PDA

View Full Version : Garland in the dog house?

fledgedrallycap
07-26-2004, 08:04 AM
While driving to work this morning, I heard a report about a possible riff between Garland and Guillen. I guess after yesterday's game, Ozzie told Jon he had better stop nibbling the corners and start attacking hitters. Supposedly, Garland stated "That's just the way I pitch".

Not good. Ozzie will not allow that type of attitude to exist in this clubhouse; so Garland better get with the program or he may be out the door.

DaveIsHere
07-26-2004, 08:06 AM
When Garland went back out after Aaron got hit the ump told him that if he threw inside intentionally he would get tossed out, so they took half the plate away from him.

fledgedrallycap
07-26-2004, 08:10 AM
When Garland went back out after Aaron got hit the ump told him that if he threw inside intentionally he would get tossed out, so they took half the plate away from him.
I don't believe Ozzie made those comments with yesterday's game as his only sample. Jon doesn't go after hitters enough, how many times has he had a guy 0-2, 1-2 and then let the count work back up to even or full; then lay a cookie?

It is extremely frustrating to watch that man pitch sometimes.

jabrch
07-26-2004, 08:17 AM
While driving to work this morning, I heard a report about a possible riff between Garland and Guillen. I guess after yesterday's game, Ozzie told Jon he had better stop nibbling the corners and start attacking hitters. Supposedly, Garland stated "That's just the way I pitch".

Not good. Ozzie will not allow that type of attitude to exist in this clubhouse; so Garland better get with the program or he may be out the door.

Send Garland back to the Cubs for Clement and Todd Walker?

ndgt10
07-26-2004, 08:25 AM
I can't comment on the Guillen and Garland feud rumor, but one thing that is for sure is that Garland is in my doghouse.

DaveIsHere
07-26-2004, 08:28 AM
I don't believe Ozzie made those comments with yesterday's game as his only sample. Jon doesn't go after hitters enough, how many times has he had a guy 0-2, 1-2 and then let the count work back up to even or full; then lay a cookie?

It is extremely frustrating to watch that man pitch sometimes.
That is true, but the real man is the dog house is someone by the name of MIKE JACKSON, why the hell do they still have him on the team for God's sake:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Fungo
07-26-2004, 08:29 AM
The $75,000 bet that was made between Buehrle and Garland was a no-brainer for Buehrle. If he throws a no-hitter he gets the cash and on the other hand he basically never has to worry about paying it to Garland.

Sox Mobile
07-26-2004, 09:09 AM
I dont know anything about the alleged spat between Ozzie and Garland. But has anyone else noticed Ozzie seems to have his favorites?

He has been on Loaiza's case since spring training, and has flat out embarrassed him on the mound a couple times. Loaiza appears to be miserable all the time, the last time he pitched his approach was slow and awkward. He seems uncomfortable in his own skin right now.

I think we have seen what good things Ozzies "pros" can bring, but also think the "cons" to Ozzies style have yet to come to the surface.

I like having a former Sox player at the helm, I like Ozzie. But is there anyone on his staff or in the organization that would recognize if Ozzie was out of hand, or jerk his chain of it needed to be?

I'm not looking for fire, just noticing there might be a little something smoldering.

any thoughts on this?

wdelaney72
07-26-2004, 09:54 AM
I dont know anything about the alleged spat between Ozzie and Garland. But has anyone else noticed Ozzie seems to have his favorites?

He has been on Loaiza's case since spring training, and has flat out embarrassed him on the mound a couple times. Loaiza appears to be miserable all the time, the last time he pitched his approach was slow and awkward. He seems uncomfortable in his own skin right now.

Every manager has their favorites. Loaiza won 21 games last year and is supposed to be one of the leaders on this team. This year, he's pitching like Jon Garland.

If Loaiza is miserable, maybe he could try pitching a good game. That might be one way to get on Ozzie's good side.

Dice
07-26-2004, 10:00 AM

I think we have seen what good things Ozzies "pros" can bring, but also think the "cons" to Ozzies style have yet to come to the surface.

I like having a former Sox player at the helm, I like Ozzie. But is there anyone on his staff or in the organization that would recognize if Ozzie was out of hand, or jerk his chain of it needed to be?

I'm not looking for fire, just noticing there might be a little something smoldering.

any thoughts on this?Ozzie gets on certain players because they are not performing up to expectations. If Loaiza wasn't giving up 'beach balls' he wouldn't be on his ass. Same for Garland, if he would stop being a punk nibbling the corners and just go after hitters then he wouldn't be on him.

Ozzie has been fair with the players all year. When Joe Crede was stinking up the joint he benched him. When Urbie was hitting the cover off the ball early in the year he put him in the line up.

Now I can see if Ozzie was coddling players who weren't performing up to snuff OR him getting on players who are producing. Then I would say he was playing favorites BUT I haven't seen that from him this year.

ChiSoxBobette
07-26-2004, 10:01 AM

I've said it before & I'll say it again Jon Garland = Cement Head. We should package him & a couple of prospects ,Diaz & Borchard, for Randy Johnson.
Jon Garland will never be anything more than a 5th starter if that he has no guts.

gosox41
07-26-2004, 10:03 AM

I don't think there's a riff between the two. I think Ozzie is trying to motivate him. Like Fisk said last week (and others including me have been saying here for the last few years) Garland has the potential to be an ace. With is stuff he should be an 18-20 game winner every year. The fact that he isn't is frustrating.

Yesterday he had a bad game. It happens. But overall he should be doing better.

Bob