PDA

View Full Version : Twins Holes? Sox Holes?

joeynach
07-26-2004, 10:27 AM
The trade deadline is getting very close and two teams fighting for 1st are going head to head. I think both are going to find out this series what they have to do before Saturday to bolster thier club. That being said how do these two teams stack up in terms of holes. Here is what i think both teams will try and exploit.

Minny: Lack of big Thunder in Lineup (sox will not pitch around anyone)
Have about 3 decent starters (sox face those 3)
Doug M in Twins doghouse (twins pride in team chemisty, exploit this)
Twins love smallball (be ready to throw the 2nd on sacrifice bunts, etc)

Sox: Have about 3 decent starters as well (Twins face those 3)
Missing 2 best hitters (twins will pitch around 3,4,5 and go after others)
Crappy long relief (twins work count, get starter out cotts/jackson in)
No catcher (twins run on us and expect catcher as easy out)

Other notes: The last time we faced the scrappy twins, they were anything but. They didn't execute well at all. Good pitching will shut them down, that is what we need this series the most. Dont expect Radke to be as bad as he was last time, that was his 1 for the year. Do expect Sanatana to be that good. Last time he lights out excpet for 1 pitch, he has been this way all seaon. We usually take care of silva pretty good.

3Peater
07-26-2004, 10:37 AM
The trade deadline is getting very close and two teams fighting for 1st are going head to head. I think both are going to find out this series what they have to do before Saturday to bolster thier club. That being said how do these two teams stack up in terms of holes. Here is what i think both teams will try and exploit.

Minny: Lack of big Thunder in Lineup (sox will not pitch around anyone)
Have about 3 decent starters (sox face those 3)
Doug M in Twins doghouse (twins pride in team chemisty, exploit this)
Twins love smallball (be ready to throw the 2nd on sacrifice bunts, etc)

Sox: Have about 3 decent starters as well (Twins face those 3)
Missing 2 best hitters (twins will pitch around 3,4,5 and go after others)
Crappy long relief (twins work count, get starter out cotts/jackson in)
No catcher (twins run on us and expect catcher as easy out)

Right now MN has no catcher hitting well either, and Blanco is decent defensively. IF the Twins get some guys on base, they'll run a little. Doubtful much vs Buehrle, though. 20 more steals(70 vs 50) than Chicago.

Morneau is the big thunder in the lineup. MN has had the bats wake up some, but still tend to sleep early. Sunday's output, with 6 runs in the first 2 innings, was unusual.

Mientkiewicz isn't really in the dog house, he's just likely to be traded. MN has a logjam of DH/OF/1B guys and the Mpls paper has sources that apparently told Mientkiewicz he was going to be dealt. Odds are Pittsburgh in a Kris Benson deal, or Boston, at this point.

Small ball/Twins is grossly overrated, a product of ESPN and such. The White Sox have 13 more sac bunts than the Twins this year. Minnesota doesn't hit and run as much as they should, having 23 more DP's recorded against them than the Sox.

The keys to this series for the Twins are scratching out a few runs, and keeping the ball in the park.

joeynach
07-26-2004, 11:59 AM
Right now MN has no catcher hitting well either, and Blanco is decent defensively. IF the Twins get some guys on base, they'll run a little. Doubtful much vs Buehrle, though. 20 more steals(70 vs 50) than Chicago.

Morneau is the big thunder in the lineup. MN has had the bats wake up some, but still tend to sleep early. Sunday's output, with 6 runs in the first 2 innings, was unusual.

Mientkiewicz isn't really in the dog house, he's just likely to be traded. MN has a logjam of DH/OF/1B guys and the Mpls paper has sources that apparently told Mientkiewicz he was going to be dealt. Odds are Pittsburgh in a Kris Benson deal, or Boston, at this point.

Small ball/Twins is grossly overrated, a product of ESPN and such. The White Sox have 13 more sac bunts than the Twins this year. Minnesota doesn't hit and run as much as they should, having 23 more DP's recorded against them than the Sox.

The keys to this series for the Twins are scratching out a few runs, and keeping the ball in the park.
My point on Doug M is the twins pride themsleves in this great team chemistry. That they always play for the team with sacrafices, situational hitting, and singles. They pick each other up and act as 1 group instrad of an invidividual player. Now take away a couple players who have been right in the middle of that for the past few years and what to you get. I dont know but if Restovich and Doug M go i would love to see a wound in the twins shield of chemisty come open.

3Peater
07-26-2004, 12:02 PM
My point on Doug M is the twins pride themsleves in this great team chemistry. That they always play for the team with sacrafices, situational hitting, and singles. They pick each other up and act as 1 group instrad of an invidividual player. Now take away a couple players who have been right in the middle of that for the past few years and what to you get. I dont know but if Restovich and Doug M go i would love to see a wound in the twins shield of chemisty come open.
They boo-hooed a lot with the loss of David Ortiz in the off-season last year, and it took a good chunk of the season to grow up and get over it.

Restovich won't be such a loss chemistry-wise. He's been yo-yo'd from Rochester too much to make a team impact. Mientkiewicz would be a different story. Hunter is already saying how he "hates" the system.

Again, the sacrifices are overrated. Twins are more of a scratch a run out with a ground out team than sac bunting guys over. If Gardenhire DID bunt more, they'd have scored more runs when the offense was in a deep slump.