PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking the intro to make it perfect

BainesHOF
07-26-2004, 01:25 PM
I think the new intro is great, and I think it does a couple things. The obvious thing is it has really helped get the crowd jacked and into the game right away. I think it's also acted as an incentive for some people to make sure they arrive for the start of the game.

However, I think the intro needs to be tweaked in two ways:

- I think there needs to be ONE video showing our past greats. We had the old one which was pretty cool, then another new one was made of "lesser" players from the '60s on, and is played before the old one. It's a bit awkward.

To make the roll call of past players more effective and easier to follow which would make the whole presentation more effective, a new video should be made. I envision it starting with a (perhaps lingering) picture of Charles Comiskey, then show the likes of our old Hall of Famers and guys like Shoeless Joe, and work our way up chronologically, building momentum along the way as the crowd's recognition of the more recent players increases. As it is now, it's a bit of a hodgepodge. Tighten it up and make it perfect. (And make the pictures of the players nice and big and easy to see. Junk most of the special effects that dilutes the presentation of the old video where the players pics are about half the size as they could be.)

- Find a different song that caps the intro when the players take the field. The one used currently is at least 15 years old and is sort of a stale cliche, having been played at NBA arenas around the country. It's as out of date as The Wave.

Might I suggest the White Stripes' "Seven Nation Army," a snippet of which is already played multiple times at each game. That's just a suggestion. But a new song is needed so we can make it our own. We're taking Sox Pride here. Let's make the opening song unique, and make sure it is a fresh song from the present.

Consider this two more free tips from BainesHOF to Brooks Boyer, who's doing a great job.

WSox8404
07-26-2004, 01:31 PM
All we have to do is leave a picture of Shingo on the jumbotron the whole game while playing the gong sound every few minutes. The crowd would go nuts for the entire game.

FightingBillini
07-26-2004, 01:38 PM
Are you mental? First of all, Thunderstruck is an arse kicking song. It isnt cliche, Back in Black is. Thunderstruck is several years old, but it hasnt been played to death like so many other songs. It is fast paced and pounding, it really gets the fans pumped for the game.

As for Seven Nation Army by the Undisputable Worst Band of All Time, that song is cliche. To quote Guiliani from SNL "They sucks hard, they sucks fast, and they suck with a commitment." Besides that song and band being horrible, that song wouldnt get people pumped up. Maybe we could play some Goo Goo Dolls for the intro. Same thing, only with talent.

BainesHOF
07-26-2004, 01:40 PM
Are you mental? First of all, Thunderstruck is an arse kicking song.
I'm not talking about that song. I'm talking about the lame '80s dance song that is played after the players take the field.

Soxzilla
07-26-2004, 01:46 PM
They should play dynamite.

"I'm T-N-T... DYNO-MITE!"

That would get me pumped.

the_valenstache
07-26-2004, 01:46 PM
Are you mental? First of all, Thunderstruck is an arse kicking song. It isnt cliche, Back in Black is. Thunderstruck is several years old, but it hasnt been played to death like so many other songs. It is fast paced and pounding, it really gets the fans pumped for the game.

As for Seven Nation Army by the Undiputable Worst Band of All Time, that song is cliche. To quote Guiliani from SNL "They sucks hard, they sucks fast, and they suck with a commitment." Besides that song and band being horrible, that song wouldnt get people pumped up. Maybe we could play some Goo Goo Dolls for the intro. Same thing, only with talent.

Geez. Did Meg White dump you or just pee in your cereal?

Tekijawa
07-26-2004, 01:53 PM
I think they should run out on the field to the theme from good times! The first home tun hit should have to be run starting towards third in honor of the great Jimmy Pearsol, and the Alex Sanelias Family should donate $100 Dollars in red ropes to an entire randomly selected section. Then after each win Ozzie would stand on top of the Dugout with a cardboard Cutout of Reiney and remove one section of clothing and then say,"we're contenders now!" We will also need to teach Carl how to do a little shake for the ladies before each at bat.

ozzman
07-26-2004, 01:54 PM
I met Tom Selleck Friday night, and sad to say, his moustache is gone. The Jose similarities are over

HomeFish
07-26-2004, 01:59 PM
For the new introductions, we have all of the players running onto the field as they are announced, except for one, the DH. (Unless my nearsighted eyes miss him, I've never seen Frank, Carl, or Gload come out).

The DH should come out of the dugout and into the on-deck circle, and perhaps tip his cap to make up for the small run that is.

sendimjoey
07-26-2004, 02:06 PM
I'm all for dumping "Ya'll ready for this" or whatever that song is that follows "Thunderstruck." You're exactly right, BainesHOF, it's horribly cliched.

Even though I like the White Stripes, I think the Hives would be even better. "Hate to Say I Told You So" (AM-1000 uses snippets of this song in the pre- and post-game programs, I think) or "Main Offender" would be great complements to "Thunderstruck."

StrTrkker
07-26-2004, 05:20 PM
I think the songs they have now for the intros are great. And what would be a nice addition for the Sox players is the fans bring actual white socks and whirling them when the team is introduced.

A field of white socks when the Sox score and when the opposing pitcher is in a sticky situation may be an added edge that the Sox needs.

ClaudelSleptHere
07-26-2004, 05:49 PM
Battle Flag....Lo-Fidelity All-Stars case closed!!

mdep524
07-26-2004, 05:54 PM
Battle Flag....Lo-Fidelity All-Stars case closed!!
Haha. I love that song too, but there are WAY too many swears to play that one on the PA, LOL.

Besides, I think things are great they way they are- except I've also often thought the DH should step out of the dugout when he's announced.

the_valenstache
07-26-2004, 05:54 PM
I met Tom Selleck Friday night, and sad to say, his moustache is gone. The Jose similarities are over
:o:
Thanks for the heartbreaking news. The moustache community has been shaken from its foundation up.

OzzieBall2004
07-26-2004, 06:09 PM

As for Seven Nation Army by the Undiputable Worst Band of All Time, that song is cliche. To quote Guiliani from SNL "They sucks hard, they sucks fast, and they suck with a commitment." Besides that song and band being horrible, that song wouldnt get people pumped up. Maybe we could play some Goo Goo Dolls for the intro. Same thing, only with talent.

The White Stripes rock. 7 nation army is also "fast paced and pounding". And them being the "undiputable" worst band of all time is in fact very "diputable". While I agree that Grammys and record sales don't make a band great or imply talent (just look at all the candy arse crap that comes out every week and sells a million plus), The White Stripes have a classic sound and there aren't many musicians playing right now that come anywhere near his talent level.

However, I agree that Thunderstruck fits perfect where it's played.

DrummerGeorgefan
07-26-2004, 06:34 PM
I think the songs they have now for the intros are great. And what would be a nice addition for the Sox players is the fans bring actual white socks and whirling them when the team is introduced.

A field of white socks when the Sox score and when the opposing pitcher is in a sticky situation may be an added edge that the Sox needs.
They should definitely get a promo with hanes or some other sock company to hand out free socks to wave. Kind of like our version of the terrible towels. IIRC, in the 93 playoffs people were waving socks. Either they were given out, or people had taken them off. I'm leaning towards the former.

Soxzilla
07-26-2004, 06:38 PM

Like a colorado avalanche "White out." That would be pretty cool.

As for what song they should play after thunderstruck. Back in 2000 they played Republica, and hell, we won the division....coincidence?:rolleyes:

mdep524
07-26-2004, 06:42 PM
Here's an idea: Why don't they play "Woke Up This Morning" by A3 (the Sopranos theme song), and on the scoreboard show Ozzie driving to the ballpark through the streets of Bridgeport, with a cigar in his mouth. :D: :tongue:

Ozzie
07-26-2004, 06:51 PM
Here's an idea: Why don't they play "Woke Up This Morning" by A3 (the Sopranos theme song), and on the scoreboard show Ozzie driving to the ballpark through the streets of Bridgeport, with a cigar in his mouth. :D: :tongue:
haha I can picture it, but... they wouldn't do it b ecause the next line is "got myself a GUN"
:?:

mdep524
07-26-2004, 07:46 PM
haha I can picture it, but... they wouldn't do it b ecause the next line is "got myself a GUN"
:?:
But maybe "gun" could mean Freddy Garcia.... like KW traded for some "big guns." :D:

C-Dawg
07-26-2004, 09:01 PM
I love the introductory video. I'm such a geek I might borrow a video camera and record it.

I've noticed they change it around sometimes. Dan Pasqua, Rock Raines, Joey Cora, and DJ are all on there now; I don't remember them earlier in the season. I think next year when they play the Cubs they ought to maybe have a pic of Ron Santo on there too....

house215
07-26-2004, 09:17 PM
I love the introductory video. I'm such a geek I might borrow a video camera and record it.

I've noticed they change it around sometimes. Dan Pasqua, Rock Raines, Joey Cora, and DJ are all on there now; I don't remember them earlier in the season. I think next year when they play the Cubs they ought to maybe have a pic of Ron Santo on there too....And Steve Stone too...:rolleyes:

G-Ville Sox
07-26-2004, 10:50 PM
Speaking of songs in the intro, does anyone know the name of the song that is played during the former player montage?

It is a battle song, I think i remember something of that nature in Braveheart of Gladiator, but i havent been able to find it. That is a song i could listen to before taking a final exam and get pumped up.

:gulp:

BainesHOF
07-26-2004, 11:41 PM
Very good. I like it.

he_gone_89
07-27-2004, 12:49 AM
I say we take a page from the winning hockey team in chicago

turn off the lights,get some fire diamond things,and play "kickstart my heart"

by motley crue

doublem23
07-27-2004, 01:05 AM
They definitely should play Tom Petty's "Runnin' Down a Dream." They played that song in 2000 and it worked. :smile:

But I want them to crank the volume on Thunderstruck. I want the sound waves from the Cell to make ripples in Lake Michigan, cause turbulence for planes landing at Midway, and knock down the ruins at Wrigley. Blast that ****.