PDA

View Full Version : Does athletic talent = "leadership"?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-29-2001, 03:46 PM
This is directed to anyone who has ever been a member of competitive sports team at the high school or higher level...

Was the best athlete on your team also the off-the-field LEADER?

If you answered "Yes", explain why they were the leader. Specifically, was their leadership through example or was it verbal leadership, too? Was the best athlete also the most verbally-gifted, too? If not, who was the most-gifted verbally? Why weren't they a leader?

If you answered, "No", explain why too. Who was the off-the-field leader, and why. Why wasn't the best athlete the one who led the team off the field, too?

For anyone, what skills does "a leader" pocess? Do leadership skills go beyond athletic ability?

I think Rich has already weighed in on this last question.

voodoochile
09-29-2001, 04:25 PM
Leaving on vacation for the next 2 weeks, so I will only be making this one post for at least the next several days...

I was captain of my soccer team in my senior year in HS. I wasn't even close to being the most talented guy on the squad. I played defense. The two best players athletically were co-captains with me, and they both tended to lead by example. They were foreign students, one from Africa and one from Spain. They were the two leading scorers on the team. The guy from Africa, Eddie, was one tough player. One time we were playing another inner-city teams from a hispanic neighborhood and the game was pretty rough, but there was one guy from their squad who was really being an ass. Eddie tells me, "I'll take care of it." So a few minutes later, Eddie and two of the players from the other team went after a high header. The ass was one of the two players. Eddie splits the two of them and I don't remmeber where the ball went, but the ass fell down holding the family jewels and Eddie kept on playing. True story as I live and breath. I was more of a captain because I was the last line of defense. If you got by me, it was up to the goalie. I like to think the other guys trusted having me back there.

Leadership and athleticism do not go hand in hand, IMO. In sports we tend to admire the gifted athletes who are also born leaders. Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson. It does help when the guy who leads is also a statistical leader on the field. But, is not a requirement. I think it would be rare that a player has mediocre stats and is a leader, but there is no reason why every gifted athlete has to be a born leader. Simas in the bullpen is a perfect example. He didn't have the best stats, but he lead by example and he did his job to the best of his ability on every given night.

Got to run... look forward to seeing what other people say when I check in in a few days...

FarWestChicago
09-29-2001, 04:34 PM
Leaving on vacation for the next 2 weeks You have two weeks vacation already? What a cush job! :)

RKMeibalane
09-29-2001, 08:01 PM
I played basketball in eighth grade, and our two best players were the team co-captains. I definitely thought that one of them was a leader. He was vocal, and he didn't hesitate to say something to anyone who was being lazy. The other guy lead mostly by example. I don't he embraced being a leader because he wasn't sure how deal with the responsibility that accomanies any leadership position.

Having said that, I think both were excellent. Leadership is, in my opinion, defined as setting an example, either through words or actions, that others will follow.

LongDistanceFan
09-29-2001, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
This is directed to anyone who has ever been a member of competitive sports team at the high school or higher level...

If you answered "Yes", explain why they were the leader. Specifically, was their leadership through example or was it verbal leadership, too? Was the best athlete also the most verbally-gifted, too? If not, who was the most-gifted verbally? Why weren't they a leader?

If you answered, "No", explain why too. Who was the off-the-field leader, and why. Why wasn't the best athlete the one who led the team off the field, too?

For anyone, what skills does "a leader" pocess? Do leadership skills go beyond athletic ability?

I think Rich has already weighed in on this last question. i think this suits hs with a winning tradition. When i was in hs school i played ball and baseball, and wrestle and ran some track. I came away with a terrible feeling of lousy hs coaches. The coaches were all afraid of us. We were reallly good in football, but no coaching. Our most talented player didn't care and played for themselves. I started and even though i tried hard even to be a rah rah kind of guy, it felled on deaf ears. Only the track team did we have any team freindship. Baseball, we had many different player who belong to different clubs and they were always fighting..........

When i see a good coach i am for them, when i see a good citizen on the team, i am for them......... i saw lack of leadership from coaches down.

GASHWOUND
09-29-2001, 08:58 PM

I think Rich has already weighed in on this last question.

Hmmm....I did play HS football in my Junior and Senior year, so I will say a few words. HS Football is different that college, and that it different than the Pro's. In HS, you didn't have to many verbal leadership from players. The most gifted athlete lead by example, not by words. Yeah, you'll hear the QB give a speech during Halftime to rile up the troops, but did not really lend a helping hand with words of confidence off the field. Alot of HS kids join the Football team or basketball team for the attention and girls, things lke that. They didn't want to be bothered with "outside distractions" like being a team leader. But a few did join just for the love of the game and did their best to be leaders. Actually, our QB and punter was one of those people.(both the same guy)
He was always a vocal guy in the locker room and getting the guys ready for the battle that laid upon them. He was also a cool guy off the field who if you needed a vote of confidence, he would do his best to enstill you with some.

The best athlete on our team was the running back. He was a quiet SOB but did all his talking with his feet. That made others want to play even harder, to make good impressions on coaches and players, along with all the school kids. The best athlete on your ballclub is not always the most verbally gifted, and the worst athlete on your ballclub is probably there for one reason, his verbal skills in leadership. The reason the most gifted athlete should be your team leader is because he has lead by example and other players would listen to him for that obvious reason. Some players aren't born as gifted athletes and have to use other means of leadership. Verbal leadership.
They give it all out in the field, but they give it all even more as a voice off the field. They do what they have to do. The guys who are the best players on the team should be a vocal leader. Sure, they can lead by example, but leading by example and by giving inspiration to the other players on the TEAM that would let them know you care about them and not your stats. Being the most gifted does not automatically make yo the team leader. Sure, it will give you a head start, but you have to cross the finish line. Some gifted athletes aren't born with the gift of gab and can't help it. Others are born with the gift of gab and aren't blessed with athletic ability. Thas why you'll see alot of OL alot more vocal, they have to be.
To conclude, being the best athlete on the team, you should be the team leader. You will be given more respect and when you have respect, you enstill leadership to others.
Thats why MJ is the best the world has ever seen, he enstilled both qualities. He made a bunch of nobodies into stars. Longley, Kerr, need I say more.
Oh rap, I gots to go!

DISCLAIMER: I typed really fast and Sp errors may have happend. To bad my Sp check doesn't work.
:)

Jerry_Manuel
09-29-2001, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
To bad my Sp check doesn't work.

That's because you are using the board via the ip address. Try using this address and it should work. The link to the message board on the front page will be updated soon.

Message Board (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/index.php?s=)

FarWestChicago
09-29-2001, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

That's because you are using the board via the ip address. Try using this address and it should work. The link to the message board on the front page will be updated soon.

Message Board (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/index.php?s=) You have to have the www in there. I fixed the link.

Jerry_Manuel
09-29-2001, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
You have to have the www in there. I fixed the link.

Thanks West.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-29-2001, 09:08 PM
You have to have the www in there. I fixed the link.

Well I'm glad you mentioned this because Mr. Fixit didn't know about that little detail either. There are over 700 pages that need updating.

I think I'll go lie down now.

Jerry_Manuel
09-29-2001, 09:11 PM
Well I'm glad you mentioned this because Mr. Fixit didn't know about that little detail either. There are over 700 pages that need updating.

I take it you will need some help PHG, just send me an email if you do. I have to update my section to. Thank god I don't have 700 pages!

FarWestChicago
09-29-2001, 09:12 PM

Being a Webmaster is so glamorous. :)

CLR01
09-29-2001, 11:10 PM
Being a Webmaster is so glamorous. :)

Haha, i only have to sweep the parking lot, and i have realized it goes alot faster if i just use a leave blower instead of a broom. :)

Anyway to the point of the of the thread. No, athlectic ability does not equal leadership. On my HS football team the leaders were the RG, and one of the LB's and WR's. None of them were the most athletic. The most athletic guys were the Rb and the QB. Well both were excellent players but neither helped. The QB only opened his mouth to go off on someone for dropping a pass and hardly ever gave encouragement. The running back was very gifted but he was quite. It was hard for him to lead by example as well because people couldn't just learn to do the moves and get the on field awareness that he had. When they tried they wound up looking very stupid. Off the field would be hard to judge, because like LDF everyone hung out in different crowds. We didn't fight or anything but only about 20% of the team actually hung out together. IMO the team leader should be the guy who has the most passion for the game. That will be the guy that doesn't care about his stats, only about how well the team does and his teamates will now it. It will be the guy that can lead by example just because you know he will be giving it everything he has on every play. Winning does come with only athletic ability, it takes effort.

MikeKreevich
09-30-2001, 10:14 AM
:bundy

I once scored four touchdowns in one game for my high school team. I'm still the leader of No Mamm!

LongDistanceFan
09-30-2001, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by CLR01

let me ask anybody this question, is there really any HS that has this leadership person and does it make a difference. I know when they are in college, things change and that is when you see these leaders come to the forefront.

Daver
09-30-2001, 06:56 PM
The leader of my HS baseball team was the second string SS of all people,he never played,cause our first string SS was destined to be drafted(by the Yankees,career ending injury in A ball),my point being leaders can come from anywhere.