PDA

View Full Version : A crazy idea...

SoxxoS
07-24-2004, 11:34 AM
IF KW CAN'T/WON'T MAKE A MOVE FOR WHATEVER REASON:

I am probably going to get taken to task for this, but...

How about possibly calling up Brian Anderson? I realize it would be rushing him. No doubt. But with the success of a lot of really young guys (namely Miguel Cabrera) wouldn't it be possible for Anderson to have success? He could give this team a possible stud CF that is at least going to play solid defense in center. Rowand would then move to right, and we would have a pretty solid outfield defense.

I wouldn't call him up today, but lets say he gets up to .330 (speculation) in the next 2 weeks? I think you got to at least consider it. You can argue with pretty much certainty he could/will be a lot more productive than Joe Borchard. I say give Borchard a couple games to prove he could at least be decent...and if he continues to put up these awful numbers, I think you have to consider Anderson. The only reason I would consider is recent success of a lot of young players...and Anderson spent time in a great college conference. Just a thought.

dickallen15
07-24-2004, 12:24 PM

How about possibly calling up Brian Anderson? I realize it would be rushing him. No doubt. But with the success of a lot of really young guys (namely Miguel Cabrera) wouldn't it be possible for Anderson to have success? He could give this team a possible stud CF that is at least going to play solid defense in center. Rowand would then move to right, and we would have a pretty solid outfield defense.

I wouldn't call him up today, but lets say he gets up to .330 (speculation) in the next 2 weeks? I think you got to at least consider it. You can argue with pretty much certainty he could/will be a lot more productive than Joe Borchard. I say give Borchard a couple games to prove he could at least be decent...and if he continues to put up these awful numbers, I think you have to consider Anderson. The only reason I would consider is recent success of a lot of young players...and Anderson spent time in a great college conference. Just a thought.Chances are he would be overmatched right now in the big leagues, and you risk the chance of ruining him by bringing him up too soon. That, and it makes him closer to arbitration and free agency while the odds are stacked against him having any success. Its too much to risk for too little reward imho.

Yomarei
07-24-2004, 12:33 PM

I wouldn't call him up today, but lets say he gets up to .330 (speculation) in the next 2 weeks? I think you got to at least consider it. You can argue with pretty much certainty he could/will be a lot more productive than Joe Borchard. I say give Borchard a couple games to prove he could at least be decent...and if he continues to put up these awful numbers, I think you have to consider Anderson. The only reason I would consider is recent success of a lot of young players...and Anderson spent time in a great college conference. Just a thought.
:rolleyes:

Brian26
07-24-2004, 12:37 PM
I think Timo Perez could contribute far more to the club than Brian Anderson at this point on a day-to-day basis. Timo has hustled and come up with huge hits. Timo has playoff experience. Anderson wouldn't be able to do more than Timo, and it's likely he wouldn't even match Timo's numbers.

SoxxoS
07-24-2004, 12:39 PM
:rolleyes:
Nice reply. I hate it when posters do that.

Brian26
07-24-2004, 12:42 PM
Nice reply. I hate it when posters do that.
:D:

Just kidding.

SoxxoS
07-24-2004, 12:46 PM
:D:

Just kidding.I just hate the roll eyes, like the person that just puts the "rolleyes" is just so much brighter than the post, he doesn't even need to respond to it. Especially when the poster has 34 posts at WSI. You are cool, Brian. :cool:

Yomarei
07-24-2004, 12:49 PM
I think Timo Perez could contribute far more to the club than Brian Anderson at this point on a day-to-day basis. Timo has hustled and come up with huge hits. Timo has playoff experience. Anderson wouldn't be able to do more than Timo, and it's likely he wouldn't even match Timo's numbers.
Timo is a showboatin' dog who can't hit anymore and runs into outs on the pads. His defense in CF is below-average.

Other than that, he is just what we need for the pennant/playoff run.

SEALgep
07-24-2004, 01:03 PM
Timo is a showboatin' dog who can't hit anymore and runs into outs on the pads. His defense in CF is below-average.

Other than that, he is just what we need for the pennant/playoff run.His defense in right is pretty solid, and he's come up big more than a few times in a Sox uniform. He's even made several nice plays in CF. He doesn't have a lot of speed, but he doesn't that kind of criticism.

Yomarei
07-24-2004, 01:12 PM
His defense in right is pretty solid, and he's come up big more than a few times in a Sox uniform. He's even made several nice plays in CF. He doesn't have a lot of speed, but he doesn't that kind of criticism.He can't hit enough to be a RF - or any fielder for that matter.

And yes, his defense in CF is poor. Lack of instincts + average speed + questionable effort = a bad combination in CF. He's made several "nice" play there, you say? So did Everett last year. It means nothing.

If Showboat is our RF down the stretch, forget it.

pearso66
07-24-2004, 01:17 PM
He can't hit enough to be a RF - or any fielder for that matter.

And yes, his defense in CF is poor. Lack of instincts + average speed + questionable effort = a bad combination in CF. He's made several "nice" play there, you say? So did Everett last year. It means nothing.

If Showboat is our RF down the stretch, forget it.
"showboat" won't be our RFer down the stretch, I bet that roll is given to Borchard.

SoxxoS
07-24-2004, 01:20 PM
"showboat" won't be our RFer down the stretch, I bet that roll is given to Borchard.
I think Anderson can produce more than Borchard, hence the thread.

pearso66
07-24-2004, 01:23 PM
I think Anderson can produce more than Borchard, hence the thread.Thats a pretty big stretch. Anderson was just promoted to AA, Could he turn out to be very good at this point in time. Yes, but in all likely hood he won't be ready until 2006. Heck, we might as well bring up Josh Fields. He could do better than Crede too.

SEALgep
07-24-2004, 01:25 PM
He can't hit enough to be a RF - or any fielder for that matter.

If Showboat is our RF down the stretch, forget it.He's not a starter though, he's a role player, which he has served very well for us in that capacity.

Yomarei
07-24-2004, 01:35 PM
A headcase rookie with a slow bat and lousy pitch selection starting under huge pennant pressure/expectations?

That makes me feel better.

Yomarei
07-24-2004, 01:37 PM
I think Anderson can produce more than Borchard, hence the thread.Can we please watch a prospect play first before making judgement with regard to his ability to handle ML pitching/pressure, maybe?

Too much to ask?

SoxxoS
07-24-2004, 02:27 PM
Can we please watch a prospect play first before making judgement with regard to his ability to handle ML pitching/pressure, maybe?

Too much to ask?
Please tell me you aren't talking about Borchard. He has been in the minor leagues for what...4 years now? He has had 104 at bats in the major leagues. He has a .532 OPS. He is 25 years old. Please tell me the above statement wasn't about Borchard. I would love to see him succeed, but you got to put down the rose colored glasses at some stage.

pearso66
07-24-2004, 02:35 PM
Please tell me you aren't talking about Borchard. He has been in the minor leagues for what...4 years now? He has had 104 at bats in the major leagues. He has a .532 OPS. He is 25 years old. Please tell me the above statement wasn't about Borchard. I would love to see him succeed, but you got to put down the rose colored glasses at some stage.
I don't know who he was talking about, first he downed borchard, but then that post looked like it was against Anderson. I don't think that Borchard did too bad last time up. He seemed to be taking pitches that he used to swing at. I don't have a problem giving him another chance. Its better him then trading Lee away for Beltran

Cowch44
07-24-2004, 03:16 PM
ANderson can come up in September.

Yomarei
07-24-2004, 09:44 PM
Please tell me you aren't talking about Borchard. He has been in the minor leagues for what...4 years now? He has had 104 at bats in the major leagues. He has a .532 OPS. He is 25 years old. Please tell me the above statement wasn't about Borchard. I would love to see him succeed, but you got to put down the rose colored glasses at some stage.Borchard? No, I was talking about YOU and others here who've never seen Anderson play in person or even on TV, and yet feel they are in an ideal position to project his short-term ML production (or lack thereof), in under pennant race pressure no less!

You have no idea how badly overmatchred Anderson will most likely be in the bigs if you brought him up RIGHT NOW. Borchard at least hit a few pitches hard for outs in his last stint, from his weaker side, too - and I don't even consider HIM a viable option in the bigs.

SoxxoS
07-25-2004, 10:41 AM
Borchard? No, I was talking about YOU and others here who've never seen Anderson play in person or even on TV, and yet feel they are in an ideal position to project his short-term ML production (or lack thereof), in under pennant race pressure no less!

You have no idea how badly overmatchred Anderson will most likely be in the bigs if you brought him up RIGHT NOW. Borchard at least hit a few pitches hard for outs in his last stint, from his weaker side, too - and I don't even consider HIM a viable option in the bigs.Thanks :cleo.

I didn't know you know more about me than I do. I go to Arizona State. I think I have been to a few Arizona/ASU baseball games. Think before you make assumptions. What a goof.

idseer
07-25-2004, 11:03 AM

I didn't know you know more about me than I do. I go to Arizona State. I think I have been to a few Arizona/ASU baseball games. Think before you make assumptions. What a goof.
be that as it may, anderson should not be thrown into such a situation. even with all of timo's faults he's a better option right now.
borchard? i thought 2 years ago he was over-rated, over-hyped, and over-blown. anyone counting on him for much now OR later is probably in for a big disappointment.

besides, i would bet that in a few days it won't matter about timo/anderson/borchard.