PDA

View Full Version : Olerud???

JoseCanseco6969
07-24-2004, 09:37 AM
Olerud was released officially from the M's yesterday. I think KW picks him up ASAP since hes in the last year of his contract and would provide a decent vet bat to help offset the maggs absence. We throw Crazy carl in RF and DH old olerud. I think it would be the cheapest and best move KW could make without purging the farm again. Thoughts???

misty60481
07-24-2004, 09:41 AM
Good idea and not expensive

ND_Sox_Fan
07-24-2004, 09:48 AM
Good idea and not expensive
All he would be is a slow singles hitter. Borchard is a better option!!

John was only hitting .245 with 5 homers and 22 rbis. Borchard can easily do this - with some speed and a good arm in the outfield.

StepsInSC
07-24-2004, 10:12 AM
Then if we get to the playoffs we have Everett, Olerud, Thomas, and Maggs (due to his injury) that can all play DH. Yay!

The only thing he's been doing good is getting on base, but he can't run so he's kind of useless in that regard.

oharewx
07-24-2004, 10:23 AM
olerud is a wuss. who wears a helmet while playing in the field? this guy is old and washed up. i'd rather see fred mcgriff than olerud.

Mickster
07-24-2004, 10:30 AM
olerud is a wuss. who wears a helmet while playing in the field? this guy is old and washed up. i'd rather see fred mcgriff than olerud.
Do you know why that "wuss" wears a helmet while playing the field?

oharewx
07-24-2004, 10:39 AM
brain aneurysm, but he still looks like a dork in the field

StepsInSC
07-24-2004, 10:46 AM
I nominate this for jerkoff-post of the year.

Mickster
07-24-2004, 10:46 AM
I nominate this for jerkoff-post of the year.
I'll second.

Blueprint1
07-24-2004, 12:38 PM
WHAT!!! YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING.

Brian26
07-24-2004, 12:41 PM
I'll second.
Yep. Another one of the great contributors of late to WSI.

JRIG
07-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Lookling at the roster with Frank and Mags out..,.and I never thought I'd say this...but WE NEED MORE RIGHT HANDED HITTERS!

Perez, Everett, Valentin, Harris, Gload, Borchard all hit better from the LH side. Which means againts LHP, we're going to have to start one of Borchard/Harris/Gload/Perez in right field and Valentin at SS probably.

I don't have a huge problem with Valentin in there, but sure would like a better option for RF.

And this now means our best RH pinch hiter off the bench most days is Burke/Alomar. That's kinda scary.

HITMEN OF 77
07-24-2004, 01:14 PM
From the sounds of it over the past month or so, we should just get every player that played for the M's. We've takled about Boone, Olerud, Moyer etc etc. Garcia was the best from that team to ours. Olerud would be a waste. I second the jerkoff....

munchman33
07-24-2004, 01:48 PM
Please don't call Olerud a wuss for wearing a batting helmet in the field. The main is missing part of his skull because of a post-anyeurism surgery. Any blow there will kill him instantly.

Deadguy
07-24-2004, 02:09 PM
I'd almost rather have McGriff than Olerud. Neither is really of need, though.

There's got to be better options out there for us.

ClaudelSleptHere
07-24-2004, 02:13 PM
NOlerud and NO McWhiff........

TrollHouseCookie
07-24-2004, 02:19 PM
Olerud?? Better off with Bautista. Or better off even with Ted William's frozen head on a warm day.

kittle545feet
07-24-2004, 02:22 PM
i was wondering what everyone thought about the white sox givinh john olerud a shot. the sox would only have to pay the mlb salary of $300,000 and the mariners would HAVE to pay the rest. i know his best days are behind him and he is only hitting .245, but maybe a change of scenery and the chance of going to the playoffs would ignite his stick. he is a smart veteran hitter who, if i'm not mistaken, is a hell of a clutch hitter. we wouldn't have to give anyone up and it gives us that left handed bat. at bare minimum, he is a great left handed bat off the bench for $300,000. seems like kw should at least consider it to me. what does evryone else think?:?:

Deadguy
07-24-2004, 03:04 PM
What about Rickey Hendersen or Andres Galaragga.

Rickey would be a great addition to this club. Just ask him.

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/1650.jpg
"That's right. White Sox lucky that a player of Rickey's stature is still ripe for the picking. Hurry, because Rickey won't be available for long, as Rickey has already received calls from the Hollywood Yankees and some 16" softball team in Youngstown, Ohio. Rickey will get along well with that Fisk fella....umm...and that old guy who throws the knuckle ball...and...ummm...that white guy with the glasses..and...ah who cares. Rickey will bring a title to the White Sox all by himself, and will steal the hearts of Chicago fans as easilly as Rickey steals second base off a battery of Hideo Nomo and Mike Piazza. Rickey will be so spectacular, that U.S. Celluar will relinquish the nameing rights to the stadium, and allow it to be called "The House that Rickey Built", and statues will be erected in Rickey's honor all over Chicago".

JoseCanseco6969
07-24-2004, 04:15 PM
NOlerud and NO McWhiff........
So you'd rather carry a 3rd catcher/bum like Ben Davis on the roster over one of those vets???

gosox41
07-24-2004, 04:26 PM
Then if we get to the playoffs we have Everett, Olerud, Thomas, and Maggs (due to his injury) that can all play DH. Yay!

The only thing he's been doing good is getting on base, but he can't run so he's kind of useless in that regard.
I don't care how slow a runner is, getting on base is never a bad thing.

And if we go to the playoffs, Olerud doesn't need to be on the roster, but he is there for insurance in case Frank or Magglio or even Everett is hurt.

Bob

gosox41
07-24-2004, 04:28 PM
WHAT!!! YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING.
It's true. He had it his last year of college right before he was drafted. He said he can probably get away without one but swore to his mother that he'd always wear a helmet when on the field.

Bob

pearso66
07-24-2004, 04:32 PM
Borchard is a switch hitter, so Vs. Lefties he will be batting right handed. He is better lefty, but he is a right handed batter. I'll pass on Olerud, I'd rather have Borchard in Right and Everett DHing then Everett in right and Olerud DHing.

Oh and that guy who made the post of Olerud being a wuss, you have my vote for moronic post of the millenium

samram
07-24-2004, 05:08 PM
First of all, Olerud smacks of Ken Hill- old and not performing well.

Secondly, I was listening to the Yanks-BoSox game on the radio today, and the Red Sox, who have contacted him, said he doesn't want to go east. He wants to stay on the west coast.

oldcomiskey
07-24-2004, 05:27 PM
so did another wuss named Dick Allen---Im kidding--Im kidding

Nick@Nite
07-26-2004, 09:54 PM
Olerud?? Better off with Bautista. Or better off even with Ted William's frozen head on a warm day.
:troll