PDA

View Full Version : What is the Matter With Carlos Lee?

RKMeibalane
09-29-2001, 12:23 AM
I don't remember the last time Carlos Lee went deep. What is wrong with him? Why isn't he hitting? I guess all of those Frank-Thomas comparisons were a bit premature.

Jerry_Manuel
09-29-2001, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I don't remember the last time Carlos Lee went deep. What is wrong with him? Why isn't he hitting? I guess all of those Frank-Thomas comparisons were a bit premature.

He hit a homer on Thursday vs. Minnesota. But it had been awhile before that.

FarWestChicago
09-29-2001, 09:46 PM
I don't remember the last time Carlos Lee went deep. September 29th.

Chisoxfn
09-29-2001, 09:47 PM
Still, He shouldn't be here next year.

FarWestChicago
09-29-2001, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Still, He shouldn't be here next year. Many people agree with you. I don't.

RKMeibalane
09-29-2001, 10:04 PM
Lee should be here in 2002. He hasn't been consistent this season at the plate, nor has he done well in the outfield, but he is a good hitter, someone the Sox need to drive in runs. Let's face it. The White Sox don't have anyone else who can play in left. Liefer is worse than Lee, and Valentin is an infielder. And Chris Singleton deserves to be shipped out. After his base-running blunder tonight, I realized that he doesn't have that much common sense. Being aggressive is one thing, but being stupid is something entirely different. Singleton acted stupid.

Chisoxfn
09-29-2001, 10:10 PM
Well in my opinion he was smart. He beat the man to 2nd and it took a perfect throw to get him, even though he looked safe to me.

Also, Chris plays some of the best centerfield in the AL and has done very good with the bat. The way I see it we have Liefer who'd hit basically right at Lee's clip if playing everyday with a ton more homers and plays better defense and provides the all important left handed bat.

Rowand can also play left and if you want a bad fielding, actual good hitting left fielder just play Canseco.

Jerry_Manuel
09-29-2001, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Also, Chris plays some of the best centerfield in the AL and has done very good with the bat. The way I see it we have Liefer who'd hit basically right at Lee's clip if playing everyday with a ton more homers and plays better defense and provides the all important left handed bat.

Rowand can also play left and if you want a bad fielding, actual good hitting left fielder just play Canseco.

Lee is having a piss poor year. He can hit .300 for a full season.
I haven't seen anything from Liefer that shows he can. I want Slowswing gone or as the 4th outfielder with Rowand in center next year. Then in 2003 Borchard in center.

RKMeibalane
09-29-2001, 10:22 PM
Liefer is not a good player. I don't care what he's done this season. The only reason he gets a chance to play is because Frank Thomas is hurt. If it weren't for Thomas' injury, Liefer would be on the bench... where he belongs. He's not big-league material. I don't understand why Manuel insists on putting him out there while leaving Joe Crede on the bench. What kind of idiot does something like that? The Sox have an excellent nucleus, but they have to build for the future so that they don't have too many problems once Thomas isn't around. We are still several years away from the retirement of the "Big Hurt," but the Sox need to start adding players who will be around after he's gone.

KempersRS
09-29-2001, 10:26 PM
Liefer is not a good player. I don't care what he's done this season.

He hasn't really done anything, unless I missed something...did I?

PutItOnTheBoard
09-29-2001, 11:22 PM
The way I see it we have Liefer who'd hit basically right at Lee's clip if playing everyday with a ton more homers and plays better defense and provides the all important left handed bat.

Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Lee is having a piss poor year. He can hit .300 for a full season.
I haven't seen anything from Liefer that shows he can.

Exactly, Jerry.

That is exactly why I think we should keep Lee. What to do with Leifer, I don't know. I would absolutely like to find a space for him if it is possible. But make no mistake, he is not a .300 hitter. Lee was the team leader in batting average up until the all-star break, hitting over .300. More importantly, he did this while having an absolutely horrendous OBP.

So, almost a third of Lee's at-bats (in the first half) resulted in hits. He had very few walks. This encourages me as, if he can improve his walk total, he has the makings of a really great hitter. Leifer's power is certainly impressive, but if there is one thing we've all been angry about it's that the Sox needed more base runners this year.

My only concern is the horrible second half Lee had. I honestly have no idea what the heck was going through his head in July and August. But lately he has been coming back around. I dunno, it just seems to me like he is basically still a very young player who is working on consistency. He strikes me as a player who WILL get better, and I would hate to give up on him now.