PDA

View Full Version : ERA Since Olivo Departed?

HomerCoach
07-23-2004, 02:10 PM
Anyone know the team and starter ERA's since Miggy left? Just Curious.

Kadafi311
07-23-2004, 02:31 PM
Well, I'm not going to do all the math of before Olivo. However, since Olivo departed the ERA of our starters is as follows:

Buehrle: 3.40
Garcia: 3.15
Loaiza: 7.40
Garland: 3.90
Schoeneweis: 8.71

Starters ERA: 5.31

OurBitchinMinny
07-23-2004, 03:10 PM
Maybe thats loaiza's problem. I think Olivo caught him most if not all the time. But Elo was starting to suck when olivo was here too. And Miguel does have a lot of good qualities for a catcher, but calling the game is not one of them

Paulwny
07-24-2004, 01:22 PM
One possible reason for the lower era, apparently Miguel has a problem framing (holding) pitches.
From the Seattle Times 7/24/04:
(Of Olivo, bench coach Rene Lachemann, a former catcher, said: "Miguel is a hard worker, and that's what is going to pay off in the long run. He's not holding on to pitches quite well enough, and he has to improve on blocking pitches in the dirt." )

Brian26
07-24-2004, 01:31 PM
One possible reason for the lower era, apparently Miguel has a problem framing (holding) pitches.
From the Seattle Times 7/24/04:
(Of Olivo, bench coach Rene Lachemann, a former catcher, said: "Miguel is a hard worker, and that's what is going to pay off in the long run. He's not holding on to pitches quite well enough, and he has to improve on blocking pitches in the dirt." )
Interesting. Although there was a lot of love for Miguel on this board after the trade was announced, I have a feeling the Sox organization saw some of these problems that maybe weren't apparent to the casual fan.

soxtalker
07-24-2004, 01:50 PM
I've also been wondering about stolen bases against us. The opposition was running on us at will just before the trade. Now, it doesn't make too much sense that it would have been against Olivo, since he has a gun for an arm. But the problem doesn't seem to be as pronounced lately. Miguel took all his calls from the bench. Don't all three -- Davis, Burke, and Alomar -- call their games? Could this have an effect?

Oh, and I'm one of those who really didn't want to see Olivo go.

Jerome
07-24-2004, 04:18 PM
I think Burke is solid behind the plate. If he starts to hit...

Cowch44
07-24-2004, 04:21 PM
He is hitting.

elrod
07-24-2004, 04:37 PM
I'm not really quite sure why Olivo had so much trouble throwing guys out. I never thought of Garland, Loaiza or Schoeneweis as having particularly bad moves to the plate - and Buehrle is the best. Maybe Olivo doesn't transfer the ball to his throwing arm fast enough? I don't know.

jabrch
07-24-2004, 04:43 PM
Interesting. Although there was a lot of love for Miguel on this board after the trade was announced, I have a feeling the Sox organization saw some of these problems that maybe weren't apparent to the casual fan.
It's not possible that PROFESSIONAL baseball people saw things that some of the brilliant baseball minds on WSI didn't see.

Good point Brian. I said it a few times - I am not a scout, nor an analyst. I am a fan. I can look at a stat sheet, or even a secondary statistic sheet with good understanding, since I have a minor in statistics. But I don't believe that has as much to do with successfully forecasting baseball performances as others think. I have been watching and playing the game all my life - but I would never profess to be able to scout or evaluate talent nearly as well as the pros do. Our scouting department MAY just know a bit more than our fans.

jabrch
07-24-2004, 04:45 PM
.320 on the season so far - what more would you like?