PDA

View Full Version : Twins Schedule Far Easier...

Tragg
07-24-2004, 02:38 PM
Not that it matters.

But I began to wonder, as the Twins still haven't played a real baseball team since the AS break, if they ever would.

So I took 15 minutes to look at the schedule.

For non-division games, you play 2 series' with 5 teams and 3 series' with 4 teams.

Both the Sox and Twins get 3 series' with Cal and Seattle.

The Twins play their other 3 set series' with terrible teams: Tampa, Balt while the Sox play Oakland and Texas.

In interleague play, both played Phil and Mon.
Twins play Mets while we played Fla- slightly more difficult for us
We played the Cubs twice while they played Mil- slightly more difficult us.
We played Atlanta and they played horrid Arizona

In summary, so much for "balanced schedules"- we play the far more difficult schedule.

WSox8404
07-24-2004, 02:48 PM
Something has to be done about that. If you do not have a balanced schedule, how can you really know which is the better team, especially if one team finishes one game behind the other?

kojak
07-24-2004, 02:53 PM
True, which is why when you look at the RPI, the Sox are 9th and the Twins are 22nd.

But RPI also has the Flubs 3rd, so how correct can that be???

Starting Monday, the Twins have 3 in Chicago, then home for 3 against BoTox, 3 against Anaheim and 4 against Oakland. Later they have the Yankmees for 3. They close out August in Texas and Anaheim.

Our August schedule is relatively easy, the exception being a home & home series with the BoTox.

Cowch44
07-24-2004, 03:24 PM
Starting Monday, the Twins have 3 in Chicago, then home for 3 against BoTox, 3 against Anaheim and 4 against Oakland. Later they have the Yankmees for 3. They close out August in Texas and Anaheim.
Can't wait for that stretch.:bandance:

elrod
07-24-2004, 03:34 PM
The division will be decided between now and Sept 6. Beginning Monday the Twins enter the hardest part of their schedule (except Seattle) and we enter the easiest (except the Twins series and Boston). In September the Sox go on one more killer road trip (Tex, Ana and Min) and the Twins schedule eases up a bit (with the exception of a series against the Yankees). If we're still within a game of each then we're in trouble.

StepsInSC
07-24-2004, 03:49 PM
Something has to be done about that. If you do not have a balanced schedule, how can you really know which is the better team, especially if one team finishes one game behind the other?
I guess you could start looking at conference games versus regualar games, ala NCAA football.

AnkleSox
07-24-2004, 04:27 PM
I'm tellin ya, if the BoSox, Yankees, and west coast teams play like they're capable of, it ain't gonna be nice for the twins...

ma-gaga
07-24-2004, 04:51 PM
Something has to be done about that. If you do not have a balanced schedule, how can you really know which is the better team, especially if one team finishes one game behind the other?I agree. The unbalanced schedule sucks. It's nice to have the 'rivalry' series, but it's rediculous that they are so different. But there's a lot of other little things that I would change before the schedule. You'd think that the 19 head to head games would be able to decide a division...

But it makes so much money have 19 Red Sox vs Yankees games!

elrod
07-24-2004, 05:54 PM
The problem is: how did the Twins get to play AZ and we get FLA? They get a struggling Mets and we get the Braves. Why do they play nine with TB and not OAK? My guess is this will even out over the years. The only part that won't change is MIL vs. CHC and the Sox and Twins both went 2-4 against their rival teams.

ode to veeck
07-24-2004, 09:34 PM
yeah, but at this point, we still have 17 games left with the Kittens, schedule's looking pretty good from this point

flo-B-flo
07-24-2004, 10:22 PM
When you play the better teams, theoretically it should prepare you for the pressure cooker that is the pennant race. I wouldn't have it any other way.