PDA

View Full Version : Freddy Garcia Segment on ESPN

Cellview22
07-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Did anyone see that special on ESPN about Freddy Garcia and the problems he's had with his hearing and balance? It was a great segment, maybe 10 minutes, I wish I would've taped it.

Unfortunately in Chicago, the media hasn't really covered it. I never saw anything about it on tv, maybe just a few articles in the papers. I knew about the operation he had to repair two ruptured eardrums, but I hadn't heard the whole story. The segment was great; it had sad music in the background, and they really made it into an emotional story. They showed the Seattle crowd booing him as he left the mound and they had some of his teammates shed some light on what Freddy had been going through. It started with him listening to his mp3 player too loud and too often. One day he noticed blood coming from his ears, and his ears were actually bleeding. He said his ears were painful and he was constantly hearing a static sound in his ears.

To make the long story short, his hearing got progressively worse, and with that his balance was way off, on and off the mound. He eventually had surgery to repair 2 ruptured eardrums and is now recovering. His balance is back, and he's back to throwing pitches like he used to.

Before seeing this, I had no idea it was due to an mp3 player. I just bought one, and now I'm a little bit hesitant to put them on every day. :o:

SoxxoS
07-26-2004, 11:12 AM
There was already a post about this.

Mickster
07-26-2004, 11:14 AM
Here is the LINK (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=456521#post456521) on the previous thread.

Cellview22
07-26-2004, 11:18 AM
Thanks Mickster. I don't know how I missed that thread. I read this board almost every day, except Saturday I was out all day. Should've checked. :redface:

Iwritecode
07-26-2004, 11:41 AM
Before seeing this, I had no idea it was due to an mp3 player. I just bought one, and now I'm a little bit hesitant to put them on every day. :o:

As long as you don't crank the volume up to MAX I think you'll be ok. I listen to music through headphones all the time at a reasonable volume and have never had any problems.

I've never understood the people that think they have to turn them up loud enough so that somebody sitting across the room can hear them as well.

That also goes for all the morons that do the same thing with car stereos...

SoxxoS
07-26-2004, 11:52 AM
As long as you don't crank the volume up to MAX I think you'll be ok. I listen to music through headphones all the time at a reasonable volume and have never had any problems.

I've never understood the people that think they have to turn them up loud enough so that somebody sitting across the room can hear them as well.

That also goes for all the morons that do the same thing with car stereos...
Or the bass that shakes houses as you drive by.

Yeah man, that's cool. You are a regular Johnny Badass with that stereo.

Soxzilla
07-26-2004, 11:55 AM
The only time I roll my windows down when I'm listening to music in my car is when I have 311 on.

I have to show the masses what good music is. Enough of this rap - eminem - punk crap music that people listen too.

:tongue:

Anyways, freddy is the man.

LongLiveFisk
07-26-2004, 12:22 PM
Or the bass that shakes houses as you drive by.
That annoys the crap out of me. People who do that should be horse-whipped a thousand times over!! :angry:

OzzieBall2004
07-26-2004, 04:04 PM
The only time I roll my windows down when I'm listening to music in my car is when I have 311 on.

I have to show the masses what good music is. Enough of this rap - eminem - punk crap music that people listen too.

:tongue:

Anyways, freddy is the man.

Ugh...311 is rap punk crap music. I'll be sure to roll my windows right up.

SoxOnTop
07-26-2004, 04:13 PM
Ugh...311 is rap punk crap music. I'll be sure to roll my windows right up.
They're playing with the Roots here in Tampa on Sunday. Don't know much about them, but if they're playin' with the Roots I'll give them a chance...:cool:

Dadawg_77
07-26-2004, 04:41 PM
Well first off, from what I have read it wasn't caused by headphones but by a sneeze while flying with a cold. Also I highly doubt it had much too do with his pitching for several reasons. The surgical procedure to fix has very little risk, only 15 day stint on the DL. So if this was a major problem in medical staffs minds why didn't surgery happen sooner? If the difference between medicore pitcher and ace is 15 days on the DL, what team wouldn't do that? It just doesn't make sense for this to have caused major problems in the past. Also both the Mariners and Garcia have said this wasn't the problem in the past.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1715674

See bottom notes
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2004/02/29/cubs_sign_1b_lee_to_a_three_year_225m_contract/

OzzieBall2004
07-26-2004, 04:45 PM
They're playing with the Roots here in Tampa on Sunday. Don't know much about them, but if they're playin' with the Roots I'll give them a chance...:cool:

The Roots are amazing. I'd see them play with Liberace and Yanni if I had to. Ive seen them twice. There new album is phenomenal. Have you ever heard the JayZ unplugged where the Roots play the music?

Soxzilla
07-26-2004, 05:49 PM
Yeah we saw the show here in chicago.

It was good stuff.

And 311 is nowhere NEAR punk. Not by a long shot. If I had to genre-ize their music, it would be a rock-blues-rap mix. And of course, we all know a band with 11 albums including a greatest hits does indeed suck....:rolleyes: