PDA

View Full Version : Konerko = AL MVP ?

HITMEN OF 77
07-24-2004, 10:38 PM
OK, let's just suppose this for a second. Konerko is having a great year. IF he were to finish the season batting around .290 with 35-40 HR's and 100+ RBI's which all are feasible he has A chance at being AL MVP. My question is though, how many guys have won the MVP award and not made the All Star team that same season?

ssidebeatdown
07-24-2004, 10:40 PM
My question is though, how many guys have won the MVP award and not made the All Star team that same season?
Not sure on the answer to that one but one of them should have been Frank Thomas if Jason Giambi didn't rob him of the MVP a few years back.

Aidan
07-24-2004, 10:41 PM
He may have a chance but you've got to remember two guys that are having MONSTER years for the Red Sox... David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez.

soltrain21
07-24-2004, 10:43 PM
He may have a chance but you've got to remember two guys that are having MONSTER years for the Red Sox... David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez.

Of course they won't take in the fact that two of our most productive players went down and Konerko is stepping up HUGE for us..

Thunderstruck30
07-25-2004, 12:39 AM
I highly doubt Konerko will even finish in the top 10 in MVP voting. There are alot of guys that deserve it, Vlad, Pudge, Manny...

BigEdWalsh
07-25-2004, 12:44 AM
I highly doubt Konerko will even finish in the top 10 in MVP voting. There are alot of guys that deserve it, Vlad, Pudge, Manny...
True. But so often where a player's team finishes plays big in MVP voting. So, Konerko while he probably wouldn't win oughta get himself some votes.

cbrownson13
07-25-2004, 12:50 AM
My question is though, how many guys have won the MVP award and not made the All Star team that same season?
Terry Pendleton of the Braves in '91 won the MVP and didn't make the All-Star team.

elrod
07-25-2004, 12:53 AM
Pudge would have to be a contender considering his numbers and his role in turning the Tigers around from last year.

jabrch
07-25-2004, 12:57 AM
Assuming Pudge doesn't completely fall off the face of the earth, he should win it this year. For a catcher, his numbers are absolutely CRAZY.

owensmouth
07-25-2004, 01:27 AM
I highly doubt Konerko will even finish in the top 10 in MVP voting. There are alot of guys that deserve it, Vlad, Pudge, Manny...Besides, he being paid too much, is bound to revert to a sub .220 average, should be traded for a bag of balls, and replaced at first base by Ross Gload. Oh yeah, he grounds into too many double plays, killing the offense. Oh yeah, he's a cancer of the clubhouse.

Whitesox029
07-25-2004, 01:35 AM
All I have to say to this question is:
Yes.

That said, I'd like to point out that, as recently as April, a large contingency of WSIers was in favor of trading PK "while he still had value." Now we're debating whether he's the MVP. Think we should have traded him? Think we should never have traded for him in the first place?

Mike Cameron: .228 avg., 39 RBI, 16 HR :?:
Paul Konerko: .290 avg., 66 RBI, 25 HR :cool:

115 RBI and 40+ HR isn't such a bad pace, is it?

I rest my case.

fquaye149
07-25-2004, 01:47 AM
Yes.

That said, I'd like to point out that, as recently as April, a large contingency of WSIers was in favor of trading PK "while he still had value." Now we're debating whether he's the MVP. Think we should have traded him? Think we should never have traded for him in the first place?

I rest my case.
but, but DEFENSE. ..so important. . .sputter sputter sputter.

munchman33
07-25-2004, 04:24 AM
Yes.

I rest my case.
A first basemen winning an MVP award with only 115 rbi's? I don't think so. Maybe a second basemen, but first basemen should get 130-140 to be considered, unless its a really slow year.

inta
07-25-2004, 06:26 AM
there's no way in hell PK deserves MVP of the AL... or even the white sox.

I'm not going to look at stats, but i've seen way too many games where PK has left RISP with a wiff or a popout. his numbers aren't MVP level in my book.

Shingo deserves MVP more than PK does.
Frank was having an MVP year before stupid freakin' interleague play benched him and now he's hurt...

I-rod all the way for MVP.

Brian26
07-25-2004, 11:13 AM
Pudge would have to be a contender considering his numbers and his role in turning the Tigers around from last year.
His average right now is amazing, isn't it? Something like .362?

Daver
07-25-2004, 11:14 AM
Pudge is retired and has a job in the Red Sox front office.

Flight #24
07-25-2004, 11:19 AM
Frank was having an MVP year before stupid freakin' interleague play benched him and now he's hurt...

Although that injury (or at least his decline in performance) strangely coincided with that short stretch where he did play the field. And IIRC, he sat out the Expos series because of a sore ankle, no?

Possibly another reason why he hasn't seen 1B more than he does despite the #s being a lot nicer when he plays the field. With his size, moving around in the field must put a lot of stress on those ankles.

ode to veeck
07-25-2004, 11:48 AM
Pudge is retired and has a job in the Red Sox front office
LOL Daver, I didn't know he was working for the wrong sox, thought he was still in the Chicago area

Daver
07-25-2004, 11:50 AM
LOL Daver, I didn't know he was working for the wrong sox, thought he was still in the Chicago area
He still lives here, but he is a vice president for the BoSox.

Deadguy
07-25-2004, 02:22 PM
Although that injury (or at least his decline in performance) strangely coincided with that short stretch where he did play the field. And IIRC, he sat out the Expos series because of a sore ankle, no?
Frank's injury occurred on June 17th, which was the result of being hit by a line drive in the ankle while running the bases. It had nothing to do with playing first base. That was in Florida, before the Montreal series. He sat out most of the Montreal series because of that injury, although I have no idea why they were calling it a "sprained ankle", since those ussually don't occur as the result of getting hit by a linedrive.

Whitesox029
07-25-2004, 03:10 PM
but, but DEFENSE. ..so important. . .sputter sputter sputter.In response to you:
Mike Cameron: 5 E in 85 games
Paul Konerko: 4 E in 89 games
there's no way in hell PK deserves MVP of the AL... or even the white sox.

I'm not going to look at stats, but i've seen way too many games where PK has left RISP with a wiff or a popout. his numbers aren't MVP level in my book.

Shingo deserves MVP more than PK does.

I-rod all the way for MVP. And to you:

Paul Konerko with RISP: .311 avg, 45 RBI

Not gonna get too much better than that.

MisterB
07-25-2004, 03:48 PM
Paul Konerko with RISP: .311 avg, 45 RBI

Not gonna get too much better than that.AL w/RISP:
M Tejada .314 avg 65 rbi
V Martinez .330 62
T Hafner .295 58
V Guerrero .342 57
J Guillen .370 57
C Guillen .306 56
D Ortiz .324 55
M Sweeney .337 54
G Sheffield .330 50
I Rodriguez .398(!) 49
M Ramirez .330 48
H Blalock .337 47
P Konerko .311 45

MarkEdward
07-25-2004, 05:51 PM
The article is a bit old, but here's a list of those that won the MVP award without going to the All-Star game:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/statitudes/facethefacts/news/1999/07/07/allstar_snubs/

I think the AL MVP race will be between Ramirez, Guerrero, and Ivan Rodriguez (Mora should definitely be here, but I don't think the writers will give him much love). And unless either Ramirez or Vlad have two amazing months to push their teams into the playoffs, I can totally see Rodriguez winning it.

On another note, it's odd to see baseball's three best players are playing in the NL this year (Bonds, Pujols, and Drew). If either Pujols or Drew played in the AL, they'd easily win the MVP.

Oh, and now's a good time to mention Barry Bonds' 2004 line: .362/.613/.769, .463 EQA! For reference, Manny Ramirez is second in EQA at .346. The guy's amazing.

Yomarei
07-25-2004, 06:56 PM
In response to you:
Mike Cameron: 5 E in 85 games
Paul Konerko: 4 E in 89 games

Can we please stop judging defense by fielding %, especially when it comes to OF....maybe? We're in 21st century, right?

Cameron is in all kinds of funks right now, but at his best he was a Gold Glover in CF. Konerko is a mediocre-fielding 1B. Defensively, this is no comparion. None.

RKMeibalane
07-25-2004, 09:38 PM
Pudge is retired and has a job in the Red Sox front office.
They're talking about the Pudge wannabe that plays in Detroit.

Daver
07-25-2004, 09:57 PM
They're talking about the Pudge wannabe that plays in Detroit.
There is only one pudge.

Basebalalldatime
07-25-2004, 10:20 PM
I would have to say maybe. If he doesn't get hurt or hopefully not crap out.

Go Sox

Scrubies suck :Rocker: :Rocker: :Rocker: :wired: :thumbsup: :duel:

:supernana: :dtroll: :supernana: