PDA

View Full Version : Enough Willie Harris!!!!

ChiSoxTony
07-26-2004, 11:02 PM
How many more times are we going to have to watch this guys garbage. He is a terrible leadoff hitter. Ground balls to second are his specialty. Where is Uribe!!

Kogs35
07-26-2004, 11:04 PM
How many more times are we going to have to watch this guys garbage. He is a terrible leadoff hitter. Ground balls to second are his specialty. Where is Uribe!!
i would of loved to see uribe get into it. this would fire him up. william harris even though he got on hes was not the person i was looking for to get a hit

ND_Sox_Fan
07-26-2004, 11:09 PM
The bottom line on Willie was his two at bats after the rains started. There was no reason for him not to bunt with the wet grass.

He is very exciting with a load of potential - as seen in his first at bat and subsequent steal. If he is not going to do it more often, he is worthless.

balboner
07-26-2004, 11:42 PM
How does Willie Harris have potential? He can't hit the ball with authority at all. I don't even mean for homers, but just for solid liners or hot smashes up the middle. Everything is hit so weak that he's such an easy out.

ND_Sox_Fan
07-26-2004, 11:49 PM
How does Willie Harris have potential? He can't hit the ball with authority at all. I don't even mean for homers, but just for solid liners or hot smashes up the middle. Everything is hit so weak that he's such an easy out.
Potential to bat .250 bunting alone. The only time he hits the ball with authority is when he pulls it. I think a stint at Tripple-A with some major swing/mental work would do him a load of good.

elrod
07-27-2004, 12:31 AM
His first AB was great. Bunt single and reached third on a steal. Willie's not the problem. And Uribe would be no better.

Soxzilla
07-27-2004, 12:39 AM
Days like these I miss Ray Durham.

kittle42
07-27-2004, 01:14 AM
Days like these I miss Ray Durham.
He was the king of range.

Malgar 12
07-27-2004, 09:42 AM
His first AB was great. Bunt single and reached third on a steal. Willie's not the problem. And Uribe would be no better.
Are you watching the same worthless player I am? Uribe is better defensively, and is a much better hitter. With Thomas and Maggs out of the line-up the sox can't afford to have Willie "I cant hit the ball out of the infield" Harris in the line-up.

Blueprint1
07-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Are you watching the same worthless player I am? Uribe is better defensively, and is a much better hitter. With Thomas and Maggs out of the line-up the sox can't afford to have Willie "I cant hit the ball out of the infield" Harris in the line-up.
For some reason we have about 10 people on this board that think Willie Harris can become a great player somehow. I don't see it at all. The only thing I like about this player is his speed which he has no clue how to use stealing bases.

SoxxoS
07-27-2004, 10:28 AM
Absolutely. He has one major asset. Speed. And he is CLUELESS on the basepaths. So that negates his one asset.

This is why sprinters like Michael Johnson and Carl Lewis aren't major league ballplayers. There are other facets to the game.

Tom~Attitude
07-27-2004, 10:57 AM
Just put him on STEROIDS and CORK his bat! :wink: He's got potential to be a star!

kittle545feet
07-27-2004, 11:35 AM
in the trade with baltimore and chris singleton. i didn't think it was possible but we actually got someone worse than singleton. this was baltimore's number 1 prospect? no wonder they have sucked for so long if they feel harris can contribute anything to the game. he is worthless!:(:

mdep524
07-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Absolutely. He has one major asset. Speed. And he is CLUELESS on the basepaths. So that negates his one asset.

This is why sprinters like Michael Johnson and Carl Lewis aren't major league ballplayers. There are other facets to the game.
Also, in addition to the fact they he is clueless on the basepaths, he is equally mentally clueless at the plate. His idea of working a count is getting ahead and then taking two batting practice strikes right down the middle to let the pitcher right back in the count. It is so frustrating!!! Willie, if you are ahead 2-0 or 3-1 you need to be able to trust yourself to swing the bat at a gimme pitch!! If not, you cannot be a major league player.

It's like he's just praying that the pitcher throws a ball. He should be LOOKING for a fastball, and should smack it into centerfield for a single. Instead, everybody in the ballpark, heck, every pitcher and manager in the entire American League, knows that Willie will not be swinging on that count, so the choice to throw a ball down the middle is easy. The more times he hits 2-0, 3-1 pitches into centerfield for hits, pitchers will catch on and stop throwing perfect strikes in those counts, and THEN he will get more walks.

Blueprint1
07-27-2004, 11:41 AM
in the trade with baltimore and chris singleton. i didn't think it was possible but we actually got someone worse than singleton. this was baltimore's number 1 prospect? no wonder they have sucked for so long if they feel harris can contribute anything to the game. he is worthless!:(:
I believe Baltimore had given up on Willie at the time he was traded. It was swapping our garbage for their garbage. The only thing is we have kept the garbage on our team where is they have replaced theirs.

ma_deuce
07-27-2004, 11:56 AM
Harris is alright, though not as a leadoff hitter. Put him at the #2 spot behind Uribe. That way, if he grounds out, at least he can try and advance the runner.

Deuce

Malgar 12
07-27-2004, 02:34 PM
Harris is alright, though not as a leadoff hitter. Put him at the #2 spot behind Uribe. That way, if he grounds out, at least he can try and advance the runner.

Deuce
If he grounds out? Don't you mean WHEN?

Dadawg_77
07-27-2004, 02:36 PM

Deuce
Why would you want Uribe has your leadoff man?

ma_deuce
07-27-2004, 02:49 PM
Why would you want Uribe has your leadoff man?
He is the only guy hitting singles (when he does hit) outside of Rowand. And with Rowand doing well, I don't really want to move him.

Admittedly, my suggestion is not a perfect situation, but IMO the best option we have as of late.

Deuce