PDA

View Full Version : *Official* The sky is falling post game thread...

ChiSoxTony
07-26-2004, 10:50 PM
People wonder why the Twins win and we dont. Tonight is a perfect example. They advance runners, two out hits, score the runners in scoring position. We leave guys stranded, always swing for the fences, and play bad defense. Im sorry to say it but this is not a playoff team. We choked in front of a full house.

South Side
07-26-2004, 10:54 PM
TORI HUNTER... WHAT A MOTHER****ER. :angry:

Palehose13
07-26-2004, 10:55 PM
I'm not buying it. I'm not giving up and I don't think this team is either. Go buy a Twins hat if you want a twinkie lovefest.

South Side
07-26-2004, 10:57 PM
People wonder why the Twins win and we dont. Tonight is a perfect example. They advance runners, two out hits, score the runners in scoring position. We leave guys stranded, always swing for the fences, and play bad defense. Im sorry to say it but this is not a playoff team. We choked in front of a full house.
Wow... get a hold of yourself.

ChiSoxTony
07-26-2004, 10:58 PM
Its not a twinkie lovefest. This team did not come to play tonight. Thats embarassing. A full house, and no heart. This sucks!!!

Frank the Tank
07-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Hate to sound like a cubs fan, but there are plenty of games left in the season. The only thing I'm upset about is Torii Hunter not getting drilled in the 9th inning.

CWSGuy406
07-26-2004, 11:00 PM
Its not a twinkie lovefest. This team did not come to play tonight. Thats embarassing. A full house, and no heart. This sucks!!!
Yeah - this team has no heart, I bet they were trying to lose to Radke tonight.

Go away, like someone else said. We just didn't have it, and Radke pitched well, gotta go get 'em tomorrow.

South Side
Delightful! :angry:

VaSoxfan
Yeah where was all this excellent Twins baseball when we were beating them this year? Last I checked going into tonight we'd won 7 of 10 from them...so stop your whining...geesh we aren't going to beat them every time...get a grip. Tip your cap to Radke who pitched a great game and go on to the next game.

Dub25
I agree. Very similar effort from past years when this team was run by Manual.

Patrick134
Radke's hardly a bum, and he obviously had his good stuff tonight. Don't pick and choose one game to judge a season on. I'm sure you were in playoff mode after the sox swept the twins in the dome. chill out, it's far from over.

Palehose13
07-26-2004, 11:01 PM
Hate to sound like a cubs fan, but there are plenty of games left in the season. The only thing I'm upset about is Torii Hunter not getting drilled in the 9th inning.
Ditto. Perfect time to nail him. 2 outs and who cares if Jackson gets thrown out?

CWSGuy406
07-26-2004, 11:01 PM
Hunter better be wearing the armour tomorrow, that's for sure. Hopefully that will spark this team, and we'll be able to take tomorrow and Wednesday. Tomorrow is going to be one of our biggest challenges of the season, vs. the hottest pitcher in the AL, without two of our best sluggers.

Dub25
07-26-2004, 11:02 PM
Radke was let off the hook early when they couldn't score with a runner on 3rd less than 2 outs. He was leaving meatballs on the outer half for the sox righties to pound but they didn't.

kjhanson
07-26-2004, 11:02 PM
Mike Jackson has cost this team so many chances to come back in games, the least he can do was hit Torii Hunter. Ben Davis set up inside, but nothing. If he wants to show his veteran presence, he throws at Torii up and in.

It's a joke. After the play, Torii started jumping up and down as if he just accomplished something great. He could have seriously hurt Jamie Burke.

Jjav829
07-26-2004, 11:03 PM
Ditto. Perfect time to nail him. 2 outs and who cares if Jackson gets thrown out?
I agree as well. That is the best time to nail him. We're down 4. The game is virtually over as Nathan is in the pen. First base is open and Jackson is on the mound. Nail him, get it over with and make sure Freddy is in the game tomorrow. Now if we nail him tomorrow we risk losing Freddy. I don't like it.

Mots09
07-26-2004, 11:04 PM
I met him three years ago at spring training, and he was just an unbelivable nice down to earth guy.

I was furious when I saw this tonight.....

He burned my bridge:angry:

Blueprint1
07-26-2004, 11:05 PM
I just hope we can win tomorrow. This team tore my heart out last season when they couldn't beat the Twins in the second half of the season. Is this going to happen again this year? If so who will we blame this year? Maybe Kenny Williams for the half team he puts out there every year. I think putting uribe in one of these games wouldn't hurt.

LASOXFAN
Exactly. Same thing happened in Cleveland. Where are the stones on these guys? I don't believe Guillen can be happy about that. And I hope the Sox keep their mouths shut about it in the press. If they have anything to say about that metal-mouthed puss they should do it on the field. :angry:

balboner
Shannon Stewart makes a huge difference for this Twins team. He does a lot of the little stuff that J. Jones doesnt. Sorry, anytime you let Henry Blanco beat you, you don't deserve to win.

Win1ForMe
07-26-2004, 11:06 PM
Yeah - this team has no heart, I bet they were trying to lose to Radke tonight.

Go away, like someone else said. We just didn't have it, and Radke pitched well, gotta go get 'em tomorrow.
I disagree completely. We should have had at least 3 runs by the 2nd inning. Game would have changed. Once the Sox got down 4-1 you could completely see this team fold up. This was vintage Sox corpseball.

And to those who said not to panic after Frank/Maggs went down (you know who you are), you are completely clueless. This season is over unless the Sox find themselves another bat. No team's going to win with Timo Perez batting 6th (especially when followed by Rowand, Crede, & Burke).

Viva Magglio
07-26-2004, 11:06 PM
This game makes me want to throw up.

kjhanson
07-26-2004, 11:07 PM
Hunter has always been a jag bag to the Sox. He's a bastard who takes cheap shots at vulnerable catchers. I want him knocked down tomorrow. I will lose a lot of respect for Ozzie if he isn't knocked down.

This isn't about getting revenge. It's about protecting our team. Jamie Burke could have have a separated shoulder and be missing a considerable amount of time. Hunter went out of his way to knock him down and then celebrated it in the dugout.

Frankfan4life
07-26-2004, 11:08 PM
You have to give Radke his props today. He pitched a great game. We have to come back and get the next two. Not impossible. We have already kicked some Twins butt this year in their own house too. Torii will have to be dealt with before this series is over though.

pczarapa
Amen to that, but look who we had on the mound, no chance of Jackson having the accuracy to hit anyone!

mdep524
It's ridiculous, "the sky is falling" posts like this that take away from the credibility of serious constructive criticism in other postgame loss threads. It's just one game!

balboner
Uribe has destroyed the Twins this year. He needs to be playing everyday with Maggs and Frank out. I'm so sick of Willie Harris hitting weak grounders to 2b. Also, Harris has a terrible throwing arm which helped lead to 2 Twins triples tonight.

Palehose13
07-26-2004, 11:09 PM
Radke's hardly a bum, and he obviously had his good stuff tonight. Don't pick and choose one game to judge a season on. I'm sure you were in playoff mode after the sox swept the twins in the dome. chill out, it's far from over.Yep. It's not like they got killed 12-2 tonight (like the Sox have done to the twinks this season). This team has heart and I am willing to bet that they some out on fire tomorrow after all that happened with Torii.

http://www.tessbarton.com/ru/rudress.jpg

"Don't pick on my boyfriend Torii like that! He's got to work it girl!"

AnkleSox
07-26-2004, 11:10 PM
I think Torii's little a-hole move will fire the sox up enough to come back and get the next 2 games. As for not going after hunter, i'm sure ozzie will call something in retaliation if the sox take a huge lead in one of the next two games and Hunter comes up to bat in late innings.

I really have to make a clever sign to hold up about Torii tomorrow, and I really better see a white sox winner tomorrow.

Win1ForMe
07-26-2004, 11:12 PM
You have to give Radke his props today. He pitched a great game. We have to come back and get the next two. Not impossible. We have already kicked some Twins butt this year in their own house too. Torii will have to be dealt with before this series is over though.Brad Radke's best friend was a disintrested Sox offense. I think that sums it up much better.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2004, 11:12 PM
It is interesting that on White Sox. com they use the word 'ineptitude' as part of their comments on the game. That's a strong word for the 'official' site to use but it's right on.

Little things add up and you have to give the Twins credit, they are used to and comfortable with playing that style of ball, the Sox are not (although I think that will change in the next few years as the power hitters leave and Ozzie can impose his will on the club.

Sox have won 7 of 11 in the head to head series and still trail by a game and a half. Maybe the head to head outcomes don't mean as much as some thought.

Going to be tough tomorrow and Minnesota should be confident having won 3 of 4 this year in Comiskey Park.

Lip

oeo
07-26-2004, 11:13 PM
I hate how everyone on these boards go from, Sox are going to the World Series all the way to the Sox season is over. For crying out loud people, we're only a game and a half back, and we still have 2 games left this series that can still put us in first place.

Get a grip people, there's a lot of baseball to be played and we're only a game and half out.

BTW, I HATE TORII HUNTER! :angry:

kcsportscaster
07-26-2004, 11:14 PM
Yeah, I saw that junk by Hunter running over Burke despite the ball being off line. Why wasn't his little punk ass thrown out of the game???? Also, what was wrong with Mike F. Jackson NOT drilling him in the head in the ninth???? He had NOTHING to lose!!!! I flat out hope Garcia ends that punk ass's career tomorrow night, no matter if he is thrown out for hitting Hunter!!!! I've had it with Hunter, Jones, and the rest of those punk ass Twinks!!!! Hell, I've even had it with their fans, despite feeling for them during the Victory Sports One debacle back in April and the first week of May. DA SOX MUST COME OUT FIGHTING TOMORROW NIGHT, LITERALLY, AND TAKE THE LAST TWO!!!!:angry:

RKMeibalane
07-26-2004, 11:15 PM
:hurt :maggs

"Our injuries have magically healed! We are going to play tomorrow!"

...or not. Seriously, Hunter must be drilled tomorrow. That prick needs to be taught a lesson. More than that, the Sox need to stop letting other teams push them around. We've already seen this happen against Tampa Bay and Cleveland, with hitters getting thrown at because teams had no fear of retaliation.

I think the Sox will win tomorrow. Garcia has been pitching well, and I think the Sox realize that they need to win this series.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2004, 11:16 PM
Can someone describe the play for me?

Was Burke blocking the plate waiting for the ball? Was it a bang / bang play where the two individuals had no choice but to make contact? or was Burke just standing there without the ball and Hunter plowed him over?

What you tell me will go a long way towards determining if this was a dirty play or not, it may have been just a good hard collision.

Lip

South Side
07-26-2004, 11:16 PM
It's ridiculous, "the sky is falling" posts like this that take away from the credibility of serious constructive criticism in other postgame loss threads. It's just one game!
You are right on the money. There is one thing with being dissapointed with the team's performance and another with being manic depressive.

Frankfan4life
07-26-2004, 11:17 PM
I just hope we can win tomorrow. This team tore my heart out last season when they couldn't beat the Twins in the second half of the season. Is this going to happen again this year? If so who will we blame this year? Maybe Kenny Williams for the half team he puts out there every year. I think putting uribe in one of these games wouldn't hurt.Please don't start placing blame on KW. Maggs and Frank's injuries were not his fault. This team is missing two of their best hitters. Relax, the season is not over by a long shot. We got beat by a very good pitcher today and we did not execute well. It happens!

Soxaholic
07-26-2004, 11:17 PM
I know its only July 26th, but Torii Hunter's move might be the same to the Sox as what Paniagua did to the Twins last year. Sox have the momentum and then Panigua gives it right to the Twins even though the Sox won the game. Tonight, Twins have the momentum and win the game, but Hunter gives the Sox something to take from this game into the rest of the season series. I'm just looking for a positive, so bear with me.

TomParrish79
07-26-2004, 11:19 PM
keep the faith guys, Ozzie will have them ready for tomorrow.

Palehose13
or was Burke just standing there without the ball and Hunter plowed him over?
Lip
Bingo.

Funny thing is that Burke was Mic-ed up tongiht and in the dugout after he was describing what happened and said "I gave him the plate" (he was inside the line waiting for the throw). Hunter WENT OUT OF HIS WAY to plow HARD into an unsuspecting Burke. :angry:

HomeFish
Just got back. That was possibly the worst game I've ever seen that didn't involve Danny Wright.

It was nice to see the crowd stand up and cheer for Shingo when he was on the field throwing the ball around before the game. That's dedication.

kjhanson

Was Burke blocking the plate waiting for the ball? Was it a bang / bang play where the two individuals had no choice but to make contact? or was Burke just standing there without the ball and Hunter plowed him over?

What you tell me will go a long way towards determining if this was a dirty play or not, it may have been just a good hard collision.

Lip
Jamie was about 4 feet in front of the plate, the throw was off line. Torii went high right into Jamie and bowled him over. His foot hit the plate, but by accident. In fact, he went back and retouched it because he didn't think he got the plate.

Torii then jumped up, looking happy, and high-fived everyone in the dugout. He was elated to have hurt our catcher.

RKMeibalane
07-26-2004, 11:20 PM
Please don't start placing blame on KW. Maggs and Frank's injuries were not his fault. This team is missing two of their best hitters. Relax, the season is not over by a long shot. We got beat by a very good pitcher today and we did not execute well. It happens!
Agreed. This is not Williams' fault. He could not have prevented the injuries to Frank or Maggs, and it's also not his fault that Buehrle and Garland continue to crap themselves during big games. The Sox can still get back into first by winning the next two games. And even if they don't, there is still a lot of baseball left. The season is not over by any stretch of the imagination. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

And Hunter must be drilled!

South Side

Lip

This was DIRTY... No ****ing doubt about it... Hunter went out of his way to slam Burke... Burke let him have an easy sliding path and if you watch the replay you can see Torri bitch ass Hunter make an effort to move to his left. Bitch...

Palehose13
I know its only July 26th, but Torii Hunter's move might be the same to the Sox as what Paniagua did to the Twins last year. Sox have the momentum and then Panigua gives it right to the Twins even though the Sox won the game. Tonight, Twins have the momentum and win the game, but Hunter gives the Sox something to take from this game into the rest of the season series. I'm just looking for a positive, so bear with me.
I'm with you and was thinking along the same lines. I guess we will see.

Lip Man 1
I've been a Sox fan for 43 years and find it interesting that so many people take offense when other teams reportedly 'pop off' and 'show up' the Sox.

If it's a team that's behind the Sox in the standings doing something like that I can understand the anger but in this case if it's the Twins, like it or not, the fact remains they have finished higher then the Sox three years in a row.

The best revenge the Sox can do is to finish higher then Minnesota this year. Then the Sox can talk all they want, until them the Twins have earned the right to shoot their mouths off. Instead of getting pissed the Sox should use it for motivation. (as well as Sox fans...)

Lip

Kogs35
07-26-2004, 11:21 PM
i hope they take lecroy, martha shannon stewart, torrie hunter and hit them in the faces and send them out for the season. this just lights the fire. and i hope one of there bats "Accidently" hits santana or nathan or any of there pitches in the face. grrrrrrrrrrr

Frankfan4life
07-26-2004, 11:22 PM

LipBurke was not blocking the plate and he did not have the ball. Hunter was not even going for the plate. He went straight for Burke and hit him hard. Real hard. I'm very surprised Burke was not hurt. It was a totally dirty play and totally uncessary.

Uncle_Patrick
:boston
"What Torii Hunter did tonight was good for the game. The White Sox were right not to retaliate. A Twins victory is what baseball needs."

beckett21

Lip
Burke was standing in front of home plate waiting for the throw from right. Hunter had a clear lane to home plate, instead chose to go out of his way to plow Burke a'la Pete Rose/Ray Fosse style. He then popped up, and gingerly stepped on home plate with an arrogant expression on his face.

Dirty without any shadow of doubt.

Palehose13
07-26-2004, 11:23 PM
I've been a Sox fan for 43 years and find it interesting that so many people take offense when other teams reportedly 'pop off' and 'show up' the Sox.

If it's a team that's behind the Sox in the standings doing something like that I can understand the anger but in this case if it's the Twins, like it or not, the fact remains they have finished higher then the Sox three years in a row.

The best revenge the Sox can do is to finish higher then Minnesota this year. Then the Sox can talk all they want, until them the Twins have earned the right to shoot their mouths off. Instead of getting pissed the Sox should use it for motivation. (as well as Sox fans...)

Lip
Lip...what Hunter did was one of the dirtiest things I have seen happen to a Sox player (and unprovoked, I might add) in years.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2004, 11:23 PM
Then why didn't the umpires throw Hunter out of the game? There are rules for contact with catchers in the handbook.

If it was as blatent as you describe then I'm at a loss to explain this. Either the umpires blew it or it was not a dirty play.

Lip

RKMeibalane
07-26-2004, 11:24 PM

Lip
The reason we're upset is because Hunter not only disrespected the Chicago White Sox, but he also went out of his way to potentially hurt another player. That is uncalled for. I don't care who you are or what team you play for. Even thinking about hurting another player is crossing the line. I hope Hunter is at least disciplined by the MLB League Office.

RKMeibalane
07-26-2004, 11:25 PM
Then why didn't the umpires throw Hunter out of the game? There are rules for contact with catchers in the handbook.

If it was as blatent as you describe then I'm at a loss to explain this. Either the umpires blew it or it was not a dirty play.

Lip
The umpires blew it, then, because that was one of the most assinine things I've ever seen take place on a baseball field.

Palehose13
07-26-2004, 11:25 PM
If it was as blatent as you describe then I'm at a loss to explain this. Either the umpires blew it

LipBingo!

*Edit: Funny how they throw out the Tiger pitcher yesterday because of a curveball that got away and ignore this. Yes, I am aware that they are probably different umps, but do you think the quick call yesterday kept Tori Spelling in the game?

beckett21
07-26-2004, 11:27 PM

LipIt was a dirty play, Lip. Plain and simple. The kind of play that can end a career for absolutely NO reason.

Maybe if you had seen it, you would take offense as well. I don't care if it was a Twin or a Yankee or an Expo. A cheap shot is a cheap shot.

Friendly piece of advice, watch sportscenter tonight and then let's see if you still champion *poor persecuted Torii's* cause. :rolleyes:

South Side
07-26-2004, 11:27 PM

Lip
10 people aren't lieing to you.. It was dirty. Burke was hit hard. Hunter NEEDS to get drilled... I was dissapointed Jackson didn't get him but I liked how the crowd immediatly turned on him... TORRI SUCKS, TORRI SUCKS. He looked shaken up when he told the people behind him to shut the **** up. :D:

Frankfan4life
07-26-2004, 11:29 PM

LipIt was a dirty play. Burke did not even have the ball when Hunter hit him. How is that not dirty?

HomeFish
07-26-2004, 11:29 PM
It was a dirty play, Lip. Plain and simple. The kind of play that can end a career for absolutely NO reason.

Maybe if you had seen it, you would take offense as well. I don't care if it was a Twin or a Yankee or an Expo. A cheap shot is a cheap shot.

Friendly piece of advice, watch sportscenter tonight and then let's see if you still champion *poor persecuted Torii's* cause. :rolleyes:

Beckett, I take it you were at tonight's game? If so, were you by any chance in the right field UD in a Josh Beckett jersey?

RKMeibalane
07-26-2004, 11:30 PM
10 people aren't lieing to you.. It was dirty. Burke was hit hard. Hunter NEEDS to get drilled... I was dissapointed Jackson didn't get him but I liked how the crowd immediatly turned on him... TORRI SUCKS, TORRI SUCKS. He looked shaken up when he told the people behind him to shut the **** up. :D:
Torii Hunter is classic bully. He can dish it out, but he can't take it. He'll probably cry when he gets hit tomorrow.

bluestar

Lip
Amen.

The best retaliation the Sox could dole out would be to take these last two games from the Twins and then leave them in the dust.

Uncle_Patrick

Lip
Couldn't tell you why the umps didn't throw him out, but it a blatantly dirty play. Hunter took a step to the left, away from the direction of the plate, to knock down Burke. Burke didn't have the ball, wasn't blocking the plate, and wasn't even looking at Hunter. Hunter knocked Burke down and then had to go back to step on the plate.

I'd love to hear Hunter's explanation.

I've hated Hunter since I saw him through the ball at the pitcher who hit him a couple years back. What a piece of crap.

beckett21
07-26-2004, 11:32 PM
Beckett, I take it you were at tonight's game? If so, were you by any chance in the right field UD in a Josh Beckett jersey?
I wish I could say I was there.

Guilty of owning a Beckett jersey, but no I was not there tonight.

I had a ticket for Wednesday's game, but because it is an afternoon game I had to give it up. :(:

Flight #24

Lip
Burke's foot was near the baseline, and he was around the plate such that he MIGHT have been able to make a tag had he had the ball, but he was clearly off of the plate and the throw didn't beat the runner. Hunter lowered his shoulder and leaped at his head missile style. The closest comparison I can think of is Richard Dent sacking Joe Montana all those years ago. Except this was with a 90-foot running start.

He didnt go for the plate at all, just at the catcher's head. Should've been thrown out, but my guess is the umps will require a guy to not even be in the vicinity of the plate to do that. This was as dirty as when Belle spiked that 2B in Milwaukee (IIRC, he wasn't thrown out either).

Torii will get hit, or maybe we'll just go at Stewart, Morneau, AND Hunter.

Whitesox029
Another inspired effort against the overachieving scrubs from Minnesota.

South Side
I just saw the replay on Baseball Tonight and Burke was lieing on the ground and when Huter went back to touch the play he stomped his foot down like, "Take that". What a little bitch... I will be thoroughly annoyed if Ozzie doesn't do something about it.

kjhanson
07-26-2004, 11:33 PM
I love how on SportsCenter they make a joke out of the fact that Hunter smashed Burke...They replayed it three times and Kevin Frazier thought it was quite entertaining. They even showed him celebrating in the dugout after the fact.

It's almost an hour later now, but I'm still lvid.

CHISOXFAN13
07-26-2004, 11:36 PM

Well then, maybe you can explain to me why we are 7-4 agsinst this team this season? Please, I need to know.

Soxaholic
07-26-2004, 11:36 PM
I was thinking..for once we don't have Mientkiewicz here to open his mouth against the Sox and what do you know Hunter goes and gives WSI something to talk about! He shouldn't have been ejected but with the age we are living in with replays, I don't think anyone can convince me that Torii Hunter did not have enough room to slide safely into home. If Torii honestly believes that Burke was crowding the plate, he is probably going to run through a wall chasing down a fly ball the next time he runs to the track if he can't see that.

RKMeibalane
07-26-2004, 11:37 PM
I love how on SportsCenter they make a joke out of the fact that Hunter smashed Burke...They replayed it three times and Kevin Frazier thought it was quite entertaining. They even showed him celebrating in the dugout after the fact.

It's almost an hour later now, but I'm still lvid.
That pissed me off. ESPN seems to think that anything negative that happens to the Sox is funny. What would they have said if Burke had broken his leg or torn up his knee on the the play? The media needs to get a ****ing clue. Classless all the way around tonight.

**** ESPN!

beckett21
07-26-2004, 11:37 PM

It's almost an hour later now, but I'm still lvid.:hawk

"I can't say it on the air, but I know what the hell I would do!"

Kogs35
07-26-2004, 11:38 PM
lorrie hunters response is next on the post game on espn1000

RKMeibalane
Well then, maybe you can explain to me why we are 7-4 agsinst this team this season? Please, I need to know.
The trolling on this site is out of control. The smallest thing goes wrong, and the trolls appear.

RKMeibalane
lorrie hunters response is next on the post game on espn1000
What does the ****er have to say for himself?

Aidan
07-26-2004, 11:42 PM
I listened to the game on the radio and just saw the Torii Hunter/Jamie Burke play at the plate. That was dirty, plain and simple. He could have tip toed the plate for the run. Timo's throw was off line and Burke was giving him the whole plate. Torii actually ran a few steps left to plow Burke. It was a pretty cheap shot. Hunter is a coward. I just heard on The Score that Buehrle had to drive Burke to the hospital.

Uncle_Patrick
That pissed me off. ESPN seems to think that anything negative that happens to the Sox is funny. What would they have said if Burke had broken his leg or torn up his knee on the the play? The media needs to get a ****ing clue. Classless all the way around tonight.

What do you think the reaction would be in Carlos Lee or Jose Valentin did that to the Twins catcher? I don't think we'd be hearing any laughter then.

:boston
"The White Sox in the World Series is not what this game needs."

Kogs35
"my instincs took over" "i have todo what i have to do. " im just playing the game" "im not a dirty player. "some of the fans threaten my life". "lets go im from the hood."

thats what lorrie hunter said

Lip Man 1
07-26-2004, 11:43 PM
For what it's worth:

The A.P. is reporting the Twins second baseman suffered a broken collarbone so obviously he won't be in the lineup tomorrow. He'll probably miss four to six weeks. That makes what, five or six serious injuries for them this year?

Dr. Beckett: I'm not defending Hunter or the Twins, if it was a dirty play then action needs to be taken. I'm simply saying that until the Sox finally beat Minnesota at something the Twins have earned the right to pop off as much and as often as they want. If the fans or players don't like it, then finish ahead of them in the standings. The past three years the Twins have backed up their talk, the Sox meanwhile have grossly underachieved. I don't like it but those are the facts.

Chisox 13: The Sox are 7-4 against Minnesota but the only thing that counts right now is the fact they are now 1 1/2 ahead of us in the standings. Obviously they are beating more of the other teams then the Sox are. (With notice given for the goofy unbalanced schedules, particularly in interleague play.)

Lip

South Side
Does it matter? As if he's going to admit it. HE NEEDS TO BE DRILLED.

RKMeibalane
"my instincs took over" "i have todo what i have to do. " im just playing the game" "im not a dirty player. "some of the fans threaten my life". "lets go im from the hood."

Wow. Just wow.

Torii Hunter = mental midget

southsideirish71
07-26-2004, 11:44 PM
I am sick of everyone tipping their hat to the opposing players. Radke pitched his game which is throw outside all of the time. We have had a problem with soft tossing pitchers who spot the pitch away. This is because our hitters get so excited to see the slow fastball they cant realize that you are not supposed to pull the outside pitch. They roll their wrists over and ground out or pop up. This is why Jaret Wright, Seth Glesinger(the first time) and others have had sub five hit performances against the sox. Carlos Lee was a perfect example. Radke fed him a steady diet of fastballs and changeups on the outside corner. Lee wouldnt swing and take 2 for strikes and then would try to foul off pitch instead of going with the pitch. Our hitters get stubborn because they feel that they are going to miss a great opportunity to stare are a long home run. This is why we have so many hitters with sub .260 averages.

Where are the grinders Kenny?

Kogs35
burly drove burke to the hospital because burke was experincing headaches.

may lorrie hunter pay for what he did

RKMeibalane
Does it matter? As if he's going to admit it. HE NEEDS TO BE DRILLED.
I just wanted to hear his excuses. He had plenty of them, apparently.

Palehose13
07-26-2004, 11:45 PM
I am sure that by time I type this others will say what Torii said. Timo has one of the best arms in the league? First that I have heard of that. And what was that crap to the fans? "Bring it on, from the hood, playa." Consider Hunter public enemy #1. Mecantspellmyname has moved to #2. Crap. Utter crap. I hope the Sox team takes a few looks at that replay and sees what we all saw.

Best of luck to Jamie...I hope all is well. Dizzy and blurry vision. IMO, sounds like one of my many concussions.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2004, 11:46 PM
What has Ozzie had to say?

Lip

Uncle_Patrick
07-26-2004, 11:48 PM
He seriously said that he's "from the hood"? What the hell...?

kjhanson
07-26-2004, 11:49 PM

Torii Hunter is from Pine Bluff, Arkansas. Can I get some "hood" verification for that?
Yeah, sounds pretty tame to me. I say we set him up around the ballpark late nite across the Dan Ryan and see if his hood experience pays off. He wouldn't last, cocky punk.

South Side
07-26-2004, 11:49 PM

Yeah, and I hope those fans follow through on their threats... What a jerk!
He's from the hood? What the ****?? What an ass... BEAN HIM!

Palehose13
07-26-2004, 11:50 PM
He seriously said that he's "from the hood"? What the hell...?
Apparently fans were threatening his life and he replied with "Why wait? Do it now. I'm from the hood, playa. Let's go".

beckett21
Dr. Beckett: I'm not defending Hunter or the Twins, if it was a dirty play then action needs to be taken. I'm simply saying that until the Sox finally beat Minnesota at something the Twins have earned the right to pop off as much and as often as they want. If the fans or players don't like it, then finish ahead of them in the standings. The past three years the Twins have backed up their talk, the Sox meanwhile have grossly underachieved. I don't like it but those are the facts.

LipPoint taken Lip. We need to beat them this season, I agree. They have earned the swagger.

This play was inexcusable in my book. Burke gave him the plate, and there was no play. It's one thing to pop off to the media or celebrate a home run. Nothing wrong with playing hard either. But it was not necessary in this case.

Soxaholic
This guy from the hood probably has a security guard in front of his hotel room door, with a bat next to his bed and the light on. Sure, the hood. We believe you Torri.

South Side
What has Ozzie had to say?

Lip
He better have heard those comments the ******* made...

Lip Man 1
07-26-2004, 11:53 PM
From Scott Merkin's game recap on White Sox. com:

"Hunter looked as if he could have slid to the left of Burke and still easily score ahead of Timo Perez's throw. But instead, he plowed over Burke and touched home plate."

Obviously Hunter intended to make a 'statment.' It certainly looks like he did...the question now is how do the Sox respond...not by throwing at people (since the umpires will be on the lookout and it could result in Garcia getting tossed) but by doing things that win games.

Lip

Uncle_Patrick
07-26-2004, 11:53 PM
:moron

"Fans at that hell-hole were threatening the life of one of the game's best centerfielders and most stand up guys? I tried to warn everybody."

Flight #24
07-26-2004, 11:54 PM
For what it's worth:

The A.P. is reporting the Twins second baseman suffered a broken collarbone so obviously he won't be in the lineup tomorrow. He'll probably miss four to six weeks. That makes what, five or six serious injuries for them this year?

Chisox 13: The Sox are 7-4 against Minnesota but the only thing that counts right now is the fact they are now 1 1/2 ahead of us in the standings. Obviously they are beating more of the other teams then the Sox are. (With notice given for the goofy unbalanced schedules, particularly in interleague play.)

Lip
So if the next thing is that Shannon Stewart deliberately spikes Valentin and jumps up to celebrate it - is that legit since "they're 1.5 up on us"?

Dirty play and celebration of potential injury-causing plays is NEVER warranted.

And last I checked, we're tied in the most important stat - the loss column.

Kogs35
07-26-2004, 11:55 PM
torrie hunter is now lorrie hunter and shannon stweart is now martha stweart in my book.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2004, 11:56 PM
Flight:

Please read carefully from my post: "if it was a dirty play then action needs to be taken."

Thank you.

Lip

ChiSoxTony
07-26-2004, 11:58 PM
Stop giving Radke that much credit. If any of our players would hit to right field instead of trying to pull everything maybe we would have a chance, and forget the s**t about hitting Torii. They way you get back at them is WIN WIN!! Retaliation belongs on the other side of town, and for those of you with the "its just one game , stop panicking" attitude every game is important from here on out. Thats two bad games in a row.

Flight #24
07-27-2004, 12:01 AM
Flight:

Please read carefully from my post: "if it was a dirty play then action needs to be taken."

Thank you.

Lip
Lip - your quote that I took issue with:

I'm simply saying that until the Sox finally beat Minnesota at something the Twins have earned the right to pop off as much and as often as they want.
Hunter & co were celebrating the fact that he leveled Burke unecessarily. You said that until we beat them they have the right to do so. I disagree.

Uncle_Patrick
07-27-2004, 12:02 AM
Stop giving Radke that much credit. If any of our players would hit to right field instead of trying to pull everything maybe we would have a chance, and forget the s**t about hitting Torii. They way you get back at them is WIN WIN!! Retaliation belongs on the other side of town, and for those of you with the "its just one game , stop panicking" attitude every game is important from here on out. Thats two bad games in a row.I'll agree that the best retaliation would be to win the next two games. Still wouldn't mind seeing the playa from da hood feel a little pain, though.

kjhanson
07-27-2004, 12:04 AM
Lip, I know you're trying to be sensible about this and not let your emotions get the best of you. However, until you actually watch the play, I would advise that you refrain from commenting on the Torii Hunter play. Your comments are out of line and you do seem to be defending the Twins and Torii Hunter. Saying they can "pop off" because they've earned the right. Watch the replay; watch Torii Hunter stomp down on home plate and prance away. Watch him high-five his teammates in the dugout; watch him celebrate his potential injury of one of our players. Then, and only then, can you speak about this play. If your reaction is the same, so be it. But don't do out and try to sound like the peacemaker, you're preaching to the wrong choir.

Here's a link to a forum that would welcome your comments more than we (or at least I) would:

http://p216.ezboard.com/fdtfcdtfcminnesotatwinsforum

kcsportscaster
07-27-2004, 12:04 AM

**** ESPN!
Amen!!!! When do the four letter network and their twerpy anchors NOT make light of either dirty plays or bloopers???? Who in the freakin' hell is that NBA groupie Kevin "I'm leaving ESPN for Entertainment Tonight" Frazier to make light of that punk ass Hunter running over Burke anyway, especially when word is now out that Buehrle had to drive him to the hospital???? Now do you see why the best talent the four letter network has ever had all move on to over-the-air networks NOT named ABC???? Do these ex-four letter networkers who are now at either CBS, Fox, or NBC ring a bell? Greg Gumbel, Bonnie Bernstein, Tim Brando, Craig Bolerjack, Kevin Harlan, Clark Kellogg, Phil Simms, Lesley Visser, Mark Malone (Local CBS in Chicago), Pam Oliver, Chris Myers, Keith Olbermann, Melissa Stark, etc. All of them, for the most part, are still doing sports, even Olbermann in a small role, I think, while dopes such as Craig Kilborn and in a few months, Kevin Frazier, use ESPN to audition for either comedy or other non-sports gigs.

ESPN SUCKS!!!!

kjhanson
07-27-2004, 12:14 AM
Random reaction from Twins boards:

"The White Sox buffoon announcing team went on at length about Torii's "cheap shot" on the collision at the plate. I think they're full of it. Put yourself in Torii's shoes. He doesn't know if the throw is going to be on target or up the line, so he took the catcher out. The only fault I find with the play is that he risked an injury to himself."

"It was funny to listen to the Sux broadcasters whining about Hunter's collision with their catcher, and then switch to the Twins guys saying it was "just a hard baseball play.""

Flight #24
07-27-2004, 12:17 AM
Random reaction from Twins boards:

"The White Sox buffoon announcing team went on at length about Torii's "cheap shot" on the collision at the plate. I think they're full of it. Put yourself in Torii's shoes. He doesn't know if the throw is going to be on target or up the line, so he took the catcher out. The only fault I find with the play is that he risked an injury to himself."

"It was funny to listen to the Sux broadcasters whining about Hunter's collision with their catcher, and then switch to the Twins guys saying it was "just a hard baseball play.""
Yup, and when Timo/Gload takes out the Twins SS/2B on a play at 2d, that'll be an equally hard play.

Ozzie can't say it was dirty or imply anything about retaliation publicly, or he's asking for trouble for whoever retaliates and/or himself.

Fungo
07-27-2004, 12:22 AM
Apparently fans were threatening his life and he replied with "Why wait? Do it now. I'm from the hood, playa. Let's go".I heard this as well in the Bruce Levine post game interview. He's a bigger ass than I thought. I mean seriously, did he really think someone was gonna come out and take his life? A fight right there in the on-deck circle? Just a dumb, dumb comment. As far as Mike Jackson throwing at him...I'm not sure that Mike Jackson knows how to throw a pitch other than right down the middle.

Fungo
07-27-2004, 12:31 AM
The Sox are 7-4 against Minnesota but the only thing that counts right now is the fact they are now 1 1/2 ahead of us in the standings. Obviously they are beating more of the other teams then the Sox are.
I thought this very same thing earlier today. Even if the Sox come back to win the series, they will be 9-4 in head to head against the Twins and will only be in first place by a game. Don't get me wrong, I'll take it, but we obviously need to do a better job against the other teams. That being said, we need to regroup and take these next two games. Nothing will speak louder than coming back to take the series.

doublem23
07-27-2004, 12:33 AM
Ah yes, the prototypical, "we lost a game, the season's over!" thread.

:rolleyes:

A.T. Money
07-27-2004, 12:35 AM
So are we going to hit Hunter and risk getting Garcia ejected tomorrow? No thanks.

Let's get a lead and then plunk him in the 8th.

Lip Man 1
07-27-2004, 12:37 AM
I saw the play... I agree it was uncalled for and again something needs to be done about it BY THE LEAGUE OFFICE.

The Sox need to shut up and play baseball, they need to win games, then they can celebrate all they want.

Unlike some fans I don't have a problem with mouthing off and trash talking, again the Twins have finished higher then the Sox three straight years, they are still playing with that 'contraction' chip on their shoulder. If the Sox finished higher then Minnesota three years in a row then they could say any damn thing they want. They would have earned that right.

If you can back it up I have no problem with the talk. Like it or not, the Twins have backed it up.

Now understand I'm drawing the line here between shooting off your mouth and delibrately trying to hurt someone.

I have a problem with that play, but unlike some fans I don't make an 'issue' every time someone with Minnesota says something.

Here's the best example I can give you. For three straight years the Pistons kicked the Bulls rear ends, they physically beat them up, shot their mouths off and embarassed them. I never heard MJ, or Bill Cartwright, or Horace Grant or John Paxson, whine or make excuses or bitch. They worked harder, physically pushed themselves farther and 'forced' the rest of the Bulls to do better.

The blew the Pistons away in the Spring of 91, won three straight titles and had the last laugh over Detroit.

If the Sox want revenge they can start winning games in Oakland, they can learn to win in Anaheim, they can figure out how to get guys home from 3rd base with less then two out and players like Jon Garland can learn to stop walking people.

That translates into wins folks and if they do that enough they'll get the last laugh on Minnesota.

I'm more concerned about that then playing the game off 'did you hear what (insert name of Twins player) said???

oh and Flight, I watched ESPN, I saw the tape, Hunter was high fiving in the dugout... I didn't see anything unreasonable about that. Players on all teams high five all the time.

Lip

Flight #24
07-27-2004, 12:40 AM
I thought this very same thing earlier today. Even if the Sox come back to win the series, they will be 9-4 in head to head against the Twins and will only be in first place by a game. Don't get me wrong, I'll take it, but we obviously need to do a better job against the other teams. That being said, we need to regroup and take these next two games. Nothing will speak louder than coming back to take the series.
A lot of that has to do with the vagaries of the schedule whereby the Twins have played 48 games v. ALC, the Sox have played 30. That's 18 games against mostly inferior competition. Meanwhile the Twins have played 12 v. the ALW, the Sox have played 23. Similar #s for the ALE I believe.

Heck - they only play KC 3 more times, we still have 14. I don't care who else each team plays, that's a huge advantage since there aren't really any teams that are worse than the Royals. (The other terrible team is Seattle and we each play them 3 times.)

We're tied in the loss column and they have a much tougher schedule than we do from here on out. Right now, they're playing better than us, but I think we still have a pretty solid net advantage and chance to win.

You still gotta play & win the games, and the H2H games from here on out will be key. But if we can play them relatively even in those, I really like our chances.

Flight #24
07-27-2004, 12:44 AM
Now understand I'm drawing the line here between shooting off your mouth and delibrately trying to hurt someone.

oh and Flight, I watched ESPN, I saw the tape, Hunter was high fiving in the dugout... I didn't see anything unreasonable about that. Players on all teams high five all the time.

Lip
That may be the case, but the way Hunter jumped up over Burke after the dirty play and then celebrated it in the dugout to me is 100% classless and uncalled for. Torii deliberately took out Burke, jumped up over him in a very taunting manner, then celebrated his "great" play. It's not "shooting off your mouth" or "trash talking". The Twins have earned the right to do those things, but celebrating dirty plays and plays that can (and apparently did) hurt someone is crossing the line.

But that's just my opinion, you have a right not to share it.

bluestar
07-27-2004, 12:45 AM
I saw the play... I agree it was uncalled for and again something needs to be done about it BY THE LEAGUE OFFICE.

The Sox need to shut up and play baseball, they need to win games, then they can celebrate all they want.

Unlike some fans I don't have a problem with mouthing off and trash talking, again the Twins have finished higher then the Sox three straight years, they are still playing with that 'contraction' chip on their shoulder. If the Sox finished higher then Minnesota three years in a row then they could say any damn thing they want. They would have earned that right.

If you can back it up I have no problem with the talk. Like it or not, the Twins have backed it up.

I have a problem with that play, but unlike some fans I don't make an 'issue' every time someone with Minnesota says something.

Here's the best example I can give you. For three straight years the Pistons kicked the Bulls rear ends, they physically beat them up, shot their mouths off and embarassed them. I never heard MJ, or Bill Cartwright, or Horace Grant or John Paxson, whine or make excuses or bitch. They worked harder, physically pushed themselves farther and 'forced' the rest of the Bulls to do better.

The blew the Pistons away in the Spring of 91, won three straight titles and had the last laugh over Detroit.

If the Sox want revenge they can start winning games in Oakland, they can learn to win in Anaheim, they can figure out how to get guys home from 3rd base with less then two out and players like Jon Garland can learn to stop walking people.

That translates into wins folks and if they do that enough they'll get the last laugh on Minnesota.

I'm more concerned about that then playing the game off 'did you hear what (insert name of Twins player) said???

Lip
I totally agree.

Lip Man 1
07-27-2004, 12:48 AM
Flight:

No problem. I want the Sox to win as much or more then other folks because I've suffered longer, but the bottom line is the same issues remain with the club that have been around since the start of the 2001 season. That has got to change and overnight.

Injuries happen, in fact I've just sent George a historical story outlining five other 'bizarre / fluke' injuries that cost the Sox potential titles in 1955, 1957, 1963, 1972 and 1973. The question now is how do the Sox respond to losing Maggs and Frank?, after all the Twins, Cubs and Angels have lost more good players then the Sox this year just to name three teams.

We'll see...

Lip

Frankfan4life
07-27-2004, 12:57 AM
Brad Radke's best friend was a disintrested Sox offense. I think that sums it up much better.Huh? Then you have to ask why the Sox offense would be disinterested in one of the most important series of the season? What more interesting series are they waiting for to really get into? Do you think they're trying to save all their energy for the post season?

Flight #24
07-27-2004, 01:01 AM
Injuries happen, in fact I've just sent George a historical story outlining five other 'bizarre / fluke' injuries that cost the Sox potential titles in 1955, 1957, 1963, 1972 and 1973. The question now is how do the Sox respond to losing Maggs and Frank?, after all the Twins, Cubs and Angels have lost more good players then the Sox this year just to name three teams.

We'll see...

Lip
If by "more good players", you mean volume, sure. But the Twins haven't lost anyone as good as either Frank or Maggs, let alone 2 such players. The impact of losing one of those is greater than the impact of losing, say Luis Rivas, Doug Mientieieidiwicz, AND Corey Koskie for a stretch.

Soxzilla
07-27-2004, 01:04 AM
We need to worry about winning these next two games. Let's prove our point that way instead of beaning a total waste of space in hunter. Our appearance in the media is already bad enough? Why make it even worse when we bean hunter in tommorow's game and end up losing?

Let's use our bats to beat those bastards.

As for the twins deserving to celebrate? How so, we have literally kicked the crap out of them this entire season, what is the series, 7-4? They need to do a reality check.

We have santana up, let's get it done tommorow

Santana vs 2004 sox, 0-2, era above 7.

Lip Man 1
07-27-2004, 01:06 AM
Flight:

Last I looked that kid Joe Mauer was pretty damn good.

Lip

Flight #24
07-27-2004, 01:11 AM
Flight:

Lip
Lip: You seem to be saying that Mauer and his .939 OPS over 107ABs somehow equate to being as impactful as Frank and his .997 OPS over his career. Mauer's a very good young player, but to say that he's the offensive equal to Maggs or Frank is ludicrous.

I'll say it again: The Twins have had more good players injured, but the Sox have had the 2 best players on either team injured, which is much more impactful.

Mickster
07-27-2004, 01:11 AM
Flight:

Lip
Lip,

He's played how many games in the bigs???

AnkleSox
07-27-2004, 03:20 AM
I know the topics already been drilled to the ground, but one main reason I think what Hunter did was intentional was because of the broken collarbone that Punto received. I can understand the disappointment of THAT, but it was his own damn fault; no Sox player had any contact with him at all.

OEO Magglio
07-27-2004, 03:23 AM
Ah yes, the prototypical, "we lost a game, the season's over!" thread.

:rolleyes:It's pretty routine around here by now, what else did you expect?

Aidan
07-27-2004, 04:09 AM
If by "more good players", you mean volume, sure. But the Twins haven't lost anyone as good as either Frank or Maggs, let alone 2 such players. The impact of losing one of those is greater than the impact of losing, say Luis Rivas, Doug Mientieieidiwicz, AND Corey Koskie for a stretch.Agreed. Imagine what would happen to other teams if they lost their #3 and #4 hitters in their lineup. If the Cubs lost Sosa and Alou, they would fold faster than an accordion. They probably wouldn't even score 3 runs a game.

doublem23
07-27-2004, 04:14 AM
Flight:

LipI see how it is... The kids are always worthless and no-good as long as they're not on the Sox.

And you can't honestly be comparing Joe Mauer to the kind of productivity of a healthy Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez. Come on, Lip, I know the sky is perpetually falling, but that's just downright ridiculous. :kukoo:

ma-gaga
07-27-2004, 04:15 AM
I know the topics already been drilled to the ground, but one main reason I think what Hunter did was intentional was because of the broken collarbone that Punto received. I can understand the disappointment of THAT, but it was his own damn fault; no Sox player had any contact with him at all.
uh... yeah. He was completely upset about that. Punto's played in 15 games this year, there's no connection there.

Playing Twins psychologist, there's probably a ton of pent up frustration with their current roster situation (trading away Mientkiewicz and benching J.Jones for younger players), and playing like crap for the first three months this year, so Torii let Burke take the brunt of it.

It was a cheap shot. I just don't know if it's suspension material. It is damn close, but I don't think it quite qualifies. I guess it depends on what happens to Burke. If he has to miss a week they'll probably slap Torii's wrist with a 3 game suspension which he can appeal down to 1.

ma-gaga
07-27-2004, 04:16 AM
I see how it is... The kids are always worthless and no-good as long as they're not on the Sox.

And you can't honestly be comparing Joe Mauer to the kind of productivity of a healthy Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez. Come on, Lip, I know the sky is perpetually falling, but that's just downright ridiculous. :kukoo:
jeeze, what are you still doing awake?

doublem23
07-27-2004, 04:19 AM
jeeze, what are you still doing awake?
I don't know, what are you still doing awake? :D:

I can't get to sleep, so I figured another read of the sky is falling thread is what I need to rest my weary eyes. Unfortunately, it just got me more riled up. Man, I'm going to be dead tomorrow.

PorkChopExpress
07-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Hunter has always been a jag bag to the Sox. He's a bastard who takes cheap shots at vulnerable catchers. I want him knocked down tomorrow. I will lose a lot of respect for Ozzie if he isn't knocked down.

This isn't about getting revenge. It's about protecting our team. Jamie Burke could have have a separated shoulder and be missing a considerable amount of time. Hunter went out of his way to knock him down and then celebrated it in the dugout.
I disagree. Yes Hunter is a jagbag, and yes something should be done. But beaning him is not the answer. And it is not Ozzie's job. We need Freddy to pitch his heart out tomorrow, not throw at guys and get baserunners on. The retaliation lies with the rest of the team. We need to beat these guys bad, and we need to be aggressive about it. We need to slide hard into second to knock out the double play, we need to tag up from third and level the catcher ourselves. Tori plays CF, so we go after his teammates, but with legite baseball. See if they're all celebrating in the dugout after they start getting laid out. But you don't sacrifice a game for revenge. Ozzie knows that, and he knows that is exactly what would happen if Freddy were to bean Tori.

samram
07-27-2004, 08:47 AM
A lot of that has to do with the vagaries of the schedule whereby the Twins have played 48 games v. ALC, the Sox have played 30. That's 18 games against mostly inferior competition. Meanwhile the Twins have played 12 v. the ALW, the Sox have played 23. Similar #s for the ALE I believe.

Heck - they only play KC 3 more times, we still have 14. I don't care who else each team plays, that's a huge advantage since there aren't really any teams that are worse than the Royals. (The other terrible team is Seattle and we each play them 3 times.)

We're tied in the loss column and they have a much tougher schedule than we do from here on out. Right now, they're playing better than us, but I think we still have a pretty solid net advantage and chance to win.

You still gotta play & win the games, and the H2H games from here on out will be key. But if we can play them relatively even in those, I really like our chances.
Agreed. I counted up the games against teams at .500 or better for both teams. The Sox had 55, and the Twins, IIRC, had 26. That's a huge disparity in quality of competition- and they have a 1.5 game lead having played three more games. This series, while big and not to be overlooked, is not a make or break series. After this, the Sox have play 14 straight against Detroit, Cleveland, and Cincinatti, while Minnesota plays Boston, Oakland, and Anaheim, gets a quick break at Seattle, and then it's tough competition for the rest of August. There's a good chace the Sox could have a two or three game lead at the end of the month.

Fungo
07-27-2004, 08:56 AM
Lip: You seem to be saying that Mauer and his .939 OPS over 107ABs somehow equate to being as impactful as Frank and his .997 OPS over his career. Mauer's a very good young player, but to say that he's the offensive equal to Maggs or Frank is ludicrous.

I'll say it again: The Twins have had more good players injured, but the Sox have had the 2 best players on either team injured, which is much more impactful.Absolutely right. Quantity? Yes. Quality? Not even close. No other team can compare to having a Frank and Maggs out of the line-up at the same time.

Fungo
07-27-2004, 09:00 AM

LipI agree Lip. The Sox need to play their ballgame and not worry about any retaliation for now. I hope Ozzie is stressing this to his players. Stay focused. If they get too caught up in trying to pick a spot in which to get even, it takes their heads out of the game. Let Torii wonder when it's coming and you've taken him right out of his game. Worry about "getting even" some other time.

kjhanson
07-27-2004, 09:16 AM
I disagree. Yes Hunter is a jagbag, and yes something should be done. But beaning him is not the answer. And it is not Ozzie's job. We need Freddy to pitch his heart out tomorrow, not throw at guys and get baserunners on. The retaliation lies with the rest of the team. We need to beat these guys bad, and we need to be aggressive about it. We need to slide hard into second to knock out the double play, we need to tag up from third and level the catcher ourselves. Tori plays CF, so we go after his teammates, but with legite baseball. See if they're all celebrating in the dugout after they start getting laid out. But you don't sacrifice a game for revenge. Ozzie knows that, and he knows that is exactly what would happen if Freddy were to bean Tori.
Did you even read my post? In the second line it says "This is not about revenge". I said knock him down. I didn't say take him out. I know just as much as the next guy that we need Freddie. But we still need to send a message.

PorkChopExpress
07-27-2004, 09:34 AM
Did you even read my post? In the second line it says "This is not about revenge". I said knock him down. I didn't say take him out. I know just as much as the next guy that we need Freddie. But we still need to send a message.
I did read it, and whether you call it revenge or protecting our team, you wanted to go after Hunter. Knock him down, knock him out, it doesn't matter. Hunter is not the target, the Twins are. Don't do it at the plate is all I was getting at. Play it just like they do and let them know they're players (more than just Hunter) can get hurt too. If there's a DP ball hit, you slide hard into Rivas or whoever's at 2B (Carlos knows what I'm talking about). When there's a play at the plate, you lay out Blanco. You do exactly what the Twins did to us, and you win. Then, at the end of the season when we are going to the playoffs, and they are not, Burke can light a nice big bag of poop and leave it on Hunter's doorstep.