PDA

View Full Version : Levine talking about the Sox going after Beltran...

IlliniSoxFan
07-24-2004, 12:34 PM
on AM 1000 - no official sources referenced, but Carmen and Silvi were asking about what the Sox may do to try and offset the loss of Maggs, and Levine went right into talking about Beltran, what the Sox may be able to and have to give up, and how well Rowand has been playing.

Interesting thought, in my mind, but I'd almost prefer going for a cheaper, smaller name.

Of course, that said, assuming we didn't trade away big-league players, I'd love the deal!!

eurotrash35
07-24-2004, 12:41 PM
I've been coveting beltran and wouldn't mind picking him up as long as it's not at the cost of another starter. I've really enjoyed seeing Rowand elevate his game lately but if we could get beltran I'd take the sure thing over a question mark for the rest of the season. The price has to be right though, because our need isn't as great since A-Row has been picking it up.

Palehose13
07-24-2004, 12:44 PM
I think it would be a great pick up and ARow could be moved to RF.

IlliniSoxFan
07-24-2004, 12:45 PM
BL was talking about the possibility that the 'Stros would want Rowand, and I agree with you - we need to keep him in the line-up and in the field to keep progressing. The ideal move would be to get Beltran and move Rowand to right - or, if we're sure that Beltran is moving to the Bronx next year, put CB in right and leave Rowand in center to continue to develop.

DickAllen72
07-24-2004, 12:46 PM
I've been coveting beltran and wouldn't mind picking him up as long as it's not at the cost of another starter. I've really enjoyed seeing Rowand elevate his game lately but if we could get beltran I'd take the sure thing over a question mark for the rest of the season. The price has to be right though, because our need isn't as great since A-Row has been picking it up.

I would love to have Beltran but would not give up either Rowand or Lee for him now, because then we're not gaining what we need to win it now.

I heard the Astros want a young third baseman, so I would give Crede and a minor league prospect or Joe Borchard for Beltran but not much more than that.

Uribe would move to third for the rest of the season. An outfield of Lee, Beltran and Rowand with Carl as DH would be enough for us to challenge for the World Series IMO.

Malgar 12
07-24-2004, 12:52 PM
I would love to have Beltran but would not give up either Rowand or Lee for him now, because then we're not gaining what we need to win it now.

I heard the Astros want a young third baseman, so I would give Crede and a minor league prospect or Joe Borchard for Beltran but not much more than that.

Uribe would move to third for the rest of the season. An outfield of Lee, Beltran and Rowand with Carl as DH would be enough for us to challenge for the World Series IMO.
I wouldn't give up anybody on the ML Roster, except Borchard. We already lost a catcher in getting Garcia. If the sox trade for Beltran they shouldnt have to give any more than the Astros did to get him. Two high quality minor league prospects.

Palehose13
07-24-2004, 01:09 PM
I'd give up Crede, Borchard and a Minor Leaguer for Beltran and Ensberg (if he is not a FA after this year). Is that fair?

BigEdWalsh
07-24-2004, 01:18 PM
I'd give up Crede, Borchard and a Minor Leaguer for Beltran and Ensberg (if he is not a FA after this year). Is that fair?
No way the Astros make that deal. :?:

Sox would have to give more than that. Maybe could tempt the Astros if that minor leaguer was Anderson. I'm not too sure if I'd wanna see that.

Brian26
07-24-2004, 01:26 PM
I think the Astros would take Crede and Borchard for Beltran. I don't think they would do the trade with Ensberg involved. Crede and Borchard could be a lot to give up for renting a guy for two months. Boy, I don't envy Kenny Williams right now at all.

Brian26
07-24-2004, 01:29 PM
I think we have to look at the whole situation like this: Assume both Frank and Mags are gone for the year. We've done a decent job of replacing Frank with Everett. Now how do we replace Mags? Beltran is a hell of a move. If, by some miracle, either Frank or Mags can come back and contribute towards the end of the year, we would be loaded for a playoff run for the ages.

IlliniSoxFan
07-24-2004, 01:38 PM
What if we made that move and then pried Mackowiak from the Pirates?

Brian26
07-24-2004, 01:43 PM
What if we made that move and then pried Mackowiak from the Pirates?
The Pirates can be had. Just ask Hendry. Please keep Randall Simon far away from our team though.

JRIG
07-24-2004, 01:45 PM

To clarify your position:

Rowand and Perez/Borchard >> Beltran and Perez/Borchard for us to make a run this year and win it now.

I can't even imagine a justification for that.

fquaye149
07-24-2004, 01:51 PM

Rowand and Perez/Borchard >> Beltran and Perez/Borchard for us to make a run this year and win it now.

that's a stupid position to take, no question

but i don't disagree with the stance that we shouldn't give up lee or rowand.

I don't know if the OF of beltran/rowand/borchard-perez or beltran/lee/borchard-perez would help us out ENOUGH to justify giving away an established MLB player like rowand or lee for a rent-a-player most likely going to NY next year. Maybe that's what he meant.

Yomarei
07-24-2004, 01:56 PM
No thanks, I want Pavano or Big Unit instead. Loaiza is cooked and Garland is a #4. Front-line pitching is more important in postseason.

Get dirt-cheap Burnitz to adress the LH bat and RF needs at once.

Brian Schneider or Gregg Zaun are fine at C.

BJ Ryan for the pen.

fquaye149
07-24-2004, 01:57 PM
that approach hasn't worked for the dodgers, and they play in a pitcher's park!

if we ignore our offensive needs or worse yet fill them wiht BURNITZ, we are going to be sunk no matter how good our pitching is.

IlliniSoxFan
07-24-2004, 01:59 PM

No, but Rowand and Beltran > Beltran and Perez/Borchard or Rowand and Perez/Borchard.

And, as for getting Pavano or the Unit, who says we can't get a good pitcher and pull off a deal like this?

pearso66
07-24-2004, 02:07 PM
So people are more willing to give up Lee than Rowand? Can I have some of what you are smoking? While Rowand has been hot, so had Lee, and when Lee is hot, he is much better than Rowand.

Might I add that Rowand hasnt had this production over a complete season yet, while Lee has been pretty productive for 3 years

eurotrash35
07-24-2004, 02:09 PM
that approach hasn't worked for the dodgers, and they play in a pitcher's park!

if we ignore our offensive needs or worse yet fill them wiht BURNITZ, we are going to be sunk no matter how good our pitching is.
Comparing our offense to the Dodgers is pretty silly IMO. We have a better offense even without F&M, what we need is a pitcher. We know the offense is going to put up runs, so why try to score 10 every night instead of keeping our opponents to under 4?

samram
07-24-2004, 02:10 PM
So people are more willing to give up Lee than Rowand? Can I have some of what you are smoking? While Rowand has been hot, so had Lee, and when Lee is hot, he is much better than Rowand.
No kidding. Beltran is a great player, but if they demand Lee, and won't take anyone else in his place, KW shouldn't do the deal- not for 65 games of Beltran, while Carlos is signed for another year or two.

DickAllen72
07-24-2004, 02:14 PM

That's not my position. Go back and read my position.

DickAllen72
07-24-2004, 02:16 PM
that's a stupid position to take, no question

but i don't disagree with the stance that we shouldn't give up lee or rowand.

I don't know if the OF of beltran/rowand/borchard-perez or beltran/lee/borchard-perez would help us out ENOUGH to justify giving away an established MLB player like rowand or lee for a rent-a-player most likely going to NY next year. Maybe that's what he meant.

Thank you! The "stupid position" was not my position. You understand my position and restated it accurately.

mmmmmbeeer
07-24-2004, 02:17 PM
The Astros gave up Dotel to get Beltran. Would you trade Rowand and Borchard for Dotel, a middle reliever? Me neither. The Astros HAVE to drop their price being this will be a deadline deal for a guy who has been anything but quiet about the fact that he WILL pursue free agency after this season. I wouldn't trade anyone off of our ML roster to HOU except for Crede, and if he's involved I'd want cash or prospects from HOU. I don't think there are many teams in the hunt for Beltran, atleast not many teams are reportedly in the hunt. Don't overpay, it's not even worth it.

JRIG
07-24-2004, 02:22 PM
That's not my position. Go back and read my position.
Certainly. You said:

An outfield of Lee, Beltran and Rowand with Carl as DH would be enough for us to challenge for the World Series IMO.

You will not give up Rowand for Carlos Beltran. Thus, you are saying you would prefer an outfield of Lee, Rowand, and Perez/Borchard over an outfield of Lee, Beltran, and Perez/Borchard. You believe Lee, Rowand, and Perez/Borchard is a beter fit of "what we need to win it now" than adding Beltran at the expense of Rowand.

If you won't give up Rowand under any circumstances and he's what the Astros want, you're settling for what we have now. That is what you said.

Tragg
07-24-2004, 02:35 PM
I think the Astros would take Crede and Borchard for Beltran. I don't think they would do the trade with Ensberg involved. Crede and Borchard could be a lot to give up for renting a guy for two months. Boy, I don't envy Kenny Williams right now at all. That is a high, high price to rent a player

IlliniSoxFan
07-24-2004, 02:38 PM

Might I add that Rowand hasnt had this production over a complete season yet, while Lee has been pretty productive for 3 years
Uhhhh, no. We shouldn't give up either of them.

mmmmmbeeer
07-24-2004, 02:40 PM
That is a high, high price to rent a player
If we had Maggs OR Frank in the lineup for the rest of the season I would make that deal in a heartbeat being we'd be legit WS contenders. Without Maggs or Frank it's way too big of a gamble.

Tragg
07-24-2004, 02:42 PM
The Astros gave up Dotel to get Beltran. Would you trade Rowand and Borchard for Dotel, a middle reliever? Me neither. The Astros HAVE to drop their price being this will be a deadline deal for a guy who has been anything but quiet about the fact that he WILL pursue free agency after this season. I wouldn't trade anyone off of our ML roster to HOU except for Crede, and if he's involved I'd want cash or prospects from HOU. I don't think there are many teams in the hunt for Beltran, atleast not many teams are reportedly in the hunt. Don't overpay, it's not even worth it. I agree- and in ANY calculus Houston should expect LESS than they gave up- they rented him for 3.5 months-the team they trade him to only 2.
How about Bagwell- he should come real cheap (midlevel prospect) and playing DH might rejuvinate him for 2 months out of what has been a terrible season

The key here is whether Frank and/or Maggs will be back for the playoffs- if the answer is NO, realistically we have no shot to win the WS so no need to waste bullets pursuing a hopeless cause. If the answer is yes, get another hitter - I'm just goofy enough to think we can win the division without them, so get a cheap hitter.

JRIG
07-24-2004, 02:45 PM
I agree- and in ANY calculus Houston should expect LESS than they gave up- they rented him for 3.5 months-the team they trade him to only 2.
How about Bagwell- he should come real cheap (midlevel prospect) and playing DH might rejuvinate him for 2 months out of what has been a terrible season

The key here is whether Frank and/or Maggs will be back for the playoffs- if the answer is NO, realistically we have no shot to win the WS so no need to waste bullets pursuing a hopeless cause. If the answer is yes, get another hitter - I'm just goofy enough to think we can win the division without them, so get a cheap hitter.
Bagwell has just a horrible horrible contract. He's owed $15.0M in 2005, $17 million in 2006, and $18 million in 2007 or a $7 million buyout.

Yomarei
07-24-2004, 02:55 PM
And, as for getting Pavano or the Unit, who says we can't get a good pitcher and pull off a deal like this?I do.

We'll get raped on Beltran trade (or, if you're Dadawg or Jeremy, Houston will give him up for nothing just because we're the Sox), there will literally be nothing left over for Unit or Pavano, both in terms of money and especially in major-league ready PROSPECTS.

Sorry, but with the way Burnitz is hitting this year, he won't be a big downgrade from Beltran if any. His D in RF is at worst solid. He only makes 1.25 Mill and won't cost nearly the prospects Beltran will.

Meanwhile, Unit or Pavano (AL forgot how to hit them!) pitching in Games 1 and 4 of ALDS and pushing Garcia and Buerhle back into more appropriate Game 2 and 3 spots, not only significantly improves your rotation, it takes pressure off your hitting as well.

And there is a very good chance our pull/uppercut-happy hitters CHOKE anyway against good pitching, under playoff pressure 2000-style, so it becomes an even bigger imperative for us to have STUDLY starting Starting 3 to have a chance.

Tragg
07-24-2004, 02:58 PM
Bagwell has just a horrible horrible contract. He's owed $15.0M in 2005, $17 million in 2006, and $18 million in 2007 or a $7 million buyout.
Egaads- that may be the worst in the leagu.

OEO Magglio
07-24-2004, 03:04 PM
No thanks, I want Pavano or Big Unit instead. Loaiza is cooked and Garland is a #4. Front-line pitching is more important in postseason.

BJ Ryan for the pen.I agree with that, go for a cheaper bat to replace Maggs and go get some more pitching.

Rudy Law
07-24-2004, 03:37 PM

BJ Ryan for the pen.

I agree....I'll take a Burnitz if it means getting some pitching help.....No way do I give up Lee....not for anything...The only way I consider giving up Rowand is if Beltran agrees to an extension. or they re-sign Maggs...Otherwise Rowand stays..
I really think what is going to happen though is we get someone at the level of Burnitz....and maybe we get some bullpen help.....Although I had to laugh at how Kenny Williams was talking about Randy Johnson on ESPN1000 yesterday.....Do you think Kenny has something up his sleeve?.....You get him and you don't need much offensive help.......Because you would have the best piching staff in baseball......#1 Johnson #2 Garcia #3 Buehrle #4 Loaiza(were would actually be better) #5 Garland (he would be one of the best 5th starters in baseball)....And a playoff rotation of Johnson, Garcia, Buehrle...Man that would be sick....Get it done Kenny!

DickAllen72
07-24-2004, 03:41 PM
Certainly. You said:

You will not give up Rowand for Carlos Beltran. Thus, you are saying you would prefer an outfield of Lee, Rowand, and Perez/Borchard over an outfield of Lee, Beltran, and Perez/Borchard. You believe Lee, Rowand, and Perez/Borchard is a beter fit of "what we need to win it now" than adding Beltran at the expense of Rowand.

If you won't give up Rowand under any circumstances and he's what the Astros want, you're settling for what we have now. That is what you said.

Heavy sigh.

IlliniSoxFan
07-24-2004, 03:48 PM
Heavy sigh.
LOL!!

ssidebeatdown
07-24-2004, 03:51 PM
First time poster long time lurker.

Might have no chance of happening but what is the possibility of the Sox signing Mags and then using him in a deal for Johnson or Beltran. Sure he wouldn't be used the rest of the year but I'm sure these teams would love to have him for the next few years. Just wanted to soo what you guys thought about this.

pearso66
07-24-2004, 04:01 PM
First time poster long time lurker.

Might have no chance of happening but what is the possibility of the Sox signing Mags and then using him in a deal for Johnson or Beltran. Sure he wouldn't be used the rest of the year but I'm sure these teams would love to have him for the next few years. Just wanted to soo what you guys thought about this.
A player on teh DL can not be traded.

but welcome to WSI

princek
07-24-2004, 04:01 PM
I agree with going after a cheaper hitter and getting more pitching, but absolutely not Burnitz. Go after Catalanatto who will come cheap and provide a top of the lineup bat and then go after a top tier starter is available prefferably Pavano cause he wont cost as much and is a free agent after the year, if one isn't then bullpen help is imperative.

DickAllen72
07-24-2004, 04:05 PM
LOL!!
:wink:

elrod
07-24-2004, 04:06 PM
Crede and Munoz/Bajanaru to Toronto for Zaun and Catalanotto

Jerome
07-24-2004, 04:15 PM
Another angle to consider is this:

Beltran can be had at a lower price than Johnson or Pavano, right? The Astros are as good as dead, I think, while the Marlins are still trying to win. And to get Johnson, I know we'd have to gut the farm system.

If Beltran can be had for a package centered around Joe Crede or Borchard, we should do it. Then, imagine what the lineup would be like if Maggs and Frank came back. (assuming we make the playoffs)

Harris 2B
Uribe 3B
Beltran CF
Maggs RF
Frank DH
Lee LF
Konerko 1B
Valentin SS
Catcher

AND A BENCH WITH ROWAND AND EVERETT!

And who knows, maybe we could even re-sign Beltran.

JoseCanseco6969
07-24-2004, 05:30 PM
Why couldnt we give that offer that was on the table for Maggs to Beltran?? I for one dont trust that Maggs will ever return to his old form. I think it'd be huge if we picked up Beltran for Rowand and signed him to a 4 year deal around 12-14 mil/year. Anyone know what Beltran might be demanding for contract???

pearso66
07-24-2004, 05:34 PM
Why couldnt we give that offer that was on the table for Maggs to Beltran?? I for one dont trust that Maggs will ever return to his old form. I think it'd be huge if we picked up Beltran for Rowand and signed him to a 4 year deal around 12-14 mil/year. Anyone know what Beltran might be demanding for contract???
IIRC he wants 15-16 mil a year. But if we were offering Maggs 14 mil a year for 5, I wouldnt mind offering 13 mil a year for 5 to Beltran. I dont think either is worht that much really, but we might as well get a pretty damn good player for it.

OEO Magglio
07-24-2004, 06:41 PM

but welcome to WSIA player on the dl can be traded but in all likely hood wouldn't happen.

Chisoxfn
07-24-2004, 07:43 PM
IIRC he wants 15-16 mil a year. But if we were offering Maggs 14 mil a year for 5, I wouldnt mind offering 13 mil a year for 5 to Beltran. I dont think either is worht that much really, but we might as well get a pretty damn good player for it.
Beltran is a superior player to Maggs. He will get 15-16 mill a year and if the Sox are willing to go 14 mill to Beltran, then if they could acquire him with a package starting at Crede, Borchard, Munoz (or Diaz), and a mid level prospect then I say they do it. Offer him 5 yr 15 mill a year and get it done.

Beltran plays a tougher position then Maggs and is a hell of a center fielder. THe sox then shift Rowand to RF and then next year Rowand and Anderson can battle for RF, plus you have Everett as an option in RF as well, assuming Frank excercises his option and stays on as DH.

The Sox lose Maggs, get 2 draft picks in return, and find themselves in a good position, with a young stud with left handed pop to build your team around offensively. Him, Lee, Konerko, and Thomas, means you have one left handed power bat with good speed to go in the midst of this group.

The only tough thing is that Boras represents Beltran and they seem very adamant to going to FA and the only way I'd deal for Beltran, if you give up good prospects, is if you can sign him or really think you can sign him.

Mohoney
07-25-2004, 05:31 AM

BJ Ryan for the pen.

I'm worried that BJ Ryan and Jeromy Burnitz will cost too much in terms of minor league talent.

Gregg Zaun seems to be a perfect move, but what would Toronto want? Is Zaun even on the block? I couldn't see Toronto just giving away one of their few bright spots.

If we could add Zaun and Ryan, I would be thrilled. Maybe we could get Shigetoshi Hasegawa cheaper than Ryan, though.

I really want this team to give Shigetoshi Hasegawa a long look. He keeps the ball in the park. Maybe a leap from last place to first place will do him some good, not to mention having a kindred spirit like Shingo to relate to.

If he can just keep inherited runners at bay, which is, in my opinion, our biggest weakness as a team right now, he would be a godsend.

Our most glaring weaknesses seem to be:

1. Inherited runners scoring at an exorbitant rate
2. Giving up an excessive number of home runs with 2 outs

We need to get a bullpen guy that can help in these areas before we even dream of adding another bat or a marquee starter.

Aidan
07-25-2004, 06:06 AM
Gregg Zaun seems to be a perfect move, but what would Toronto want? Is Zaun even on the block? I couldn't see Toronto just giving away one of their few bright spots.Gregg Zaun is the perfect guy for Toronto to trade to a contender. He is an experienced veteran catcher at 33 and he's having the best season of his career. Toronto picked him up off the scrap-heap earlier this season for nothing...
04/09/04 Signed catcher Gregg Zaun to a minor league contract and assigned him to Triple-A Syracuse.Now they can get some prospect(s) for him. They would be stupid not to trade Zaun. He has never been this good in his career. Look at his career numbers...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5427

I am positive the Blue Jays will move him before the deadline to a contender.

Yomarei
07-25-2004, 12:27 PM
I'm worried that BJ Ryan and Jeromy Burnitz will cost too much in terms of minor league talent.
If giving a mid-level prospect for Burnitz and 2 mid-level propsects for Ryan is too much, then what do you call giving up half the farm for Unit or Beltran?

In any event, Ryan may not be such a burning need with New Schoeneweiss moving back to the pen.

We need to get a bullpen guy that can help in these areas before we even dream of adding another bat or a marquee starter.

Marte, Shingo, Politte, Show will be fine. Cotts, Jackson, Adkins are garbage-men.

I think Sox have but clinched the playoffs. Whatever moves are made now (say, Unit and Burnitz) are not only an insurence against injuries, but mostly provide a huge attendance/revenue boost in the final 9 weeks and in case of Big Unit, he is there to pitch twice in first 4 games of ALDS, with Garcia and Burhle in game 2 and 3 as well.

Dadawg_77
07-25-2004, 01:28 PM
I do.

We'll get raped on Beltran trade (or, if you're Dadawg or Jeremy, Houston will give him up for nothing just because we're the Sox), there will literally be nothing left over for Unit or Pavano, both in terms of money and especially in major-league ready PROSPECTS.

Sorry, but with the way Burnitz is hitting this year, he won't be a big downgrade from Beltran if any. His D in RF is at worst solid. He only makes 1.25 Mill and won't cost nearly the prospects Beltran will.

Meanwhile, Unit or Pavano (AL forgot how to hit them!) pitching in Games 1 and 4 of ALDS and pushing Garcia and Buerhle back into more appropriate Game 2 and 3 spots, not only significantly improves your rotation, it takes pressure off your hitting as well.

And there is a very good chance our pull/uppercut-happy hitters CHOKE anyway against good pitching, under playoff pressure 2000-style, so it becomes an even bigger imperative for us to have STUDLY starting Starting 3 to have a chance.
:whatever:

Fla won't trade Pavano, it will send a bad sign to their fans. Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if they added some people. Secondly, Fla and Sox don't match up well at all. Who would we trade that Fla doesn't already have? Or did that not come up to you?

So unless you can get Johnson there are no good starters on the market right now. There are bats on the market that can help a lot more then a Kris Benson.

Dadawg_77
07-25-2004, 01:30 PM
Egaads- that may be the worst in the leagu.
Chan Ho Park is worse, at least Bagwell has done something in the past to merit that kind of money.

Dadawg_77
07-25-2004, 01:32 PM

but welcome to WSI
Actually that isn't a rule in the MLB. It just doesn't happen.

jeremyb1
07-25-2004, 02:24 PM
Zaun wouldn't be a bad pickup but I doubt we're progressive enough to bat him at the top of the lineup. Also I'm a big fan of Riccardi and wonder what he'd come away with.

Mohoney
07-25-2004, 09:04 PM
If giving a mid-level prospect for Burnitz and 2 mid-level propsects for Ryan is too much, then what do you call giving up half the farm for Unit or Beltran?

After these last few weeks, I'm actually sold on Rowand in CF. A Beltran deal just doesn't make much sense for us right now. Steve Finley makes sense, but only if I don't have to give up Anderson or Sweeney.

A Unit trade, however, would be such an overwhelming boost to this team that it would merit almost any price. Center a package around Garland and Cotts, with another possible lower level throw-in. If Arizona gets a better offer, then go back to the drawing board.

As for BJ Ryan, is he really available for two lesser prospects? Is Burnitz available for only one lesser prospect? Of course I would jump at the chance to acquire quality help for such a low price. Anybody would. But with so many teams still legitimately alive in postseason contention, it looks like the sellers have some real leverage here.

That's why I say we should get Hasegawa. Seattle will be so glad to get some payroll relief that he could probably be pried away for next to nothing in terms of minor league talent.

Yomarei
07-25-2004, 09:33 PM
After these last few weeks, I'm actually sold on Rowand in CF. A Beltran deal just doesn't make much sense for us right now. Steve Finley makes sense, but only if I don't have to give up Anderson or Sweeney.

A Unit trade, however, would be such an overwhelming boost to this team that it would merit almost any price. Center a package around Garland and Cotts, with another possible lower level throw-in. If Arizona gets a better offer, then go back to the drawing board.

As for BJ Ryan, is he really available for two lesser prospects? Is Burnitz available for only one lesser prospect? Of course I would jump at the chance to acquire quality help for such a low price. Anybody would. But with so many teams still legitimately alive in postseason contention, it looks like the sellers have some real leverage here.

That's why I say we should get Hasegawa. Seattle will be so glad to get some payroll relief that he could probably be pried away for next to nothing in terms of minor league talent.I am not THAT sold on Aaron yet (pitch selection could use up-a-notch-ing), but I do agree that Beltran is a luxury we simply can't afford the was A-Row is playing.

I agree, getting Unit would benefit Sox in multiple ways. I'd rather give up Diaz than Cotts, though. Neal is raw and definately belongs in AAA as a starter, but with some work on his curve and change, he could open some eyes as early as next season's 2nd half.

Burnitz's road splits are gonna scare a lot of people off. Nobody wanted him this past off-season, and Colorado is Colorado.

BJ Ryan may not be needed afterall with Schoeneweiss moving back to the pen if Unit/Pavano/Leiter/etc is acquired. He was death on lefties with sinker-slider, and with change-up/cutter, he will be solid against RH as well.

Hasegawa? Better than Action Jackson, I guess.