PDA

View Full Version : Sox after Guardado?

habibharu
07-25-2004, 04:47 PM
From the NY post:Despite their public claims to the contrary, the Mariners are listening to what is available for closer Eddie Guardado, and will deal lefty set-up men Mike Myers and Ron Villone. However, upper management has promised Jamie Moyer that Seattle will not try to deal him unless he expresses an interest in going elsewhere. That is bad news for the Yanks, who favor Moyer and Al Leiter if they're unable to land Randy Johnson. The White Sox, the most active team so far, are looking at Guardado among others in their quest to add another arm to either their bullpen or rotation. http://www.nypost.com/sports/25534.htm

OEO Magglio
07-25-2004, 04:57 PM
From the NY post: http://www.nypost.com/sports/25534.htmI'd rather go after a middle reliever that would cost much less. That being said I wouldn't mind eddie as long as he agrees to be a setup man. Shingo is our closer.

Win1ForMe
07-25-2004, 04:58 PM
Hopefully not true, our remaining prospects should be used in acquiring more pressing needs (another big bat, rigth-handed utility IF, starting pitcher, Jason Kendall). Don't see why Eddie Guardado would crack that priority list.

OEO Magglio
07-25-2004, 05:00 PM
Hopefully not true, our remaining prospects should be used in acquiring more pressing needs (another big bat, rigth-handed utility IF, starting pitcher, Jason Kendall). Don't see why Eddie Guardado would crack that priority list.I think another relief pitcher should be at the top of kenny's priority list. However I don't think it should be a closer, just another solid arm to replace wacko jacko.

nitetrain8601
07-25-2004, 05:11 PM
If available and we could get him for a few mid minor leaguers, I'm going for it.

Frater Perdurabo
07-25-2004, 05:17 PM
Just like it was better to get Garcia than a "#5 pitcher," it would be better to add a reliever who is a good closer than a "middle reliever."

This way, there would be three good pitchers who could close out games and the other two could function as set-up pitchers.

I'd be in favor of trading for Eddie Guardado if the Mariners did not expect the farm in return.

OEO Magglio
07-25-2004, 05:21 PM
I'd be in favor of trading for Eddie Guardado if the Mariners did not expect the farm in return.That's why I'd rather the sox get a solid middle reliever, unless of course eddie comes fairly cheap. I'd rather get a solid middle reliever and then get another solid bat or another starting pitcher then just to get eddie. Also, like I already said if Eddie comes here, he's a setup man and not the closer.

Win1ForMe
07-25-2004, 05:33 PM
Just like it was better to get Garcia than a "#5 pitcher," it would be better to add a reliever who is a good closer than a "middle reliever."

This way, there would be three good pitchers who could close out games and the other two could function as set-up pitchers.

I'd be in favor of trading for Eddie Guardado if the Mariners did not expect the farm in return.I really don't see the need to acquire another set-up/closer guy to pair with Politte-Marte-Shingo. I know Mike Jackson sucks and people want him off the team but, realistically, how many games has he actually cost us?

We've been losing games because of poor starting pitching or poor offensive productivity, not Mike Jackson. IMO, best case scenario would be to acquire another starter and move Schoe to the bullpen.

There's reports in today's papers the Pirates would be willing to package Benson for nothing for any team acquiring Jason Kendall's contract. If Reinsdorf were really serious about winning, Kenny would make that move and still have prospect left over to acquire another "middle of the lineup" type slugger.

Chek2002
07-25-2004, 06:45 PM
The NY Post says the Sox could try to get Eddie from Seattle.
Here is the link:
http://www.nypost.com/sports/25534.htm
How about Neal Cotts and a minor leaguer. Guardado would help the strengthen the bullpen. He and Marte could set up for Takatsu.

Also the Sox should try to get Carlos Beltran. Maybe Borchard, Diaz and a minor leaguer for Beltran. Beltran would help fill the void left by Maggs, plus Belran is a switch hitter and is a good defender. Thomas and Maggs probably will not be 100 percent if they do come back this season. Then the Sox could move Rowand to right.

A line-up of:
1. Harris/Uribe 2B
2. Rowand RF
3. Beltran CF
4. Lee LF
5. Everett DH
6. Konerko 1B
7. Valentin SS
8. Crede 3B
9. Burke/Alomar C

Any thoughts?
:)

mantis1212
07-25-2004, 06:53 PM
I think another relief pitcher should be at the top of kenny's priority list. However I don't think it should be a closer, just another solid arm to replace wacko jacko.
I think that solid arm should be Shoenweiss after we get another starter.

CWSGuy406
07-25-2004, 06:56 PM
I really don't see the need to acquire another set-up/closer guy to pair with Politte-Marte-Shingo. I know Mike Jackson sucks and people want him off the team but, realistically, how many games has he actually cost us?

We've been losing games because of poor starting pitching or poor offensive productivity, not Mike Jackson. IMO, best case scenario would be to acquire another starter and move Schoe to the bullpen.

There's reports in today's papers the Pirates would be willing to package Benson for nothing for any team acquiring Jason Kendall's contract. If Reinsdorf were really serious about winning, Kenny would make that move and still have prospect left over to acquire another "middle of the lineup" type slugger.
That's a hell of a lot of money - but you're right, if this team really, really wanted to go for the jugular, they'd make that move.

jordan23ventura
07-25-2004, 07:07 PM
Here is the link:
How about Neal Cotts and a minor leaguer. Guardado would help the strengthen the bullpen. He and Marte could set up for Takatsu.

Also the Sox should try to get Carlos Beltran. Maybe Borchard, Diaz and a minor leaguer for Beltran. Beltran would help fill the void left by Maggs, plus Belran is a switch hitter and is a good defender. Thomas and Maggs probably will not be 100 percent if they do come back this season. Then the Sox could move Rowand to right.

A line-up of:
1. Harris/Uribe 2B
2. Rowand RF
3. Beltran CF
4. Lee LF
5. Everett DH
6. Konerko 1B
7. Valentin SS
8. Crede 3B
9. Burke/Alomar C

Any thoughts?
Let's see how desperate Houston gets to drop Beltran over the next few days.

JoseCanseco6969
07-25-2004, 07:18 PM
I think that solid arm should be Shoenweiss after we get another starter.isnt he on that team with Beuhrle and Valentine? Oh and how could I forget Loiaza

TrollHouseCookie
07-25-2004, 07:30 PM
isnt he on that team with Beuhrle and Valentine? Valentine? The guy with the big heart?

Brian26
07-25-2004, 07:38 PM
The nice thing about adding another starter before July 31 is that it offers us the option of using Schoeneweis as our long man in the pen (assuming Garland stays in the rotation). Getting another starter almost equals getting another reliever too since we can shuffle a guy from the rotation to the pen.

medlaker24
07-25-2004, 07:58 PM
Here is the link:

A line-up of:
1. Harris/Uribe 2B
2. Rowand RF
3. Beltran CF
4. Lee LF
5. Everett DH
6. Konerko 1B
7. Valentin SS
8. Crede 3B
9. Burke/Alomar C

Any thoughts?
Cotts and a Minor leaguer??? Seattle may be out of the playoff hunt, but they are not crazy. Cotts has no value.

OEO Magglio
07-25-2004, 07:59 PM
Cotts and a Minor leaguer??? Seattle may be out of the playoff hunt, but they are not crazy. Cotts has no value.First off, welcome aboard. Second, Cotts has a ton of value.

medlaker24
07-25-2004, 08:11 PM
First off, welcome aboard. Second, Cotts has a ton of value.
Hey thanks! I wasn't sure if anyone would notice that it was my first post or not.

Cotts is a young lefty. So far his major league career has been a flop. Im not saying he will never amount to anything. I guess I wouldn't say he has no value, but I don't beleive he has shown enough potential in the bigs to get a proven closer for him. Unless the minor leaguer tossed in with him had decent value, I wouldn't see Seattle making this trade.

Daver
07-25-2004, 08:16 PM
Hey thanks! I wasn't sure if anyone would notice that it was my first post or not.

Cotts is a young lefty. So far his major league career has been a flop. Im not saying he will never amount to anything. I guess I wouldn't say he has no value, but I don't beleive he has shown enough potential in the bigs to get a proven closer for him. Unless the minor leaguer tossed in with him had decent value, I wouldn't see Seattle making this trade.
They would, if the team trading for him tosses in the cash to cover his contract.

OurBitchinMinny
07-25-2004, 08:37 PM
Let's see how desperate Houston gets to drop Beltran over the next few days.
Houstons playing better of late, I dont know that they will shop beltran.

Mohoney
07-25-2004, 11:20 PM
If we somehow, someway, get Randy Johnson, it would undoubtedly cost us Garland. So the need for a middle reliever still stands, as Schoeneweis would still have to man the #5th starter position.

If Arizona would take Garland, Cotts, and perhaps a throw-in for Randy Johnson, we HAVE to do it. We would then have a rotation consisting of Johnson, Garcia, Buehrle, Loaiza, and Schoeneweis for the rest of '04, and Johnson, Garcia, and Buehrle would all be back for '05. Re-sign Loaiza at #4 starter money for a 2 or 3 year deal (I think he would accept) after this season, and we're all set for '05, too.

JB98
07-25-2004, 11:47 PM
Houstons playing better of late, I dont know that they will shop beltran.
They won't. Despite their woes, they are only five games out of the wild card. The fans have been showing up in droves in Houston this season. I believe Astros' management will reward them by holding on to Beltran and playing this thing out all the way to the very end. Houston will not say "Done!" until it is mathematically so, IMO.

I'm not convinced we need another bat, but if we do get one, I don't think we need to sell the farm to get a superstar like Beltran or Delgado. We should trade mid-level prospects to get a solid veteran bat, maybe Finley or Bautista from Arizona (both have WS experience). Or maybe Ibanez in a package with Guardado from Seattle.

In addition, RJ is not coming to Chicago. I don't see any point in debating who we should package to try to get him. All of this talk is nothing but delusions of grandeur.

jabrch
07-25-2004, 11:56 PM
The problem with adding Guardado to be a setup man, not a closer, is that then our two primary setup guys are lefties. I'd take him in a heartbeat - I'd love to have him. But I'd also be happy with Carlos Beltran or a package of Kendall and Benson from Pitt.

elrod
07-26-2004, 12:02 AM
I still think the best move would be to get Zaun (C) and Catalanotto (OF) from Toronto. I don't know who we'd have to give up but that would give us a solid catcher and a better outfielder than Timo/Gload in RF. Then we can send Ben Davis down to Charlotte where he belongs. Word is Toronto is looking to deal Catalanotto too.

JB98
07-26-2004, 12:09 AM
I still think the best move would be to get Zaun (C) and Catalanotto (OF) from Toronto. I don't know who we'd have to give up but that would give us a solid catcher and a better outfielder than Timo/Gload in RF. Then we can send Ben Davis down to Charlotte where he belongs. Word is Toronto is looking to deal Catalanotto too.
I can understand the reasons you want Catalanotto, but he is not a defensive upgrade. Well, he might be better than Gload in RF, but he's definitely below average with the glove. I'd rather have Timo in the outfield. I wouldn't mind getting Catalanotto's bat, though. He might come cheap too.

My question is, do we really want to bring in another catcher midseason? If we did, the guy would have to learn our pitching staff in the heat of a pennant race. That's not an easy thing to do. IMO, whatever offense we get out of the catcher is a bonus. A catcher's most important job is calling a game, and I think that's a strength for both Burke and Alomar. I'm not sure Zaun is much of an upgrade with the bat anyway. He's a journeyman in the same ilk as Burke.

WSox8404
07-26-2004, 12:11 AM
I think the Benson Kendal thing is the best of all. I mean we do need a catcher. Who are we kidding? Plus, Kendal gives us a lead off man that we desperately need. Willie isn't cutting it. We would also get Benson then. Put him in the rotation and send Shoney to the pen. This way the bullpen gets one more arm, the rotation gets one more arm, and we actually can have a guy on base when Lee, Konerko, and Crazy Carl come up.

hose
07-26-2004, 06:22 AM
Catalanotto is playing at about 60% with a 3 inch tear on his right external oblique fascia and will require surgery after the season ends.

Aidan
07-26-2004, 06:34 AM
The Scrubbies definately need "Everyday" Eddie Guardado more than we do and they have more prospects to give up for him. Jorge Julio, Jose Mesa, and Ugueth Urbina are also available but I doubt anyone here wants them.

jabrch
07-26-2004, 07:19 AM
The Scrubbies definately need "Everyday" Eddie Guardado more than we do and they have more prospects to give up for him. Jorge Julio, Jose Mesa, and Ugueth Urbina are also available but I doubt anyone here wants them.
I wouldn't mind Mesa/Urbina/Julio to set up. That would give us a strong righty/lefty/righty with Marte and Politte already there.

wdelaney72
07-26-2004, 09:57 AM
isnt he on that team with Beuhrle and Valentine? Oh and how could I forget Loiaza
When did Dan McNeil start posting on this site?

Nick@Nite
07-26-2004, 09:50 PM
Valentine? The guy with the big heart?
:dtroll: