PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie 'Gets It.'

Lip Man 1
07-27-2004, 01:03 AM
Excerpts from Bob Foltman's recap story in the Tribune:

"There are hundreds of thousands of individual plays during the course of a baseball season, some more important than others."

"How important Torii Hunter's running over White Sox catcher Jamie Burke in the eighth inning of Monday's 6-2 Twins victory is in the grand scheme of things remains to be seen. But it sent a simple message to the Sox: We're still the defending champions."

"The victory increased the Twins' lead over the Sox to 1½ games in the AL Central, the farthest the Sox have been behind since July 9."

"Hunter's play made the game 5-1, and it can be debated whether he went out of his way to run over Burke, who was standing in front of the plate waiting for Timo Perez's throw from right field."

"Hunter could have hooked a slide and avoided a tag and still scored, but he appeared to go after Burke."

"If the play was dirty, Sox manager Ozzie Guillen didn't appear to have a problem with it."

"That's a message," Guillen said. "If that happened on my side, I would be high-fiving my players. If my players don't like it, that's a message."

"Guillen has lauded the play of the Twins all season, even when the Sox were winning seven of eight games against them."

"They come after you," Guillen said. "That's the kind of game I grew up watching."

"And perhaps the kind of game Guillen wishes his team played more often. In fact, the difference between the Sox and Twins the last two seasons were on display Monday."

"Both Sox runs came as usual—on solo home runs, with Joe Borchard adding a pinch homer in the eighth off Rincon."

"Meanwhile, the Twins had a pair of triples, bunched three two-out singles for a run in the second and stole a pair of bases."

"I enjoy watching those guys play," Guillen said.

"Guillen seemed a bit disappointed that in the bottom of the eighth inning, Aaron Rowand didn't go hard into second baseman Luis Rivas to try to break up a double play to send a message back to the Twins."

"That's the way we should play too," Guillen said of the Twins' style. "If we don't like it, do something about it."

Lip

mdep524
07-27-2004, 01:06 AM
Good to hear. I really like the way Ozzie thinks, and I hope in time he can turn our Sox into a gritty team too.

Soxzilla
07-27-2004, 01:08 AM
I'm sorry. But hunter stepped out of his way to hit burke in THE HEAD with both of his fists and his entire upper body. Then, as burke was down on the ground injured, he leapt over his body and put his foot on the plate AGAIN.

I don't want to hit the man. I want to beat his team into submission tommorow, and the day after tommorow, and the six games in september.

These stupid sonuvabitches are going down. God dammit.

If we don't score 10 runs tommorow and just annihilate their pretty boy savior, then I ain't gonna be happy.

Win1ForMe
07-27-2004, 01:14 AM
"That's a message," Guillen said. "If that happened on my side, I would be high-fiving my players. If my players don't like it, that's a message."

"They come after you," Guillen said. "That's the kind of game I grew up watching."

"I enjoy watching those guys play," Guillen said.

"That's the way we should play too," Guillen said of the Twins' style. "If we don't like it, do something about it." Yup, this is exactly what I wanted to hear. The only way we can send Torii a message is to play like the Twins. I hope this shuts up some of the whiners ("why didn't Hunter get drilled...blah blah blah blah") on this board.

soxfan26
07-27-2004, 01:21 AM
I don't want to hit the man. I want to beat his team into submission tommorow, and the day after tommorow, and the six games in september.

Sounds like the reaction Ozzie is looking for from his players. If the Sox want to make a statement they will send the Twins home 1/2 game behind.

Good for Ozzie.

Flight #24
07-27-2004, 01:25 AM
Yup, this is exactly what I wanted to hear. The only way we can send Torii a message is to play like the Twins. I hope this shuts up some of the whiners ("why didn't Hunter get drilled...blah blah blah blah") on this board.
If I read that right, part of that means going after them in the field as they did to us (i.e. going hard after Rivas @ 2B). I'm all for it. I'm also all for commanding the inside corner and backing them off the plate. If you miss inside and hit them, too bad - part of the game.

cbrownson13
07-27-2004, 01:26 AM
I share the same feelings. I'm pissed that Hunter went out of his way to drill Burke. But I'm also happy it happened. Maybe this will light a fire in under this team. They need more passion. They need to play like they want to make they playoffs. The Twins showed tonight that they aren't just going to hand the division over.

elrod
07-27-2004, 01:29 AM
I totally agree with Ozzie here. I was at the game and was commenting to my friend in the third inning that the reason the Twins are where they are was on display. And that was BEFORE Radke retired 16 hitters in a row. Stewart leads off with a cheap slow hit down the third base line that stays fair. After a soft lineout by Punto (who was doing the right thing by just putting the ball in play and not trying to hit a home run) Ford hit a single to left-center that I though would leave runners on first and second. But no, Stewart kept hustling and got to third. Morneau tried to go yard and fell behind 0-2. But then he just put the ball in play and hit a slow grounder to third that got the run home. Perfect execution. Meanwhile Willie Harris does the same thing - bunts to get on, steals second and goes to third on a bad throw. Before the steal, though, Valentin pops out trying to hit a home run. And once Harris reaches third Lee, with two strikes, strikes out. Instead of adjusting his swing to ensure contact, and a run, he takes a hard swing and misses. After Everett's out it's all over. Second inning same thing happens (after a Konerko HR). For the Sox it's worse as Burke comes up with runners on first and third with one out. Crede should have bounced into the DP but Koskie muffed it. A second chance and what do we do? On the FIRST PITCH, Burke hits it right back at Koskie who turns the DP. In each of the first two innings the Twins manufactured runs and the Sox stranded runners on third with less than two out. I knew at that point that we were in for a long night. Henry Blanco's bomb only drove the nail into the coffin.

I didn't actually see the whole Hunter play because I was with my son who was more interested in watching the freight trains from the top of the UD than the ballgame at that point so I don't know if it was dirty.

jackbrohamer
07-27-2004, 09:25 AM
Bottom line, if the Sox don't use that cheap shot to motivate themselves they are pathetic.

Kilroy
07-27-2004, 09:35 AM
Bottom line, if the Sox don't use that cheap shot to motivate themselves they are pathetic.
If the Sox needed that cheap shot to motivate them they are pathetic.

Hello? First place on the line here.

jackbrohamer
07-27-2004, 09:52 AM
If the Sox needed that cheap shot to motivate them they are pathetic.

Hello? First place on the line here.
The Sox's performance last night struck you as "motivated"?

idseer
07-27-2004, 09:55 AM
The Sox's performance last night struck you as "motivated"?
i think you missed his point.

Deadguy
07-27-2004, 01:47 PM
Ozzie is spot on in his assessment of what happened.

I think most Sox fans are just making Hunter out to be the target of their frustrations as a result of seeing us become the the Bride's maid in the worst division in baseball for the third season in a row. Ussually this frustration is directed towards the team's star players, the manager, or the GM, but I think most fans here have enough sense to realize that none of those components are necessarilly to blame for this debacle.

idseer
07-27-2004, 02:00 PM
Ozzie is spot on in his assessment of what happened.

I think most Sox fans are just making Hunter out to be the target of their frustrations as a result of seeing us become the the Bride's maid in the worst division in baseball for the third season in a row. Ussually this frustration is directed towards the team's star players, the manager, or the GM, but I think most fans here have enough sense to realize that none of those components are necessarilly to blame for this debacle.
exactly.

Palehose13
07-27-2004, 02:01 PM
I am not so upset that he made contact, or even that he went out of his way to make contact. He took a head shot. That isn't even acceptable in the NFL, why should it be in MLB?

Next time a Sox player is going to break up a DP they should just stay up and drill the middle infielder in the head. Hey...it's just being aggressive and palying the game hard!

Mickster
07-27-2004, 02:04 PM
I am not so upset that he made contact, or even that he went out of his way to make contact. He took a head shot. That isn't even acceptable in the NFL, why should it be in MLB?
Exactly.

fquaye149
07-27-2004, 03:11 PM
HERE'S HOW IT IS:

Ozzie is not the players' baby sitter, he's not their mommy. If the players have so much love for Burke they will do something on their own. That's the way it is. Do you think Rocket ever needed Joe Torre to tell him to retaliate against a guy like Hunter?

But no, Michael Jackson says, "That's not the way I play."

I'll tell you what, if Ozzie were on that mound, Hunter would have probably made it to the hospital faster than Burke. But Ozzie can't go out there are throw the pitch. The players know how Ozzie wants them to play and they have to execute it.

If we are in the bottom of the ninth tie game with runners on 1st and 2nd no outs and the number 2 hitter up Ozzie shouldn't HAVE to call for a bunt. It should be automatic. So why should it be OZZIE'S responsibility to call for a retaliation?

I thought this team was tougher, but still, Ozzie has to be holding everyone's hand.

This whole situation is ridiculous and none of it is Ozzie's fault.

bluestar
07-27-2004, 03:24 PM
I totally agree with Ozzie here. I was at the game and was commenting to my friend in the third inning that the reason the Twins are where they are was on display. And that was BEFORE Radke retired 16 hitters in a row. Stewart leads off with a cheap slow hit down the third base line that stays fair. After a soft lineout by Punto (who was doing the right thing by just putting the ball in play and not trying to hit a home run) Ford hit a single to left-center that I though would leave runners on first and second. But no, Stewart kept hustling and got to third. Morneau tried to go yard and fell behind 0-2. But then he just put the ball in play and hit a slow grounder to third that got the run home. Perfect execution. Meanwhile Willie Harris does the same thing - bunts to get on, steals second and goes to third on a bad throw. Before the steal, though, Valentin pops out trying to hit a home run. And once Harris reaches third Lee, with two strikes, strikes out. Instead of adjusting his swing to ensure contact, and a run, he takes a hard swing and misses. After Everett's out it's all over. Second inning same thing happens (after a Konerko HR). For the Sox it's worse as Burke comes up with runners on first and third with one out. Crede should have bounced into the DP but Koskie muffed it. A second chance and what do we do? On the FIRST PITCH, Burke hits it right back at Koskie who turns the DP. In each of the first two innings the Twins manufactured runs and the Sox stranded runners on third with less than two out. I knew at that point that we were in for a long night. Henry Blanco's bomb only drove the nail into the coffin.

I didn't actually see the whole Hunter play because I was with my son who was more interested in watching the freight trains from the top of the UD than the ballgame at that point so I don't know if it was dirty.
I completely agree with your assessment. I actually told my wife after the third inning, "That's why the Twins have won the division the last three years and why the Sox haven't."

LASOXFAN
07-27-2004, 03:33 PM
I completely agree with your assessment. I actually told my wife after the third inning, "That's why the Twins have won the division the last three years and why the Sox haven't."
Add to that Hunter's bitch slap and you've got some very angry fans. We have a right to be angry. It's not whining wanting to see Hunter get beaned. It's just frustration. I hate it when the Sox look passive. I can't even watch. Show some life. Show that you give a damn.