PDA

View Full Version : Please e-mail this person

soxrme
07-25-2004, 09:31 AM
In Sunday Trib Metro - Tribune editor Ann Marie Lipinski. " The Tribune covers the chicago cubs as it would any other local team." " The Chicago Tribune which does not own a baseball team covers the cubs as aggressively as any other sports franchise in Chicago." " Any suggestion to the contrary would come as a surprise to ur reporters and our readers."
WHAT!!:angry: :angry:

ode to veeck
07-25-2004, 10:10 AM
Good idea, but posting the email address might get a better response.

hsnterprize
07-25-2004, 10:15 AM
Ann's direct e-mail address isn't listed, but here's an e-mail addy to editors of the paper...

ctc-editor@Tribune.com

hsnterprize
07-25-2004, 10:52 AM
To Whom It May Concern,

I'm writing in response to comments made by Tribune editor Ann Marie Lipinski in regards to your paper's coverage of the Chicago Cubs in light of Mayor Daley's recent comments about Wrigley Field. In Sunday's Metro section, Ms. Lipinski said, "The Chicago Tribune, which does not own a baseball team, covers the Cubs as aggressively as any other sports franchise in Chicago."She also said, "Any suggestion to the contrary would come as a surprise to our reporters and our readers.". To such remarks, I'd like to inquire...who does she think she's trying to kid?

Maybe Ann Marie Lipinski herself isn't behind such reporting, but there are more examples of Cubs bias than I either have the time nor the space to list. There have been way too many instances where the Cubs, who ARE owned by the Tribune Company, who incidentally sign the very paychecks Ms. Lipinski receives, get far more coverage than the Cubs. And what's worse is that there have been plenty of times when the Cubs would get far more FAVORABLE coverage in the Tribune than necessary. I'll bring up one of the most infamous incidents near Wrigley Field as an example. Even though the shooting outside Wrigley Field a few months ago had nothing to do with the Cubs or Wrigley Field directly, the Tribune buried the story to near the bottom of the Metro section the day after it happened, while competing papers like the Sun Times, Daily Herald, and Daily Southtown placed the shooting either at or near the front page. Not to mention, just about all TV newscasts, including WGN (which is owned by the Tribune company, which owns the Cubs, the Chicago Tribune, CLTV, and other media outlets across the county, by the way) led off their newscasts that night with that shooting story.

Even with the falling concrete stories, why did it takes days after the incidents of falling concrete nearly hitting fans before the Tribune finally decided to write something about it? Why was there no mention about falling concrete the day after a 5-year-old boy was almost hit with a piece of the ballpark's upper deck until after all the TV news outlets mentioned something about it? Seems to me there's something suspicious gonig on over at the Tribune Tower, and it has "make the Cubs and Wrigley Field look good at all costs" written all over it.

Ms. Lipinski, I'm a news and sports reporter for both WMBI Radio and the Illinois Radio Network. I'm not someone who's not "in the know" when it comes to how newspapers want to put out the most for their buck. If you say any potential bias towards the Cubs in your paper's coverage of the team would be a "shock" to your readers, then...with all due respect, you must either be totally naive to your paper's operations, or you're living in denial. Let's face it...many members of the Chicago media know there is bias in your paper that favors the Cubs. If it weren't for the shooting outside Wrigley a few months ago, and how your paper tried to bury the story, a lot more people would still be under the "spell" of fair, unbiased reporting from your paper. Fortunately, many more people know better about your paper's parent company's connection to "all-things-Cub."

Do me a favor, Ms. Lipinski. The next time your sports editor sends reporters to Wrigley Field to cover "stories that don't exist" (Bruce Levine, guest panelist on WTTW's "Chicago Tonight" when responding to Joel Weisman's question of media bias towards the Cubs...I do not recall the exact date of the broadcast), have them report on such lovable Cubbie stories like the rowdy fans that throw trash on the field when things don't go their way, the rowdiness of people socializing around Wrigley Field before and after the game, and other "lovable" aspects of attending a Cubs game at "beautiful Wrigley Field". Of course, until recently, such stories would probably not exist because the Trib wouldn't want to make its "crown jewel" look bad in the press. Now, you editors at the Tribune have no choice but to report the story "as is". Anything less would only reveal the true spin this paper is capable of on a daily basis.

Who knows...if/when the Cubs totally collapse this season, maybe the editors will spend less time acting like they want to protect the Cubbies from their own demise, and actually report the facts about the "Cubbie myth" that has permeated the Chicago scene for way too long. Or do you need a clunk on the head from concete courtesy of Wrigley's upper deck to fully realize that?

Feel free to critique...

idseer
07-25-2004, 11:10 AM
To Whom It May Concern,

There have been way too many instances where the Cubs, who ARE owned by the Tribune Company, who incidentally sign the very paychecks Ms. Lipinski receives, get far more coverage than the Cubs. ...........

Feel free to critique...
good letter, but i hope you proof read and corected this little bit.

bigfoot
07-25-2004, 11:13 AM
Ann Marie Lipinski....

Your plane to Faux News is boarding!

Flight #24
07-25-2004, 11:14 AM
Question: Anyone remember what treatment the Trib gave the falling glass & falling ice in the Loop a year or so ago? Seems to me that this would actually be MORE dangerous since the chances of someone getting hurt if concrete fell during a game would be a lot higher than the chance of something hitting a random person on the sidwalk.

I think I already know the answer (imagine that - Wrigley problems get less coverage!), but it would be very telling to get the facts.

hsnterprize
07-25-2004, 11:22 AM
good letter, but i hope you proof read and corected this little bit.Nope...missed it. Sorry.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-25-2004, 11:25 AM
I have quite a bit to say about Ms. Lipinski in my column, to be published later today.

:cool:

MrRoboto83
07-25-2004, 11:31 AM
I wonder how the Flubune will bury the story when the entire upper deck goes down and 10,000 people die, im sure that will end up in the blotter section.

Flight #24
07-25-2004, 12:41 PM
I wonder how the Flubune will bury the story when the entire upper deck goes down and 10,000 people die, im sure that will end up in the blotter section.
"A construction and architecture-related accident that happened near a baseball game has no relation to baseball or the Cubs. As a news organization, we need to keep our focus on the REAL story - the donation of new pants to a toothless idiot who wanders around the park yelling 'Woo'".

vegyrex
07-25-2004, 12:50 PM
I wonder how the Flubune will bury the story when the entire upper deck goes down and 10,000 people die, im sure that will end up in the blotter section. What a time for a software "glitch" to happen. Trib goes down but conveniently stays down untill well after the bodies are counted and buried.
Then, after they solve their software problem, the headline will read:

WE'RE BACK
CHICAGO

They'll have full coverage.......

of their printing problems and how Chicagoans managed to survive with out them. :tongue:

itsnotrequired
07-25-2004, 03:24 PM
She is correct in stating that the Chicago Tribune doesn't own a baseball team (the Tribune Company owns both) but come on...:rolleyes:

maurice
07-26-2004, 12:15 PM
I have quite a bit to say about Ms. Lipinski in my column, to be published later today.Very nice work, PHG. :gulp:

Tekijawa
07-26-2004, 12:20 PM
More Giant Snails!

:giantsnail