PDA

View Full Version : Can someone at ABC-7 tell Brad Palmer that the White Sox play in...

cheeses_h_rice
07-23-2004, 07:26 PM
U.S. CELLULAR FIELD.

And NOT "Cellular Field."

I'm really getting tired of lazy and/or Flubs-biased news readers (e.g. Batboy Wally Jacobson) calling our park by any other name than its proper one (e.g. Cellular One Field, Cellular Field, U.S. Cellular Park).

Thanks.

cubhater
07-23-2004, 07:47 PM
Mark Malone referred to the Urinal as Wrigley Park shortly after he arrived at channel 2. Dumb a**!:redneck

SOXPHILE
07-23-2004, 10:45 PM
I think Brad "The Proffessor" Palmer is the long lost brother of ESPN's "NFL Expert"- John Clayton.

idseer
07-23-2004, 10:46 PM
U.S. CELLULAR FIELD.

I'm really getting tired of lazy and/or Flubs-biased news readers (e.g. Batboy Wally Jacobson) calling our park by any other name than its proper one (e.g. Cellular One Field, Cellular Field, U.S. Cellular Park).

Thanks.

you mean comiskey park?

Lip Man 1
07-23-2004, 11:13 PM
ID:

Right on the money! :smile:

Lip

cheeses_h_rice
07-23-2004, 11:16 PM
you mean comiskey park?
Sigh...you know what I mean.

:cool:

doublem23
07-24-2004, 12:31 AM
It's not as bad as the maroons at Fox who call it "Cellular One" Field.

Grobber33
07-24-2004, 02:01 PM
you mean comiskey park?
It IS Comiskey Park. You dont take a dead man's name off a Stadium and get me to use the new name(same with Dyche Stadium,Joe Robbie,Jack Kent Cooke,and others).

Besides,that Phone (Micro-Phoney,and a Phoney at the Mic!) Company is'nt paying any of us one red cent to use there name. 1000,and the Sox Broadcasters and any Network Broadcasters have no choice,but we all do. If you want to use that new name--it's your choice. It's also our choice NOT to!

iwannago
07-24-2004, 02:28 PM
It IS Comiskey Park. You dont take a dead man's name off a Stadium and get me to use the new name(same with Dyche Stadium,Joe Robbie,Jack Kent Cooke,and others).

Besides,that Phone (Micro-Phoney,and a Phoney at the Mic!) Company is'nt paying any of us one red cent to use there name. 1000,and the Sox Broadcasters and any Network Broadcasters have no choice,but we all do. If you want to use that new name--it's your choice. It's also our choice NOT to!Add the RCA Dome to your list. They took the name of all the Tax payers
(Hoosier) that paid for the stadium and replaced it with RCA. Does anyone buy any RCA products anymore??? :gulp:

DumpJerry
07-24-2004, 02:39 PM
I always call our home Comiskey. Albeit, Chuck Comiskey prevented us from enjoying the ultimate pleasure because of the Black Sox scandal, but as they say, "he may be a SOB, but he's OUR SOB."

There are many who feel that the Black Sox team of Jackson (Joe, not Mike of today's bullpen) et al. was probably the greatest baseball team ever, even better than the classic Yankee teams that followed. Some say that the Sox were so good back then that nobody paid attention to the Cubs and they (the Cubs) were looking to move to another city to get a fan base :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: . That, my friends, would have been the ultimate pleasure for Sox fans! Team movement was not unknown back then. The White Sox actually started in St. Paul, Minnesota before coming to the South Side. But, alas, the Sox went into purgatory and the Cubs hung around.....:angry:

TornLabrum
07-24-2004, 04:58 PM
I always call our home Comiskey. Albeit, Chuck Comiskey prevented us from enjoying the ultimate pleasure because of the Black Sox scandal, but as they say, "he may be a SOB, but he's OUR SOB."

There are many who feel that the Black Sox team of Jackson (Joe, not Mike of today's bullpen) et al. was probably the greatest baseball team ever, even better than the classic Yankee teams that followed. Some say that the Sox were so good back then that nobody paid attention to the Cubs and they (the Cubs) were looking to move to another city to get a fan base :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: . That, my friends, would have been the ultimate pleasure for Sox fans! Team movement was not unknown back then. The White Sox actually started in St. Paul, Minnesota before coming to the South Side. But, alas, the Sox went into purgatory and the Cubs hung around.....:angry:Chuck Comiskey was J. Louis Comiskey's grandson. He helped build the Go-Go Sox. Charlie Comiskey was the owner at the time of the Black Sox Scandal.

illiniwhitesox
07-24-2004, 08:48 PM
U.S. CELLULAR FIELD.

Thanks.

Whenever I see Brad Palmer, I think of Charlie Brown. Seriously -

The guy has a perfectly. symetrically round head and he is as bald as a newborn's ass. If a little girl would hold a football on a tee, I swear that Charlie Brown (aka Brad Palmer) would run up to kick it and wiff as she swiped the ball away.

Whitesox029
07-24-2004, 10:30 PM
U.S. CELLULAR FIELD.

Thanks.
If they're calling it "Cellular One Field" on a news station then that station just needs a cease and desist letter from Joan Cusack. Cellular One is a rival company. Personally I myself would prefer if the media just called it Sox park, but that's not in the cards of the deal with U.S. Cellular.

DumpJerry
07-24-2004, 11:54 PM
I stand corrected about the various roles the Comiskey family had played in our history....:comiskey

TornLabrum
07-25-2004, 01:17 AM
I stand corrected about the various roles the Comiskey family had played in our history....:comiskey
And even I screwed it up calling Chuck the grandson of J. Louis. He was, of course, his son. I started to type the grandson of Charlie, but then changed my mind but not the word.

The family history as I know it is this:

Charles "Charlie" Comiskey was the son of a Chicago alderman. He fell in love with the White Stockings (Chicago's first professional team) as a kid and was a pretty fair first baseman in his day...credited with being the first to play off the bag. He played mainly with the St. Louis Browns in the American Association (now the NL Cardinals) and the Cincinnati Reds. He helped found the Western League with Ban Johnson and was took over the Sioux City franchise, moving it to St. Paul and then to Chicago. He was in cahoots with Johnson when the league (named the American League in 1900) went to war with the NL in 1901.

When he died he left the club to his son J. Louis Comiskey. Lou Comiskey was a sickly person...I think he had rheumatic fever as a kid which weakened his heart. It was Lou who tried to bring the Sox back to respectability by picking up players like Al Simmons and Jimmy Dykes from the A's.

He died young, though, and left the club to his widow, Grace. She ran the club the way the worst of Uncle Jer's detractors say he does. It was definitely a penny pinching operation under Grace.

Under the terms of Lou's will, their son Chuck and Daughter Dorothy were supposed inherit the club when Grace died. Chuck was supposed to get the majority interest, but he was a rather impulsive sort as a yout'. At one point he even quit the Sox to join the Liberty Broadcasting Network in the late '40s. This was an outfit that did recreations of games for cities where there were no major league clubs.

So picqued was Grace by Chuck's behavior that she put in her will that Dorothy was to receive the majority of shares of the club. This led to a series of lawsuits by Chuck challenging the will. Meanwhile, Chuck was actually the person doing such things as hiring Frank Lane as GM and then firing him. He took over GM duties with his brother-in-law John Rigney (a former Sox pitcher) when he fired Lane.

Unfortunately for Chuck, he lost the suits and tried to buy out Dorothy. He expected a "family discount," though and Dorothy saw no reason to offer him one. When Chuck balked she accepted an offer by Bill Veeck. Chuck reconsidered, Dorothy reconsidered, and Veeck said, "Tough toenails." I think there was a court ruling to the effect that once Dorothy had accepted the offer, that was it.

Chuck remained on as a minority owner until Art Allyn bought out Veeck when Veeck became ill. I heard Mike Veeck say on TV for the first time what it was...I think a brain tumor...but that's another story. Chuck had some friends trying to buy the team in order to sell the club back to him, but Allyn wasn't one of them.

When he realized he wasn't going to obtain a majority interest, he sold his shares to Allyn.

And that's the Comiskey history as best I remember it off the top of my head. (Which means I could be talking out of my head.)

kcsportscaster
07-25-2004, 02:19 AM
Mark Malone referred to the Urinal as Wrigley Park shortly after he arrived at channel 2. Dumb a**!:redneck
What else do you expect from a former NFL quarterback who was stupid enough to leave his cushy ESPN gig for two minutes worth of local T-V sports, which may be dying in Chicago as much as it is in other markets.