PDA

View Full Version : Twins Trading Doug Mientkiewicz

3Pete
07-25-2004, 10:26 PM
The Star Tribune in Minneapolis is reporting the Twins have told Doug Mientkiewicz he will be traded, possibly to try to get Kris Benson. Justin Morneau, the power-hitting young 1B, has supplanted him, so he's expendable.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/4893983.html

Cowch44
07-25-2004, 10:31 PM
I hope they get Kris Benson, his ERA'll prolly explode, and if it doesnt, he really won't make them THAT much better.

OurBitchinMinny
07-26-2004, 12:51 AM
I do not hope they get kris benson and also getting rid of mienkietwicz is not ideal for the sox. Benson is a good pitcher and will help any team he gets dealt to. He is finally healthy and has an era under 2 in his last 7-8 starts. Morneau is gonna be a stud and is already a better hitter than mink....screw it....Morneau is almost like a deadline acquisition. I hope they dont get anyone, but they are gonna which makes it critical that the white sox do something. If maggs and frank were ok i would have been ok with standing pat, but not anymore. KW has to think they both will miss the season, which they most likely will. Worry about potential controversies when the time comes

medlaker24
07-26-2004, 01:15 AM
Since Stewart has come back, and the Twins brought up Morneau, their offense has come to life. Add in Lew Ford and Mauer when he returns, the Twins are gonna start scoring runs. After the losses of Maggs and Frank, the Sox are gonna need to make some moves if they want to keep up.

ma-gaga
07-26-2004, 01:18 AM
Damn, they are getting rid of all their hard to spell players...

I'm truly torn. Defense is overrated, but it's so much fun to watch. He's been terrible at the plate this year, and this clears the way for 'Dr.' Morneau, or my favorite nickname, 'the prototype'.

But if this goes thru, I truly am going to miss the mouthiest Twin...

Nellie_Fox
07-26-2004, 02:36 AM
KFAN was all over Mientkiewicz because he has been whining about being replaced in the lineup by Morneau ("if I was the manager, I'd play the guys who got me there, but I'm not the manager") so I wouldn't be surprised if they unloaded him before he becomes a problem in the clubhouse. He is very good defensively, but first is an offensive position. The Twins are a better team with Morneau at first and LeCroy at DH than with Mientkiewicz at first and Morneau DH.

The question is, what can you get for a .240 average singles-hitting first baseman? I just can't see the world beating a path to the door of the Twins to get him.

Mohoney
07-26-2004, 03:01 AM
The question is, what can you get for a .240 average singles-hitting first baseman? I just can't see the world beating a path to the door of the Twins to get him.

Exactly what I was thinking. If Meintkiewicz is in a package to Pittsburgh for Benson, then Littlefield must be THE STUPIDEST GM in baseball. For God's sake, Randall Simon looks like Lou Gehrig when compared to Meintkiewicz.

Why don't we beat Minnesota to the punch and swing a 3-way deal with the Diamondbacks and Pirates?

We give the Pirates Neal Cotts, Joe Borchard, and Ruddy Yan for Benson, then package Benson and Jon Garland to get Randy Johnson and cash to somewhat offset his '04 salary. We would pay the '05 salary.

It seems like an awful lot to give up, but we need to remember that we would have Johnson in '05, too. We're not just renting him for 2 months.

Arizona would basically get 2/5 of their future rotation to compliment Brandon Webb, and perhaps they could swing a FA signing or another trade to round out the rotation.

Pittsburgh would get a decent haul, probably better than any package centered around Meintkiewicz.

We would get Randy Johnson to anchor our rotation both this year and next.

Minnesota would get NOTHING. They would probably have to settle for a Shawn Estes-type.

Of course, this whole pipe dream is contingent on Arizona being able to lock Benson in with an extension. It's also contingent on Arizona offsetting some of Randy's salary this year. It's also contingent on a desperate team not overpaying for Benson.

Aidan
07-26-2004, 03:13 AM
I can't believe that article said that the Pirates are actually interested in Mientkiewicz. The guy sucks. He is a good fielding 1st baseman with absolutely no power. First base is a position where you want power. I don't get it.

How do the Pirates go from demanding a major league-ready position player AND a top prospect for Benson to taking Mientkiewicz? Mientkiewicz is barely major league-ready. :tongue: Now if the Twins offer Mientkiewicz AND Restovich for Benson, I can see it happening. But I don't think the Twins want to give up either Morneau OR Restovich. I just don't buy it.

jeremyb1
07-26-2004, 03:23 AM
Yikes. I didn't know they'd decided to keep Morneau at 1B. That's not good news for Sox fans.

Aidan
07-26-2004, 03:26 AM
Yikes. I didn't know they'd decided to keep Morneau at 1B. That's not good news for Sox fans.Yeah, he's pretty good and a hell of alot better than Mientkiewicz.

ma-gaga
07-26-2004, 11:18 AM
Now if the Twins offer Mientkiewicz AND Restovich for Benson, I can see it happening.
Actually, I think that THIS is going to be the trade. Restovich has some nominal trade value. I mean we're only talking about a 6 month rental of Kris Benson.

I don't know what the Pirates REALISTICALLY thought they could demand for him. He's simply not as good as Garcia or RJohnson.

Jeremyb1,
Morneau looks really freaking good. :gulp:

medlaker24
07-26-2004, 03:21 PM
Here is the deal. From what I have heard it will be a three-way deal with Boston involved. Boston getting Dougie, Pittsburg getting a prospect from both Boston and Minnesota, and Minnesota getting Benson.

Minnesota is supposidly offering Restovich as their prospect for the deal.

Tekijawa
07-26-2004, 03:36 PM
As stated Previously... Let them have BENSON!!!

Benson has a 4+ Era in the NL

Has a Career 8.44 ERA agains the sox in 1 game
Has a Career 9.95 ERA Against Boston in 1 game
a Career 10.29 Era against the tribe in 3 games
1.35 against the tigers in 1 game
5.03 against KC in 3 games
1.13 against the Angels in 1 game
7.84 against Oakland in 2 games
has never faced Texas, Yankees, or Baltimore...

Also has a 6.55 career era in domes in 10 games

I say we cheer them on in their quest for the great Kris Benson!

princek
07-26-2004, 06:16 PM
he also has been lights out with an era in the 2's his last 7 or 8 starts

oeo
07-26-2004, 06:42 PM
he also has been lights out with an era in the 2's his last 7 or 8 starts
But look at his numbers in the AL and in domes.