PDA

View Full Version : "The Drummer Boy"

BainesHOF
07-25-2004, 10:59 AM
Just heard a radio broadcast of the 7-31-77 game against Kansas City when we come back three times including thee ninth and 10th innings to go up 6.5 games, the Southside Hitmen's high-water mark on the season. I happened to be a 10-year-old sitting in the left-field grandstand. To this day, it may have been the most exciting game I've been to.

In any case, Harry makes mention of "The Drummer Boy" rallying the crowd. I remember the guy, but my question is...Who exactly was he and does anyone happen to know if he's still around? And why did he stop playing at the park? If I remember right, he was around for two or three seasons.

Brian26
07-25-2004, 11:05 AM
I think he moved to Cleveland :D:

BarbG
07-25-2004, 11:25 AM
He was the guy with the "If you got 'em, floss 'em" shirt, right? Wow, I remember him.

jackbrohamer
07-25-2004, 11:26 AM
I don't think he was around very long. Guy gave me a headache.

dor92
07-25-2004, 12:00 PM
I worked with the drummer boy. His name is George Martin. He worked at the John O. Butler Company, which made dental products which is why the "if you got em, floss em" t-shirt.

I left the company in 1984, but he had been jumped earlier that year, and I don't think he stayed with the Sox that much longer.

And no, that is not him in Cleveland. George would not be able to attract a woman.

dor

michned
07-25-2004, 12:16 PM
Just heard a radio broadcast of the 7-31-77 game against Kansas City when we come back three times including thee ninth and 10th innings to go up 6.5 games, the Southside Hitmen's high-water mark on the season. I happened to be a 10-year-old sitting in the left-field grandstand. To this day, it may have been the most exciting game I've been to.

In any case, Harry makes mention of "The Drummer Boy" rallying the crowd. I remember the guy, but my question is...Who exactly was he and does anyone happen to know if he's still around? And why did he stop playing at the park? If I remember right, he was around for two or three seasons.
Where did you hear that broadcast? I remember the second game that day where Hal McRae hit a home run and ran around the base paths waving his cap to the crowd, since the Royals were angry at the Sox home run curtain calls. Of course, the second game was the beginning of the end for the South Side Hit Men that year.

Dick Allen
07-25-2004, 09:46 PM
George the Drummer was a fixture at Sox games during the 60's and made a comeback when Bill Veeck bought the team again. George was also a regular at New Trier football and basketball games, though he didn't use his drum there, just his loud voice. I somehow think he's deceased, though not 100% sure.

shbart
07-25-2004, 10:54 PM
Nope, good ol' George is still alive. We use to call him the Mayor of Central St. in Evanston. He was in the 4th of July parade as per tradition.

DrummerGeorgefan
07-25-2004, 11:06 PM
George the Drummer was a fixture at Sox games during the 60's and made a comeback when Bill Veeck bought the team again. George was also a regular at New Trier football and basketball games, though he didn't use his drum there, just his loud voice. I somehow think he's deceased, though not 100% sure.
FYI...my handle is in honor of Drummer George. I grew up on stories of my dad's run-ins and conversations with George (mostly probably while he if not both had had a few). All it takes is a few beers and my dad can put together some Drummer George stories

BainesHOF
07-26-2004, 01:04 AM
Where did you hear that broadcast? I remember the second game that day where Hal McRae hit a home run and ran around the base paths waving his cap to the crowd, since the Royals were angry at the Sox home run curtain calls. Of course, the second game was the beginning of the end for the South Side Hit Men that year.
I got it from a fellow collector to edit and create artwork for. I was sitting in the grandstand down the left-field line for that game as a 10-year-old. It was the high-water mark for the South Side Hit Men. It also might be the most exciting game I've ever attended. More than 50,000 squeezed into the park that day. I had a good view of Joe Zdeb's error in left in the bottom of the ninth. I've never heard Comiskey rock as hard as it did for that game.

hose
07-26-2004, 06:16 AM
Joe Zbed was a Maine South Hawk.

Dick Allen
07-26-2004, 08:37 AM
Nope, good ol' George is still alive. We use to call him the Mayor of Central St. in Evanston. He was in the 4th of July parade as per tradition.I'm glad to hear that. Maybe I was thinking of Andy the Clown.