PDA

View Full Version : Why is Mike Jackson still with us????

DumpJerry
07-27-2004, 12:16 AM
WHY THE HECK IS MIKE JACKSON STILL ON THE ROSTER?????:angry: :angry: :angry:

Any theories?

Anyone, yes anyone, would be better....even Billy Koch.:o:

Are we the team that drew the short straw to help this aging superstar qualify for a good pension?

If KW was able to convince someone to take Koch off our hands, can't he convince someone to pick up Jackson? We need a real set-up man, not someone who pitches as is he is being paid by the other team.:mad:

cbrownson13
07-27-2004, 12:32 AM
[QUOTE=DumpJerry]WHY THE HECK IS MIKE JACKSON STILL ON THE ROSTER?????:angry: :angry: :angry:

Any theories?

QUOTE]

I heard beer sales are down. I know I found the nearest vendor when he came in tonight.

kittle42
07-27-2004, 01:17 AM
If we cut him, we could get sued for age discrimination.

michned
07-27-2004, 07:44 AM
WHY THE HECK IS MIKE JACKSON STILL ON THE ROSTER?????

Any theories?
It's certainly not for his performance but maybe his leadership and clubhouse presence.

illiniwhitesox
07-27-2004, 07:46 AM
WHY THE HECK IS MIKE JACKSON STILL ON THE ROSTER?????:angry: :angry: :angry:

Any theories?

Anyone, yes anyone, would be better....even Billy Koch.:o:

Are we the team that drew the short straw to help this aging superstar qualify for a good pension?

If KW was able to convince someone to take Koch off our hands, can't he convince someone to pick up Jackson? We need a real set-up man, not someone who pitches as is he is being paid by the other team.:mad:
NY Times had an article that placed Jackson in the top five for MLB pitchers for allowing inherited runners to score. I believe as of Sunday, he was at 51. We need to face the music with this guy just like we did with Koch.

Seems to me the Yankees have a pretty good setup man. Isn't his nickname Flash? Hey, didn't he used to pitch for the WS?

Baby Fisk
07-27-2004, 07:59 AM
It's depressing that this man is still on the roster. Everytime he is called out of the bullpen, it's like Ozzie waving a symbolic white flag. Game over. :angry:

Uncle_Patrick
07-27-2004, 08:02 AM
It's certainly not for his performance but maybe his leadership and clubhouse presence.
I believe that its his leadership and experience that keep him on this team. Supposedly, he's good with young pitchers. Still, can't they keep him off the mound? Everytime he comes in, I feel like Ozzie is waiving the white flag.

Dadawg_77
07-27-2004, 08:14 AM
You know, I thought he was the perfect person to put one in Tori's ear. Who really cares if he gets suspended, actually that might have helped the team.

soxrme
07-27-2004, 08:25 AM
You know, I thought he was the perfect person to put one in Tori's ear. Who really cares if he gets suspended, actually that might have helped the team.
He aimed for Hunters ear but put it over the plate:redneck

Baby Fisk
07-27-2004, 08:28 AM
You know, I thought he was the perfect person to put one in Tori's ear. Who really cares if he gets suspended, actually that might have helped the team.That might have jeopardized his 1,000th career strikeout. At this pace, he only needs to pitch about 76 more seasons for a shot at Nolan Ryan's record!

MrRoboto83
07-27-2004, 08:55 AM
I have a theory that Mike Jackson still works for the Twins organization undercover to blow any game he pitches for the Sox. I know the Twins just laugh everytime he takes the mound.

Mickster
07-27-2004, 09:10 AM
I believe that its his leadership and experience that keep him on this team. Supposedly, he's good with young pitchers. Still, can't they keep him off the mound? Everytime he comes in, I feel like Ozzie is waiving the white flag.
Make him an assistant bullpen coach then. For God's sake, don't put him on the mound......

SoxxoS
07-27-2004, 09:26 AM
I hate this "veteran presence" thing.

You know, when Cotts has got 2 outs in the 7th inning with the bases loaded, I am sure he is thinking about what Mike Jackson told him.

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2004, 11:48 AM
From the SouthTown:

Not helping the cause

According to a source in the Sox organization, if veteran reliever Mike Jackson weren't such a valuable leader in the bullpen, he would have been released in the wake of his recent struggles.

After posting an impressive 1.93 ERA in April, Jackson had a 5.59 ERA in May and a 9.31 ERA in June. For the season, Jackson has a 5.18 ERA, and a 2-0 record. But he is valued for motivating his teammates and keeping them grounded.

Guillen, however, said Jackson needs to improve his performance on the mound. "I'm concerned about Mike Jackson," Guillen said. "Two weeks ago, I was talking about (reliever Cliff) Politte, and he stepped up and did a tremendous job for us. If we are going to continue to do this, Mike Jackson has to step up and (Neal Cotts) has to step up."

ma_deuce
07-27-2004, 11:58 AM
I would agree with you, if I thought Mike Jackson could through well enough to actually hit Hunter. He'd probably miss him completely and knock Burke out.

Deuce

SoxxoS
07-27-2004, 12:46 PM
Hmmm...I can definitely see Mike Jackson's ERA pattern continuing...

1.93 in April
5.59 in May
9.31 in June
13.XX in July
17.XX in August
21.XX in September.

mrzerofan
07-27-2004, 01:15 PM
How about we bring up a long reliever that can actually get a little experience like josh stewart instead of jackson. Just designate him for assingnment and bring up some kind of guy who can go 4 innings.