PDA

View Full Version : PHG, more Cubune spin on the falling concrete.

cheeses_h_rice
07-25-2004, 08:29 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0407250363jul25,1,2112983.story?coll=chi-news-hed

Your friend Ann Marie's quote is pretty funny. I changed the colors accordingly:

Chicago Tribune Editor Ann Marie Lipinski said the newspaper covers the Chicago Cubs as it would any other local team. "The Chicago Tribune, which does not own a baseball team, covers the Cubs as aggressively as any other sports franchise in Chicago," she said. "Any suggestion to the contrary would come as a surprise to our reporters and our readers." So the Cubune not being the official owner of the Cubs -- that role would fall to the Cubune's PARENT company, the Cubune Co. -- is now her built-in excuse for why there couldn't possibly be any bias in the way the Cubune covers the Cubs? Unreal. Or does she mean the Cubune's "aggressive" coverage of the Cubs in terms of how many column inches they routinely give the Cubs over the Sox?

"There is a concern. If there's a grouping of problems with one building, like at Wrigley, then someone has to go look at it and stabilize the building," he said. "If they are isolated problems, then you can correct them easily. I'd think if there was a major problem, we would have seen it by now."

<snip>

With routine maintenance, Williams said, stadiums such as Wrigley can last much longer.

"There's no reason to tear down Wrigley," he said. "It's not going anywhere."

<snip>

Guralnick said it would be unfair to pin the problems on Wrigley's age.

"Age as such is not a problem," he said. "The Colosseum is a stadium, and it's 2,000 years old and parts of it are still standing. . . . There are plenty of structures that are quite old and are still satisfactory." LMAO. So I guess the Flubs will be moving their games to Rome if Wrigley has more problems? I mean, after all, the Colosseum is "satisfactory," isn't it?

And why is it unfair to pin problems like falling concrete on Wrigley's age? Don't old buildings deteriorate as a matter of physics?

Seems to me this article was all about downplaying the problems the park is having and desperately trying to reassure the general public.

Spin? Nah. Never at the Cubune.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-25-2004, 09:39 PM
I bet Gary Washburn nearly creamed his pants when that engineer invoked the name of the ancient Roman Colosseum. LMAO! There is nothing the Cubune would like more than create a connection between the Urinal and the greatest edifice ever built by man to spectator sports. Like Weegham had eternity in mind when he built that dump for the Whales one century ago? My God...
:?:

I half-expect Gary to ask Ann Marie to commission a study for the feasibility of staging a Flubbie game inside Rome's ancient ruins, in spite of the dangerous neighborhood of course. You could never replicate Wrigleyville (aka "Lakeview" when someone is murdered there).
:roflmao:

Flight #24
07-25-2004, 09:45 PM
LMAO. So I guess the Flubs will be moving their games to Rome if Wrigley has more problems? I mean, after all, the Colosseum is "satisfactory," isn't it?

Heck, postgame Wrigleyville is already like the last days of Rome, so who among Cub fans would even notice the difference as long as they ship over the Old Style?

samram
07-25-2004, 09:50 PM
Guralnick said it would be unfair to pin the problems on Wrigley's age.
Ok, I'll pin the problems on poor construction and maintenance. Does that make it better? That whole article is :bs:.

AnkleSox
07-25-2004, 09:59 PM
"The Colosseum is a stadium, and it's 2,000 years old and parts of it are still standing. . . "

again "PARTS of it are still standing."

I'm sure Wrigley would work just fine as a ballpark if just PARTS of it were standing. I mean, they don't really need the fence in the outfield or the upper deck, do they?

cheeses_h_rice
07-25-2004, 10:16 PM
I bet Gary Washburn nearly creamed his pants when that engineer invoked the name of the ancient Roman Colosseum. LMAO! There is nothing the Cubune would like more than create a connection between the Urinal and the greatest edifice ever built by man to spectator sports. Like Weegham had eternity in mind when he built that dump for the Whales one century ago? My God...
:?: :nandrolone

Li' I allways say, I a' a gladiator.

hose
07-25-2004, 10:23 PM
If the Cubs are forced to play their games at the Cell it will pay off in spades for the White Sox organization.

Cub fans and rubes from Iowa will be blown away how nice US Cellular Field really is.

The Sox attendance and public image will go up accordinly because some of these fans are going to come back to watch White Sox baseball.

WSox8404
07-26-2004, 12:43 AM
Ha. Parts of it are still standing after 2000 years. At this rate, Wiggley will be in ruins in about 25 more years. I guess it wasn't built as good, huh?

WSox8404
07-26-2004, 12:46 AM
:woo-woo "Hell, I am happy. Once Wiggley falls down, I can live in the remains."

Nellie_Fox
07-26-2004, 01:28 AM
:woo-woo "Hell, I am happy. Once Wiggley falls down, I can live in the remains."Nope, sorry Ronnie. The Cubs will continue to play in the ruins. They'll just have ground rules for what to do when the ball disappears into rubble, much like when it disappears into the ivy. (When is MLB going to make them tear down the ivy and put up pads for player safety?)

Railsplitter
07-26-2004, 10:30 AM
Yes the Colosseum is still standing in parts, but there's nothing in the structure of the thing that can rust.

SaltyPretzel
07-26-2004, 10:53 AM
Michael Ray, 21, wasn't worrying about the cost as he walked around the ballpark Friday afternoon.

"I didn't find out about the cement falling until this morning, but I think they should hurry up and get this thing fixed so they can stay here as long as possible," said Ray, who was on a baseball trip with a buddy. "As long as the Cubs can play at Wrigley, the better it is for baseball and the United States."

We must fix Wrigley now. Our freedom depends on it. :angry:

ma_deuce
07-26-2004, 11:23 AM
Michael Ray, 21, wasn't worrying about the cost as he walked around the ballpark Friday afternoon.

"I didn't find out about the cement falling until this morning, but I think they should hurry up and get this thing fixed so they can stay here as long as possible," said Ray, who was on a baseball trip with a buddy. "As long as the Cubs can play at Wrigley, the better it is for baseball and the United States."
We must fix Wrigley, or truely the terrorist have won.

Tekijawa
07-26-2004, 11:28 AM
Heck, postgame Wrigleyville is already like the last days of Rome, so who among Cub fans would even notice the difference as long as they ship over the Old Style?
Wouldn't the Old Style go bad making that long trip to Rome?

maurice
07-26-2004, 12:23 PM
"The Colosseum is a stadium, and it's 2,000 years old and parts of it are still standing. . . "

again "PARTS of it are still standing."Nice catch. This isn't a very helpful analogy for the cubune. If Wrigley = the Roman Colosseum, it is a dangerous and inadequate venue.

The vast majority of the facade of the Colosseum is long gone. The remainder is held together with retrofitted brick and mortar that is significantly younger than 2000 years old. The interior of the Colosseum is not condusive to sports either, seeing as there is no floor.

In other news, Dusty continues to fiddle while cubdumb burns. :cool:

jackbrohamer
07-26-2004, 01:35 PM
In other news, Dusty continues to fiddle while cubdumb burns. :cool:
Seriously, his Giants clubhouse used to fall apart too, Bonds & Kent hated each others' guts and aired everything out in the media

bigfoot
07-26-2004, 03:00 PM
If the Urinal can now be referenced as the Colosseum, in stature, certainly the Tribune Building will now become the 'Tower of Babel'