PDA

View Full Version : our DL guys saving Sox money?

jamteh
07-25-2004, 09:29 PM
If this has been addressed elsewhere and I missed, I apologize.

If I'm not mistaken, don't pro teams take out insurance policies on their high-priced players in case they get hurt? If that's the case, doesn't that mean the Sox aren't paying Maggs & Thomas' salaries while they're hurt, insurance is?

I guess my point is that, if I'm not totally off-base with my hypothesis, then the Sox should have a lot of spending money to play with, right?

Daver
07-25-2004, 09:46 PM

If I'm not mistaken, don't pro teams take out insurance policies on their high-priced players in case they get hurt? If that's the case, doesn't that mean the Sox aren't paying Maggs & Thomas' salaries while they're hurt, insurance is?

I guess my point is that, if I'm not totally off-base with my hypothesis, then the Sox should have a lot of spending money to play with, right?
Your completely wrong.

Contract insurance has gone through the roof because of the numbers included in contracts these days (Rodriguez,A.) to the point that the insurance is only beneficial if the contract is over fifty mil in total value, thus, most contracts are no longer covered by insurance.

dickallen15
07-25-2004, 10:22 PM
Insurance has become difficult to obtain to due payouts like Albert Belle, plus several high priced pitching injuries. Its very unlikely the Sox have insurance on Thomas, and if they did, its the other question would be the parameters of a payout. Ordonez signed his contract 3 or 4 years ago when insurance was a little more reasonable. It is possible the Sox have his contract insured. There is no way to know what percentage and how much time he would have to miss for that payment.

Deadguy
07-25-2004, 11:47 PM
Insurance companies exist to make a profit. Players get injured all the time. If they were actually offering coverage for players who are out for a couple of months, I'd be curious to find out how expensive the premiums are.

The only teams I ever heard of being compensated for injured players are the Mets (Mo Vaughn) and the Orioles (Albert Belle).

ma-gaga
07-26-2004, 12:55 AM
The only teams I ever heard of being compensated for injured players are the Mets (Mo Vaughn) and the Orioles (Albert Belle).
The Twins got most of Kirby Pucketts' contract refunded to them. I think it was something like $20MM for the 3 years that he missed.

It was very quietly reported...

gosox41
07-26-2004, 11:10 AM

Insurance generally kicks in if a player has a career ending injury. There are a lot of clauses in these policies. But it doesn't cover a player's salary while he's on the DL. If it's career ending, I guarantee the insurance company will do their due diligence before paying any big money out.

Bob

Dadawg_77
07-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Insurance generally kicks in if a player has a career ending injury. There are a lot of clauses in these policies. But it doesn't cover a player's salary while he's on the DL. If it's career ending, I guarantee the insurance company will do their due diligence before paying any big money out.

Bob
That is correct.