PDA

View Full Version : John Olerud

Foulke You
07-26-2004, 02:34 PM
I know people here are down on John Olerud as a possible fill-in for extra offense but this is an inexpensive, low risk move that I believe the Sox should consider. Olerud is a career .295 hitter, .400 OBP, would be another lefty bat, has tons of playoff experience, can DH, play 1B, and could even pinch hit a little.

People have lost faith in him because he is having an off year but is his career TRULY done all of the sudden or was he just a victim of the losing atmosphere in Seattle? The Mariners offense was a total mess and incredibly inept. Being mired in one of the AL's worst producing lineups is not condusive into snapping out of a funk. What if you plugged Olerud into an already good Sox offense? It could possibly revive him if you plugged him in between two right handers like Carlos and Paulie. He suddenly could be seeing a lot more fasballs and combined with a contending atmosphere could return to the old Olerud.

My feeling on the Sox getting Olerud would be "it can't hurt, it could help" similar to the Jose Canseco signing of 2001 that KW did to replace Frank Thomas. I'm assuming that when the Mariners waived Olerud, they had to pay the remainder of his contract so we could get him for peanuts. Another bonus would be that if he works out, you wouldn't have to trade prospects that can be better served towards acquiring more pitching help.

Ok, all you Olerud haters proceed to flame away on my post. :cool:

Baby Fisk
07-26-2004, 02:35 PM
While we're at it, let's pick up Pat Hentgen for bullpen work.

fledgedrallycap
07-26-2004, 02:35 PM
I'm not hating, but please tell me the upgrade from Ross Gload?

IlliniSoxFan
07-26-2004, 02:41 PM
I have no "teal" color in my pulldown menu, but...

Is Jose Canseco available this year, or is he still on house arrest? :redneck

JoseCanseco6969
07-26-2004, 03:02 PM
I know people here are down on John Olerud as a possible fill-in for extra offense but this is an inexpensive, low risk move that I believe the Sox should consider. Olerud is a career .295 hitter, .400 OBP, would be another lefty bat, has tons of playoff experience, can DH, play 1B, and could even pinch hit a little.

People have lost faith in him because he is having an off year but is his career TRULY done all of the sudden or was he just a victim of the losing atmosphere in Seattle? The Mariners offense was a total mess and incredibly inept. Being mired in one of the AL's worst producing lineups is not condusive into snapping out of a funk. What if you plugged Olerud into an already good Sox offense? It could possibly revive him if you plugged him in between two right handers like Carlos and Paulie. He suddenly could be seeing a lot more fasballs and combined with a contending atmosphere could return to the old Olerud.

My feeling on the Sox getting Olerud would be "it can't hurt, it could help" similar to the Jose Canseco signing of 2001 that KW did to replace Frank Thomas. I'm assuming that when the Mariners waived Olerud, they had to pay the remainder of his contract so we could get him for peanuts. Another bonus would be that if he works out, you wouldn't have to trade prospects that can be better served towards acquiring more pitching help.

Ok, all you Olerud haters proceed to flame away on my post. :cool:
I'm with you buddy! I think Olerud IS an improvement over Gload and/or Davis. I dont know why everyone has a problem giving him a shot. If he sucks, cut him plain and simple.

kjhanson
07-26-2004, 03:10 PM
You guys are completely missing the boat on this one. He IS an expensive option.

"John Olerud cleared waivers and was released by Seattle on Friday. Some teams have expressed interest in the veteran, but his $7.7 million salary is way over priced." (cbssportsline.com)

"Olerud cleared waivers because of his $7.7 million salary. There's interest in him, but it's uncertain whether he'll continue his career with another team."
(rotoworld.com)

He's still due over 3 million dollars this year. If he wasn't, he would have easily been nabbed on waivers or picked up by now. I don't know where anyone got the idea that he was an inexpensive option. He's owed more for the last couple months than we're paying Carl all of next year.

gosox41
07-26-2004, 03:12 PM
Olerud had a .360 OBP this season. Not having Ross Gload in RF is always a positive. Olerud provides an experienced bat who has been in pennant races and playoffs. For those who seem to think defense at 1B matters he is better then PK.

Bob

gosox41
07-26-2004, 03:13 PM
You guys are completely missing the boat on this one. He IS an expensive option.

"John Olerud cleared waivers and was released by Seattle on Friday. Some teams have expressed interest in the veteran, but his $7.7 million salary is way over priced." (cbssportsline.com)

"Olerud cleared waivers because of his $7.7 million salary. There's interest in him, but it's uncertain whether he'll continue his career with another team."
(rotoworld.com)

He's still due over 3 million dollars this year. If he wasn't, he would have easily been nabbed on waivers or picked up by now. I don't know where anyone got the idea that he was an inexpensive option. He's owed more for the last couple months than we're paying Carl all of next year.
If I'm not mistake once he clears waivers any team can sign him and pay him the mimimum. The Mariners are on the hook for the rest.

Bob

Foulke You
07-26-2004, 03:17 PM
Check out Olerud's career numbers:
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=119976

Now check out Olerud's Post Season numbers (55 games experience):
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_player_postseason.jsp?playerID=1199 76&statType=1

If you look at his career numbers, you will see that Olerud's numbers so far this year are an anomaly on an otherwise great MLB career. A career that Ross Gload has a lot of catching up to do if he wants to come close to putting up those numbers. Has Father Time finally caught up with Olerud? Perhaps. Or, he could merely in a half season long slump a la 2003 Paul Konerko or as a result of an inept Mariners team and could snap out of it with the old "change of scenery/attitude" technique.

My point isn't that Olerud is God and guarantees a championship but that it's a LOW RISK proposition to bring him in to get a left handed bat with an All Star and Post-Season Pedigree. If he doesn't work out, you release him or send him down. If it does work out, you've just added another veteran professional hitter like Everett to the lineup who also brings playoff experience and you didn't have to give up prospects or have to give up a lot of money to get him. People like Baby Fisk seem to have written off his career after a mediocre half season on a crappy M's team. I've seen good players recover from far worse seasons. Give him a shot. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

MisterB
07-26-2004, 03:18 PM

(rotoworld.com)

Once he cleared waivers and was released, any team that wants to sign him is only required to pay him league minimum. Seattle is paying the rest of his contract. CBS Sportsline has it wrong.

Foulke You
07-26-2004, 03:20 PM
If I'm not mistake once he clears waivers any team can sign him and pay him the mimimum. The Mariners are on the hook for the rest.

Bob
That was my understading of the situation. Once the M's released him, they are on the hook for his remaining salary. This is how the Sun-Times described Olerud getting released.

fledgedrallycap
07-26-2004, 03:24 PM
Check out Olerud's career numbers:
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=119976

Now check out Olerud's Post Season numbers (55 games experience):
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_player_postseason.jsp?playerID=1199 76&statType=1

If you look at his career numbers, you will see that Olerud's numbers so far this year are an anomaly on an otherwise great MLB career. A career that Ross Gload has a lot of catching up to do if he wants to come close to putting up those numbers. Has Father Time finally caught up with Olerud? Perhaps. Or, he could merely in a half season long slump a la 2003 Paul Konerko or as a result of an inept Mariners team and could snap out of it with the old "change of scenery/attitude" technique.

My point isn't that Olerud is God and guarantees a championship but that it's a LOW RISK proposition to bring him in to get a left handed bat with an All Star and Post-Season Pedigree. If he doesn't work out, you release him or send him down. If it does work out, you've just added another veteran professional hitter like Everett to the lineup who also brings playoff experience and you didn't have to give up prospects or have to give up a lot of money to get him. People like Baby Fisk seem to have written off his career after a mediocre half season on a crappy M's team. I've seen good players recover from far worse seasons. Give him a shot. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
A great career, yes. However, it seems he may of hit the preverbial "age" wall where guys reach their late 30's early 40's and fall apart. This year there is no difference between Ross Gload and John Olerude. I'm sorry, but Ross Gload is hitting over .300 in pinch hit appearances, he can back up Konerko or play an average RF.

I don't care about his defense, you would never pull PK because Olerude is better defensively. PK can hold his own and his offensive numbers cannot be replaced in our line-up.

We don't need him.

kjhanson
07-26-2004, 03:26 PM
Once he cleared waivers and was released, any team that wants to sign him is only required to pay him league minimum. Seattle is paying the rest of his contract. CBS Sportsline has it wrong.
Well then, in that case, I'm mistaken and I apologize.

However, we're still overpaying for him if we pay him the league minimum. And that's not to say that we're not overpaying for Ross Gload as well. Ross' swing is one of the worst in baseballs, and he has absolutely no clue on defense. He also runs the bases as if he were playing right-field (see yesterday). Nonetheless, Olerud is the better option because he gives us a veteran presence and has won two World Series titles.

Mohoney
07-26-2004, 04:41 PM

Well, for starters, Ross Gload's days as an OF better be over. He's an absolute butcher out there. Therefore, Gload's only other option is to be a backup 1st baseman, same as Olerud would be.

Both bat lefty, so the question would be, what about Olerud scares you off? The Gold Gloves, the batting titles, or the World Series rings?

Now that Maggs is gone, Everett will have to play some RF, unless we want to give Borchard a serious audition, which Ozzie might not want to do in the middle of a pennant push. Therefore, Olerud is a smart pickup. He can play some 1st, allowing Paulie to get some breathers at DH. Olerud can add another lefty stick at DH to break up some of the monotony in our lineup. His defense is still top-notch.

Remember, we only have 3 off days the rest of the season! If Olerud can provide Paulie a breather once in a while and add a legitimate lefthanded bat to the bench, I'm all for it.

HITMEN OF 77
07-26-2004, 06:27 PM
Olerud is a career .295 hitter, .400 OBP, would be another lefty bat, has tons of playoff experience, can DH, play 1B, and could even pinch hit a little. :cool:
Too bad Oleruds career is pretty much over, it would be a waste of league min for that guy.