PDA

View Full Version : Sox in first for wild card

Cowch44
07-24-2004, 03:48 AM
With Boston losing and Oakland losing we're in first for the WC, I think we'll win the division, but if WC is our way in....why not? Oh and take that ESPN Boston's falling faster and faster.

OEO Magglio
07-24-2004, 03:53 AM
With Boston losing and Oakland losing we're in first for the WC, I think we'll win the division, but if WC is our way in....why not? Oh and take that ESPN Boston's falling faster and faster.Get into the playoffs anyway possible. Obviously winning the division is the main objective but it is nice to have the wildcard as a possibility that hasn't been that way for a while.

StockdaleForVeep
07-24-2004, 03:53 AM
With Boston losing and Oakland losing we're in first for the WC, I think we'll win the division, but if WC is our way in....why not? Oh and take that ESPN Boston's falling faster and faster.
Regardless of where we finish(as long as playoff worthy) i just pray we dont play another al west team, let the yankees deal with them.

OEO Magglio
07-24-2004, 03:55 AM
Regardless of where we finish(as long as playoff worthy) i just pray we dont play another al west team, let the yankees deal with them.I'd love to play the rangers. But hopefully if we make the playoffs we won't have to get anywhere near oakland.

nasox
07-24-2004, 03:57 AM
Don't count your chickens.....

Cowch44
07-24-2004, 04:03 AM
Too bad if we do get the WC we'd most likely go against the Yankees, because they have the best record.:(:

ClaudelSleptHere
07-24-2004, 04:14 AM
I like how we stack up against Yankee starters. We should hammer those guys. I also am more scared of the AL West.

Aidan
07-24-2004, 05:01 AM
I'd rather win the division and knock out those dirty Twinkies but if we make the playoffs via the Wild Card I wouldn't mind. But if we DO get into the playoffs, we had better play hard. I still remember 2000 like it was yesterday but I realize that was 4 years ago already. That was not a fun series to watch. :whiner: Damn Seattle! :angry:

Cowch44
07-24-2004, 05:05 AM
I'd rather win the division and knock out those dirty Twinkies but if we make the playoffs via the Wild Card I wouldn't mind. But if we DO get into the playoffs, we had better play hard. I still remember 2000 like it was yesterday but I realize that was 4 years ago already. That was not a fun series to watch. :whiner: Damn Seattle! :angry:
This time we've got Freddy:smile:

Aidan
07-24-2004, 05:11 AM
This time we've got Freddy:smile:Yeah, and we don't have Parque, Sirotka, or Baldwin in our starting rotation. :supernana:

elrod
07-24-2004, 08:43 AM
Parque, Baldwin and Sirotka were not the reason we lost to Seattle. An underperforming lineup and a poor bullpen blew that series. Baldwin threw the game of his life in that series.

Aidan
07-24-2004, 09:14 AM
Parque, Baldwin and Sirotka were not the reason we lost to Seattle. An underperforming lineup and a poor bullpen blew that series. Baldwin threw the game of his life in that series.Yeah, and I seem to remember that Frank was like 0 for 13 in that series. Then again, no one else hit either. :whiner:

Sox Mobile
07-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Parque, Baldwin and Sirotka were not the reason we lost to Seattle. An underperforming lineup and a poor bullpen blew that series. Baldwin threw the game of his life in that series.
Baldwin has been my personal hero since that game. He was ferocious. I will never forget him on the mound that day.

I know he got a start from the Mets earlier in this season, but got hammered.

SoxxoS
07-24-2004, 11:47 AM
Parque was ballsy as hell as well...he went out there and shut down the Mariners pretty good.

WSox8404
07-24-2004, 11:53 AM
I can't remember the last time we were in the running for the wild card. This is good news.

jabrch
07-24-2004, 12:15 PM
What are the chances we get more production out of Thomas this year than in our last playoff appearance?

I sure hope Frank and Magglio heal in time for October. Imagine the jolt if this team survives without them - AND THEN GETS THEM BACK?

Frankfan4life
07-24-2004, 12:22 PM
Yeah, and I seem to remember that Frank was like 0 for 13 in that series. Then again, no one else hit either. :whiner:I believe Jose was the only hitter who peformed well in that series. I went to the 3rd game of the series. We were so close to winning that one. The crowd was really into it but I had never seen so many pop-ups in my life. I also remember how Lou Piniella completely out-managed Jerry Manuel. The Sox had started to go downhill after the AS break and they had nothing left during the playoffs. That was a very sad memory. :(:

SoxxoS
07-24-2004, 12:37 PM
I believe Jose was the only hitter who peformed well in that series. I went to the 3rd game of the series. We were so close to winning that one. The crowd was really into it but I had never seen so many pop-ups in my life. I also remember how Lou Piniella completely out-managed Jerry Manuel. The Sox had started to go downhill after the AS break and they had nothing left during the playoffs. That was a very sad memory. :(:
Jose? Clutch? Shocking.

flo-B-flo
07-24-2004, 12:49 PM
Florida won the series as a wild card last year. I love the Blosox dive! It gives Peter Gammons less things to say.

SoxxoS
07-24-2004, 01:47 PM
Florida won the series as a wild card last year. I love the Blosox dive! It gives Peter Gammons less things to say.
So did the Angels. And the Marlins of 1997, I believe.

mjmcend
07-24-2004, 02:26 PM
I can't remember the last time we were in the running for the wild card. This is good news.
That is because no AL central team has ever won or even had a reasonable shot at the wildcard ... until this year when the twins win it of course

Tragg
07-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Regardless of where we finish(as long as playoff worthy) i just pray we dont play another al west team, let the yankees deal with them.
Here are your choices
Yankees
BoSox
AL West Team

I'll take the AL west team- I'd love it to be Texas and their mediocre pitching. But I'd even prefer Oakland to NY or Boston (pedro twice)

he_gone_89
07-24-2004, 03:14 PM
well i hope we can win the divison and since boston is losing,not only will Tampa Bay have a shot at the wild card,but my idea of a "Red Flag" trade is possible

cheeses_h_rice
07-24-2004, 03:18 PM
I believe Jose was the only hitter who peformed well in that series. I went to the 3rd game of the series. We were so close to winning that one. The crowd was really into it but I had never seen so many pop-ups in my life. I also remember how Lou Piniella completely out-managed Jerry Manuel. The Sox had started to go downhill after the AS break and they had nothing left during the playoffs. That was a very sad memory. :(:
The best hitter for the Sox in the 2000 ALDS (http://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/2000_ALDS2.shtml) was...Herbert Perry, who went 4 for 9 to hit .444.

Charles Johnson went 3 for 9 to hit .333, and Jose Valentin went 3 for 10 to hit .300.

Frank was 0 for 9 with 4 walks (and what seemed like about 29 popups).

OEO Magglio
07-24-2004, 03:20 PM
well i hope we can win the divison and since boston is losing,not only will Tampa Bay have a shot at the wild card,but my idea of a "Red Flag" trade is possibleNo it's not.

WSox8404
07-24-2004, 03:53 PM
No it's not.
I agree.

Jerome
07-24-2004, 04:26 PM
Great Thread. From now on, everyone should just cheer for the Yankees (to knock Boston out) and pray for the AL West teams to knock each other out. But I have a sick feeling that Billy Beane will do something that will seperate the A's from the rest of the pack in the West, and if the Sox play the A's in the postseason, it's over.

Soxzilla
07-24-2004, 06:02 PM
Harold Baines was the only one that scored in that third game. I remember because he hustled his tail off on a double and then advanced twice on 2 fly outs.

And you travelled all the way to seattle for game 3?

gobears1987
07-24-2004, 11:11 PM
my predictions are
1st seed: Yankes
2nd Rangers
3rd Sox
4th (Bo Sox, Oakland or Twins) I hope the Twins as we could wail on them if they somehow beat the Yankees

We would beat TExas

Daver
07-24-2004, 11:13 PM
Great Thread. From now on, everyone should just cheer for the Yankees (to knock Boston out) and pray for the AL West teams to knock each other out. But I have a sick feeling that Billy Beane will do something that will seperate the A's from the rest of the pack in the West, and if the Sox play the A's in the postseason, it's over.
Based on what?

Billy Beane has never assembled a team that can win in the post season, even though they can get there.

HomeFish
07-24-2004, 11:16 PM
Based on what?

Billy Beane has never assembled a team that can win in the post season, even though they can get there.

On the other hand, Kenny Williams has never assembled a team that can beat Oakland, even though we play at least 6 games against them each year.

I'd still feel better going up against the Yankees or Rangers. But first we have to win a playoff spot, and we can't lose sight of that either.

Thunderstruck30
07-25-2004, 01:45 AM
When it comes to the playoffs, momentum and team chemistry are more important than talent. If the Sox have huge momentum going into the playoffs, just like the Marlins did last year, they can beat anyone.

jabrch
07-25-2004, 02:00 AM
Based on what?

I also don't recall any great mid-season moves Beane has made. Even his move so far, adding Dotel for Teahen, has been a disaster so far. Who knows what Teahen may or may not be down the road, but either way, Dotel has been a bust.

OEO Magglio
07-25-2004, 02:04 AM
I also don't recall any great mid-season moves Beane has made. Even his move so far, adding Dotel for Teahen, has been a disaster so far. Who knows what Teahen may or may not be down the road, but either way, Dotel has been a bust.What I don't understand about Beane is, isn't he one of the guys who thinks that closers are overrated, if so why did he go get a closer?

Whitesox029
07-25-2004, 02:19 AM
Don't count your chickens.....Funny sig, nasox....is that a kitten with a lemon peel on its head?!

MarkEdward
07-25-2004, 04:20 AM
I also don't recall any great mid-season moves Beane has made. Are you talking about deadline deals, or just any mid-season move? I'll assume you're talking about deadline deals:
- 2002: Traded Jon Adkins to White Sox for Ray Durham and cash (Durham puts up 109 OPS+ for A's).
- 2002: Traded Marshal McDougall to Indians for Ricardo Rincon (150 ERA+ for A's).
- 2001: Traded Todd Belitz, Mario Encarnacion, and Jose Ortiz to Rockies for Jermaine Dye (141 OPS+).
- 1999: Traded Jeff Davanon, Elvin Nina, and Nathan Haynes to Angels for Omar Olivares (111 ERA+) and Randy Velarde (125 OPS+).
- 1999: Traded Billy Taylor to the Mets for Jason Isringhausen (227 ERA+) and Greg McMichael (89 ERA+).

Beane really hasn't had a need to make many mid-season moves because his teams are usually pretty good to begin with. This year, he'll need to go after a second baseman, though.

As for Dotel, seeing as though he's only pitched about 20 innings for the A's, I'd wait before calling that trade a failure. Currently, his FIP is 3.69, which is a good sign. Aside from that, he didn't give up much to acquire Dotel. Teahen is currently hitting .233/.281/.389 for Omaha. He never would've played for Oakland anyway, because Eric Chavez will be manning third for the next several years. Mike Wood was low on the A's prospect list, behind pitchers like Blanton, Sullivan, Duchsherer, and now Michael Rogers and Jason Windsor.

As for the original topic, I'd like to see the Red Sox take the East, the Sox take the Central, and the A's take the West, with either the Indians, Twins, Angels, or Rangers winning the Wild Card.

Mohoney
07-25-2004, 05:34 AM

Amen. Both Frank and Paulie went 0-for the series!

gosox41
07-25-2004, 08:39 AM
I also don't recall any great mid-season moves Beane has made. Even his move so far, adding Dotel for Teahen, has been a disaster so far. Who knows what Teahen may or may not be down the road, but either way, Dotel has been a bust.
Getting Ray Durham for Jon Adkins was a solid move for Beane.

Bob

Mickster
07-25-2004, 09:55 AM
Funny sig, nasox....is that a kitten with a lemon peel on its head?!
It's a sour-puss. :D: