PDA

View Full Version : Another obnoxious Attendance Thread...

bennyw41
07-26-2004, 12:40 PM
I am sorry for another attendance thread, but the other day they announced a sell out at 38,500. How is this possible? The broadcasters are really hyping up the attendance stuff...I think its a Brooks technique...and I like it.

DaveIsHere
07-26-2004, 12:41 PM
all tickets were sold, that number is how many came through the gates

JRIG
07-26-2004, 12:42 PM
all tickets were sold, that number is how many came through the gates
I don't think that's the case. AL reports tickets sold, not butts in the seats.

I think the discrepency comes from any freebie tickets that may have been given away rather than sold.

bennyw41
07-26-2004, 12:43 PM
all tickets were sold, that number is how many came through the gatesI believe they said paid attendance of 38,500. Thats fuzzy math.

DaveIsHere
07-26-2004, 12:44 PM
oh ok ok, who really cares, we have butts in the seats and now we have to go over details, lets just get a whitesox winne for the big crowd like Saturday night.

Evman5
07-26-2004, 12:46 PM
What happened yesterday, Only 26,000? :(:

I thought after the victory the night before and a first place team we might have gotten closer to 30,000.

Rocky Soprano
07-26-2004, 12:47 PM
I don't think that's the case. AL reports tickets sold, not butts in the seats.

I think the discrepency comes from any freebie tickets that may have been given away rather than sold.
You are exactly right. 38,500 would be the paid attendance. So they dont count the freebie tickets. So 38,500 + freebies = sell out.

bobj4400
07-26-2004, 01:07 PM
What happened yesterday, Only 26,000? :(:

I thought after the victory the night before and a first place team we might have gotten closer to 30,000.
I was there, but forgot it was a kid's day. NEVER AGAIN. I am at the age where children drive me nuts. Especially the group sitting right behind me that just kept screaming. Not crying or whining. Just screaming at the top of their lungs about everything and anything. My hangover did not enjoy that too much!! Anyway, I too was surprised that it wasnt more crowded. I did hear that the entire lower bowl was sold out. I thought when the lower bowl was filled, that meant close to 30k??

joeynach
07-26-2004, 01:44 PM
I am sorry for another attendance thread, but the other day they announced a sell out at 38,500. How is this possible? The broadcasters are really hyping up the attendance stuff...I think its a Brooks technique...and I like it.
Its paid attendance. The sox give away a lot of tickets or use them in house. So if 38,500 paid, then about 4000 were given away to their charities or used in house by employees or given away for promotions.

ewokpelts
07-26-2004, 02:01 PM
Its paid attendance. The sox give away a lot of tickets or use them in house. So if 38,500 paid, then about 4000 were given away to their charities or used in house by employees or given away for promotions.Comp tickets DO NOT COUNT towards attendance totals. If you pay just one red cent, it counts. Attendance is based off paid tickets that were scanned through ther bar code readers.
Gene

CellBlockInmate
07-26-2004, 02:02 PM
I just returned from Montreal, where i saw a game. Oh my God. They claimed 7,000 but it flet more like 3 or 4. We were all very depressed after seeing what was in essence the death rattle of a major league team. I felt like i paid $15 to attend a funeral. So when people get down on the Sox attendance just look to the great white north to see how bad life can really be. Im sure KW is laughing that he got his revenge on Rauch by sending him up there.

hold2dibber
07-26-2004, 02:45 PM
I was there, but forgot it was a kid's day. NEVER AGAIN. I am at the age where children drive me nuts. Especially the group sitting right behind me that just kept screaming. Not crying or whining. Just screaming at the top of their lungs about everything and anything. My hangover did not enjoy that too much!! Anyway, I too was surprised that it wasnt more crowded. I did hear that the entire lower bowl was sold out. I thought when the lower bowl was filled, that meant close to 30k??
It wasn't kids day yesterday.

bobj4400
07-26-2004, 02:54 PM
It wasn't kids day yesterday.
I thought all Sunday's were kids days? It sure seemed like it was...I have never been to a game with more little kids running around. Maybe b/c it was a day game and I usually go to night games?

GoSox2K3
07-26-2004, 04:03 PM
You guys are living a fantasy if you think the recent attendance upswing is a good thing. The Sox are still in serious trouble revenue-wise. How dare you look on the bright side. You're a bunch of ass clown Cub fans for being so positive. Remember, the glass is always half-empty!!!!

Sorry for being so sarcastic, but I figured I'd say it in teal (where it belongs) before other Sox fans on this site say it in regular text.

Seriously though, my understanding of a "sellout" is that the Sox had to turn away at least some additional paying customers because there were no more seats available. Am I right? I'm sure that was the case for at least the sellouts against the Cubs. If that's so, then I wouldn't call it fuzzy math or accuse the Sox of some sort of PR trickery unless they are calling it a sellout but still had seats available.

If the best they can do is about 39k before they start turning away customers, then I wouldn't be surprised if they go ahead with adding a "HR porch" next year to add seating capacity.

Mickster
07-26-2004, 04:08 PM
People on this board always seem to get their panties in a bunch when someone in the medis brings up attendance. Now it seems that all of the polls on this board deals with attendance..... :?:

hold2dibber
07-26-2004, 05:13 PM
I thought all Sunday's were kids days? It sure seemed like it was...I have never been to a game with more little kids running around. Maybe b/c it was a day game and I usually go to night games?
Nope, just a few selected Sundays during the year. But I definitely think you're right - there generally are more kids (particularly little kids - i.e., grammar school or younger) on Sundays (including mine).