PDA

View Full Version : Memory Lane: SOX/Tiger Brawl 2000

Sox Mobile
07-23-2004, 01:54 PM
I seem to have forgotten who the participants were, but i remember the benches cleared twice, alot of bloody noses, and alot of suspensions for both teams.

Besides Higginson, is there any other players from that season still on the Tigers?

Does anyone remember what started the fight?

I'm not anticipating any trouble in this series and I hope there isnt.

I'm giddy over the anti-Cub press and dont want anything to happen on our field to distract the media!

GO SOX!

SoxxoS
07-23-2004, 01:57 PM
I'm glad you brought this up:

I was one row behind the Tigers dugout for the fight(s). It was awesome. People were coming back to the dugout covered in blood. Maggs was kicking people. It was crazy. IIRC, Fick is the one who escalated the whole thing. I also believe Encarnacion and Halter were involved as well.

I am almost positive Foulke was the Sox instigator, but don't quote me.

Jerko
07-23-2004, 01:58 PM
I don't remember who "Started" it but Robert Fick comes to mind as the guy I hated the most when it was over.

hold2dibber
07-23-2004, 02:00 PM
Didn't Karim Garcia nail Foulke with a cheap shot elbow? I also recall Jeff Weaver being very involved.

mike squires
07-23-2004, 02:01 PM
I can't believe it's been 4 years!!! I remember seeing in the upper screen of my TV maggs giving someone a karate kick, i knew it was serious. and seeing 3 tigers on foulke... wqewwwwwwwwwqwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwqqqqqqqqqqqqq9oql;./P;0-P (BROOKLYNNE SAYS HELLO)

cubhater
07-23-2004, 02:07 PM
I was there and believe a couple Sox got hit before Parque retaliated by nailing a Tiger which started the first brawl. In the ninth, IIRC, Sturtze plunked another Tiger which triggered the second fight. I loved the beer shower that idiot Fick received from Sox fans.

My buddies and I went to Detroit the following weekend for the Sox series. Everything was calm on the field, but lots of Tiger fans tried starting crap with us in left field...coins, cups, french fries were hurled our way and hit Tiger fans around us. :D:

I'm going to next weekend's series in Detroit for Saturday and Sunday's games but don't have tix yet. Anyone else going to Motown?

cubhater
07-23-2004, 02:10 PM
Didn't Karim Garcia nail Foulke with a cheap shot elbow? I also recall Jeff Weaver being very involved.
I thought it was Higginson who gave Foulke a sucker punch from behind? I may be wrong.

Sox Mobile
07-23-2004, 02:14 PM
this is great, keep the info coming!

Does this mean we can blame Magglio's bum knee on the Tigers?

A lingering injury from his wild karate kicks? :wink:

Realist
07-23-2004, 02:17 PM
Does anybody happen to have that fight on tape? I didn't even see one second of it I've been dying to see it since it happened.

Also, I wish we'd have another fight like that and soon. I really think that fight solidified the team in 2000 and made them a consistant and cohesive unit. KW can even sign me to the team for one week very cheeply (37 Polish sausages, 20 up front and the rest defered over the next 5 years oughta look me in). I never lost a hockey fight during my long and illustrious career.

I may not throw that hard or that accurate, but trust me... the first 6 batters I'd face would definitely know my intentions.

Kenny, if you're reading this, I'm available for the Twins series next week. Call my agent (http://www.riptaylor.com/index2.html).

Rocky Soprano
07-23-2004, 02:17 PM
I would LOVE to see video of this, does anyone have it?

I remember watching the game on TV but I cant remember any details.

mantis1212
07-23-2004, 02:18 PM
I remember Dean Palmer coming back out of the clubhouse AFTER already being booted from the game to take part in round two. I'm sure he was fined and suspended.

Jeff Weaver was the original bean-baller from what I remember. Also remember Detroit's bench coach swinging away with everyone.

PorkChopExpress
07-23-2004, 02:19 PM
A little off topic, and maybe a bit uninformed, but what does IIRC mean?

Realist
07-23-2004, 02:20 PM
A little off topic, and maybe a bit uninformed, but what does IIRC mean?
"if I recall correctly"

Baby Fisk
07-23-2004, 02:21 PM
Here's the totally biased recap:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?id=65&category=4

Konerko05
07-23-2004, 02:22 PM
I was there and believe a couple Sox got hit before Parque retaliated by nailing a Tiger which started the first brawl. In the ninth, IIRC, Sturtze plunked another Tiger which triggered the second fight. I loved the beer shower that idiot Fick received from Sox fans.
Parque retaliated by hitting Dean Palmer, who then charged the mound and threw his helmet at Parque. After that, the chaos ensued. The second fight happened after Bobby Howry plunked another batter(I believe we hit a couple guys after the initial fight). Fat Todd Jones then came running out of the dugout at Howry to get knocked on his ass.

BigEdWalsh
07-23-2004, 02:22 PM
Here's a cool link to a game/brawl recap.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/2000/20000422/recap/detchw.html:duel:

PorkChopExpress
07-23-2004, 02:24 PM
"if I recall correctly"
Thanks.

Uncle_Patrick
07-23-2004, 02:25 PM
My buddies and I went to Detroit the following weekend for the Sox series. Everything was calm on the field, but lots of Tiger fans tried starting crap with us in left field...coins, cups, french fries were hurled our way and hit Tiger fans around us. :D:

I was at a Sox-Tigers game at Comiskey early the next season, and a bunch of Tigers fans who were a row behind us were still starting trouble over that brawl from the season before.

LuvSox
07-23-2004, 02:31 PM
I remember Karim Garcia being involved in cheap shots. And Fick, well....... he is now infamous on the South Side. Garcia was in on the bullpen fight with the fan in Boston last year as well. He's real tough when ganging up on people.

skottyj242
07-23-2004, 02:36 PM
I remember I went the next day, it was Easter Sunday and we waited through like a three hour rain delay to see if anything would happen during that game but of course nothing materialized.

PorkChopExpress
07-23-2004, 02:37 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but unlike what the caption beneath the picture in that link states, that is not Magglio being restrained. Looks a little like a Lee.

Sox Mobile
07-23-2004, 02:41 PM
Baby Fisk and Big Ed Walsh........thanx for the links!

Did anyone else notice in the ESPN article, the caption under the picture said Magglio Ordonez was being restrained........but it was clearly Carlos Lee in the picture!

Just proves what we already know ........how little recognition the 2000 ALC Champs got!

Rocky Soprano
07-23-2004, 02:41 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but unlike what the caption beneath the picture in that link states, that is not Magglio being restrained. Looks a little like a Lee.
I just caught the same thing.

Konerko05
07-23-2004, 02:49 PM
Parque retaliated by hitting Dean Palmer, who then charged the mound and threw his helmet at Parque. After that, the chaos ensued. The second fight happened after Bobby Howry plunked another batter(I believe we hit a couple guys after the initial fight). Fat Todd Jones then came running out of the dugout at Howry to get knocked on his ass.
I was wrong, it was Fat Doug Brocail who charged out of the dugout, not fat Todd Jones.

thecell
07-23-2004, 02:55 PM

This is the best quote from this article:
"Bottom line is, we won the game and we killed them," White Sox pitcher Jim Parque said. "I hope they have enough guys so we can beat them again."

npdempse
07-23-2004, 02:58 PM
I remember Karim Garcia being involved in cheap shots. Garcia was in on the bullpen fight with the fan in Boston last year as well. He's real tough when ganging up on people.
He was also one of the two guys who beat up a pizza delivery guy in FL during spring training.

He's a...how do you say?...ah yes, knob job.

Baby Fisk
07-23-2004, 03:11 PM
I was wrong, it was Fat Doug Brocail who charged out of the dugout, not fat Todd Jones.I love Brocail's quote in the ESPN recap:

"This was a good loss for the Detroit Tigers," ...who would get to know all about losing very well over the next 3 years...

thepaulbowski
07-23-2004, 03:15 PM
I thought it was Higginson who gave Foulke a sucker punch from behind? I may be wrong.
Yes it was "cheap shot" Bobby....now he is an ass bag. :tongue:

thepaulbowski
07-23-2004, 03:17 PM
I was at a Sox-Tigers game at Comiskey early the next season, and a bunch of Tigers fans who were a row behind us were still starting trouble over that brawl from the season before.
Don't remember which game but some moron Tigers fan knocked some kid over to get Magglio's HR ball and threw it on the field. Meanwhile two guys sitting behind him stood up and dumped their beers on the guy and people started throwing stuff at him. He was covered in beer, soda & peanuts. And then when security showed up they kicked him out. It was a riot.

SSN721
07-23-2004, 03:36 PM
I also seem to recall that Weaver was one of the instigators of that brawl.

Blob
07-23-2004, 03:44 PM
Fick, Weaver and Higginson were the main culprits I remember. It actually seems longer than 4 years ago to me. That was one reason I always liked Parque, he stood up for our players that day. Just wish he could actually pitch!:D:

Soxzilla
07-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Fick, Weaver and Higginson were the main culprits I remember. It actually seems longer than 4 years ago to me. That was one reason I always liked Parque, he stood up for our players that day. Just wish he could actually pitch!:D:
Hey! He could until they screwed up his arm.

LASOXFAN
07-23-2004, 05:42 PM
I also remember it as Higginson and I distinctly remember the blood on Foulke's face and the smile he had leaving the field.

That was a huge point in the season IMO. Gave the team some character. That's why I was rooting for some retaliation against Cleveland.

Foulke You
07-23-2004, 07:19 PM
Ah, the memories, I sat near 3B that game and what a doozy of a game it was! My vivid memories from that game include:

1. Jeff Weaver coming BACK from the locker room in a grey t-shirt to re-enter the 2nd brawl. That cost the little punk about 5 extra games suspension if I remember right.

2. Robert Fick getting the treatment from Sox fans in the bullpen. Let it be known that the Sox fans did not shower him with beer and peanuts until after he gave the "Stone Cold Salute" (Two middle fingers) to everyone out in Right Field. Mr. Fick was asking for it.

3. Magglio Ordonez, 5 Tool Player, Martial Arts Master!

4. Jerry Manuel trying to pull his players away from the fighting. I remember he got suspended for 3 games and I was extremely puzzled by that. He was trying to play peacemaker and wasn't even shouting and he got the same suspension as "The Busher" Phil Garner did and Garner was in the middle of the brawl!

5. I remember two Astros fans sitting behind me in the thickest Texas accent you could think of saying over and over during the fights "Man, This is great!!"

6. Higginson throwing his helmet at Parque when Parque was retaliating for 3 Sox batters including Thomas and Ordonez getting beaned.

7. Foulke took a cheapshot from what I believe was Higginson. Totally blindsided him. However, he emerged from a pile with blood on his face from somebody (Todd Jones I think..) spiking him while he was on the ground.

Overall, this was the most vicious basebrawl I've ever seen ...TV or otherwise. There were so many separate fights going on besides the main ones. Many times, base-brawls are just a lot of yelling, finger pointing, and shoving. This one was an out and out fist fight. Guys punching each other on the ground, bloody jerseys, bullpens fighting with bullpens, coaches yelling and pushing. I have no idea how they ever got it under control but they did. I guess after ejecting half of each team, there wasn't enough for a fight anymore.:cool: If anyone has this one on tape, I'd be willing to trade something from my collection for it.

CanOfCorn
07-23-2004, 07:33 PM
That brawl was great. Sparked us on a Sherman-esque march through Cleveland and New York. Also, during Manuel's suspension, he arguably had the greatest moment in his career, dressing up as a bellboy at the hotel when the team came in.

I wonder why Jerry never did that kind of stuff again.

cubhater
07-23-2004, 07:42 PM
That brawl was great. Sparked us on a Sherman-esque march through Cleveland and New York. Also, during Manuel's suspension, he arguably had the greatest moment in his career, dressing up as a bellboy at the hotel when the team came in.

I wonder why Jerry never did that kind of stuff again.
He's doing it right now after his unemployment benefits ran out. :D:

TheBull
07-23-2004, 07:51 PM
I also remember it as Higginson and I distinctly remember the blood on Foulke's face and the smile he had leaving the field.

That was a huge point in the season IMO. Gave the team some character. That's why I was rooting for some retaliation against Cleveland. The highlight for me from the 2001 home opener against Detroit was getting Higginson to flip me and my cousin off. We were riding him as best we could from 163 row 1 about him being a punk and cheap shot artist. Late in the game, the Sox mounted a rally and Higgy and Encarnarcion converged on a gapper that went to wall right below us.

I try to watch my mouth out of respect for others, but this was too good to pass up. We let him have it with every insult we could blurt out while he was in front of us. While walking back to LF, he flipped us off behind his glove and told us to FO. The hooky playing mailman behind me was high fiving us and then ducked down because he thought his boss would see him on TV in uniform and not working.

FWIW, my cousin’s wife used to be Higgy’s personal trainer in Michigan for a while and said he is a major J.O. off field too and she was a Tigers fan.

ihatethecubs
07-23-2004, 10:40 PM
i have that whole game on tape its great. i love the shot of fick flicking off the fans in right field and within a half of a second 20 cups of beer and garbage came barrelling down on him.

guillen4life13
07-23-2004, 11:13 PM
i have that whole game on tape its great. i love the shot of fick flicking off the fans in right field and within a half of a second 20 cups of beer and garbage came barrelling down on him.

Man, you know what you should do?

Import it into your computer and put it up in a filesharing/p2p location. That would be fantastic.

Hell, you should make copies and sell that (though I guess it's pretty illegal).

IDK... I just really want to see it!

Aidan
07-23-2004, 11:23 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/news/2000/04/27/fight_suspensions_ap/lg_graphic.jpg (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/news/2000/04/27/fight_suspensions_ap/)

Sox Mobile
07-23-2004, 11:55 PM
Thanx to all the posters for responding to my post! the eye witness reports made my day.

If anyone does start handing out copies of that game, I would knock my Mom down to get to the front of the line.

he_gone_89
07-24-2004, 12:45 AM
hmmm...

this happended in 2000,and it seemed like it made the sox bond together
for the rest of the season en route to a division crown

perhaps if another sox-tigers fight were to occur,would it pull the team together enough to win the division again?

the anticipation would bring out more people and I,for one,would get a kick out of seeing shingo possibly bustin out some moves from the matrix:D:

Aidan
07-24-2004, 01:04 AM
hmmm...

this happended in 2000,and it seemed like it made the sox bond together
for the rest of the season en route to a division crown

perhaps if another sox-tigers fight were to occur,would it pull the team together enough to win the division again?

the anticipation would bring out more people and I,for one,would get a kick out of seeing shingo possibly bustin out some moves from the matrix:D:Yeah, and Bobby Higginson is still with the Tigers. I remember when I was at a Tigers @ White Sox game and the whole left field bleachers were chanting, "Bobby, Bobby... YOU SUCK!!!" He got so pissed of that at the end of the inning he turned around and gave all the left field fans a "Degeneration X" Suck It crotch chop. :tongue:

Blob
07-24-2004, 10:16 AM
Yeah, and Bobby Higginson is still with the Tigers. I remember when I was at a Tigers @ White Sox game and the whole left field bleachers were chanting, "Bobby, Bobby... YOU SUCK!!!" He got so pissed of that at the end of the inning he turned around and gave all the left field fans a "Degeneration X" Suck It crotch chop. :tongue:
We booed him last night.

MetalliSox
07-24-2004, 12:41 PM
I was down at school so never got to see the game. Remember watching Baseball Tonight and SportsCenter over and over.
Always wanted to see if someone had a tape of that game.