PDA

View Full Version : Nathan: Twins making a move

bigdommer
07-26-2004, 07:54 AM
For what it's worth, I ran into Joe Nathan on Saturday night at a bar in Baltimore. He was there with Sidney "Larger than life" Ponson having a few beers after their teams played each other. I asked him about the Twinkies, and he said they are getting ready to make a move. I prodded, but he wouldn't tell me who. So, either he is bluffing, didn't know, or wanted to honor the front office's request for silence.

Anyway, after all of this, I told him that I was a Sox fan, and that the Twins were going to be sitting on the couch in October anyway. He laughed, and then I told him that the Twins were a bunch of losers, and then he got defensive. Anyway, he was a really cool guy, and he didn't even get that mad at me.

SEALgep
07-26-2004, 08:03 AM
That's pretty cool, that he joked around with you. As far as moves are concerned, Gammons said something alond the lines of an Estes from Colorado. A potentially solid move for them, but nothing blockbuster. Estes has been pitching well this year, but a move like that doesn't really scare me, although as I said, it could be a good move, if it happens.

Aidan
07-26-2004, 08:15 AM
It's either going to be Kris Benson, Miguel Batista, or Shawn Estes. They are rumored to be traded Doug Mientkiewicz and maybe Michael Restovich in whatever deal they make.

elrod
07-26-2004, 09:09 AM
The talk about the Twins' need for a fifth starter is a little interesting. Terry Mulholland has been lights out from the 5th starter spot. The worst pitcher has been Kyle Lohse and I don't see the Twins dropping him from the rotation. Silva isn't as strong as early in the year but, again, I don't see them dropping him either. The #5 spot - once filled by Greisinger and Guerrier - is now ably filled by Mulholland. I see the logic - put Estes in at #5 and Mulholland in the pen. But could Estes really do better than Mulholland? Plus, with amazing turnaround of Grant Balfour and J.C. Romero, the bullpen is a lot stronger than earlier this year. Roa/Rincon set up Nathan. Balfour, Romero and Fultz in middle relief. That's a great bullpen, without Mulholland.

The Twins need a big bat, not an arm. With Mauer out and Mientkewicz and Guzman hurting the Twins could use another IF. Trading Restovich seems to make the situation worse. Cuddyer is going to replace Coskie at 3B next year, but won't get much playing time this year. Rivas does the job at 2B but isn't great. Trading Mientkewicz and letting Morneau start at 1B would probably help. So they could use a big bopper 2B/SS (Offerman is not the answer). Hmm. Good luck. No way they add a catcher either - Mauer isn't out long enough.

Frankly, I don't see who could provide the huge offensive boost the way Shannon Stewart did last year. Their OF with Jones, Hunter and Stewart - and Ford as 4th OF/DH - means they have enough bats there. The Twins are unique in that few players stand out as superstars at their positions, several players can move around, and chemistry is more important than talent.

Aidan
07-26-2004, 09:25 AM
The talk about the Twins' need for a fifth starter is a little interesting. Terry Mulholland has been lights out from the 5th starter spot. The worst pitcher has been Kyle Lohse and I don't see the Twins dropping him from the rotation. Silva isn't as strong as early in the year but, again, I don't see them dropping him either. The #5 spot - once filled by Greisinger and Guerrier - is now ably filled by Mulholland. I see the logic - put Estes in at #5 and Mulholland in the pen. But could Estes really do better than Mulholland? Plus, with amazing turnaround of Grant Balfour and J.C. Romero, the bullpen is a lot stronger than earlier this year. Roa/Rincon set up Nathan. Balfour, Romero and Fultz in middle relief. That's a great bullpen, without Mulholland.

The Twins need a big bat, not an arm. With Mauer out and Mientkewicz and Guzman hurting the Twins could use another IF. Trading Restovich seems to make the situation worse. Cuddyer is going to replace Coskie at 3B next year, but won't get much playing time this year. Rivas does the job at 2B but isn't great. Trading Mientkewicz and letting Morneau start at 1B would probably help. So they could use a big bopper 2B/SS (Offerman is not the answer). Hmm. Good luck. No way they add a catcher either - Mauer isn't out long enough.

Frankly, I don't see who could provide the huge offensive boost the way Shannon Stewart did last year. Their OF with Jones, Hunter and Stewart - and Ford as 4th OF/DH - means they have enough bats there. The Twins are unique in that few players stand out as superstars at their positions, several players can move around, and chemistry is more important than talent.How long do you think 41 year old Terry Mulholalland will continue to pitch well? I'm sure even the Twins realize this and that's why they are looking for another starter.

ma-gaga
07-26-2004, 11:43 AM
The talk about the Twins' need for a fifth starter is a little interesting. Terry Mulholland has been lights out from the 5th starter spot.
Roa/Rincon set up Nathan. Balfour, Romero and Fultz in middle relief. That's a great bullpen, without Mulholland.
Trading Mientkewicz and letting Morneau start at 1B would probably help. So they could use a big bopper 2B/SS (Offerman is not the answer).
Frankly, I don't see who could provide the huge offensive boost the way Shannon Stewart did last year. Their OF with Jones, Hunter and Stewart - and Ford as 4th OF/DH - means they have enough bats there. The Twins are unique in that few players stand out as superstars at their positions, several players can move around, and chemistry is more important than talent.The Twins are in the enviable position of becoming healthy (exception Joe Mauer). Mullholland has been fine as a 5th starter, but he's been given some unreal run support and he's been pulled after 5-6 innings each time out. He's not a long term answer there.

I like the bullpen better without Mullholland. They are starting to gel, and they are becoming fairly good. There's not a real weak link. Nathan's been lights out. He's also aged 3-4 years this season. :D If Balfour throws strikes, he's lights out, but he's also been known to walk the bases loaded. He needs to focus each time out to become dominant.

The "huge offensive boost" is going to come from Morneau playing everyday at first base. That's their big move. S.Stewart is back as well after missing 2-3 months, if they can substitute Lew Ford for J.Jones 2-3 times a week, I'll be ecstatic.

They also are rotating in Cuddyer at second base enough and limiting the amount of exposure/suckiness that Rivas brings. They've been rotating LeCroy/Blanco at catcher while Mauer is out, and that seems to be fairly effective. Blanco has a great glove and LeCroy is good bat. Nick Punto is getting some regular time at shortstop. He's an Eckstein model, slick fielding, tiny kid like. I like him a lot, even if he's limited offensively.

They definitely need one more legitimate starting pitcher to eat up 7-8 starts (50-60 innings) this year. He doesn't have to be GOOD, just average, and I'm hoping Benson fits the bill.

Hopefully the return of Stewart, the promotion of Morneau, and getting L.Ford/M.Cuddyer in for J.Jones/L.Rivas will significantly upgrade their overall offense without significantly downgrading their defense.

:gulp: Should be fun to see how this shakes out. Their lineup could be fairly deep, patient, and dangerous. The fan in me hates them trading away Doug Misspelling, but the roto-geek in me loves what it does.

Huisj
07-26-2004, 12:04 PM
Maybe the move he was talking about was a move down in the standings after this week. :wink:

34 Inch Stick
07-26-2004, 12:45 PM
I saw Ross Gload in a bar the other day. He told me Nathan is full of it and not to believe a word that comes from his mouth.

CHISOXFAN13
07-26-2004, 01:03 PM
I saw Ross Gload in a bar the other day. He told me Nathan is full of it and not to believe a word that comes from his mouth.

Did Ross drop his beer or run into people waiting in line for the bathroom? :D:

bigdommer
07-26-2004, 01:07 PM
Nathan must be on to something. The Minneapolis paper reported today that two sources in the Twins' organization have confirmed that Doug Mienkavicz has been told that he will be traded.

What rebuilding team would want Minky, a weak hitting 1st baseman? The only thing I can think of is a team like the Red Sox pulling a 3-way deal. With Nixon on the shelf, they can move Millar to right, DH Ortiz and put Minky at 1st and bat him near the bottom of the order. That would shore up their D in the infield. And then they would have Manny and Millar at the corners of their outfield. Yikes.

I guess Boston and Minny would each then deal a prospect to Pittsburgh for Benson? I don't know. I just think that Boston is the only team in the league that would have a use for Minky right now. Well, the Yank$ might, with Giambi being eaten alive by insects.