PDA

View Full Version : Mayor Rips Tribune Company Again Saturday

Lip Man 1
07-24-2004, 09:17 PM
From the Tribune web site. This story is in sports. Here are two selected quotes.

"Daley also has been critical of the Chicago Tribune on the issue. "If this took place in Soldier Field, the Tribune would have headlines," he said Saturday. "If this took place inside White Sox Park, they would be tearing Jerry Reinsdorf's head off. If this took place at the United Center, they would be doing the same thing."

"Chicago Tribune Editor Ann Marie Lipinski said the newspaper covers the Chicago Cubs as it would any other local team. "The Chicago Tribune, which does not own a baseball team, covers the Cubs as aggressively as any other sports franchise in Chicago," she said. "Any suggestion to the contrary would come as a surprise to our reporters and our readers."

I'm sure Hangar has something to say about this! LOL

Lip

dickallen15
07-24-2004, 09:30 PM
From the Tribune web site. This story is in sports. Here are two selected quotes.

"Daley also has been critical of the Chicago Tribune on the issue. "If this took place in Soldier Field, the Tribune would have headlines," he said Saturday. "If this took place inside White Sox Park, they would be tearing Jerry Reinsdorf's head off. If this took place at the United Center, they would be doing the same thing."

"Chicago Tribune Editor Ann Marie Lipinski said the newspaper covers the Chicago Cubs as it would any other local team. "The Chicago Tribune, which does not own a baseball team, covers the Cubs as aggressively as any other sports franchise in Chicago," she said. "Any suggestion to the contrary would come as a surprise to our reporters and our readers."

LipSomeone should ask Ms. Lipinski why the story is front page news in every area newspaper, but is buried on page 8 of the metro section, as a second part of an article about something else on page 1 of the same section. The Tribune thinks the latest goings on of William Ligue is more of a story, and trying to tie what he does now to the Sox, then reporting a story which ultimately could take someone's life. Its too bad the editor of their paper is so out of touch with its readers. I doubt there is anyone, Cub fans included, who think they cover the teams equally. Even a murder across the street from the same park was buried, until pressure from media and the public forced them to report it responsibly. Its funny, now its on the front page, with pictures of workers examining it, trying to show the Cubs are making sure its safe. Its too bad it took 3 incidents to get these guys to examine it. What kind of spin would they put on it if it had to be shut down?

TornLabrum
07-24-2004, 10:52 PM
Someone should ask Ms. Lipinski why the story is front page news in every area newspaper, but is buried on page 8 of the metro section, as a second part of an article about something else on page 1 of the same section. The Tribune thinks in more of a story on the latest goings on of William Ligue, and trying to tie what he does now to the Sox, then reporting a story which ultimately could take someone's life. Its too bad the editor of their paper is so out of touch with its readers. I doubt there is anyone, Cub fans included, who think they cover the teams equally. Even a murder across the street from the same park was buried, until pressure from media and the public forced them to report it responsibly. Its funny, now its on the front page, with pictures of workers examining it, trying to show the Cubs are making sure its safe. Its too bad it took 3 incidents to get these guys to examine it. What kind of spin would they put on it if it had to be shut down?
They'd have a front page headline screaming,
"Dewey Wins!"

ode to veeck
07-24-2004, 11:05 PM
I love it, Hangar's finally got some political clout behind his accurate accusations. The Trib's got egg on their face, er, that is on page 9 of the metro section according to them.

beckett21
07-24-2004, 11:31 PM
Time to trot this tag out:

:giantsnail

(I sure hope those snails are hungry!) :cool:

gosox41
07-25-2004, 08:57 AM

Lip
Does Hangar have those stats about # of articles in the Trib? E-mail them in to Ms. Lipinski so she could eat her words.

While you're at it, maybe Ms. Lipinski shold be asked:

1. What happened to the 100 game win count the Trib was doing. I couldn't figure out why they stopped it.

2. Prior was hurt again, why no 'Prior Watch'

3. When the Sox lose their 2 best hitters for an extended period of time, wheres the 'Magglio and Frank Watch'

Bob

TornLabrum
07-25-2004, 10:18 AM
3. When the Sox lose their 2 best hitters for an extended period of time, wheres the 'Magglio and Frank Watch'

Bob
Because no one cares about the White Sox. Just ask anyone in the media!

fquaye149
07-25-2004, 10:50 AM
Because no one cares about the White Sox. Just ask anyone in the media!
or the 38,050 there last night :)

Flight #24
07-25-2004, 11:54 AM

Bob
The best question of all. Let's see.....the best 2 hitters from a first place team (that also happens to be the WC leader)... They're also 2 of the best hitters and biggest names in the game... With those 2 hitters healthy, that same first place team is one of the WS favorites.....Nah, not worth any running updates on their status....

I'm sure the response would be along the lines of: "We realized after the fact that the Prior watch was kind of ludicrous, so we've suspended any such running stories. Until/unless of course, the Messiah goes out for another indefinite stretch...."

I know it wasnt the same paper, but the fact that one of the 2 major journals in town would print the words "on the wrong side of town" in reference to a first place team FROM THEIR OWN CITY is all the proof I need of any bias.