PDA

View Full Version : How did the Cubs get their name?

DumpJerry
07-24-2004, 09:51 AM
Just how did the Cubs get their name? This is important because it is tied to their fate. Remember, before they were known as the Cubs, they had several names (mostly before the year 1900), one of which was the "White Stockings"
(:angry: ), that name was transferred to a more deserving organization.

Some theories on where "Cubs" comes from:
1. Can't Understand Baseball Strategy :cool:
2. Choke Under Baseball Stress :wink:
3. Completely Useless By September :tongue:

Any others???

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-24-2004, 10:22 AM
Could U Be Suckier

Can Usually Blow Series

Champions Until Baseball Starts

Can Usually Be Swept

Cork Used By Sammy

Cant Undo Being Sucky

Cant Understand Baseball Scoring

ode to veeck
07-24-2004, 12:26 PM
Comes Undone By Self-destruction

Crybabbies & Underlings Behaving Stupidly

Could Ultimately Be Scuttled

Condemned Unequivocably to Bow to the Sox

Crackheads, Underachievers, Babblers, & Steroidal mishaps

Concrete Underhangs Be Slamming fans

Clueless Understudies Beneath Sammy

DumpJerry
07-24-2004, 01:25 PM
:roflmao: :rolling: These are great! Now to get them published in the Cubune...........:D:

SoxEd
07-25-2004, 11:36 AM
Chicago's Underachieving 'B'-Side?

ode to veeck
07-25-2004, 12:11 PM
These are great! Now to get them published in the Cubune...........
email 'em to editor Lipinski !!

vegyrex
07-25-2004, 12:25 PM
Cursed Undeserving Bum Sissies

Can't Undo Bartman's Slipup

hsnterprize
07-25-2004, 12:41 PM
Chicago's Unsightly Back Side

:booty: :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty:

ode to veeck
07-25-2004, 12:48 PM
Couldn't Understand Baseball Strategy

Crushed Until Death By Sox!!

Cuddly Ugly Baby Bears that Suck!

DumpJerry
07-26-2004, 03:56 PM
Maybe we should send these to Brooks for display on the scoreboard during the Crosstown series next year or during the World Series this year for the Cards to use next season when they play the Flubs...............:tongue:

34rancher
07-26-2004, 06:16 PM
Can U Beat Someone

WSox8404
07-28-2004, 10:44 PM
Wow....these are hilarious. Never thought of this too much, but damn these are good.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-29-2004, 12:30 AM
3. Completely Useless By September :tongue: Heck, Completely Useless By Spring :)

milrtyme28
07-30-2004, 02:12 AM
Im actually reading a sox history book right now called "who's on third" and it seems like the owner of the sox ( chuck comisky ) made an agreement with the cubs owner ( the cubs were called the white stockings when the sox moved to town) that when he moved his minneapolis team to the south side he wouldnt use the name of the city ( as in "chicago") but he never specified what the teams name would be. Apparently comisky raided the "cubs" roster as well as a number of other NL teams' rosters in the offseason ( he was instrumental in creating the AL as we know it - the al could have been a feeder league ) and created the south side ball club known as the the white stockings. The media shortened the south side ball club's name to the white sox on their own, the organisation adopted that name, and here we are 98 years later.

since the white stockings name was apparently not protected somehow the north side team actually played under the moniker of the "orphans" as well as a few other names until it was decided to call them the cubs. I personally find this hilarious.

Check out the book "who's on third" = I cant remember the authors name just now and I would have to climb down three filghts of stairs to my basement to get it but it is a worthwhile read - it covers all sox history till 1983. I found my copy on ebay for 3 bucks.

FightingBillini
07-30-2004, 02:35 AM
Condemned Unequivocably to Bow to the Sox

Concrete Underhangs Be Slamming fans

Classic

KingXerxes
08-02-2004, 12:36 PM
Im actually reading a sox history book right now called "who's on third" and it seems like the owner of the sox ( chuck comisky ) made an agreement with the cubs owner ( the cubs were called the white stockings when the sox moved to town) that when he moved his minneapolis team to the south side he wouldnt use the name of the city ( as in "chicago") but he never specified what the teams name would be. Apparently comisky raided the "cubs" roster as well as a number of other NL teams' rosters in the offseason ( he was instrumental in creating the AL as we know it - the al could have been a feeder league ) and created the south side ball club known as the the white stockings. The media shortened the south side ball club's name to the white sox on their own, the organisation adopted that name, and here we are 98 years later.

since the white stockings name was apparently not protected somehow the north side team actually played under the moniker of the "orphans" as well as a few other names until it was decided to call them the cubs. I personally find this hilarious.

Check out the book "who's on third" = I cant remember the authors name just now and I would have to climb down three filghts of stairs to my basement to get it but it is a worthwhile read - it covers all sox history till 1983. I found my copy on ebay for 3 bucks.
While I've never read Who's on Third and really don't want to get into the merits of the book, I'm pretty sure the Chicago National League Ballclub dropped the nickname "White Stockings" long before Charles Comiskey got to town. When Cap Anson retired, I think they switched over to "The Orphans" at least ten years before there was an American League. Then Colts, then - finally - Cubs.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-02-2004, 12:47 PM
While I've never read Who's on Third and really don't want to get into the merits of the book, I'm pretty sure the Chicago National League Ballclub dropped the nickname "White Stockings" long before Charles Comiskey got to town. When Cap Anson retired, I think they switched over to "The Orphans" at least ten years before there was an American League. Then Colts, then - finally - Cubs.
As Jules might say, "CORRECT-O-MUNDO!"

http://www.grudge-match.com/Images/pulpfiction.jpg
"Jules, you give that nimrod $5000 and I'll shoot 'em on general principles!"

:tongue:

minastirith67
08-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Great post, George.

My nomination for POTW.

DumpJerry
09-27-2004, 07:06 PM
Conduct
Unbecoming of
Braindead
Shmucks

bigfoot
09-27-2004, 07:27 PM
While historically correct, as I doff my chapeau, the true reason that all these other monikers were tried and tested before resolving to the "C" word was....

That S***, was already taken!

Realist
09-28-2004, 02:07 AM
CrapUnderBozo'sShoes

CoughUghhBelchSnot

:pee :nocubs

Railsplitter
09-28-2004, 10:26 AM
Committing Unbeleivable Baseball Sins

Can't Ultimately Beat Southsiders

eriqjaffe
09-28-2004, 10:35 AM