PDA

View Full Version : Big time Sox Pride

hose
07-25-2004, 08:27 AM
Knowing that the White Sox organization is 100% sincere in trying to make a difference through White Sox Charities.

Reinsy may have his faults as a owner but in this department is about as good as they come.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_press_release.jsp?ymd=20040714&content_id=800136&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp

Brian26
07-25-2004, 12:10 PM
If you ever actually go through the Sox yearbook or one of their quarterly programs, it becomes quite apparent how devoted to charitable work and community relations this frachise is, which is very cool.

BigHurt359300
07-25-2004, 08:17 PM
Couldn't agree more. Reinsdorf has been great for charities and is as passionate about winning as anyone!

QueerGirrl
07-26-2004, 04:06 PM
I saw the story HBO's Real Sports did on the Miracle League and they gave major props to Jerry and our Sox on being the only MLB team helping to build a Miracle League field. It was a wonderful, heartwarming story (just saw it on Saturday morning) and then for them to praise JR totally made my day. I may not like how he handles the team from time to time but he'll always have my complete respect because of things like this.

hsnterprize
07-26-2004, 07:18 PM
If you ever get the chance to go into the main foyer at the Cell, you'll notice a couple of end tables surrounding some love seats in the lobby. On those end tables are some binders with a lot of pictures and letters in them. Those letters are "thank you" letters from everyone from kids to members of the Illinois Legislature and military. They're all thanking the Sox organization for being great to them and accomodating their groups/charities. These are the kinds of things that make Sox Pride so special...the fact that in spite of our team getting a lot of the "bad recognition" for various reasons, there's no disputing what's read in those binders.

I saw a story on TV not too long ago that almost brought tears to my eyes. Members of the Sox training staff went to Utica, Illinois to help kids in that town. What's special about that is their town was all but destroyed by a tornado in the late-spring. 8 people died when a building they thought they were safe in collapsed on them. Anyway, the kids were part of the town's little league program, and the Sox donated money, equipment, uniforms, and most importantly...TIME to the kids and adults in that town to help them rebuild and put some smiles on their faces.

I know bragging about yourself isn't too kosher, but it wouldn't hurt for people to see the Sox in a positive light by bringing up stories when the team/organization reaches out to help people. In the end, it'll only improve their public image, as well as create more Sox fans.

hellenicsoxfan
07-26-2004, 08:14 PM
As angry as I get sometimes with Reinsdorf about some baseball moves the Sox make, I have noticed that the Sox, as well as the Bulls, do some great things in the community and for charity. Unfortunately, this is rarely mentioned when Reinsdorf and the Sox are talked about.

ewokpelts
07-27-2004, 12:45 AM
As angry as I get sometimes with Reinsdorf about some baseball moves the Sox make, I have noticed that the Sox, as well as the Bulls, do some great things in the community and for charity. Unfortunately, this is rarely mentioned when Reinsdorf and the Sox are talked about.the fact that they dont beat thier chest about it earns some respect from me.
Gene

ewokpelts
07-27-2004, 12:46 AM
I saw the story HBO's Real Sports did on the Miracle League and they gave major props to Jerry and our Sox on being the only MLB team helping to build a Miracle League field. It was a wonderful, heartwarming story (just saw it on Saturday morning) and then for them to praise JR totally made my day. I may not like how he handles the team from time to time but he'll always have my complete respect because of things like this.miracle league?
Gene

hsnterprize
07-27-2004, 08:24 AM
miracle league?
Gene Yep...Miracle League. It's a softball league for handicapped people. It features a field made of a rubber-like material for wheelchair-bound people. It's pretty cool, and I think the Cubs have a field like it.

Blob
07-27-2004, 09:12 PM
I live in Alsip so I'll have to go see it after it's done. Looked nice from what they showed tonight during the game.

maurice
07-28-2004, 01:20 PM
It's very warming to hear that baseball is helping out in the commuinity. Unfortunately, the people who do great things don't toot their own horn, and the present media culture is too focused on the negative. When something leaks through, I think we should do our best to acknowledge it here. For example (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/281sd3.htm):

Center fielder Aaron Rowand made a special trip to Hope Children's Hospital in Oak Lawn on Tuesday afternoon to visit Brad Papala. The 15-year-old Oak Lawn native is battling a very aggressive form of cancer, and Rowand agreed to go along on his own time with Sox broadcaster Dave Wills, another Oak Lawn native. Rowand presented Papala with an autographed bat and helmet.
Props to Crash and Willsy.

Rocky Soprano
07-28-2004, 03:59 PM
Wow, this is some great stories.

Makes me extremely proud to be a Sox fan! :D:

Jerko
08-02-2004, 01:13 PM
I saw the story HBO's Real Sports did on the Miracle League and they gave major props to Jerry and our Sox on being the only MLB team helping to build a Miracle League field. It was a wonderful, heartwarming story (just saw it on Saturday morning) and then for them to praise JR totally made my day. I may not like how he handles the team from time to time but he'll always have my complete respect because of things like this.
That show depressed me when they showed those poor kids trying to run the bases through grass in their wheelchairs. When I was that age, all I DID every day during the summer was play baseball. It saddens me to think there are kids out there who could not even enjoy that in life. I am proud of the Sox for being the first team from MLB involved in this and I even made a donation to the Miracle league after seeing that HBO show. I don't know what I would have done when I was a kid if I couldn't play ball!

gosox41
08-02-2004, 01:28 PM
If you ever actually go through the Sox yearbook or one of their quarterly programs, it becomes quite apparent how devoted to charitable work and community relations this frachise is, which is very cool.

Who cares about helping others? He should be putting every last cent he has and then even more to building a World Series team.

Bob

skottyj242
08-02-2004, 01:34 PM
I grew up playing little league at those fields in Mt. Greenwood park, this is a great story I just wish they could have done it like ten years ago, those fields stunk.

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
08-02-2004, 01:59 PM
Who cares about helping others? He should be putting every last cent he has and then even more to building a World Series team.

Bob

Bob do you live in Evergreen Park?

ssidebeatdown
08-02-2004, 04:09 PM
Those miracle fields are awesome, I believe there is one right by Gordon Tech high school.