PDA

View Full Version : Another trade idea

gosox41
07-25-2004, 08:07 AM
I read that the Red Sox were interested in pursing Carlos Beltran. Assuming the Sox don't get him, this would be the perfect opportunity for the Sox to make it a 3 team trade and acquire Damon or Trot Nixon. As long as Magglio is going to be out for an extended period (if not the rest of the year) it can't hurt for the Sox to acquire another proven OF hitter for the stretch run. Nixon could play RF while Everett DH's. Damon could play CF putting Rowand in right while he's still hot.

I think Damon is a FA after this year so if the Sox don't keep him around it would be worth the 2 draft picks. Nixon signed a long term deal with the Red Sox. While he is not Magglio, he would be an excellent replacement for him at 1/2 the price.

Again, Beltran would be my first choice. But assuming the Red Sox outbid the White Sox for him, I see nothing wrong with going after one of the 2 other guys the Red Sox have.

Bob

A. Cavatica
07-25-2004, 08:17 AM
The Red Sox were interested in Magglio, but they sure aren't any more. And they've signed Trot to an extension. What are you suggesting - we send prospects to Boston for Damon, Boston sends our prospects & some of theirs on to KC for Beltran?

Could work.

Flight #24
07-25-2004, 08:23 AM
The Red Sox were interested in Magglio, but they sure aren't any more. And they've signed Trot to an extension. What are you suggesting - we send prospects to Boston for Damon, Boston sends our prospects & some of theirs on to KC for Beltran?

Could work.
Man - KC would REALLY make out in that deal :)

gosox41
07-25-2004, 08:31 AM

Could work.
Exactly. It will probably cost the Sox a lot less in terms of talent and money to get Nixon or Damon then Beltran. I should have mentioned in the earlier post that the Sox still need another pitcher (preferably a starter) and would rather invest resources in Nixon/Damon + starter then just Beltran.

Of course if KW could pull of a deal for Beltran and a SP then I'd be thrilled. I just don't think they have that much talent in the minors to give up and while JR is willing to go for it, we really don't know how much money he is willing to spend on this team. He's already put $3 mill into Garcia and there were rumors that he'd give KW permission to raise payroll $5-10 mill.

Bob

Mickster
07-25-2004, 08:35 AM

Could work.
KC???:?: Isn't Beltran in Houston???

DickAllen72
07-25-2004, 11:54 AM
Boston can keep Damon.