PDA

View Full Version : We need Jeromy Burnitz in RF...

Aidan
07-27-2004, 02:26 AM
Jeromy Burnitz is having a HUGE year and he's the left-handed bat we need. Timo Perez is not a good enough hitter to be in RF everyday and I doubt Borchard is ready to fill the role either. I know Burnitz' numbers can somewhat be attributed to Coors Field but The Cell has been like Coors Field Version 2.0 so he should be fine here. He can play every outfield position, including CF. He has decent speed and still has a gun for an arm. He only has a $1,250,000 contract for this season and is a free agent at the end of this season. The Rockies need to rebuild and get younger and Burnitz is 35 years old. His strikeouts are a problem but he has a good OBP with great pop in his bat. He is a cheap, good left-handed bat that will definately be available at the deadline.

Jeromy Burnitz (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5061)
.297 AVG
.365 OBP
.594 SLG
.959 OPS
24 HR
71 RBI

Send Neal Cotts to the Rockies for Jeromy Burnitz and bring up Felix Diaz to the bullpen. Diaz can't be any worse than Cotts is currently doing for us out of the bullpen.

OEO Magglio
07-27-2004, 02:28 AM
Jeromy Burnitz is having a HUGE year and he's the left-handed bat we need. Timo Perez is not a good enough hitter to be in RF everyday and I doubt Borchard is ready to fill the role either. I know Burnitz' numbers can somewhat be attributed to Coors Field but The Cell has been like Coors Field Version 2.0 so he should be fine here. He can play every outfield position, including CF. He has decent speed and still has a gun of an arm. He only has a $1,250,000 contract for this season and is a free agent at the end of this season. The Rockies need to rebuild and get younger and Burnitz is 35 years old. His strikeouts are a problem but he has a good OBP with great pop in his bat. He is a cheap, good left-handed bat that will definately be available at the deadline.

.297 AVG
.365 OBP
.594 SLG
.959 OPS
24 HR
71 RBI

Send Neal Cotts to the Rockies for Jeromy Burnitz and bring up Felix Diaz to the bullpen. Diaz can't be any worse than Cotts is currently doing for us out of the bullpen,No thanks, I'd rather get Catalanotto, Burnitz is batting something like .240 outside of coors. I know the cell is a launching pad also but still, he's an all or nothing type hitter, I'd rather go after someone else and no way would I want to trade Neal for him.

Aidan
07-27-2004, 02:29 AM
No thanks, I'd rather get Catalanotto, Burnitz is batting something like .240 outside of coors. I know the cell is a launching pad also but still, he's an all or nothing type hitter, I'd rather go after someone else and no way would I want to trade Neal for him.Enough with this Catalanotto talk. The guy is currently playing through pain with an injury and could be shelved at any moment.

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/tor/news/tor_news.jsp?ymd=20040717&content_id=802456&vkey=news_tor&fext=.jsp
Catalanotto doesn't have a groin injury, as previously reported -- he has a three-inch tear in his right external oblique fascia, a diagnosis that brought closure to a two-month mystery.

OEO Magglio
07-27-2004, 02:35 AM
Enough with this Catalanotto talk. The guy is currently playing through pain with an injury and could be shelved at any moment. :rolleyes:

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/tor/news/tor_news.jsp?ymd=20040717&content_id=802456&vkey=news_tor&fext=.jspWell if he's injured then yes you can get rid of that idea. However I still don't want Burnitz.

Aidan
07-27-2004, 02:39 AM
Well if he's injured then yes you can get rid of that idea. However I still don't want Burnitz.Steve Finley is making $7 million, will cost many prospects, AND he may only want to play on the West Coast (Padres). Another guy available is Finley's teammate, Danny Bautista who is making $4 million this year...

Danny Bautista (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5150)
.309 AVG
.357 OBP
.455 SLG
.811 OPS
10 HR
51 RBI

OEO Magglio
07-27-2004, 02:42 AM
Steve Finley is making $7 million, will cost many prospects, AND he may only want to play on the West Coast (Padres). Another guy available is Finley's teammate, Danny Bautista who is making $4 million this year...

Danny Bautista (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5150)
.309 AVG
.357 OBP
.455 SLG
.811 OPS
10 HR
51 RBIAdd Rob Mackowiak to that list too. I wouldn't think he's available but Bruce Levine mentions his name everytime he talks about the sox acquiring another outfielder but take that for what it's worth.

Aidan
07-27-2004, 02:53 AM
Add Rob Mackowiak to that list too. I wouldn't think he's available but Bruce Levine mentions his name everytime he talks about the sox acquiring another outfielder but take that for what it's worth.I wouldn't bank on that happening. Dave Littlefield and the Pirates love Rob Mackowiak for his "gamer" attitude. I don't see them moving him. If they made Mackowiak available, I agree that he would be the best option. He's played LF, RF, CF, 1B, 2B, and 3B. :o: He's even a White Sox fan from Oak Lawn, Illinois. :wink:

Aidan
07-27-2004, 03:48 AM
Kevin Wheeler of Sporting News Radio said the White Sox should trade Joe Borchard, Felix Diaz, and Arnie Munoz to the Colorado Rockies for Jeromy Burnitz and Charles Johnson with the Rockies picking up alot of Johnson's $9 million contract. Seems like alot to give up to me.

mmmmmbeeer
07-27-2004, 06:49 AM
Kevin Wheeler of Sporting News Radio said the White Sox should trade Joe Borchard, Felix Diaz, and Arnie Munoz to the Colorado Rockies for Jeromy Burnitz and Charles Johnson with the Rockies picking up alot of Johnson's $9 million contract. Seems like alot to give up to me.
Agreed. Johnson isn't that much better than what Burke has been doing, perhaps a bit more pop in his bat. And I don't know about you but of all the 5th starters we've seen this year I see Felix Diaz as the one with the most potential. Dump Cotts and keep Diaz.

Aidan
07-27-2004, 06:51 AM
Agreed. Johnson isn't that much better than what Burke has been doing, perhaps a bit more pop in his bat. And I don't know about you but of all the 5th starters we've seen this year I see Felix Diaz as the one with the most potential. Dump Cotts and keep Diaz.Agreed. Felix Diaz looks like he could crack our rotation next season. I would trade Neal Cotts and Arnie Munoz for Burnitz though.

ChiSoxBobette
07-27-2004, 07:02 AM
Jeromy Burnitz is having a HUGE year and he's the left-handed bat we need. Timo Perez is not a good enough hitter to be in RF everyday and I doubt Borchard is ready to fill the role either. I know Burnitz' numbers can somewhat be attributed to Coors Field but The Cell has been like Coors Field Version 2.0 so he should be fine here. He can play every outfield position, including CF. He has decent speed and still has a gun for an arm. He only has a $1,250,000 contract for this season and is a free agent at the end of this season. The Rockies need to rebuild and get younger and Burnitz is 35 years old. His strikeouts are a problem but he has a good OBP with great pop in his bat. He is a cheap, good left-handed bat that will definately be available at the deadline.

.297 AVG
.365 OBP
.594 SLG
.959 OPS
24 HR
71 RBI

Send Neal Cotts to the Rockies for Jeromy Burnitz and bring up Felix Diaz to the bullpen. Diaz can't be any worse than Cotts is currently doing for us out of the bullpen.
We have to do something because without Maggs & Frank in this lineup teams are just not worried about us and we still have problems playing small ball. The only consistent power threat we have is Pauly,Everett, Jose & C.Lee are to hot/cold to carry this team and that just leaves us Konerko who teams will probably start pitching around soon.

Win1ForMe
07-27-2004, 08:12 AM
Agreed. Felix Diaz looks like he could crack our rotation next season. I would trade Neal Cotts and Arnie Munoz for Burnitz though.
That's a pretty horrible trade right there. I don't get it, what is everyone's fantasy with Burnitz? He's an average player away from Coors.

Aidan
07-27-2004, 08:18 AM
That's a pretty horrible trade right there. I don't get it, what is everyone's fantasy with Burnitz? He's an average player away from Coors.I was originally going to say just Neal Cotts for Burnitz but I'm not sure if just Cotts in enough. I guess it probably is.

You are right. He isn't too hot away from Coors Field...

Jeromy Burnitz (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?statsId=5061) (Away from Coors Field)
177 AB
.249 AVG
.325 OBP
.480 SLG
.805 OPS
9 HR
27 RBI

He is a good hitter vs. both right-handed and left-handed pitching though.

duke of dorwood
07-27-2004, 08:21 AM
Unless Rowand is leading off-we need a lead off man-last night we had 2 hitters batting .260 at top of the order.

That wont get it done-

Home Run or nothing identity must be changed-that's why we dont need Burnitz.

Win1ForMe
07-27-2004, 08:24 AM
I was originally going to say just Neal Cotts for Burnitz but I'm not sure if just Cotts in enough. I guess it probably is.

Jeromy Burnitz (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?statsId=5061) (Away from Coors Field)
177 AB
.249 AVG
.325 OBP
.480 SLG
.805 OPS
9 HR
27 RBI

I don't even think Burnitz is worth Neal Cotts, more along the lines of someone like Jason Grilli.

sendimjoey
07-27-2004, 09:30 AM
Home Run or nothing identity must be changed-that's why we dont need Burnitz.
So we should get a singles hitter to replace Magglio Ordonez? That's what Timo Perez is. Burnitz shouldn't even cost the Sox Neal Cotts. It would probably be more along the lines of a B-level pitching prospect.

Not only is Burnitz a more dangerous hitter than Perez, but he is also a better defender. Those two balls that Perez played into triples last night were disgusting. :mad: The Twins were running on him big time. At the very least, we better see Joe Borchard out there tonight.

gosox41
07-27-2004, 11:18 AM
I was originally going to say just Neal Cotts for Burnitz but I'm not sure if just Cotts in enough. I guess it probably is.

177 AB
.249 AVG
.325 OBP
.480 SLG
.805 OPS
9 HR
27 RBI

Timo Perez for the 2004 Sox:

AB 175
avg. .257
OBP .305
Slg % .349
OPS .654
HR 3
RBI 23

Burnitz is better away from Coors then Timo is overall. Of course I'm not advocating giving up whatever farm system the Sox have for Burnitz, but he is an upgrade and a significant one over Perez.

Bob

HebrewHammer
07-27-2004, 12:04 PM
:canseco

"Still looking for some more power? I'll be waiting for your call."

ma-gaga
07-27-2004, 12:14 PM
I don't get the fascination with Coors players. Everyone looks at their stats and starts drooling, but take a look at Royce Clayton who is having a phenominal year there: 0.287/0.348/0.424.

Stay away from Coors players, they aren't going to hit nearly as well away from that field.

sendimjoey
07-27-2004, 12:27 PM
I don't get the fascination with Coors players. Everyone looks at their stats and starts drooling, but take a look at Royce Clayton who is having a phenominal year there: 0.287/0.348/0.424.

Stay away from Coors players, they aren't going to hit nearly as well away from that field.
177 AB
.249 AVG
.325 OBP
.480 SLG
.805 OPS
9 HR
27 RBI

Are these numbers for an All-Star? No. Are they better than playing Timo Perez and Ross Gload nearly full time between the two of them? Yes. My view is either play Joe Borchard every day or trade for Burnitz or someone similar who isn't necessarily great player (because the team can't afford that in terms of prospects or salary), but who can still be more productive than Perez and Gload. And you never know. Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle -- could be Borchard or Burnitz. I think we've seen enough of Gload and Perez to know that they aren't going to jolt anyone except us Sox fans, IMO.