PDA

View Full Version : Piniella vs. Fisk brawl from 1976 or so

cheeses_h_rice
07-25-2004, 12:33 AM
I've never heard of this fight before, but BB2Nite has been showing a collision between Lou and Carlton that took place at Fenway in 1976, and it's hilarious -- Fisk wastes no time in starting to just pummel Piniella in his face after a tremendous collision at the plate.

Good stuff.

Baby Fisk
07-26-2004, 10:09 AM
They pulled this footage out within minutes of the Varitek-Rodriguez brawl. Fisk was, is, and always will be, THE MAN! :cool:

Railsplitter
07-26-2004, 10:16 AM
I've never heard of this fight before, but BB2Nite has been showing a collision between Lou and Carlton that took place at Fenway in 1976, and it's hilarious -- Fisk wastes no time in starting to just pummel Piniella in his face after a tremendous collision at the plate.

Good stuff.
Wasn't that the one where Bill Lee seperated his shoulder and was never the same again? Also, I thought that was a Yankee stadium and was the original Rumble in the Bronx.

Baby Fisk
07-26-2004, 10:21 AM
Wasn't that the one where Bill Lee seperated his shoulder and was never the same again? Also, I thought that was a Yankee stadium and was the original Rumble in the Bronx.It may have been the same brawl. Anyone remember who clocked the Spaceman? I missed it. Rumble in the Bronx must have been something else, because in the footage the Red Sox players are in white.

HebrewHammer
07-26-2004, 12:02 PM
Wasn't that the same brawl where Fisk choked Piniella with one hand while pummeling the next batter(Munson I believe) with the other?

LongLiveFisk
07-26-2004, 12:19 PM
They pulled this footage out within minutes of the Varitek-Rodriguez brawl. Fisk was, is, and always will be, THE MAN! :cool:
You know it, baby! :D:

jackbrohamer
07-26-2004, 01:38 PM
Sorry I missed it, I don't remember that fight at all. Piniella certainly deserved it, he was as mouthy a player as he is a manager.

Baby Fisk
07-26-2004, 01:46 PM
from baseballlibrary.com:

Thursday, May 20th

IN THE NEWS: At New York, Carl Yastrzemski clubs two homers, giving him five in two games, to tie a ML mark. Boston wins, 8–2. Boston P Bill Lee injures his arm in a fight with Yankee players, ending up on the bottom of a pile of players. Lee never really recovers from the injury. The fight starts when Lou Piniella, running on Dwight Evans, is gunned down at the plate and barrels into Fisk. Both come up swinging and both benches clear. Lee initially blames Graig Nettles for his injury but, after viewing tapes, apologizes to the Yankee 3B. Lee then blames Billy Martin for espousing a fighting style that brought the brawl on.
from NY Daily News archive:

Fight night at the Zoo #83 Classic Moment: May 20, 1976

The Yankees of the 1970s did not always fight with each other. Sometimes, they brawled with other teams.

Lou Piniella crashed into Carlton Fisk at home plate in a game against the Red Sox and knocked him over. Both players came up swinging. Both benches and bullpens quickly cleared, with Yankees third baseman Graig Nettles and Red Sox pitcher Bill Lee emerging as the principal combatants. Lee, who had won 17 games in each of the previous three seasons and helped Boston win the 1975 American League title, hurt his arm in the melee and never again approached star status. Nettles and the Yankees, although they lost the game 8-2, went on to win their first pennant in 12 years before being swept by the Cincinnati Reds in the World Series.

ClaudelSleptHere
07-26-2004, 01:53 PM
Piniella was a real Sox killer. There were a few years there where he was one of the best clutch hitters in the game, and nobody played harder.

Nick@Nite
07-26-2004, 06:59 PM
It may have been the same brawl. Anyone remember who clocked the Spaceman? I missed it. Rumble in the Bronx must have been something else, because in the footage the Red Sox players are in white.Per Bill Lee's book The Wrong Stuff, it was Mickey Rivers who sucker punched him. Also, Nettles picked up/tackled Lee during the melee, resulting in Lee landing on his shoulder. As things somewhat calmed down, Lee called Nettles a no good prick, whereby Nettles came at him again, giving him a shiner and knocking him down. It was at this point a Yankee fan came out of the stands (Ligue's dad?) and tried to assault Lee in the dugout. Lee fended him off by spiking his ass to the dugout wall.

Btw, the brawl took place at Yankee Stadium.

Also, straight from his book, Bill Lee says...
"I didn't know how badly I was hurt. I was rushed to the hospital for a preliminary examination and X-rays. I heard one doctor say that he thought I might never pitch again. That certainly did wonders for my spirits. That night, I lay in my hotel room after consuming four Demerols and seven shots of VO. I was out of my brain. I swear to God I started hallucinating. I imagined seeing George Steinbrenner coming in through my window, leading helmeted troops of Yankees into my room. George took out a magic marker and drew lines across my body, telling an aide, "Okay, you can start cutting here". The next morning, after the demons had vanished, I met the press. I told them what I thought of Steinbrenner and his goons, criticizing him and Martin for their Brown Shirt mentality. That fight was a product of the Martin influence. There's a lot of fascist in Billy's approach to the game. I'm sure he thinks Mussolini was just a nice guy whom Hitler led astray."

No wonder BoSox fans loved Bill Lee (and hated {still hate} the Yankees).

Wsoxmike59
08-16-2006, 04:42 PM
I remember getting this issue of SI in the mail when I was a teen-ager and thought that it was one pretty special cover at the time.

http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/1976/0531_large.jpg

LuvSox
08-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Varitek-Rodriguez brawl.

I missed it, was it any good?

Ziggy S
08-16-2006, 07:26 PM
I missed it(Varitek/Pay-Rod fight), was it any good?

You were lucky; it was all over the national sports news outlets (Sporting News, SI, etc.) a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly, Pay-Rod (Thanks FWC) was ticked about getting hit by Schilling (don't remember the pitcher) and Varitek punched him in the nose, poked his eyes, or both. As overhyped as the Greatest Rivalry in Sports History gets (I was hearing nothing, but promotion of the upcoming series by that MLB Genuis Steve Phillips on the ESPN broadcast of today's Tiger-Red Sox game. Of course, most of the baseball games broadcast on AFN Sport show the Red Sox or Yankees because they are the only two teams Americans care about. Seeing the White Sox win the 2nd game of the Detroit series on AFN was a rare treat, I will guaranttee you.) what Varitek brought out quite a few belly laughs from me.

Norberto7
08-16-2006, 10:58 PM
...it was all over the national sports news outlets...a couple of years ago...
Much like this thread.

:dunno:

Kub_Killer_15
08-17-2006, 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by LuvSox
I missed it(Varitek/Pay-Rod fight), was it any good?

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=822452856&n=2

You tell me?

LuvSox
08-17-2006, 07:48 AM
You were lucky; it was all over the national sports news outlets (Sporting News, SI, etc.) a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly, Pay-Rod (Thanks FWC) was ticked about getting hit by Schilling (don't remember the pitcher) and Varitek punched him in the nose, poked his eyes, or both. As overhyped as the Greatest Rivalry in Sports History gets (I was hearing nothing, but promotion of the upcoming series by that MLB Genuis Steve Phillips on the ESPN broadcast of today's Tiger-Red Sox game. Of course, most of the baseball games broadcast on AFN Sport show the Red Sox or Yankees because they are the only two teams Americans care about. Seeing the White Sox win the 2nd game of the Detroit series on AFN was a rare treat, I will guaranttee you.) what Varitek brought out quite a few belly laughs from me.

Thanks Ziggy, hope everyhing is ok over there.

Baby Fisk
08-17-2006, 08:34 AM
Much like this thread.

:dunno:
Thread necromancy is a mysterious phenomenon!