PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Park you've been to

ssidebeatdown
07-24-2004, 11:44 PM
Besides the Cell of course, what is the best stadium in your opinion in the Major Leagues to watch a game. I would have to say Bank One Ballpark in Arizona was fantastic. The atmosphere around the park was great and the stadium was just beautiful.

Viva Magglio
07-24-2004, 11:46 PM
Busch Stadium.

IA_soxfan
07-24-2004, 11:51 PM
Busch stadium. Very hard to believe that that place was once a cookie cutter style donut stadium like used to exist in pittsburg and philly. The food leaves a little bit to be desired, but the downtown setting more than makes up for it. Just a beautiful view of downtown from the stands. The fans there are also very knowlegible and in to the game. My only complaint is that I had to see the sox lose there a few years back.

Huisj
07-25-2004, 12:01 AM
Busch stadium. Very hard to believe that that place was once a cookie cutter style donut stadium like used to exist in pittsburg and philly. The food leaves a little bit to be desired, but the downtown setting more than makes up for it. Just a beautiful view of downtown from the stands. The fans there are also very knowlegible and in to the game. My only complaint is that I had to see the sox lose there a few years back.
I really really like comerica park actually. The park fits together real nicely, and the tiger theme they have is terrific. There are tiger heads and tiger statues everywhere you go, and it leaves you with no mistake of who plays there. it creates a decent atmosphere. Overall a real nice place.

I'll be going to Kauffman and Busch both for my first time later in the summer, so if either of those is better, then i guess my opinion will change, but i'm not expecting them to be better than comerica.

Kogs35
07-25-2004, 12:03 AM
kauffman. its an awesome place to see a game plus tickets are cheap to sit 10 rows from the field. they went up 5 dollars from what they where last year

HomeFish
07-25-2004, 12:04 AM
Miller Park, but I'm going down to Busch this August, so that may change if the home of the first-place Cardinals is as good as its made out to be.

39thandWallace
07-25-2004, 12:12 AM
I would rank the stadiums I've been to in my life as follows....

1. Fenway Park
2. Comiskey Park I
3. U.S. Cellular Park
4. Wrigley Field
5. Miller Park
6. Sky Dome

duke of dorwood
07-25-2004, 12:14 AM
Old County Stadium in Milwaukee-now Miller Park is outstanding

Palehose13
07-25-2004, 12:40 AM
I don't see the fascination with Miller Park, but the only other park standing that I have been to besides the Cell is Tropicana Field and that place really, really sucks. I went to Wrigley once (never again!)...is it still standing? :o:

rockfordsox
07-25-2004, 12:48 AM
The best park besides comiskey is Kaufmann followed by camden yards.

Niagara
07-25-2004, 12:49 AM
Camden Yards.

Rudy Law
07-25-2004, 12:51 AM
My Favorites were Dodger Stadium And PAC Bell in S.F.....Those ballparks just have amazing surroundings....PAC Bell right by the water is really awesome......In LA you can buy mezzanine seats on the day of the game for $6 and there great seats....Saw them beat the Cubs....

DoggPhood
07-25-2004, 12:54 AM
Coors Field is great. Good, cheap seats. Very nice ballpark. Always a homerun. :tongue:

And the RockieDogs are DELICIOUS.

But they sell Budweiser there... they sell Coors too, but it's strange to see Budweiser beer at COORS field. :gulp:

elrod
07-25-2004, 01:09 AM
I've been to Camden Yards about 30+ times and the park itself is a work of art. Absolutely gorgeous and great food to boot. But the fans stink. The Orioles are my THIRD favorite team - after the White Sox and Mets - and I was regularly the loudest fan back in 1997 when the O's went to the ALCS. The fans are so docile. They used to say it was the people from Washington that made it so tame but that's BS. I drove up from DC every week and I was louder than most of the Baltimorons. The old Memorial Stadium had a great, rednecky atmosphere where the fans were loud, obnoxious but knowledgeable. Probably like County Stadium.

The best place overall is Fenway. It has all the charm an old ballpark has (more than Tiger or Wrigley) but has the best fans anywhere. Nothing like seeing a bunch of 80-year old Irish Americans selling peanuts the same place they did in the 1930s.

munchman33
07-25-2004, 01:22 AM
PNC Park in Pittsuburgh, since its conception, has generally won every major Ballpark rating contest. And I definately don't disagree.

Parrothead
07-25-2004, 01:40 AM
My rankings

Kauffman
Cadmen
Comiskey 1
Comiskey 2
Fenway
Tiger
Turner
Busch
Pac bell (SBC)
Comerica
Jacobs
Oakland
Anaheim
Dodger
Skydome
Miller
Wrigley
County
Cleveland Stadium
Astrodome
Riverfront

kojak
07-25-2004, 01:43 AM
Pac Bell Park (I refuse to call it SBC) hands down.

Then, in order:
Comiskey II
Comiskey I
Oakland Coluseum
Kingdome
Wrigley

OurBitchinMinny
07-25-2004, 01:46 AM
The Metrodome

Ive only been to games there, old comiskey, new comiskey and the urinal. I heard SBC park in SF is the best though

skobabe8
07-25-2004, 01:58 AM
Pac Bell Park (I refuse to call it SBC) hands down.

Then, in order:
Comiskey II
Comiskey I
Oakland Coluseum
Kingdome
Wrigley

LOL...Just curios, why do u refuse to call it SBC?

hsnterprize
07-25-2004, 08:36 AM
Other than the Cell, I'd say the Oakland Alameda County Coliseum before Mount Davis was erected in center field. That place had just been vacated by the Raiders, so even though it was a somewhat-cookie cutter, it was a very nice baseball facility.

It had very beautiful kelly green seats, and atmosphere was very baseball-friendly. And I think Oakland as a whole was getting used to the Raiders not being there anymore...at least for the moment. Personally, I think both the A's and Raiders should get new places.

I've also been to County Stadium in Milwaukee. It was nice, but nothing really special to yelp about. Miller Park was still under construction at the time, and it was really looking nice. I'd like to go there someday. And yes...I've been to that joint on Clark and Addison. I respect that it's old and there's been a lot of history there, but let me say for the record what's pretty well known at this site...

WRIGLEY FIELD IS A DUMP!!!!!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-25-2004, 08:45 AM
I was at Detroit's Comerica Park earlier this season. It's the nicest of any of the new "retro" ballparks built the last 15 years. It's what New Comiskey should have been when it was built.

Huge scoreboard.
Bronze statues to its stars in centerfield.
Wide concourses with view of the action, 360 degrees around the field.
Large outfield.
Lots of concessions, though the Cell still has better ones.

They even have an amusement park set up along the left field line, complete with carousel featuring snarling Tigers. Detroit basically stole Old Comiskey's legacy right out from under the Sox's nose.

cubhater
07-25-2004, 08:58 AM
My two favorites are Pittsbugh's PNC and Detroit's Comerica. Not a bad seat in either place and fantastic views of downtown. PNC has a small riverwalk area in back of RF just like San Fran but I don't think any player has reached it yet. The outside of Comerica is cool with Tiger claws and heads sticking out from the walls. And a great food court!

Miller Park is nice. Plenty of parking and I love the aroma of cinnamon rolls and roasted nuts in left field.

Anaheim is nice with the rock formation and waterfall in center field. They have a great kids section under the stands behind right field. But their fans are too quiet, only time they cheer is when they score. Guess it must be the laid-back Southern Cal lifestyle.

Blob
07-25-2004, 10:03 AM
I haven't been to many ballparks. But I did like Turner Field. I like the way you entered the main concourse at ground level from the outfield. Went up to the their stadium club. That was a big disappointment the food up there is not half as good as the Cell's. But the field in and of itself was pretty nice.

Also went to go see where Hank Aarons record setting home run had hit they have it makred, that was nice. It's now a part of their parking lot just like our old home plate is.

The Critic
07-25-2004, 10:16 AM
I enjoyed Bank One Ballpark very much - it's kinda boxy, like Miller Park, but it had a fun feeling to it, and I had a great time.
Of the few other parks I've seen, I enjoyed Busch Stadium the least. The place is kinda dumpy, IMO, and I'm looking forward to their new ballpark in 2006 or 07.

My ranking of parks I've seen:
USCF
Comiskey Classic
Bank One Ballpark
Miller Park
Wrigley
County Stadium
Busch

Wish list of parks I'd like to see:
Coors Field
Camden Yards
Fenway Park
Petco Park
New Cardinals Stadium

zamboni
07-25-2004, 10:22 AM
Minute Maid Park in Houston is a great place to watch a game. Actually, both Texas stadiums are nice because I was really impressed with the Ballpark at Arlington (or whatever it is called now) when I was there.

Tragg
07-25-2004, 10:24 AM
I used to really enjoy watching games in the Astrodome- it was really the oly domed stadium worth a dam for baseball

Ufortuately, at 35 years old, it was really outmoded. But certainly better for baseball than the kingdome or the superdome (which is far and away the best full dome ever built).

SoxFanSince67
07-25-2004, 10:55 AM
Bank One has been the best I've been to in the past few years. Absolute worse had to be Candlestick followed by the Oakland. The Ball Park at Arlington is nice.

kojak
07-25-2004, 11:11 AM
LOL...Just curios, why do u refuse to call it SBC?
Cause I'm an idiot! :tongue:

Actually, I just resent all of this name changing stuff.

kingpin_rcs
07-25-2004, 11:28 AM
I made it up to Safeco this year to see the Sox (they lost 4-2). That is a pretty cool place. During the game they closed the roof - that was a cool thing to watch.

Mariner fans are a bit "cubbish" to me. It's just cool to be at "The Safe" regardless of how well the team is playing but the M's had been a pretty good team for the past 4 years or so.

Also, after all those years in the cement bunker known as the Kingdome (good riddance), it's probably just nice to go see a game outside (even when the roof is closed!) in a state of the art facility.

The staff and fans are pretty friendly. Me, my wife and my son were all wearing sox stuff and we got a few friendly jabs. I fully expected it and frankly I would have been a little disappointed if we didn't get a few. It was all good natured and we had a good time with it. It would have been better if the Sox had won of course.

Years ago my brother and I saw Carlton Fisk hit a homer at Royals Stadium (pre renaming to Kaufman, pre Grass). That homer tied him with Johnny Bench for most homers by a catcher. Sox lost 5-1. Royals fans at the time were jerks although they did give #72 a standing O for his accomplishment. My brother and I knew what he had done before they put it up on the scoreboard. We were standing and cheering and everyone around us thought we were being a llitte over the top until they saw the message on the scoreboard.

Max Power
07-25-2004, 12:03 PM
I really like Miller Park. Spacious concourses, great food, good ticket prices, all the windows, hot ball girls, and their unique traditions like the Sausage race and Bernie Brewer. Plus it's close enough to Chicago to be able to drive up anytime.
I'm going to Philly in August and that place looks like it could top Miller. I need to get out to more stadiums like other people on here.

Palehose13
07-25-2004, 01:09 PM
I really like Miller Park. Spacious concourses, great food, good ticket prices, all the windows, hot ball girls, and their unique traditions like the Sausage race and Bernie Brewer. Plus it's close enough to Chicago to be able to drive up anytime.
I'm going to Philly in August and that place looks like it could top Miller. I need to get out to more stadiums like other people on here.

Owo...once again the love fest for Miller. IMO, I feel like I am walking through a maze. I don't like the central location for the concessions cause if your seats aren't behind home plate on the lower level, you miss out. The upper deck is just as steep (if not steeper than comiskey). I also feel that the seats on the upper levels are too fatr from the field. When the roof is open, I feel like you wanted to buy a convertible car, but bought one with a sunroof...I don't feel "outside" enough. I'm not saying it is a bad park, cause I keep going (cause I live here), but I think Comiskey is much better than Miller Park (except for when it rains). Maybe I'm just biased.

I really want to go to SBC (PacBell) and Camden Yards.

Nick@Nite
07-25-2004, 01:23 PM
I've only been to a few MLB parks (or places that played MLB) through the years, but I'm definitely trying to play catch-up.

Here's my list so far;
1985 - Atlanta Fulton County Stadium
1987 - Mile High Stadium
1992 - US Cellular Field
1996 - Wrigley Field
2003/04 - Kauffman Stadium
2004 - Busch Stadium

My list will expand next year for sure;
2005 - Camden Yards
2005 - Washington DC/Northern VA (coming soon?)

Taking out my one time visit to the Cell 12 years ago(all I remember is squinting trying to see Frank's shot that almost landed on the concourse in left... and Brady Anderson playing as if he was Willie Mays) Kauffman Stadium is easily the most fan friendly place I've been to for watching a game. The concessions are all on the concourse, and you can easily keep up with the action if standing in line (TV's most everywhere) or walking around (which I like doing).

My only (minor) complaint about the K is that they don't allow access behind center field. So, when the place is full, walking along the concourse from left to right is a pain because of the sea of human traffic one must negotiate. I've always wondered why they don't build a controlled walk-way behind center field. That would relieve some of the people congestion behind home plate. An enclosed chain linked fence of some type would do the trick, so nobody would fall into the fountains and drown.

Even though a walk-way would go behind the score board, the few spots one could view the action would be interesting. And most importantly, going from one end of the stadium to another would be much easier.

ode to veeck
07-25-2004, 01:26 PM
I prefer the older ballparks, with lots of seats closer to the game, with older Comiskey at the top of the list. As a kid, I used to love the first rows in upper deck from 1st to 3rd; it was a grea place to heckle the opposition from.

Candlestick was the pits, and last on my list, 1st rows of seats in 2nd deck behind the plate were about 50 yds from home plate, pathetic.

Uncle_Patrick
07-25-2004, 01:31 PM
Miller Park is a lot of fun, especially if you like tailgating. Pac Bell (or SBC or whatever) is also fantistic.

jenmcm76
07-25-2004, 02:32 PM
I made it up to Safeco this year to see the Sox (they lost 4-2). That is a pretty cool place. During the game they closed the roof - that was a cool thing to watch.

Mariner fans are a bit "cubbish" to me. It's just cool to be at "The Safe" regardless of how well the team is playing but the M's had been a pretty good team for the past 4 years or so.

Agreed! I live in Oregon, so the last few Sox games I've seen have been at Safeco. It's a really nice park, and they have a good food selection - if you can get past the sushi, that is. :smile:

One thing that bugged me about the fans was when Olerud came to bat, they did the "Ole, Ole" chant the Sox fans use for Jose Valentin. I know Olerud starts with an O-L-E, but using this Hispanic-flavored cheer for one of the whitest guys in MLB cracked me up!

Clembasbal
07-25-2004, 02:41 PM
I would rank the stadiums I've been to in my life as follows....

1. Fenway Park
2. Comiskey Park I
3. U.S. Cellular Park
4. Wrigley Field
5. Miller Park
6. Sky Dome
I hope that you have only gone to 6 stadiums to put Sky Dome there. That place is terrible, and so was Three Rivers...you can only see from a handful of seats...mainly behind home plate and in the atmosphere (where you really can't see anyway).

Camden Yards is by far the best park, best feeling, best views, best food! Miller Park is awesome, when you buy a Uker Seat for cheap as heck and move closer, Busch Stadium's parking is like $3 or $5 dollars (sweet deal), Fenway is neat with so much stuff to go around and do, and Wrigley has a great baseball atmopshere (pre-2003).

But Minor League Stadiums are also cool as hell, and where the Gary Railcats play is a great park, and you can get seats for almost nothing. Spring Training Stadiums are nice, HoHoKam is nice and so is Hi Corboett...but Tempe Diablo Sucks.

There are so many good staiums, I think it is easier to point out the bad ones.

chisoxfan79
07-25-2004, 05:52 PM
I went and saw the Sox play in Atlanta two years ago I thought they had a nice field with a Braves Museum inside, a nice restaurant and in the parking lot they kept part of the wall where Hank Aaron hit is 715th HR. The only bad part of the weekend is The Sox got there butts handed to them all weekend.

SaltyPretzel
07-25-2004, 06:47 PM
Haven't been to PNC yet, so I'd have to say Safeco followed closely by Camden Yards.

BigHurt359300
07-25-2004, 08:15 PM
The best park I've seen is Safeco in Seattle. Modern stadium and great sight lines. Perhaps Miller Park second. My favorite of course, is Comiskey because the Sox play there. Great improvements have been made in the last few years. By the way Comiskey Park I was basically a dump, especially in the last few years.

Bisco Stu
07-25-2004, 08:21 PM
No park comes close to Pac Bell.

Dick Allen
07-25-2004, 10:56 PM
My favorite is Minute Maid, I love all the little nooks and crannies there, great concessions too. Camden Yards is also a great place, I've seen the Sox there about 8 times. Miller Park and Bank One are nice, but not as good as Minute Maid and Camden Yards.

dividedsk717
07-25-2004, 11:09 PM
My list of stadiums I've been:

1. Yankee Stadium
2. Great American Ball Park in Cincy
3. The Cell
4. Riverfront Stadium
5. The Urinal
6. Kaufman Stadium
7. Metrodome <- Will always be last.

Here's to Joe Crede for the winning my bachelor party game at the Cell on Saturday! :supernana: :gulp: :bandance:

Max Power
07-26-2004, 12:27 AM
Owo...once again the love fest for Miller. IMO, I feel like I am walking through a maze. I don't like the central location for the concessions cause if your seats aren't behind home plate on the lower level, you miss out. The upper deck is just as steep (if not steeper than comiskey). I also feel that the seats on the upper levels are too fatr from the field. When the roof is open, I feel like you wanted to buy a convertible car, but bought one with a sunroof...I don't feel "outside" enough. I'm not saying it is a bad park, cause I keep going (cause I live here), but I think Comiskey is much better than Miller Park (except for when it rains). Maybe I'm just biased.

I guess I just had a really good first experience at Miller Park. I'm sure after a few more trips I'll notice some of the bad things about it.
I sat in the bleachers so I just had to go in the gate and up a flight of stairs to get to the seats, which I thought was much nicer than having the ramps outside the stadium like at Comiskey. Also, the only domes I've been in (Kingdome and RCA Dome) were really dark and drab, so the windows at Miller really brightened it up and there was a nice breeze through the stands as well.
I would agree that Comiskey has many advantages over Miller, primarily that the Sox play there. :D:

doublem23
07-26-2004, 01:09 AM
Aside from the sticky, mid-summer Midwestern weather, Busch Stadium was really nice. Although, I didn't like the parking set-up there. I have heard some say that they did not encounter the same problem I had, but the parking lot I was in basically unloaded right onto a large avenue, which made getting out of that place a complete disaster, as cars tried to get out and compete with traffic, which was still relatively heavy.

Anyway, I have also been to Wrigley, Camden Yards, Fenway Park, and old County Stadium in Milwaukee. County Stadium was great, I loved it. Camden's all right, but overrated, IMO. Wrigley and Fenway were both pretty crappy experiences, considering the hype.

maurice
07-26-2004, 01:32 PM
I concurr with the positive reviews for Comerica. It's an outstanding venue and particularly kid-friendly.

Most of the parks I've been to are the older, crappy variety, which was a good experience in its own right. I look forward to visiting some of the newer parks, perhaps including a three-day tour of Jacob's Field, PNC, and the Great American Ballpark this summer.

PINWHEELS
07-26-2004, 02:41 PM
No park comes close to Pac Bell.Agreed! I Was there for the first time this year, and the park is absolutely flawless!

Basebalalldatime
07-26-2004, 07:35 PM
Us Cellular

Go Sox!:Rocker: :Rocker: :Rocker: :Rocker: :Rocker:

:supernana: :dtroll: :supernana:

gosox3072
07-26-2004, 07:39 PM
I will always love comiskey, but Miller Park is awesome

bigdommer
07-26-2004, 07:58 PM
My favorite growing up was Comiskey I and II (I still have a career batting average over .500 at Comiskey II).

Then I moved to Maryland and fell in love with Camden Yards, inside and out. Changed the face of the modern ballpark.

Then, last year on my birthday, while visiting my girlfriend in New England, she surprised me with Red Sox tickets. I had been there once before, and even got to walk on the field, but no game. This time, we walked to a Sunday day game from our hotel, about a 15 minute walk. We thought were close 5 minutes in, because we saw people on every block wearing jerseys and caps and talking about the game. They weren't even going to the game, they were just fans. Then we got to the park. I walked under the monster seats. It was cool being on the street, under the seats, knowing that only a wall separated me from left field. The game was great, the atmosphere was incredible. My dream is to go to Fenway to see my Sox battle the Red Sox.

It was amazing how much different Fenway is than Wrigley.

bigdommer
07-26-2004, 07:59 PM
Oh, I also want to go to PNC Park in Pittsburgh. I am just worried I wouldn't like it because I would be only one of a couple hundred people there. I hope the Sox play there next year - I will make that road trip.

na_na_na_na
07-27-2004, 02:32 PM
I'm heading to Comerica this weekend.

It's the only park I actually wish the sox had instead of the cell.

One great feature is the Large Beer. It's Awesome

Sox Mobile
07-27-2004, 03:37 PM
Camden Yards is a little piece of heaven. No tailgating is the only downside.

chisoxfan24
07-28-2004, 10:14 AM
Miller Park, but I'm going down to Busch this August, so that may change if the home of the first-place Cardinals is as good as its made out to be.
I went to Busch on the 4th of July. It took FOREVER to WALK out. They only had three exits open b/c of the construction. Other than that I loved it!:D: