitting him is going to solve anything. In fact I think doing something like that will create a lot of bad karma for the Sox. We need to grind out the next 2 games into White Sox Winners.

3Peater
07-27-2004, 09:55 AM
So, you are ok with that kind of baseball?
The facts are that it was a dirty play and potentially dangerous! It may have been out of character for Hunter and he may have done it because he plays hard; but he went to the head unneccessarily. Throwing at a batter intentionally is against the rules, only when the umpire sees it as intentional. Physical contact in the basepaths is part of the game. You can still cross the line into dirty play. Hunter crossed that line last night.
Would most here feel the same way if it were Timo Perez, Uribe, Crede or any other Sox hitting Blanco, or any other Twins catcher?

idseer
07-27-2004, 09:59 AM
Actually, it is not a legal play. He went for the head. Watch again. His arms are in an attack position to the head, not in a defense play. I think he will get a 1 game suspension, which the cubs have proved that if you appeal, you never have to serve.actually it WAS a legal play.

he didn't "go for his head". burke was crouched down about to catch the ball and hunter was trying to make sure he didn't hold onto it. he dove at him, as most runners do in that situation. he held up his own arms to protect HIMSELF from the blow, as most runners do in that situation. did you expect him to head butt the catcher?

SHEESH!

Mickster
07-27-2004, 10:08 AM
actually it WAS a legal play.

he didn't "go for his head". burke was crouched down about to catch the ball and hunter was trying to make sure he didn't hold onto it. he dove at him, as most runners do in that situation. he held up his own arms to protect HIMSELF from the blow, as most runners do in that situation. did you expect him to head butt the catcher?

SHEESH!
Most people, actually, will go in with a shoulder. Get a clue. Sheesh.

idseer
07-27-2004, 10:16 AM
Most people, actually, will go in with a shoulder. Get a clue. Sheesh.
no they won't. not when the catcher is crouched.

you keep telling me to get a clue and i think YOU have no clue.

Mickster
07-27-2004, 10:17 AM
no they won't. not when the catcher is crouched.

you keep telling me to get a clue and i think YOU have no clue.
:cower:

SEALgep
07-27-2004, 10:37 AM
I was FURIOUS when I saw it happen, and I was furious when I saw the replays on Baseball Tonight and Sportscenter. But you know what? After reading and hearing what Hunter had to say about it, I hate to say it, but I believe him. The ball wasn't THAT far away from Burke. And if so, Hunter was focusing on getting to homeplate, not where Burke was. Beaning someone in a game you were losing is childish. I agree with Ozzie. Let's come out tomorrow and Wednesday and stick it to them by WINNING.Watch the replay again, at the last second he squared up Burke. Hunter is just a p**** who doesn't have the balls to say what he really did. He flat out squared him up. That's fine, it's on now.

Mickster
07-27-2004, 10:43 AM
Watch the replay again, at the last second he squared up Burke. Hunter is just a p**** who doesn't have the balls to say what he really did. He flat out squared him up. That's fine, it's on now.
Couldn't agree more!

doublem23
07-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Hunter is just a p**** who doesn't have the balls to say what he really did.
Yeah, but what is he supposed to say? He was really head-hunting and wanted to inflict as much damage as possible? Anyone should have just read through his comments for his true intentions, anyway.

Torii Hunter = punk, wanna-be badass. "I'm from the 'hood." Right, Torii. I'm sure you were the big man wearing your mom's earrings. :rolleyes:

34rancher
07-27-2004, 10:51 AM
actually it WAS a legal play.

SHEESH!

No, but I wouldn't expect him to be able take off a hockey style mask with his forearm if he were trying to go through the catcher. He hit him in the head, thus why Burke was in the hospital last night with blurred vision. I played catcher for 8 years, and was involved in plenty of collisions, but never did I get hit in the head. He was not protecting himself. Think of it this way, if this was the NFL, and Burke was a quarterback, would Hunter get a fine/suspension for the same hit??? YES and that is a CONTACT SPORT. Hunter went for the head.

HebrewHammer
07-27-2004, 10:52 AM
As much as Sox fans want to go out and ridicule Hunter the rest of the series, I would advise against it. Hunter seems to be one of those guys who will just feed off it. The last thing we need to do is give him more reason to try and beat us. Baseball players are used to being taunted and whatnot. It is hard to get into their heads. Catchers try to do it all the time, remember A.J.? He always tried to get into hitters heads. Did it work? Not usually.:troll :dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll:

You could be a little less obvious

idseer
07-27-2004, 10:59 AM
No, but I wouldn't expect him to be able take off a hockey style mask with his forearm if he were trying to go through the catcher. He hit him in the head, thus why Burke was in the hospital last night with blurred vision. I played catcher for 8 years, and was involved in plenty of collisions, but never did I get hit in the head. He was not protecting himself. Think of it this way, if this was the NFL, and Burke was a quarterback, would Hunter get a fine/suspension for the same hit??? YES and that is a CONTACT SPORT. Hunter went for the head.
you choose to see it that way. i say he went for the man, period! and if you never saw a catcher get hit in the head you haven't seen much baseball.

34rancher
07-27-2004, 11:14 AM
you choose to see it that way. i say he went for the man, period! and if you never saw a catcher get hit in the head you haven't seen much baseball.

Have you ever worn a hockey goalie's mask? Those things don't come off easy. To me that was a cheap shot, plain and simple. He had an alternative path to the plate, he chose otherwise, which explains his first reaction when he stood up was to go to the plate as though he had no intention of going for the plate during the collision.

We are all missing the real question here though...Jaime was miked up last night, is the microphone ok? Oh, and yeah, did they get the audio from the mike?

Viva Magglio
07-27-2004, 11:17 AM
In case it has not been reported here already, the reason Mike Jackson did not plunk Torii Hunter last night is because they are friends. When Jackson was with Minnesota in 2002, he and Hunter struck up a friendship according to a White Sox player who refused to be identified. This was according to a reporter's coverage of the game read on the air by Boers and Bernstein just now. I did not catch who the reporter was.

idseer
07-27-2004, 11:21 AM
Have you ever worn a hockey goalie's mask? Those things don't come off easy. To me that was a cheap shot, plain and simple. He had an alternative path to the plate, he chose otherwise, which explains his first reaction when he stood up was to go to the plate as though he had no intention of going for the plate during the collision.

We are all missing the real question here though...Jaime was miked up last night, is the microphone ok? Oh, and yeah, did they get the audio from the mike?
his mask comes off as easy as any other catchers mask does. it has to flip off easy for pop fouls behind the plate.

also he checked to make sure he did tag the plate (which he HAD btw) which is something players do quite often. nothing unusual there.

i already commented on mike's reaction. he doesn't know what happened. he simply got run over. it doesn't matter what he said. there was a play there. the ball was there. hunter took him out, as he should. end of story.

34rancher
07-27-2004, 11:24 AM
his mask comes off as easy as any other catchers mask does. it has to flip off easy for pop fouls behind the plate.

also he checked to make sure he did tag the plate (which he HAD btw) which is something players do quite often. nothing unusual there.

i already commented on mike's reaction. he doesn't know what happened. he simply got run over. it doesn't matter what he said. there was a play there. the ball was there. hunter took him out, as he should. end of story.
and possibly ended another man's careerr....that would be end of story.

idseer
07-27-2004, 11:25 AM
and possibly ended another man's careerr....that would be end of story.
lmao. you ARE joking right?

Flight #24
07-27-2004, 11:27 AM
Actually, it is not a legal play. He went for the head. Watch again. His arms are in an attack position to the head, not in a defense play. I think he will get a 1 game suspension, which the cubs have proved that if you appeal, you never have to serve.
That would have been called a 15-yd personal foul in the NFL for a a forearm to the head. It should certainly merit a suspension in baseball.

Flight #24
07-27-2004, 11:31 AM
I love Hunter's postgame reaction, when told Burke went to the hospital... "I'm not a bad guy, I'm a good guy".

To have no mention of hoping Burke's OK, that he didn't get hurt, etc - just shows that his concern is not the guy he took out, it's his own image/reputation that he's a "good guy".

Guess what P*** - Good guys don't deliberately try to injure others, and they certainly worry more about the guy they hurt than their own rep.

idseer
07-27-2004, 11:36 AM
I love Hunter's postgame reaction, when told Burke went to the hospital... "I'm not a bad guy, I'm a good guy".

To have no mention of hoping Burke's OK, that he didn't get hurt, etc - just shows that his concern is not the guy he took out, it's his own image/reputation that he's a "good guy".

Guess what P*** - Good guys don't deliberately try to injure others, and they certainly worry more about the guy they hurt than their own rep.
guess what else? you read what someone wrote down. how do you know he didn't express any concern? cause someone didn't print it?

Foulke29
07-27-2004, 11:36 AM
One thing to say about that: :dtroll:

Someone is hungry for Billy Goats!

3Pete
07-27-2004, 11:48 AM

Actually, what was said was this.

Hunter said he was just trying to jar the ball loose if Burke caught it, and he was startled to learn that Burke needed medical attention.

"That's not what I wanted to hear," he said.

He also said he'd try to talk to him before the series was over. The point is, I think everyone here would be really pumped up if say Aaron Rowand ran over Henry Blanco in similar fashion, and would promote his gritty play, and how Ozzie Guillen is making a difference as manager, while Twins fans would decry the play as dirty, and vow revenge.

rwcescato
07-27-2004, 11:57 AM
I thought it was a hard nose play. Unfortunately the best thing that could have happened was if Burke held onto the ball and tagged him out. Then he would have looked dumb because he could have easily slid around the tag.
Rich

Flight #24
07-27-2004, 11:58 AM
guess what else? you read what someone wrote down. how do you know he didn't express any concern? cause someone didn't print it?
How do you know he did?

Between the fact that he changes direction away from a clear line at the plate to hit the catcher, his immediate post-crach reaction, and his cheering and high-fiving while Burke was obviously dazed - he didn't seem to have any concern for the well-being of the guy that he needlessly and IMO purposefully hurt.

So when no one reports that heeven asked about how Burke was or expressed and concern for his well-being, well that fits the pattern a lot more than any supposition that he really did ask about him and exhibit concern, but no one reported it.

idseer
07-27-2004, 12:02 PM
How do you know he did?
i wasn't the one making a claim here. that would by YOU!

again ... how do you know he didn't?

idseer
07-27-2004, 12:03 PM
Actually, what was said was this.

Hunter said he was just trying to jar the ball loose if Burke caught it, and he was startled to learn that Burke needed medical attention.

"That's not what I wanted to hear," he said.

He also said he'd try to talk to him before the series was over. The point is, I think everyone here would be really pumped up if say Aaron Rowand ran over Henry Blanco in similar fashion, and would promote his gritty play, and how Ozzie Guillen is making a difference as manager, while Twins fans would decry the play as dirty, and vow revenge.
and thank you 3pete for stating the FACTS! :smile:

Paulwny
07-27-2004, 12:05 PM
In case it has not been reported here already, the reason Mike Jackson did not plunk Torii Hunter last night is because they are friends. When Jackson was with Minnesota in 2002, he and Hunter struck up a friendship according to a White Sox player who refused to be identified. This was according to a reporter's coverage of the game read on the air by Boers and Bernstein just now. I did not catch who the reporter was.
Retaliation should have come last night, team or friends ?
Bill White has often told this story. He was Bob Gibson's room mate for ~ 7ys and then was traded to the Phils. During his first at bat against Gibson, Gibson yelled to White twice, ~ "You're too close to the plate", White didn't move. The first pitch from Gibson was a fastball in the ribs. They remained friends.

Flight #24
07-27-2004, 12:06 PM
i wasn't the one making a claim here. that would by YOU!

again ... how do you know he didn't?
I believe I explained my reasoning. Anything about Hunter's feelings and comments postgame needs to be inferred from his behaviour and what published comments exist. Those all provide a much stronger indication that he was more concerned about his own rep than the well-being of the guy he needlessly injured.

We're not in a court of law, and he's not being sent to jail.

idseer
07-27-2004, 12:08 PM
I believe I explained my reasoning. Anything about Hunter's feelings and comments postgame needs to be inferred from his behaviour and what published comments exist. Those all provide a much stronger indication that he was more concerned about his own rep than the well-being of the guy he needlessly injured.

We're not in a court of law, and he's not being sent to jail.
based on 3pete's post i'd say you are dead wrong.

stop being a pissed off sox fan for a moment.

Flight #24
07-27-2004, 12:12 PM
based on 3pete's post i'd say you are dead wrong.

stop being a pissed off sox fan for a moment.
I saw that quote..."That's not what I wanted to hear" is supposed to imply concern? I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. If he's such a "good guy", why didn't he even check on Burke after plowing him? Why not ask about whether he's OK or even say that? "That's not what I wanted to hear" doesn't mean squat - it's as likely to mean "I don't need to hear about it" as anything.

I don't buy it, but you can feel free to if you'd like.

nitetrain8601
07-27-2004, 12:12 PM
IMO, I was first like, whoa, that's kind of close. 2nd thought, sign him up to the Bears as a OLB. Third thought, it was a nice hit and message to send. Torii basically told the team, we're up and we're going to keep coming at you and coming at you hard. I actually liked it. Now we shouldn't plunk one of their players. Just steal Benson and beat them on the scoreboard. Then do the same and ram Mauer so that he's out for the season.

BTW, I knew we we're going to lose. Record overall with one of my friends in attendance, 1-19. He brings badluck to the team and blames everyone who goes, but our buddies are catching on. He's no longer allowed at the ballpark and he could go bring the Boilermakers bad luck.

3Peater
07-27-2004, 12:16 PM
Then do the same and ram Mauer so that he's out for the season.

Won't get that chance until September. Mauer is on the DL.

OzzieBall
07-27-2004, 12:36 PM
Im worried about Jackson. If he really didnt hit the guy because he was a friend than he is worthless. Especially since he cant seem to get anyone out this year either.

Lip Man 1
07-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Buster Olney at ESPN.com talks about the play. According to him anytime the catcher is anywhere near home plate without the ball he is 'fair game...' (his words.)

I infer from that that Burke shouldn't have been up the line waiting for the throw.

For a more complete explination read the story for yourself.

Lip

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-27-2004, 01:09 PM
who's side are you on

johnny_mostil
07-27-2004, 07:18 PM
Buster Olney at ESPN.com talks about the play. According to him anytime the catcher is anywhere near home plate without the ball he is 'fair game...' (his words.)

I infer from that that Burke shouldn't have been up the line waiting for the throw.

Lip
If Hunter had done that to Jorge Posada he'd be suspended for a week.

Lip Man 1
07-27-2004, 07:26 PM
Maybe Johnny and maybe not. You have no way of knowing for sure.

Lip

idseer
07-27-2004, 07:29 PM
If Hunter had done that to Jorge Posada he'd be suspended for a week.more likely posada would have either been out of the way or in front of the plate trying to prevent the run.

burke didn't know what he was doing and that's why he didn't know what happened.

Lip Man 1
07-27-2004, 07:30 PM
By the way I contacted Chris deLuca about Hunter's 'hood' comments. Just FYI:

Hi Chris:

I'm not going to get involved one way or another on the Tori Hunter
situation / play but I would like to provide one bit of information.

Tori Hunter is from Pine Bluff, Arkansas. I can tell you since I have
visited while covering opposing teams (Arkansas Pine Bluff is located
there and I have been in the media myself since 1979) that if it has a
'hood, I sure don't know where it is. That town is to small to have
anything.

Here's Chris' reply:

"That point struck me as a little odd, too. When he said the 'hood', I was
thinking something a little tougher than a town called Pine Bluff."

Lip

idseer
07-27-2004, 07:33 PM
By the way I contacted Chris deLuca about Hunter's 'hood' comments. Just FYI:

Hi Chris:

I'm not going to get involved one way or another on the Tori Hunter
situation / play but I would like to provide one bit of information.

Tori Hunter is from Pine Bluff, Arkansas. I can tell you since I have
visited while covering opposing teams (Arkansas Pine Bluff is located
there and I have been in the media myself since 1979) that if it has a
'hood, I sure don't know where it is. That town is to small to have
anything.

Here's Chris' reply:

"That point struck me as a little odd, too. When he said the 'hood', I was
thinking something a little tougher than a town called Pine Bluff."

Lip
so he threw out a little bravado in his own defense. how terribly critical is this point anyway?

SouthSideRyan
07-28-2004, 02:54 AM
Pine Bluff is a hood.

Murders per 100,000: Pine Bluff -- 17.91 vs. Nat'l -- 5.6.
Forcible Rape: 84.17 vs. 33.
Robberies: 411 vs. 145.
Aggravated Assaults: 829 vs. 310.
Burglaries: 1812 vs. 746.
Larceny: 5580 vs. 2445.
Motor Vehicle Thefts: 730 vs. 432.

mealfred13
07-28-2004, 05:38 AM

Lip
If you saw the play, he wasn't up the line waiting for a throw. He was in front of the plate, OFF the line, waiting for a throw for a sweep tag. Hunter had a clear path to the plate, and by hitting Burke, he missed the plate completely, on account of changing direction and going to his left to reach Burke. He had to cut back right to even reach the plate, and he went back once again to tag the plate to make sure, because he was so far off the plate towards the INFIELD, as opposed to the backstop where a normal runner would be headed on a play at home.

He basically speared Burke's head with his forearms. He was not protecting himself, and he was not trying to knock loose a ball, because the ball was not there. In fact, he slowed down to change direction and lunge into Burke, when he could have easily run PAST burke or slid past Burke, without even having to hook behind the plate, and the play would not have been close. It was a blatant cheap shot, and a dangerous one at that. I'm amazed that Burke wasn't knocked out altogether on that play.

Running over a catcher is a common occurence, and maybe in this instance, it wasn't seen as a blatant attack due to the umpire's angle of view, but anyone with a right mind could see that he went for burke, and not the plate. Last time I checked, if the plate is open for you to get to without anyone blocking it, you're home free. Hitting Burke was first on Hunter's priority list, tagging home was second. It's sad, quite frankly.

mealfred13
07-28-2004, 05:40 AM
Pine Bluff is a hood.

Murders per 100,000: Pine Bluff -- 17.91 vs. Nat'l -- 5.6.
Forcible Rape: 84.17 vs. 33.
Robberies: 411 vs. 145.
Aggravated Assaults: 829 vs. 310.
Burglaries: 1812 vs. 746.
Larceny: 5580 vs. 2445.
Motor Vehicle Thefts: 730 vs. 432.
Well apparently, Hunter fit in quite well. His aggravated assault average is hovering above .320 this year.