PDA

View Full Version : Throwback unis?

cbrownson13
07-25-2004, 10:40 PM
I've noticed a few teams wore some throwback unis this weekend. (Twins, Baltimore, Pittsburgh) Does anyone know if the Sox have plans on wearing some throwbacks this year?

IlliniSoxFan
07-25-2004, 10:45 PM
I read on the Tigers site that the Sox and Tigers are wearing Negro-league throwbacks next Friday...

cbrownson13
07-25-2004, 11:28 PM
Hmm, I was hoping to see some '83 action at a home game.

doublem23
07-25-2004, 11:53 PM
I don't think so and I hope not... Those uniforms are so hideous.

OurBitchinMinny
07-25-2004, 11:57 PM
I want to see the ones they wore in the last few years at old comiskey. The ones that had a lot more red in them, and the weird looking "c" on the hat. They were ok uni, not IMO as good as what we have now, but the first game I saw the sox in person they were wearing those ones

doublem23
07-26-2004, 12:00 AM
I want to see the ones they wore in the last few years at old comiskey. The ones that had a lot more red in them, and the weird looking "c" on the hat. They were ok uni, not IMO as good as what we have now, but the first game I saw the sox in person they were wearing those ones
Oh yeah, I agree... I really wish those were the cool, retro jerseys to behold instead of the '83 pajamas. Man, those unis were good lookin'; my second favorite to the current stock.

DoggPhood
07-26-2004, 12:10 AM
I think they should bring back the shorts for one game. That'd be hilarious.

FightingBillini
07-26-2004, 01:11 AM
I think we are long overdue to bring back the black and red of 1959 for a game. Those jerseys were classy, right down to the sleeve numbers.

Nellie_Fox
07-26-2004, 01:18 AM
It's funny how we're influenced by the uniform the team was wearing when we first became a fan. So many of you like the 83 softball uniform, and now someone brings up the horribly generic uniform that followed, with the Einhorn E on the hat (Yes, I know it was a script C, but it looked like a lower-case "e". I always thought that uniform looked like someone called a uniform company and said "we have a team called the White Sox, send us some uniforms" and those are what showed up.

Blueprint1
07-26-2004, 01:50 AM
It's funny how we're influenced by the uniform the team was wearing when we first became a fan. So many of you like the 83 softball uniform, and now someone brings up the horribly generic uniform that followed, with the Einhorn E on the hat (Yes, I know it was a script C, but it looked like a lower-case "e". I always thought that uniform looked like someone called a uniform company and said "we have a team called the White Sox, send us some uniforms" and those are what showed up.
That uniform may have been the worst in baseball history. At least the other nasty looking ones are cool now because of how nasty they were. I still love the 83 sox uniforms though you may call them softball uniforms but i love them. the script C uniform was the worst by far. Remember the Bulls had the script print on their uniforms at that time also. Jerry must love that.

doublem23
07-26-2004, 01:56 AM
Speaking of uniforms, I was just parusing WSI's Guide to Sox Uniforms (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=3&id=2104), and I noticed that it mentions the 1969 road jerseys are powder blue and not gray, however when I was at the park on Friday, I was wandering around the White Sox Hall of Fame and they had a jersey from that era and I'm pretty sure it was gray. I'm going to make it a point to go out to the park either this series or the next homestand and I'll check again to be sure.

Also, considering some of the uniforms this franchise has employed, I never would have guessed that Nellie didn't like the 1987-1990 Einhorn "e"s... I always saw them as very traditional (which I guess is a nice spin on generic, but still)... Maybe it is because they were the first uniforms I saw the Sox in, but man they are good lookin', IMO. I was at a Sox-Indians game way back when and I saw a guy walking around the concourse in the home white top with a red 72 on the back and it was a nice, nice look. I'll meet you halfway and say that the pants could be better. No stripe and the number on to the left of the crotch are a bit strange.

Plus, I have found memories of friends owning the trucker hat version of the scripted, lower-case "e." Good times. :smile:

C-Dawg
07-26-2004, 05:18 AM
Just for fun I'd like to see the red pinstripes-era uniforms reappear once or twice. Especially since on the "100 Years of White Sox History" video they show on the screen before every game has a bunch of color pics of guys in those uniforms.... Jim Kaat, Tommy John, Bucky Dent, etc... Seems like it would be a good tie-in to the video.

LongLiveFisk
07-26-2004, 08:35 AM
They just showcased these last September. I don't think we'll see them again for awhile.

Over By There
07-26-2004, 08:47 AM
I think we are long overdue to bring back the black and red of 1959 for a game. Those jerseys were classy, right down to the sleeve numbers.

Agreed - I really like everything about those unis.

SpringfldFan
07-26-2004, 09:13 AM
I can't believe nobody has suggested the navy & white pajamas, other then the aforementioned shorts. Heck, if they wore the late 70's version with the navy tops *and* bottoms, they would be on every highlight reel that night. Those were so awful they are awesome in retrospect.

GregoryEtc
07-26-2004, 09:43 AM
I can't believe nobody has suggested the navy & white pajamas, other then the aforementioned shorts. Heck, if they wore the late 70's version with the navy tops *and* bottoms, they would be on every highlight reel that night. Those were so awful they are awesome in retrospect.
I LOVE those unis. I've had the thought lately that the Sox could bring back a version of those for an alternate away jersey. They used the same font on the All Star warm ups last year and I think a black "CHICAGO" uni with that font for an alternate road uniform would be sweet.

Railsplitter
07-26-2004, 10:14 AM
It looked like an "E" to those who mistake a 5 for a 9

Nellie_Fox
07-27-2004, 12:31 AM
It looked like an "E" to those who mistake a 5 for a 9Huh?

Ozzie
07-27-2004, 01:23 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/photo/simseries/whitesox_1983.jpgnumber on the pantleg?? now thats kickass!:bandance:

Sox-on-TV44
07-27-2004, 09:19 AM
I think that jersey (1976-81) was the best!They should wear that at a home game!They should make it a "Salute to 1977" night with it too!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
:notwinks
This could be you,Torii "Spelling" Hunter!

jabrch
07-27-2004, 09:21 AM
I think that jersey (1976-81) was the best!They should wear that at a home game!They should make it a "Salute to 1977" night with it too!
I am a big fan of that jersey also. I am looking to find one priced reasonably in a XL. Some on E-bay, but usually XX or XXX.

Baby Fisk
07-27-2004, 09:23 AM
I am a big fan of that jersey also. I am looking to find one priced reasonably in a XL. Some on E-bay, but usually XX or XXX.Add me to the list. This was my first exposure to the madness that is White Sox baseball and I love these unies too. I bought a navy blue #72 jersey last year, but it didn't come cheap. They pop up occasionally on eBay -- actually there was a white one up for bids yesterday. Good luck in the hunt! :cool: