PDA

View Full Version : Ron Santo

DoggPhood
07-24-2004, 05:42 PM
Is anyone else tired of Ron Santo? I feel like I can't turn on the TV without seeing a commercial w/ him. He's everywhere. Who gives a ____ about this guy? I can't stand his broadcasts. He needs to take the marbles out of his mouth.

1951Campbell
07-24-2004, 06:24 PM
:santo

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!"

WSox8404
07-24-2004, 07:38 PM
:santo

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!"
What game was that? He said, I think, Oh no he dropped the ball, he dropped the ball!!!! Was that game 6 of the NLCS when A-Gon made the error?

SOXPHILE
07-24-2004, 11:21 PM
Ron Santo is an absolute tool. Both he, and the 3 headed monster of the Cubs/WGN/Tribune try to sell him off or portray him as just this sweet older man, who used to play for the Chubbies, and now, gosh darn it, he just wants to see them win ! This is the year ! They and the stupid masses of Cub Nation just love it, they eat it up, thinking, like the Chubbies, he's sooo cute with his exclamations, and OHHHH NOOOO's. In case anybody didn't know, here's a few things about lovable ol Ron:

1) The famous Don Young incident- the young rookie muffed a couple of chances in the field, costing the Cubs the game. Santo proceeded to lay into the kid afterword, yelling at him, calling him bush league etc. Basically ruining him. The kicker is, shortly thereafter, Santo himself commited a costly error in a Cubs loss, and when asked about it, dismissed any criticism, saying hey, he's only human.

2) Also, during his days with the Cubs, Santo got into a physical altercation with manager Leo Durocher. Picture it, a young player in his late 20's picking a fight with a 70 something year old man. Santo even mentioned it a few years ago during a Cubs broadcast, chuckling about it, saying how proud he was of Durocher, he put up a good fight and not giving in. Yeah, your a real class act Ron.

3) We all know Santo used to click his heels after a Cubs win. Remember, this was before the days of athletes chest thumping, pointing to the sky, or pulling cell phones out of end zones to make a call. Needless to say, most players who played against him thought he was a piece of crap and a hot dog for doing that. He won himself alot of enemies back then, including many of his own team mates. Mets manager Gil Hodges once yelled at him before a game that he was bush league, and a jackass,among other things for doing the heel clicks. Santo, like an idiot, let it get to him, and got all upset about it. Something to think about next time people are wondering why the veterans committee won't vote him into the Hall of Fame.

4) A story I just heard recently was during his White Sox days, he hit an inside the park homerun in which the outfielder on the opposing team ran into the wall and got hurt. Everybody ran out to see if he was o.k., as Santo was crossing the plate. The mood was subdued, because of the injury, but lovable Ronnie was upset that no one was greeting him at the plate and celebrating with him. I also heard that he confronted Dick Allen about something, Allen tried to walk away, but Santo kept after him like the annoying idiot he is. Allen apparently turned around, and knocked him out.

So Ronnie, you're a real great guy.

C-Dawg
07-25-2004, 12:56 AM
I feel bad for the guy due to his health problems, but he is LONG past his coherent days as a broadcaster. They probably need to find an off-the-air position for him, if its that important to keep him on the payroll.

I've been working on an impression of him:

Ron: "You know, speaking of the Cardinals, they gave us ALL sorts of trouble in 1969. I remember once when we won the opening game but it took 12 innings....."

Pat: "Uh, Ron, not to inturrupt, but that was just Ball Four to Alou..."

Ron: "Then in Game Two I went 0-for-4 against Bob Gibson..."

Pat: "Bouncer into left; Alou holds up at Second..."

Ron: "So then in Game Three, I knew I had to make some adjustments. I laid off the first pitch every time up, and, uh, I think I was 0-for-4 again... No, wait, that was against Bob Gibson... Uh, am I still talking about Game Two?"

Pat: "BIG swing and a miss by Sammy Sosa..."

Ron: "Oh now I remember.... We faced Tom Seaver in Game Three. I had a leadoff double but then he retired me each time after that..."

Pat: "Called strike two... Oh, and Seaver was still on the Mets in 1969..."

Ron: "Yeah thats what I said. The Mets gave us ALL sorts of trouble that year..."

Whitesox029
07-25-2004, 01:49 AM
Is anyone else tired of Ron Santo? I feel like I can't turn on the TV without seeing a commercial w/ him. He's everywhere. Who gives a ____ about this guy? I can't stand his broadcasts. He needs to take the marbles out of his mouth.My dad and I have been saying the same thing for years. I cannot stand to listen to Cubs broadcasts, TV or radio. I really don't mind Pat Hughes, but Santo's voice drives me insane, and he acts like a fan at the game (OhhhNOOOO!!!). No professionalism whatsoever. He's only holding that job because if the Cubs fired him their front office men would be lynched.

FightingBillini
07-25-2004, 02:46 AM
I feel bad for the guy due to his health problems, but he is LONG past his coherent days as a broadcaster. They probably need to find an off-the-air position for him, if its that important to keep him on the payroll.

I've been working on an impression of him:

Ron: "You know, speaking of the Cardinals, they gave us ALL sorts of trouble in 1969. I remember once when we won the opening game but it took 12 innings....."

Pat: "Uh, Ron, not to inturrupt, but that was just Ball Four to Alou..."

Ron: "Then in Game Two I went 0-for-4 against Bob Gibson..."

Pat: "Bouncer into left; Alou holds up at Second..."

Ron: "So then in Game Three, I knew I had to make some adjustments. I laid off the first pitch every time up, and, uh, I think I was 0-for-4 again... No, wait, that was against Bob Gibson... Uh, am I still talking about Game Two?"

Pat: "BIG swing and a miss by Sammy Sosa..."

Ron: "Oh now I remember.... We faced Tom Seaver in Game Three. I had a leadoff double but then he retired me each time after that..."

Pat: "Called strike two... Oh, and Seaver was still on the Mets in 1969..."

Ron: "Yeah thats what I said. The Mets gave us ALL sorts of trouble that year..."
HAHAHAHAHAHA. Dead on.

cubhater
07-25-2004, 08:42 AM
What game was that? He said, I think, Oh no he dropped the ball, he dropped the ball!!!! Was that game 6 of the NLCS when A-Gon made the error?
That call is from a game at Milwaukee's Old County Stadium when the Scrubs were trying to blow their chances at a playoff spot. Brant Brown dropped a routine fly ball which capped a three or four run ninth inning for a Brewer's win. I was at that game, sitting two rows in the bleachers in back of Brown and LMAO.

Leaving the game, I told my buddy that I wish I heard Santo's call of the play. Now's it's a local classic!:D:

misty60481
07-25-2004, 09:34 AM
Ron Santo is only there for one reason to get enough publicity to get more votes for hall of fame, if he dont make it expect a crying jag you can hear across Lake Michigan

Mickster
07-25-2004, 10:06 AM
What game was that? He said, I think, Oh no he dropped the ball, he dropped the ball!!!! Was that game 6 of the NLCS when A-Gon made the error?Brant Brown dropping fly ball in LF playing Brewers in '98.

JB98
07-25-2004, 12:13 PM
I interviewed Santo once when I was working as a sportswriter in Sterling, and he was cool about everything. I have nothing personal against him. You guys are right about his announcing though. It's awful. He doesn't know the players around the league, and he's nothing but a cheerleader and a walking publicity stunt. Not that Boers and Bernstein are experts or anything, but they were right on the other day when they mocked Santo for describing Ben Grieve as having "a great arm." Most of us Sox fans remember Grieve from his days in Oakland, and we all know Grieve is one of the worst defensive outfielders of all time. However, this fact was lost upon Santo during the Cubs-Brewers series last weekend. He clearly doesn't do any homework for the broadcasts, and he doesn't do any real analysis. He just shows up, puts the headset on and roots for his Cubbies.